Runner (203)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ShadowMaat
    Oh yeah, the McKay-Ford dynamic was terrific, but I still felt that McKay's whining was a little too overboard and the screaming like a girl thing was embarrassing. And I don't particularly care to be embarrassed by/for one of my favorite characters on the show.

And for someone who couldn't even keep his ammo clip in his gun in Siege 3, McKay managed to shoot Ford just fine in Runner.

Incidentally, did anyone else find it a little incongruous that Beckett, who's always scared and whiney about having to go out in the field and who professes to know almost as little (or less) about weapons than McKay, seemed to handle an assault rifle just fine? Even McKay sticks to handguns.
    Yeah, I noticed those, too. I didn't really like McKay's ammo mishap in "The Siege III," myself. It seemed incongruous considering he handled himself just fine against the Wraith in "The Defiant One." TPTB do seem to be overplaying McKay's damsel-in-distress thing this season.
    Thornbird: I'm Major Robort Thornbird. And you are?
    Jack: Captain James T. Kirk of the starship Enterprise.
    Thornbird: Your dog tags say otherwise.
    Jack: ... They're lying.

Comment

Hmm, I actually think I liked this episode more than the first two of this season, of which I really wasn’t that impressed with. I think watching BSG has somewhat ruined my enjoyment of SGA.

Anyway. Really loved the Ford and McKay moments. Best parts of the ep. The serious discussion those two had was the best part for me. I think they can tone it down just a tad with Rodney as comic relief. Though I loved his concern about all the radiation.

I wasn’t very thrilled with what they had done to Ford in Seige III and what they had of SuperFord in Siege III wasn’t that great, imo, but it was the best part of this episode.

Shep/Ford moment at the end was another high point. SGA writers could end up turning this into a dark storyline and end up with Shep having to kill Ford, but I’m not sure if they are bold enough to take that step. It would work for me though, rather than have some nice, happy ending. And no I’m not advocating killing off Ford because I like the character, but the writers have chosen to go down this road, and I don’t really see them bring back RSF when they resolve this storyline. So I’d rather have his character go out with a bang (pardon the pun) than a whimper and be tossed to the sideline and forgotten. Have this storyline have some lasting impact.

I’m liking Caldwell. He may be riding Shep, who I admit is my favorite character, but he was right that Ford is a liability. Though his comment about Sumner was kind of cold.

Poor Teyla. Why even bother to create the character……… I hope the writers can give her some much needed substance this season, but it obviously didn’t start with this episode. And please loose that top. I think the Clothe Teyla Fund raised enough money to at least buy her something new.

The introduction of Dex wasn’t half bad. Better than I thought it would be. I’m willing to give this character a chance. Now it’s in the hands of the writers.

Overall, pretty good episode, imo. I liked it.
      IMO always implied.

Comment

Kudos to RSF - I actually felt sympathy for Ford in this ep. I'm sorry they canned (demoted) him but they are actually doing more with the character than they did last season.

Beckett was as enduring as ever.

Other than that I pretty much hated this episode.

Ronan, I still haven't figured out why they felt they needed a beefcake character - doesn't add anything to the series from my perspective.

I am glad to see others are as dishearted by the development of McKay this season as I am. Ironically, I was dubious when I first read they were including his character in the cast. But I quickly warmed up to him.

Now, they seem to have backtracked on all character development from last season and have reduced to him to nothing more than a comic buffoon. If I wanted to watch slapstick I'd watch some Stooges reruns. In episodes past McKay provided humor (it was sharp and pithy) - now he is merely the butt of the joke and the humor is just plain mean. Yes, he was whiny and annoying and he even snapped at children - but he also tried to hide those children from the wraith. As far as I can see season two's Rodney has no redeeming qualities. I didnt' care for the gun scene in Siege III, I was a little annoyed with the shrinking thing in The Intruder but Runner was abysmal as far as McKay's character was concerned.

I never understood why they felt they needed to mess things up this season - too many character changes. McKay isn't the only character in deterioration but is definitely the most obvious.

Sorry, but I am disturbed by what they're doing and I will not keep watching it if this trend continues. Unfortunately the season is probably nearing the end of filming so I'm not expecting any improvement. Hopefully for the sake of all the talented actors on this show - others don't feel as strongly as I do.

Comment

Originally posted by LoneStar1836
          I’m liking Caldwell. He may be riding Shep, who I admit is my favorite character, but he was right that Ford is a liability. Though his comment about Sumner was kind of cold.
          I'm liking Caldwell a lot, too. He was exactly right about Ford. He's one my favorites on the show, but he could be a liability if caught by the wraith. And whoa- when Caldwell zinged Shep about Summner, I had to say ouch! It was cold, but it knocked Sheppard back in the frame of mind that he needed him to be in to understand what he was talking about it. In that moment I both hated Caldwell and loved him, and switched my vote to him being military commander on Atlantis. Sheppard is too close to the situation to be an effective commander. Better for Caldwell who knows no-one or has any history with anyone to be military head, than Shep who leads with his heart.
          "You cannot reason with your own heart;
          it has it's own laws and beats about things
          which the intellect scorns."
          - Mark Twain -

Comment

Originally posted by SophieTucker
            Sorry, but I am disturbed by what they're doing and I will not keep watching it if this trend continues. Unfortunately the season is probably nearing the end of filming so I'm not expecting any improvement. Hopefully for the sake of all the talented actors on this show - others don't feel as strongly as I do.
            You're assuming the characterization and story arcs have not progressed in a different, and more acceptable, direction as already written and filmed.
            ~*~*~*~*~*
            not so ancient

http://www.sloganizer.net/en/style4,...pc-ancient.png
            http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v7...thejourney.jpg http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v7...thejourney.jpg http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v7...thejourney.jpg http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v7...thejourney.jpg

PLEASE donate to the American Red Cross for Hurricane Disaster Relief ~ My LJ ~ My Disclaimer ~ A Mitch Pileggi Discussion Group

Comment

Originally posted by not so ancient
              You're assuming the characterization and story arcs have not progressed in a different, and more acceptable, direction as already written and filmed.
              God, I hope your right
              crosses fingers (3 weeks till Trinity)
              sigpic

Comment

I must be one of the few people on this thread who didn't mind the double dose of Rodney goodness... I have always been of the opinion that Rodney teeters on the edge of annoyance anyway but without Sheppard to pull him into line... the one man show can obviously be quite trying. If anything, I think the episode proves to me quite clearly how well the two men bounce off each other and absorb one another's quirks.

During the last season, it was apparent that Rodney was gradually getting less whiny... but I still think we had glimpses of that side to his personality now and again but for the Wraith threat to keep him occupied. I don't Rodney is the kind of man who should be idle for too long... he thinks too much and doing so... he talks too much...

I found the sunblock angle quite amusing but maybe because I live in a part of the world which purportedly has the highest rate of skin cancer in the world. Everyone is paranoid about using sunscreen, hats and some kind of covering when going outdoors... ... children are sent off to school everyday covered with 30+ SPF sunscreen and floppy hats... something that is mandatory these days, I believe. To see that someone else that paranoid about skin cancer resonated with me, especially contrasted with all that over abundant gungho attitude that everyone else seems to have.

The most refreshing thing about Rodney (and to some extent, Beckett) is that he has personality traits different to most of the other characters in the show. He talks too much, not afraid to show his fears, whines (says what everyone is afraid to say) and pushes everyone's patience to untold limits. But that's who he is... It's a nice contrast to everyone's seeming lack of fear, stoicism and politeness. I rather liked what Major Lorne said to him about his "having to be some kind of genius because Col Sheppard hasn't shot you yet"... (which incidentally, evokes "I shot him" in Hide and Seek).

I think we were presented with the whole spectrum of the character in the episode... vanity, fearfulness, a man pushed to limits and even a little tendresse in his scenes with Ford.... No... I didn't mind Rodney at all...
                and hopefully we'll see more of that tendresse in later episodes.
                sigpic
                "When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth"

Comment

Who else things that Ford is going to secure that wraith dart for himself?

Comment

Originally posted by Auralis
                    How, its not like they transported him into the Dart itself just into some type of transport buffer. Now once they take him out of the buffer on the mother ship I think the Wraith in the immediate vicinty are scrwd and Ford will be in enzyne heaven.
                    Joseph Mallozzi -"In the meantime, I'm into season 5 of OZ (where the show takes an unfortunate hairpin turn into "the not so wonderful world of fantasy")"

^^^ Kinda sounds like seasons 9 and 10 of SG-1 to me. Thor, ya got Aspirin?

AGateFan has officially Gone Fishin (with Jack, Sam, Daniel, Teal'c) and is hoping Atlantis does not take that same hairpin turn.

Comment

Originally posted by Auralis
                      Me!

Did anyone else sorta laugh when Sheppard was telling Ronan that the Stargate is guarded and Ronan was like, "Stargate?" and Sheppard replied, "Stargate, big circle thing" moving his head in a circular motion?

lol
                      Go SG-1! Go ATLANTIS!
                      WOOHOO!

<<Amanda Tapping's the only sweet hunny bunny for me>>

Comment

I enjoyed this episode a lot.

I can see how McKay could be reduced to comic foil without any of the depth. But, his scenes were so funny and I was laughing out loud.

Jason Momoa is a very good actor. He brought some depth to his role which I was afraid would just be a muscle man with a little angst. I like the character of Ronon. This one's a winner.

Rainbow Sun Francks did a fabulous job. It was heartbreaking seeing the sweet, joyful Ford popping up in between the crazed, maniacal freak. I wasn't a big fan of Ford, but I hope they find a way to keep him on the show after this arc is finished.

Caldwell was great. He just seems like such an adult among our crew. He brought up some very important points and it was nice to see Sheppard get confronted for some of his decisions although Caldwell was a little mean bringing up Sumner.

Comment

I quite enjoyed this action packed episode. Love the interaction between McKay and Ford. In fact, I thought Rainbow Sun Franks was great in this episode. Now was Ford really about to shoot Sheppard before Ronan took him out? I can understand he really wanting to shoot McKay (since even saner character feel that way from time to time) but did the gun go off only after Ronan jumped on Ford or was Ford really nut enough to want to at least wound Sheppard?

Another minor thing, I don't know if it's just a issue of my tv (and/or video tape) but the fight between Ronan and Ford was a bit dark to see.

I hope it won't be too long until we see Ford again (Sheppard should have mentioned meeting his cousin...actually, McKay should have brought up the trip back to Earth).
                          I just love shows about wormholes!

Comment

I laughed myself silly at Rodney's suntan lotion (100 spf!) becuase... such a thing exists, in Canada, but it's banned in the USofA because it contains Mexoryl. Makes me wonder if that's not some kind of in=joke....

Recognized Major Lorne as soon as I saw him from that Unas SG1 ep. Interesting to see they're transferring some of the guest characters from SG1 to SGA. Just do NOT, repeat DO NOT, xfer Felger, not unless he vanishes in a transporter accident. Ack. Oh in fact, think that SG1 episode hits syndication next week (with Lorne)

Ford was great. Friend-pal-buddy one minute, "I'm going to kill you" the next. Definitely has some problems! Can't wait to see him again. The scene with Shep was great; before he runs off into the beam he yells soemthing like I'll show you! Part of him doesn't mind killing McKay for defending himself (as Ford was about to aim his gun at McKay). Sorta of schizo to some degree but it sure seems like he's trying to prove himself to Shep to let him back on the team and back to Atlantis. Oh and the fight scene with Dex was good too.

McKay was overall good, especially when confronted with Ford, but dind't care for the screaming after he ran off shooting. It was so much like the Capital One tv ad that I keep seeing that I couldn't help associate it with it, and I'd like to think he wouldn't yell so much, not after a whole year in Pegasus.... But I don't mind McKay whining, but would rather him whine with purpose, not just to whine. When he put his foot down adn told Ford he was going off to the jumper by himself, THAT was McKay. Obnoxious, do what he wants.

Sheppard - quite enjoyed his scenes with Caldwell, who is shaping up to be a good characte.r He's not so much a jerk as insensitive in some respects. Geez, is every commander who visits Atlantis going to drag up Sumner and shove that in Sheppard's face? I mean, Everett acknowkedges what Shep did was correct, but along comes Caldwell to twist the knife in again.

I didn't consider this to be a great episode because it just didn't flow smoothly. I mean, Beckett is prepping for surgery in the broad daylight but doesn't get started till it's dark? Geez, was he making Dex fill out insurance forms or what? And no locals? No stitches? pick pick

Dex was introduced well (considering how TPTB made the mistake of introducing Jonas - you NEVER kill off a character and introduce his replacement in teh same peisode and tell people to like him). Looks like the producers learned Got an episode in between and Ford is still alive, if not somewhat psycho, and it seems that Dex is leery about the Atlantis folk, which make sense.

Hmm, McKay's got a new shirt. Wow! but he was back in blue at the end. Like all blue better than brown with a blue stripe. Brown & blue, eh, don't go together.

What I want to see in future eps is more Sheppard & McKay snark; it was missing as Mckay did most of his snarking to the replacement major....

More obnoxious McKay (but not just whining for the sake of it)

More Shep

Comment

Good episode. The introduction of Ronen Dex (sp?) was very well-done IMO. The parts with McKay were hilarious. Between his homemade sunscreen, listing off how much radiation he was exposed to, and then the scenes of him from after he shot Ford to when he got stuck up a tree were classic moments. The action was pretty sweet, especially Ronen vs. Super-Ford. I must admit, it was kinda nice to see Ford again, even if he is addicted to the Ensyme and now crazy. The showdown between him and Sheppard was very good. I did not expect him to run into the Wraith beam, so it took me by surprise.

I could continue to rant, but I doubt I could come up with anything different then what you guys already talked about. I enjoyed SG-1 better, but I still loved Atlantis. I give it ****1/2.
                              Yes, I really do look like (a younger) Daniel. Don't believe me? Look for yourself.

Hey, Mitchell! You want a turn?

Comment

Ford-Rainbow Sun Franks did an incredible job. It was heartwrenching to see the normally sunny Aiden shine through (He got promoted, good for him!), turn to desperation at trying to break through his alienation, his despair and then his his more aggressive and threatened moments. It was so smart to force Ford and McKay together, because they didn't have reason to be close and McKay would be the least threatening to him. I think it enabled Ford to interact much more freely with an Atlantis presence that wouldn't be so much of a grounded presence for Ford, if that makes any sense. On a more humorous note, I couldn't help but ask McKay, "You want to test SuperFord's prime prediction power?'

Ronan-I like Ronan. I can't imagine losing seven years of your life to his existance.

Sheppard and Caldwell-I really like the dynamic Caldwell brings, adding a more detached and cold but still valid point-of-view. I don't see him as ruthless as Maybourne wanting to imprison/kill Teal'c because he might be indirectly useful, but appreciate what he adds to the mix. Their clash adds more insight to the situation.

I found the Sheppard/Teyla scene in the cave amusing as the Atlantis rendition of the infamous "It's my sidearm, I swear."

MALP scene-Could someone help me with this?-I don't understand how you can assess the status of a planet from what's right next to the Stargate. I can't imagine the only place on the planet they occupied is right next to the Stargate. They could still be surviving somewhere else or underground like we've already seen with the Genii. I can accept the 'more exploring done offscreen' for other situations, and primitive cultures may not have expanded as much, but in this scenario it was plainly evident that everyone was telling Ronan his world was dead because of one MALP picture.

McKay
                                I've read many posts that express concerns of McKay being shown as a buffoon, and I do see where you're coming from, but I must disagree and hope that I'm not in an apparent minority. I didn't see McKay as over the top or out of character. And I especially enjoyed his interactions with Ford, from trying to mollify him to refusing to take another step to "When did this escalate to killing?!" while upside down.

I didn't see his behavior as any sort of contradiction to last season or in spite of any character development because this situation was very different from others. In this episode, Rodney was completely out of his element with no clear objective. He went to this planet because Ford was on it, not in any scientific capacity, no clear goal to invest his energy toward. His role, situation, and safety were all uncertain as he trailed around a forest soaked in radiation, completely out of place, with an off-balance Ford, who he was suppose to be psyching (because he has such good people skills). There was nothing straight forward or familiar; nothing down his alley to help him feel like he had some control. I mean, when Ford was pursuing him with a gun, Rodney was lost, running through a strange, dark forest by himself. That's why I think his whining and reactionary behaviors were amplified. In "The Defiant One" it was clear cut that Sheppard was battling a Wraith in order to regain the puddle jumper and needed help. In other situations like "The Storm" and "The Eye" Rodney's primary function was as a scientist, he was in familiar surroundings, and therefore probably felt less out of control. He had to deal with manipulating the city under Kolya's threat but with the outstanding objective of bringing up the shields for him to focus on. He could apply his aptitudes to the situation.

Last week I was bewildered how the radiation exposure was written off as a sunburn, when some side-effects could have been mentioned as a result of their endeavor, and considering that radiation poisoning took Daniel's life. So I was very pleased to see the concern revisited. I can understand McKay being even more sensitive about radiation after Intruder; Hermiod thought it was enough to kill them.

It's also possible he was additionally unnerved by Ford, because even though he's seen his colleagues die and been in dangerous situations himself, seeing Ford, someone he worked with, unhinged and lost part of his mind brings to light a different sort of threat, from Ford himself but also the notion of what happened to him.

I'm not saying his character should remain stagnant. I don't think a year ago he would have actually shot at Ford when threatened. I wonder what he was actually aiming for, because that was a good shot to the arm.
                                Last edited by sparklegem; 30 July 2005, 07:44 PM. Reason: rephrasing

Comment

Working...
                                X