Runner (203)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I enjoyed this ep.

I agree with those of you who say that TPTB are writing McKay a bit too goofy and whiny. They need to tone it down-he's experienced a lot in the past year and SOME of that should show, don'tcha think?

I liked the way Ford was written. I think someone used the phrase "happy puppy" or something to describe his initial interaction with McKay. The mood swings that followed were a good way to show how messed up he is. RSF did an awesome job. I hope to see him again SOON.

LOL at Shep's "What the hell are you doing?" and the look on his face when Teyla was trying to get her hands untied. I like the bits of humor they drop in even in tense situations. That's one of the reasons I like both shows.

Next week-the Kissing Bandit ep. I can't wait.

Proud Member-Hussies Union, Local # 69

Comment

I rewatched the second-half of the episode on the second Skiffy broadcast, and noticed something I had previously missed when Rodney shot Ford: Ford was raising his gun toward McKay! Rodney was just reacting automatically to defend himself. Not surprisingly, he lost all nerve after that, and took off running. Which is good, I'm not sure I'd really enjoy the character arc that would result if Rodney was forced to kill a friend, no matter how interesting the story might be. Leave that burden to Sheppard.

a time to mourn

Comment

I think Teyla was a battered wife/girlfriend before she joined up with Atlantis. (which would explain why she was so quick to want to get away from her people).

Why? Check it out. Here comes big strong Ronan Dax. He shoots her in the back. Ties her up. Spends 95% of his time with her pointing a gun at her head. But there's like 20 seconds when he opens up and tells a sad story about not being able to settle down. Awwww.

So Teyla spends the whole time giving him 'I'm hot for you' looks and is quick to obey when he tells her to rip off his shirt. The woman has issues. She should be feeling a lot of things toward Ronan. Fear, distrust, defensiveness, etc, but pity and lust shouldn't be on the list.

D

Comment

That is probably the worst idea I have ever read. Sorry. :-/

Comment

Brilliant episode, this Dex character is certainly going to be very interesting. What race was Ronan Dex from because they certainly seem to have some slightly more advanced technology and I'm sure there would be at least a few survivors left.

Comment

Perhaps its because I'm fairer skinned than even McKay, but I really liked the whole SPF and sunblock stuff. And his running list of radiation exposure amused me, because I remember reading (I think in the Intruder thread) someone here saying that the team should all get cancer from all the radiation exposure.

The whining, meanwhile, I thought was merited. Rodney really had no reason to be on this particular mission, other than yelling for Ford. I mean, I'm a huge DH fan & I liked his part, but realistically, there's really no reason for non-military to track down Ford here. In fact, that's why I was originally wondering if he'd be in the episode much.

Comment

Yes, me again...LOL.. Could some of you that enjoyed Ronon Dex/Momoa post somethings on his Ronon Dex/Momoa threads. That would be so great if you would thanks a bunch.
                A great weekend to all!!
                Purple's Biggest Fan
                A Purple Creation

Atlantis Dex Style

Dex Devil

Comment

Originally posted by derrickh
                  I think Teyla was a battered wife/girlfriend before she joined up with Atlantis. (which would explain why she was so quick to want to get away from her people).

Why? Check it out. Here comes big strong Ronan Dax. He shoots her in the back. Ties her up. Spends 95% of his time with her pointing a gun at her head. But there's like 20 seconds when he opens up and tells a sad story about not being able to settle down. Awwww.

So Teyla spends the whole time giving him 'I'm hot for you' looks and is quick to obey when he tells her to rip off his shirt. The woman has issues. She should be feeling a lot of things toward Ronan. Fear, distrust, defensiveness, etc, but pity and lust shouldn't be on the list.

D
                  I don't think Teyla has battered woman's syndrome, but I do think that the way Teyla has been written (weakly) allows interpretations of her in such a manner, particularly if she ends up romantically involved with Ronan.
                  sigpic

Comment

Stargate Atlantis' "The Runner" introduced the series' new character, Ronon Dex (Jason Momoa), and we got to see Aiden Ford again. I thought Rainbow Sun Francks did an excellent job portraying Ford going through a metamorphosis from the sweet young man he was into the super Wraith killing machine he's becoming. It was interesting to see him swiftly transform from his intense SuperFord persona to his joyful, eager Lt. Ford persona. He was so happy to hear that Sheppard had been promoted to Lt. Colonel.

And so terrific to see how sincere and earnest Sheppard is with Ronon
                    Dex, and in his efforts to try and save Ford. Joe really has his
                    character firmly defined, and he's working on the nuances now. Good
                    work, Joe.

Very nice to see Major Lorne, last seen in SG1's season seven episode, "Enemy Mine." And the actor behind SG1's SuperSoldier, Dan Payne, portrayed Lt. Reed in tonight's episode. What a cutie! Hope we get to see both of them again in SGA.

So...what is Ford going to do now that he's been scooped up by the Wraith? What is Atlantis going to do? Is Teyla going to fall for the charms of Ronon Dex? What is about Ronon Dex that caused the Wraith to stop feeding from him? Is his race going to turn out to be like Aris Boch's people -- the Wraith can't feed off of them, like the Goa'uld couldn't process Aris' people?

Morjana

SG1/SGA/SGU - Saving Earth/Atlantis/?, one mission at a time!
                    SG1-Spoilergate Richard Dean Anderson Fans Abydos Gate Morjana
                    Morjana's Blog Twitter

Comment

And in an intersting production note, the cave Ronan was hiding in was the same cave set as was used in SG-1's 'Avalon' for Glastonbury Tor(?). IMO, they did a great job re-dressing the set to make it look entirely different. Rocks and gravel and plants replaced the smooth sandy floors, along with "sunlight" giving a completely different feel to the environment.

Hopefully they'll pull off reusing the standing village set just as well. It was pretty easy to see the recycling of the castle/temple/ruins set last season between the two shows.

a time to mourn

Comment

Originally posted by Merlin7
                        This ep finally DID cross the line with Rodney. I found it amusing in SIEGE and even INTRUDER. The moments were brief. But Rodney's characterization was all over the map. So far his only recognizable moments this ep were the brief interactions with Shep and a few of his moments with Ford. I am HOPING, and I'm not even a Rodney fan, that TPTB are setting up that Rodney is having a REACTION TO CERTAIN DEATH situations. Post traumatic stress type reactions that they actually acknowlege on the show at some point. Soon.
                        I'm starting to feel like I am the only person who is more annoyed with people not liking Rodney's characterization than with the characterization itself. (Not directed at specifically you, Merlin7, but just in general... I understand their reasons for not liking it, and I know they are valid, but I am just starting to feel like this is taking all the fun out of the series for me.) After I watched this eppy, I've gotten to thinking if Rodney's got the same thing as I have, namely thanatophobia, fear of death, which seems to manifest as extreme anxiety. I've never really had it in a public place, but when I do get thanatophobic at home, I can barely keep things in my hands, hit the wrong keys on the computer, babble, can't breathe, and just generally freak out and act somewhat hysterical. Anyways, this is my 2 cents, which is probably wrong anyways...

Comment

In my view, I thought this episode was alright. It's not the best, sorta stuck between OK and good.

So we get to see Ford again, he looks rather cool, an one man army - go FORD!

But seriously, I thought this episode was kinda weak overall. It's nice that we get a new replacement, Ronan, but I doubt he wants to be Sheppard's new "buddy" aka "side-kick" in the adventures to be had on Stargate Atlantis, and I don't see him letting go off his past and struggles at a click of a switch.

The man's been on the run for 7 years, if the writers make him all goodie in one episode, I'll be on a killing-spree myself. I find McKay gone from serious, to well a clown. This is not the McKay we knew in season 1, there's a difference between "is funny" and "trying to be funny".

Well it's not a bad episode I suppose but it could have been better.

I'll give this one... a 6.5 out of 10
                          Go SG-1! Go ATLANTIS!
                          WOOHOO!

<<Amanda Tapping's the only sweet hunny bunny for me>>

Comment

Loved It!!! Way better then I thought.
                            *Post in Peace, Yah or Nah*
                            *Go to Sokar you Cylon fracker*
                            *I can't spell vary good, but I can read mis- spelled words vary good*
                            *And then the Ori said, "if your thread is dead then let their be a new one"*
                            *It's Science Fiction. Not Science with Fiction.*
                            *Sproiler Tags should only be used when you are going to be mentioning something that you can't already read on Gateworld*
                            *When I talk out my butt it smells like sarcasm*

Comment

So Runner has a double entendre... two men on the run... Ronon Dex and Lt Aiden Ford... One runs toward and the other runs away. Both have been touched by the Wraith. Interesting juxtaposition.

Ronon Dex is a Runner... the hunted turned hunter... Ford also a Runner becomes the hunter and the hunted... Both are homeless to some degree. Dex was on the run... no place to call home... The place he once called home is no more. Ford, on the other hand, has abandoned the home he once knew because he is not the man he once was. The former accepts the help of strangers and the latter rejects the help of those he once called "friends".

There's a lot of running in the episode. Extensive amounts of vegetation gives the impression of great distances that must be covered. But there is a lot of movement... on legs... of individuals hiding, searching, hunting, fighting and confronting.

Friendship and trust are the key ideas in the episodes. Does friendship lead to trust or does trust lead to an uneasy alliance?

Surrounding these two men are others who will determine their fate... will they help or hinder? Some show their fear plainly (Caldwell, McKay and Beckett), while others fear for them (Sheppard and Teyla). The two men have an encounter at the end... at which their places are changed... for now...

An interesting episode (with a better than expected introduction of Dex and an all too brief reunion with Ford)... with Stargate trying new things... not sure if it succeeds on every level but I applaud them for taking the plunge.
                              sigpic
                              "When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth"

Comment

Originally posted by Krissy Mae Anderson
                                I'm starting to feel like I am the only person who is more annoyed with people not liking Rodney's characterization than with the characterization itself. (Not directed at specifically you, Merlin7, but just in general... I understand their reasons for not liking it, and I know they are valid, but I am just starting to feel like this is taking all the fun out of the series for me.) After I watched this eppy, I've gotten to thinking if Rodney's got the same thing as I have, namely thanatophobia, fear of death, which seems to manifest as extreme anxiety. I've never really had it in a public place, but when I do get thanatophobic at home, I can barely keep things in my hands, hit the wrong keys on the computer, babble, can't breathe, and just generally freak out and act somewhat hysterical. Anyways, this is my 2 cents, which is probably wrong anyways...

IF it's a phobia and they address it on the show. Not a problem. But he's faced Death over and over last year and didn't react like this. I understood and it was in character for Rodney not to want to be there. For him to complain about alot of stuff. But this was just too much and too OOC from what I saw last year. It takes alot to make me cringe and I'm not a big Rodney fan and have always liked him best at his most acerbic. I loved him on SG1 being a total A$$. Loved it. But this was different. If there's a reason for it. Cool. If it's just for comedy. Not as cool.

I mean..I thought it was totally realistic for him to eject the gun clip in SIEGE and to make himself small in INTRUDER. And there were quite a few moments in RUNNER that were realistic for him. To a point.

Comment

Working...
                                X