Point of View (306)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Chaka's_Mum
    I think I get what Teal'c's driving at - but it's not an easy thing to put into words. I've tried about five times now and deleted every paragraph, one by one. I think it's just a matter of perception - after all, we view this universe as the 'real' one because we live in it. But that doesn't necessarily actually factually make it so - it is so because we believe it to be. To OUTeal'c, he's not an inhabitant of the alternate universe. What he does there will not impact on his own reality, so his behaviour (and, to a degree, the reality itself) is of no consequence. Or something like that. I'll stop waffling before my brain really starts to hurt...

I actually think what he meant was that their reality was the only one of concequence because it is in our reality (at least at that time) he was the only version of himself strong enough to defect from the Goaulds, and by the other versions of him not defecting, he felt (IMHO) that they were not worthy of living- hence why he shot himself- the Teal'c who was still loyal to Apophis...the false god- dead false god...^_^
    sigpic
    Being a shipper, is the only way to be.
    |My Fanfics|My Fanart|My Orig. Stories|

Comment

I think Teal'c is just being practical. To his mind, the alternate version of himself can either reject Apophis and help them, or reject them and help Apophis. While Jack expects the alternate to be simply zatted, that's not exactly the best solution because he can regain consciousness and raise the alarm - and they don't know how long he's going to stay knocked out. This is not a problem with a dead AUTeal'c. All Teal'c was doing was ensuring that, either way, his alternate wasn't going to betray them. He offered his AU version a chance to assist them, and then took the necessary steps to eliminate AUTeal'c as a threat when it turned out that he wouldn't.

Being a fellow of few words, he doesn't spend his time blabbering pointless justifications of what he does; particularly when he can explain himself later on for the Mission Report when things are a bit less fraught. He shot AUTeal'c dead rather than zatting him - the safest option under the circumstances. As he views 'his' reality to be the only one of consequence (as we all would, I suspect), he's not particularly concerned about how his actions will affect this one.
      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Okohme
        Was anyone else deeply disturbed by the scene where Hammond is being tortured?
        That scene was a bit off. I think we're all used to just seeing him in his office and the briefing room...
        my lovely avatar is courtesy of Lies, SamJackShipLover

Comment

I usually get a bit confused by alternate reality-type things (it doesn't take much to confuse me!), but I enjoyed this one.

'Alternate' Sams character was so different to the 'Sam' we know; not less competent, but less confident. I'm not usually a fan of 'ship (I'm not against it, it's just not my thing), but even I was moved by 'alternate' Sam as she mourned the loss of her Jack.

I found Jack's reactions when he had both Sam's talking in techno-babble to him very funny. I'm glad Jack doesn't understand that type of thing - when they explain it to him, they explain it to me too!
          sigpic
          Please don't laugh, this is one of my first attempts at a banner.

Comment

The irony is that RDA deliberately chose to play Jack like this - a bit...well...dumb (his words, not mine!) because he thought it would be quite fun to watch a highly decorated, senior Air Force officer who didn't 'get' that sort of thing.

Personally, I think he's doing us a big favour because I don't 'get' that sort of thing either.

The best bits are still the ones where the two Sams are interacting with each other. The sequence where one is holding the generator and the other switches it on is brilliantly done. I also like the way they manage to have our Sam holding AUSam's hand in the infirmary - that looks bang on, too.

Not to mention the 'We'll figure it out' not only spoken in perfect time, but also at almost identical pitch!
            sigpic

Comment

Yes, it is all smoothly, maybe even flawlessly, done and looks so natural. It came over so well that it was only after it had finished that I realised just how clever it was, it was that convincing.

I think that Jack's character works very well like this, and I suspect there are a lot of people out there like him, both in the military and civilian life. Jack's 'intelligence' are his instincts and understanding of people, even if he can e judgemental at times (who isn't?) and, in these respects, he is brilliant.
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Chaka's_Mum View Post
                The best bits are still the ones where the two Sams are interacting with each other. The sequence where one is holding the generator and the other switches it on is brilliantly done. I also like the way they manage to have our Sam holding AUSam's hand in the infirmary - that looks bang on, too.

Not to mention the 'We'll figure it out' not only spoken in perfect time, but also at almost identical pitch!
                Originally posted by Harlan's Speechwriter View Post
                Yes, it is all smoothly, maybe even flawlessly, done and looks so natural. It came over so well that it was only after it had finished that I realised just how clever it was, it was that convincing.
                I really enjoyed this ep, especially Amanda's acting. I would imagine that almost every scifi/fantasy show has at least one episode where an actor has to play opposite him- or herself. Amanda is one of the best at it.
                sigpic
                Thanks to Starlover1990 for the banner

Comment

Originally posted by meredithchandler73 View Post
                  I really enjoyed this ep, especially Amanda's acting. I would imagine that almost every scifi/fantasy show has at least one episode where an actor has to play opposite him- or herself. Amanda is one of the best at it.
                  Yes, and she was very well supported by the other actors and their reactions to both her Sams.
                  sigpic

Comment

I love this episode but I always found it a little convenient that they managed to get back to exactly the right reality. I would have really liked the ending to have had Jack walk in after our Jack goes back through the mirror to the normal reality...and ask Dr Carter what she thought she was doing kissing another him...so that they'd managed to get back to anotehr reality where somehow Jack hadn't died or something...
                    But then, I'm a soppy fool...I don't like sad endings!!
                    And Dr Carter's long haired wig is so bad. Why did they use such an awful wig? I found it sooo distracting!
                    I love the responses of the characters when they find out that Jack and Sam are married in another reality...and I love Jack saying 'you just agreed with yourself'. Heheee!
                    Clare
                    sigpic

Comment

Teal'c killed AU!Teal'c to prevent him from hurting others thus making up for the evil deeds he did before joining SG1 in some small way. As much as he said that "Ours is the only reality of consequence" I think he feels someone respousble for the what the other Teal'c do if he could stop it. I'm not explaining this right but what I'm saying is I think Teal'c slept easr that night knowing AU!Teal'c couldn't hurt anyone again and that by stopping him he did a good thing. I think in Teal'c mind when it comes to AU Teal'c it's pretty cut & dry, either you 'be good' or you be not at all.

That was a horrible wig they put on AT. Man oh man it was the start of stargate's really bad wigs. I don't know who they had make it but they should have used the one from BUt for teh Grace of God that was good wig

AT was amazing in this episode as both Sams, she hit all the right marks wiht Sam's emotions on both Carters. Jack was also very goof being so uncomfurble but trying so hard to be there for AU Sam. Daneil was almost very funny walking around teh background wiht a confused look on his face with some funny links. Jack was funny dealign with two Carters , I wonder what he would have done with
                      Spoiler:
                      18 Carters from Ripple Effact lol

Originally posted by Sheppard View Post
                      yeah why cant they make up their own ideas i suppose they do but they could think of ones its better then copying other shows ideas
                      I always thought of it as Stargate ripping Star Terk, you know a in joke, a gag at the evil guys have goatee, speacilly the "evil twins". It was a sent up, tptb did it on purouse(sp). I remember hearing that someone wehre, it took the idea from ST and put it in as a joke.
                      Last edited by angelfire east; 28 May 2007, 10:42 PM.
                      Ben Browder on who'd win a fight, Mitchell or Critchon..."Cameron would have the upper hand until Aeryn kicked his ass."

Comment

Originally posted by cpgfilth View Post
                        And why did they call it the asgard generator?
                        And even if we were to assume that it's not the same generator O’Neil made in the fifth race (which it is), what are the chances the Asgard would use part of a Goa'uld staff weapon in their technology.
                        Last edited by algat; 11 June 2007, 04:16 PM.

Comment

It seemed like they hamfistedly closed up a storyline by having Hammond say they should destroy the quantum mirror as soon as the mission was over. I was thinking it would be better to secure it somehow, perhaps in a small reinforced closet sized room in the SGC. Assuming it has similar rules to the stargate, it probably won't allow someone to materialize in the middle of a stone wall.
                          Just watching the episode on DVD, and can't help but think the Alternate Reality (AU) people would want to maintain regular contact with out reality, and any other where SG-1 has held their own vs the Goa'uld. Just one a month or whatever pop over to our reality and exhange all info and technology gained over the last month.
                          You can't beat having other similar world working toward the same thing but in different ways. Each would probably make unique discoveries, and if all these were exchanged regularly, each would probably kick the crap out of the Goa'uld.
                          I assumed it's one the reasons TPTB had Gen.Hammond advocating the mirrors destruction.

Comment

hen again it could have been used to seriously smjack them upside the head if one of the AU's where the Gou'ald won on earth came through..

Comment

Yeah that was my first thought. The question is 'what are the rules of the quantum mirror?' If it won't transport a person into solid metal or rock, then you can put a large block in front of it (like the iris on the stargate), use an ID transmitter similar to the SG teams use to ID friends.
                              On the other hand, if it transports a being regardless of whether there's a block in front, then it's a real danger--a goa'uld could just send through people carrying nukes.
                              It would have been worth exploring though, it had a big upside in my opinion.

Comment

Plowing through my S3 thoughts. (I have a week with unlimited computer access and a LOT of free time, so I am doing as many as I can now!)

So, POV. Liked it, didn't love it. I am not a shipper (or anti-shipper, just don't care either way) so that whole aspect bored me. Loved the re-use of the Quantum Mirror. I know they can't go back each week to address past episodes, but it is like a little present for me when they CAN within the context of another good story!

Bits of humour well done by all the cast. Some impressive twinning shots, too considering where SFX and (SG-1's experience and budget) were at the time this was made. Solid 7.5/10, lowered because of the focus on Sam. And simply because, by the nature of it being made first, TBFTGOG gets an edge in the AU storyline. (It had more impact the first time)

Comment

Working...
                                X