Page 5 of 17 FirstFirst ... 2345 67815 ... LastLast

Thread: Point of View (306)

Lieutenant Colonel captain jake's Avatar

Arrow1 Re: Point of View (306)

Quote Originally Posted by McClance
    I really love alternate reality episodes. It's fun noting differences between the one we're familiar with and which ever others there are. And I love the Asgard in action--whatever the reality.

Also, both Teal'c's little sliver of a goatee and Apophis' goatee sort of puts me in the mind of Spock in Star Trek's "Mirror, Mirror". I wonder if the makers borrowed a few ideas from there...
    Yes I have seen allot of things throughout Stargate that have been montages of star trek among other sci-fi shows/movies.

Default Re: Point of View (306)

yeah why cant they make up their own ideas i suppose they do but they could think of ones its better then copying other shows ideas

I love this episode, its among my favourites. Even though its not our Sam, I love the whole Sam/Jack dynamic that runs through the episode, even though I haven't decided if I approve of the Jack/Sam ship. Just another fantastic season 3 episode.
    http://myspace-570.vo.llnwd.net/0101...10025570_m.jpg

Question 2, you are in the desert, you see a tortoise lying on his back, in the hot sun. You recognize his plight but do nothing to help, why?

because… you are also a tortoise.

O’NEILL: No. No. Full well expected the other shoe to drop eventually.

THOR: We can only hope this will be the last footwear to fall.

T-minus 16 days until sky one season 10 premiere.

Me too. I enjoy AU eps, because they give us the opportunity to explore what happens when SG-1 aren't around to save our butts - again.

Of course, it also allows the exploration of Sam/Jack 'ship without building it into the OU team dynamic, which suits me fine. I don't disapprove of 'ship (I think that would be too strong a word), it simply doesn't interest me, so I prefer to keep it either AU or hinted at in OU subtly enough for me to just ignore it.

Apart from anything else, it's a lot of fun to see the subtle differences in appearance of the characters in the AU. Maybe there's one out there where General Hammond still has hair!

Quote Originally Posted by Chaka's_Mum
    Me too. I enjoy AU eps, because they give us the opportunity to explore what happens when SG-1 aren't around to save our butts - again.

Of course, it also allows the exploration of Sam/Jack 'ship without building it into the OU team dynamic, which suits me fine. I don't disapprove of 'ship (I think that would be too strong a word), it simply doesn't interest me, so I prefer to keep it either AU or hinted at in OU subtly enough for me to just ignore it.

Apart from anything else, it's a lot of fun to see the subtle differences in appearance of the characters in the AU. Maybe there's one out there where General Hammond still has hair!
    This was good in the early years. It helped introduce the idea of Sam and Jack to those who hadn't thought about. As opposed to those who obsessed about it ever since CotG and Broca Divide.
    my lovely avatar is courtesy of Lies, SamJackShipLover

Lieutenant Colonel Jedi_Master_Bra'tac's Avatar

"Ours is the only reality of consequence".........huh?, I tried to make sense of this quote but I can't, can someone please enlighten me?

Behind the *new* bar. What'll it be, stranger?

Quote Originally Posted by wako!
    "Ours is the only reality of consequence".........huh?, I tried to make sense of this quote but I can't, can someone please enlighten me?
    No.

Anyway, This episode was a brilliant sequel to 'There But For The Grace Of God' and I loved it.
    I write articles/features/reviews for I'm With Geek.com now. Check out our stuff if you get a minute!

Click on sig to check out my fanfic gallery too!

Right next to the Stargate, the one I made.

Earth Symbol Re: Point of View (306)

Teal'c just felt that their reality wasn't that important as it was already a goner, I guess. I dunno. I think it was just one of those lines that didn't really belong.
    Yes, I really do look like (a younger) Daniel. Don't believe me? Look for yourself.

http://i2.tinypic.com/20gmk8w.jpg
    Hey, Mitchell! You want a turn?

I think I get what Teal'c's driving at - but it's not an easy thing to put into words. I've tried about five times now and deleted every paragraph, one by one. I think it's just a matter of perception - after all, we view this universe as the 'real' one because we live in it. But that doesn't necessarily actually factually make it so - it is so because we believe it to be. To OUTeal'c, he's not an inhabitant of the alternate universe. What he does there will not impact on his own reality, so his behaviour (and, to a degree, the reality itself) is of no consequence. Or something like that. I'll stop waffling before my brain really starts to hurt...

First Lieutenant

Default Take over of SGC

Was anyone else deeply disturbed by the scene where Hammond is being tortured?

Quote Originally Posted by Chaka's_Mum
    I think I get what Teal'c's driving at - but it's not an easy thing to put into words. I've tried about five times now and deleted every paragraph, one by one. I think it's just a matter of perception - after all, we view this universe as the 'real' one because we live in it. But that doesn't necessarily actually factually make it so - it is so because we believe it to be. To OUTeal'c, he's not an inhabitant of the alternate universe. What he does there will not impact on his own reality, so his behaviour (and, to a degree, the reality itself) is of no consequence. Or something like that. I'll stop waffling before my brain really starts to hurt...

I actually think what he meant was that their reality was the only one of concequence because it is in our reality (at least at that time) he was the only version of himself strong enough to defect from the Goaulds, and by the other versions of him not defecting, he felt (IMHO) that they were not worthy of living- hence why he shot himself- the Teal'c who was still loyal to Apophis...the false god- dead false god...^_^

Being a shipper, is the only way to be.
    |My Fanfics|My Fanart|My Orig. Stories|

I think Teal'c is just being practical. To his mind, the alternate version of himself can either reject Apophis and help them, or reject them and help Apophis. While Jack expects the alternate to be simply zatted, that's not exactly the best solution because he can regain consciousness and raise the alarm - and they don't know how long he's going to stay knocked out. This is not a problem with a dead AUTeal'c. All Teal'c was doing was ensuring that, either way, his alternate wasn't going to betray them. He offered his AU version a chance to assist them, and then took the necessary steps to eliminate AUTeal'c as a threat when it turned out that he wouldn't.

Being a fellow of few words, he doesn't spend his time blabbering pointless justifications of what he does; particularly when he can explain himself later on for the Mission Report when things are a bit less fraught. He shot AUTeal'c dead rather than zatting him - the safest option under the circumstances. As he views 'his' reality to be the only one of consequence (as we all would, I suspect), he's not particularly concerned about how his actions will affect this one.

Default Re: Take over of SGC

Quote Originally Posted by Okohme
    Was anyone else deeply disturbed by the scene where Hammond is being tortured?
    That scene was a bit off. I think we're all used to just seeing him in his office and the briefing room...
    my lovely avatar is courtesy of Lies, SamJackShipLover

Chief Master Sergeant Harlan's Speechwriter's Avatar

I usually get a bit confused by alternate reality-type things (it doesn't take much to confuse me!), but I enjoyed this one.

'Alternate' Sams character was so different to the 'Sam' we know; not less competent, but less confident. I'm not usually a fan of 'ship (I'm not against it, it's just not my thing), but even I was moved by 'alternate' Sam as she mourned the loss of her Jack.

I found Jack's reactions when he had both Sam's talking in techno-babble to him very funny. I'm glad Jack doesn't understand that type of thing - when they explain it to him, they explain it to me too!
    Please don't laugh, this is one of my first attempts at a banner.

The irony is that RDA deliberately chose to play Jack like this - a bit...well...dumb (his words, not mine!) because he thought it would be quite fun to watch a highly decorated, senior Air Force officer who didn't 'get' that sort of thing.

Personally, I think he's doing us a big favour because I don't 'get' that sort of thing either.

The best bits are still the ones where the two Sams are interacting with each other. The sequence where one is holding the generator and the other switches it on is brilliantly done. I also like the way they manage to have our Sam holding AUSam's hand in the infirmary - that looks bang on, too.

Not to mention the 'We'll figure it out' not only spoken in perfect time, but also at almost identical pitch!

Yes, it is all smoothly, maybe even flawlessly, done and looks so natural. It came over so well that it was only after it had finished that I realised just how clever it was, it was that convincing.

I think that Jack's character works very well like this, and I suspect there are a lot of people out there like him, both in the military and civilian life. Jack's 'intelligence' are his instincts and understanding of people, even if he can e judgemental at times (who isn't?) and, in these respects, he is brilliant.

First Lieutenant meredithchandler73's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Chaka's_Mum View Post
    The best bits are still the ones where the two Sams are interacting with each other. The sequence where one is holding the generator and the other switches it on is brilliantly done. I also like the way they manage to have our Sam holding AUSam's hand in the infirmary - that looks bang on, too.

Not to mention the 'We'll figure it out' not only spoken in perfect time, but also at almost identical pitch!
    Quote Originally Posted by Harlan's Speechwriter View Post
    Yes, it is all smoothly, maybe even flawlessly, done and looks so natural. It came over so well that it was only after it had finished that I realised just how clever it was, it was that convincing.
    I really enjoyed this ep, especially Amanda's acting. I would imagine that almost every scifi/fantasy show has at least one episode where an actor has to play opposite him- or herself. Amanda is one of the best at it.

Thanks to Starlover1990 for the banner

Quote Originally Posted by meredithchandler73 View Post
    I really enjoyed this ep, especially Amanda's acting. I would imagine that almost every scifi/fantasy show has at least one episode where an actor has to play opposite him- or herself. Amanda is one of the best at it.
    Yes, and she was very well supported by the other actors and their reactions to both her Sams.

I love this episode but I always found it a little convenient that they managed to get back to exactly the right reality. I would have really liked the ending to have had Jack walk in after our Jack goes back through the mirror to the normal reality...and ask Dr Carter what she thought she was doing kissing another him...so that they'd managed to get back to anotehr reality where somehow Jack hadn't died or something...
    But then, I'm a soppy fool...I don't like sad endings!!
    And Dr Carter's long haired wig is so bad. Why did they use such an awful wig? I found it sooo distracting!
    I love the responses of the characters when they find out that Jack and Sam are married in another reality...and I love Jack saying 'you just agreed with yourself'. Heheee!
    Clare

Second Lieutenant angelfire east's Avatar

Teal'c killed AU!Teal'c to prevent him from hurting others thus making up for the evil deeds he did before joining SG1 in some small way. As much as he said that "Ours is the only reality of consequence" I think he feels someone respousble for the what the other Teal'c do if he could stop it. I'm not explaining this right but what I'm saying is I think Teal'c slept easr that night knowing AU!Teal'c couldn't hurt anyone again and that by stopping him he did a good thing. I think in Teal'c mind when it comes to AU Teal'c it's pretty cut & dry, either you 'be good' or you be not at all.

That was a horrible wig they put on AT. Man oh man it was the start of stargate's really bad wigs. I don't know who they had make it but they should have used the one from BUt for teh Grace of God that was good wig

AT was amazing in this episode as both Sams, she hit all the right marks wiht Sam's emotions on both Carters. Jack was also very goof being so uncomfurble but trying so hard to be there for AU Sam. Daneil was almost very funny walking around teh background wiht a confused look on his face with some funny links. Jack was funny dealign with two Carters , I wonder what he would have done with
    Spoiler:
    18 Carters from Ripple Effact lol

Quote Originally Posted by Sheppard View Post
    yeah why cant they make up their own ideas i suppose they do but they could think of ones its better then copying other shows ideas
    I always thought of it as Stargate ripping Star Terk, you know a in joke, a gag at the evil guys have goatee, speacilly the "evil twins". It was a sent up, tptb did it on purouse(sp). I remember hearing that someone wehre, it took the idea from ST and put it in as a joke.
    Last edited by angelfire east; May 28th, 2007 at 10:42 PM.
    Ben Browder on who'd win a fight, Mitchell or Critchon..."Cameron would have the upper hand until Aeryn kicked his ass."
    http://img685.imageshack.us/img685/7896/bannercopyt.jpg