Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How do the rings transport matter to places thats not above or below the ring pad?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How do the rings transport matter to places thats not above or below the ring pad?

I know the rings can transport matter without another ring pad to receive it, but havent u notice the rings can go not only below the ring pad but to the side? I wonder how it works, i mean to get below is easy, it would work the same way as when the ring is activated except going down, but how does it go to the side? I know its hard to understand my question so im gonna make a visual aid below.

O X

the above is what ive seen in multiple episodes. How to the rings even get there to reintergrate the object? Plz explain
    Last edited by VironX; 09 July 2005, 05:11 PM.

Ummmm the side? Well the answer to your question is really quite simple, they dont. Ring platforms transport matter to another set of rings or store matter, move to another location, usually directly above or below the previous location and re-intergrate it. Ring platforms can't and havn't shown and ability to move anything other then up and down. Perhaps if you could tell us which episode you've seen this in I could offer a better explaination.

Comment

it is sorta like the stargate it breaks it soen and then reintergrates it

Comment

Originally posted by Esquin
        Ummmm the side? Well the answer to your question is really quite simple, they dont. Ring platforms transport matter to another set of rings or store matter, move to another location, usually directly above or below the previous location and re-intergrate it. Ring platforms can't and havn't shown and ability to move anything other then up and down. Perhaps if you could tell us which episode you've seen this in I could offer a better explaination.
        Actually, there is an episode in one of the early seasons of SG-1 where a ring transporter is shown transporting stuff sideways. It happens when we see a ring transporter matter stream beam between two gao'uld motherships. It goes sideways from the top of the pyramid on one mothership to the to pyramid of the other mothership. Sorry, i forgot the episode and season, but we clearly see a ring transporter matter stream moving sideways. (Granted it's the just about the only time we see such a stream operating sideways, but there you have an argument for the "sideways" transport with the ring transporter).

Comment

But thats the matter stream. I wasn't disputing that the matter stream can go in any direction it wants, its like throwing out a metal cord towards a really strong magnet, goes where its pulled to. But the rinss themselves are restricted to up and down, Virnox seems to be asking how the rings themselves can do that, and the simple answer is they can't. The matter stream can go whereever it likes though.

Comment

Rings are nothing more then miniature Stargates, albeit Stargates that transmit in realspace and transmit in two directions.

Rings can use one of three modes.

1. Upstairs-downstairs.
            A single ring transporter can be extended (probably through some kind of force field) to a distance of about 30 meters away from its housing compartment. At that point, it can dematerialise whatever matter is there, retract back into its ship (or whatever), then rematerialise it inside. Cargo ships do this all the time. Its interesting that the forcefield that apparently holds the rings together can be deactivated while it is ‘downstairs’…as we saw happen to that poor, helpless Kul Warrior in ‘Evolution II’.

2. Half duplex.
            A pair of ring transporters can connect to each other over distances of thousands or low tens of thousands of Kilometres. So the first ring transporter takes whatever is directly above it, and then transmits it to a remote platform, which reintegrates. On ships or installations that have multiple platforms, the matter streams are received by some kind of external transmitter, then shuffled internally to the correct ring platform for reintegration, probably signified by using the control panels at either location. ‘Revelations’ appears to hint that the platform that sends the transmission also sends some kind of transmission to a Goa’uld Motherships computer telling it which ring room to send the transmission to.

3. Full duplex.
            Similar to half duplex, but if there is matter in the receiving end beyond air (or otherwise if its explicitly set) the receiving ring system will transmit the matter back down the matter stream to the original sender, which will then reintegrate it.

For the record, Atlantis transporter rooms look to essentially be ring platforms, just with the ring system built into the walls of the room and a network of internal matter stream pathways connecting them all together. Otherwise the same rules apply for Half duplex and Full Duplex.
            --
            The Stargate Technology Centre

Comment

I've no idea as to how jetsetter got this image but it's quite informative.

Biofilter is a mystery, as is how "reciever detect" functions in the presence of more than one other ring device.
              Lord §okar, Niles, Mark VI, etc: Dom Howard fan

Tama, Bosphorus, Istanbul Mehmet, Sabian, Zildjian and Remo

Comment

Originally posted by Esquin
                it happened once in the episode momemto(something like that) in season 6 where prometheus had to eject the hyperdrive and it exploded and caused an EMP that damaged the ship and the planet below. Then they had to fly down and land. When they were getting out of the ship, they used the rings but they didnt appear right below the ship, they appeared on its side

Comment

The rings moved down and then sideways.

Comment

Originally posted by Lord §okar

I've no idea as to how jetsetter got this image but it's quite informative.

Biofilter is a mystery, as is how "reciever detect" functions in the presence of more than one other ring device.
                    If that's from the Prometheus, I know an awesome question to ask at the Stargate Convention during the "stump the experts" contest.

Comment

It is, and there are more.

http://www.sg1archive.com/forums/ind...howtopic=12003

Comment

I'd take the picture with a grain of salt as we don't actualy SEE it onscreen...but I wonder if the comments about 'system malfunction' that may result is an indicator of the system being tied into Prometheus computer system in some way. Meaning that entering the wrong commands instead of doing nothing...may crash the local system entirely...
                        --
                        The Stargate Technology Centre

Comment

"this ring transporter has performed an illegal operation and has to be shut down. press A/D/F to restart your prometheus class ship"

Help!
                          My emojournal

Comment

Originally posted by Hudson
                            "this ring transporter has performed an illegal operation and has to be shut down. press A/D/F to restart your prometheus class ship"
                            So a scorpion is actually the Goa'uld equivallent to "Ctrl", a lion to "Alt" and water to "Del" ?
                            "Guinness [...] a refreshing substitute for ... food."
                            Hallowed are the Ori.

Comment

It's confusing. I prefer just to watch the show.

I've never seen rings transport matter to another place w/out another set of rings. that's wierd.

Comment

Working...
                              X