X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Owen Macri

Ok, I put together a picture.

The black cricle within the light blue region, is the planet with the pimary Stargate. The star is in the middle, it is yellow. The red circle is the planet with the secondardy Stargate.

The regions that engulf the two planets are just the paths of the planets. The Stargate would search these areas for a Stargate.

First the six symbols would be identified, they would meet in the middle, in the centre of the solar system, information about the planets' orbit would tell the Stargate that its' outermost searching limit was this far away from the point in a circular, or eliptical shape, then information about the planet, such as its' diameter and size specifications, would tell the Stargate how far in, up and down it can search, I know there is no up and down in space, hopefully you know what I am talking about. These specifications would allow for an imaginary tubular region to be "created" the Stargate would search this region for another gate, if it is not thier, then the gate has either been burried, destroyed, removed, the planet has or is in the process of falling into the star, or it is on a trajectory leading away from the star.

This would allow more than one gate to be used in the same system, because the diffrence between two or all of the tubular regions in a system might as well be the length of the universe, the Stargate will never search beyond its' specified borders, so it would not interfere with planets closer to the star, or farther away.

Owen Macri
    Just wanted to say this is the best thread I've read so far, good posts to everybody. Anyway, does your post indicate that a dialing gate will only connect to a gate within the prescribed tube? If so how does Carter dial the blackhole planet when she blows up a sun. I'm not sure if that gate was WAY off orbit but the planet was destroyed. It had more than likely been pulled more than a little off orbit. Mabye it searches the cubic area prescribed by the symbols. However in reference to the actual area within in the address, if the symbols are constellations that would be a huge area of space. while our galaxy is an almost endless space itself (compared to earth anyway) the distance between constellations is enormous. It seems unlikely that only one star gate is present in every dialable combination. However, I'm not sure if they say for certain in any of the stargate mythos if all of the symbols match constellations or just a few, it seems assumed, even by the charectors in the show. Mabye its that during the milions of years the stars and stargates have existed these combinations of stars would have existed in other area's or seen by others in the sky with different stars later on in history after consequential drift. Since the Stargate network goes through correlative uppdates every so often to account for stellar drift perhaps the actual constllations are merely symbolic and not literal. On the other hand they use the constellations to pinpoint actual planets in space like Teonas in Lost City, so honestly who knows, but i just thought I would share some thoughts on the subject. Again great thread.

Comment

Ok, I put together a picture.

The black cricle within the light blue region, is the planet with the pimary Stargate. The star is in the middle, it is yellow. The red circle is the planet with the secondardy Stargate.

The regions that engulf the two planets are just the paths of the planets. The Stargate would search these areas for a Stargate.

First the six symbols would be identified, they would meet in the middle, in the centre of the solar system, information about the planets' orbit would tell the Stargate that its' outermost searching limit was this far away from the point in a circular, or eliptical shape, then information about the planet, such as its' diameter and size specifications, would tell the Stargate how far in, up and down it can search, I know there is no up and down in space, hopefully you know what I am talking about. These specifications would allow for an imaginary tubular region to be "created" the Stargate would search this region for another gate, if it is not thier, then the gate has either been burried, destroyed, removed, the planet has or is in the process of falling into the star, or it is on a trajectory leading away from the star.

This would allow more than one gate to be used in the same system, because the diffrence between two or all of the tubular regions in a system might as well be the length of the universe, the Stargate will never search beyond its' specified borders, so it would not interfere with planets closer to the star, or farther away.

Owen Macri
      Just wanted to say this is the best thread I've read so far, good posts to everybody. Anyway, does your post indicate that a dialing gate will only connect to a gate within the prescribed tube? If so how does Carter dial the blackhole planet when she blows up a sun. I'm not sure if that gate was WAY off orbit but the planet was destroyed. It had more than likely been pulled more than a little off orbit. Mabye it searches the cubic area prescribed by the symbols. However in reference to the actual area within in the address, if the symbols are constellations that would be a huge area of space. while our galaxy is an almost endless space itself (compared to earth anyway) the distance between constellations is enormous. It seems unlikely that only one star gate is present in every dialable combination. However, I'm not sure if they say for certain in any of the stargate mythos if all of the symbols match constellations or just a few, it seems assumed, even by the charectors in the show. Mabye its that during the milions of years the stars and stargates have existed these combinations of stars would have existed in other area's or seen by others in the sky with different stars later on in history after consequential drift. Since the Stargate network goes through correlative uppdates every so often to account for stellar drift perhaps the actual constllations are merely symbolic and not literal. On the other hand they use the constellations to pinpoint actual planets in space like Teonas in Lost City, so honestly who knows, but i just thought I would share some thoughts on the subject. Again great thread.

Comment

Hey Owen... it looks like you took my cube idea and shrunk it down to a single star system... It would never work for the entire gate network that way though. http://forum.gateworld.net/showpost....94&postcount=8

The above link takes you back to my original drawing where we've discussed it before. (I added the pic here, just in case the link doesn't work...)

As to the symbols themselves; In the movie they were in fact star constellations, and the symbols on each gate were unique. On the show... all the symbols except for the Point of Origin became the same. There was a serious shift in the gate network's dynamics. In the movie, the gate only went to one known place, so it was easy to say... oh, well each gate has it's own symbols pertaining to the specific planet it is on. However that doesn't work for the TV show, with litterally thousands of worlds each having a gate. So the show had to make the gate methodology more coherent. Meaning, the address to Earth from any planet would be the same regardless of what planet you were on, with the only exception being the PoO. This allowed for a single person to be able to travel to many different worlds using the same exact addresses (minus the PoO, again... ) to get to any other world, regardless of what planet they were on.

We also found that the symbols represented actual points in space, meaning that a sufficiently advanced civilization could use a stargate address to locate a specific area in space. (Just like they used the address to Atlantis to navigate the Prometheus/Dadealus to Pegasus and the Lantia system, where Atlantis is located) I personally think my 'cubed multi-clock' methodology serves the gate network well, given what we know of it, but of course, depending on any new info, it would be subject to change.

Actually, that entire thread I mentioned above is almost the exact same topic as this one, so I don't feel compelled to repeat my arguments there, here. I can just say... go read that other thread. Anywho...

Synopsis of stargate symbols (very brief)

They represent specific points in space
        They represent sounds (to be used as a phonetic system of planetary identification)
        Over many thousands of years, the symbols themselves don't change, but a given address does because of Stellar drift. This also means that a planets name will only be valid for so long. After several thousand years, the name of Proclarush Taonus (or whatever) won't be valid as far as its specific location within the stargate network is concerned. Some of the symbols will have changed altering the planets (or the gate itself, perhaps) name to something else... possibly something nonsensical.

'Nuff for now.

Attached Files
        The success or failure of your deeds, does not add up to the sum of your life. Your spirit cannot be weighed! Judge yourself by the intentions of your actions, and by the strength with which you faced the challenges that have stood in your way. The Universe is so vast, and we are so small, there is only truly one thing we can control; whether we are good or evil... -Oma Desala
        Spoiler:

To all the 'Sci & Tech' forum users: If you are searching for a thread about your topic of interest, please come visit our Concordance Thread. If you have any questions, we will attempt to help you.
        http://forum.gateworld.net/showthread.php?t=26498

Feel free to pass the green..!

My Website... http://return-of-the-constitution.webs.com
        My Blog @ http://myhatsize.blogspot.com
        Amazing Literary Works of Fel... http://sennadar.com/wp/

Also, visit my webpage at... http://www.stargatesg1.com/Seastallion Sadly, this page is gone with the website that supported it, but I'll keep the link up in memorial.

Comment

i dun think that the stargates bother checking only in the planets orbit cuz it would change, the stargarte PoOs are probably the whole solar system, or else many things wouldnt make sense (such as when sam blew up the star) i agree with the idea that the symbols just look like constallations and are actually not

hey maybe Ra outfitted the Abidos gate with custom symbols cuz he wanted to be like "my gate has custom symbols im cool"
          check meh pimpin dean stockwell avatar

Comment

I would say, that for each galaxy there are diffrent points, so even though the symbols on the gates may look the same, they represent diffrent points in space, and the Stargate knows that you are dialing the same points in a diffrent galaxy when the distance modifier or eigth chevron is added.

Owen Macri

Comment

Originally posted by unfinishedlegend
              Well, you have to remember that time was moving incredibly slowley on the black hole planet, so it had barley moved out of its' orbit, if it had moved at all.

Owen Macri

Comment

Hey Seastallion, I don't want to get into this discussion again, in this thread, because we both know we aren't going to come up with a solution. But suffice it to say it would work, because with the thirty eight points located around the galaxy, you would still have to identify the center of a solar system, even for your idea, it would not be hard to complete the rest.

Owen Macri

Comment

Hey Seastallion, I don't want to get into this discussion again, in this thread, because we both know we aren't going to come up with a solution. But suffice it to say it would work, because with the thirty eight points located around the galaxy, you would still have to identify the center of a solar system, even for your idea, it would not be hard to complete the rest.

Owen Macri
                  Welcome back..! I noticed you hadn't been around a while... thought maybe you'd dropped off the map.
                  The success or failure of your deeds, does not add up to the sum of your life. Your spirit cannot be weighed! Judge yourself by the intentions of your actions, and by the strength with which you faced the challenges that have stood in your way. The Universe is so vast, and we are so small, there is only truly one thing we can control; whether we are good or evil... -Oma Desala
                  Spoiler:

To all the 'Sci & Tech' forum users: If you are searching for a thread about your topic of interest, please come visit our Concordance Thread. If you have any questions, we will attempt to help you.
                  http://forum.gateworld.net/showthread.php?t=26498

Feel free to pass the green..!

My Website... http://return-of-the-constitution.webs.com
                  My Blog @ http://myhatsize.blogspot.com
                  Amazing Literary Works of Fel... http://sennadar.com/wp/

Also, visit my webpage at... http://www.stargatesg1.com/Seastallion Sadly, this page is gone with the website that supported it, but I'll keep the link up in memorial.

Comment

No, I had just been at a friends' cottage since Friday. Actually, I am going up to my grandparents cottage today, so, I am not going to be around again. Sorry. Now, if I could convice my grandparents to get a computer...

Owen Macri

Comment

Please, does anyone have a good picture of a Stargate, showing clearly all the symbols? I don't mean a sketch, I mean an actual picture of the prop, from a scene of an episode, or a promotional shot. I can't find one, or only partial photos...
                      I know the sketch here : http://rdanderson.com/stargate/glyphs/gate.jpg
                      We can trust it, I guess.

On the other hand, the strange bird symbols that we see on the DVD's artwork are not canon, are they? They made them just for decorative purpose, right?
                      look :
                      http://ednys.free.fr/stargate/DVDFR0...tor_S01_02.jpg

It sure looks egyptian, but it's not to be taken seriously.

Comment

If the the starsigns are just for decoration the how come in season 9's prototype
                        Spoiler:
                        after sam and the other SG team got sent to the wrong planet sam said she checked using knows star positions
                        War does not determine who is right, war determines who is left.

Comment

Originally posted by Jakebbq View Post
                          If the the starsigns are just for decoration the how come in season 9's prototype ...
                          if you were replying to my last post, i didn't suggest that the symbols on the gate on screen are meaningless, but I meant that on the merchandise (the DVD cover design) the artists seem to have put some irrelevant signs among the "constellation symbols" (taken from hieroglyphs : especially birds! we also find the eye of Ra on the central chevron!!)
                          Do people agree that the symbols drawn on the DVD covers are not the real ones on the gate of the show?
                          I've never seen hieroglyphic birds on the gate.
                          I'd like to see a clear shot of the actual gate...

Comment

if you look, the top Chevron on the gate is also split in two parts. I think we can all agree that that one's not cannon at all. I have a picture of them somewhere on my external drive, which I will look at when I get home
                            Erratum5.net: Geeks come hither...
                            Check out my Flickr

Comment

Working...
                            X