Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can't we all just get along? (Shippers and Nonshippers)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can't we all just get along? (Shippers and Nonshippers)

For some reason, there seems to have been a lot of bad blood lately between shippers and non-shippers, as well as between the various ships (I'm speaking mostly of Atlantis fans, here.) In the interest of fostering a cohesive, fun community of Stargate Fans, I'd like to suggest that we all just take a step back. I never got involved in the whole Sam/Jack debate of SG-1, but I know that it was a very divisive factor amongst the fans, and I'd hate to see something like that happen to Atlantis fans, if that can be avoided. So I thought I'd start a thread where we can all express our tolerance for people with different viewpoints, practice the golden rule, and remember that our Kindergarten teachers told us that if you can't say something nice, don't say anything at all.

Since I started the thread, I should probably start the "Love Fest." As a die-hard McWeir shipper, I'll be the first to admit I don't see or support Shep/Weir, but I don't begrudge those fans that do. I know it's a very popular ship, but it just doesn't attract me, however I can see how the angst and tension could be compelling. I also understand why people would want to not see any ship on the show. It could stunt the character development, as well as detract from plot-based episodes. Personally, I'd like to see a few seasons of UST before there's any canon ship, if there's ever canon ship at all. But that doesn't mean I don't enjoy the little shippy-interpretable moments that find their way into the story.

Anyway, since there seems to be a lot of discussion about this topic lately, I just figured I'd provide a thread where we can do it, without calling people names or stepping on peoples toes, and just showing respect for those people who may have different viewpoints, but still share our love for a great show called STARGATE!
    Last edited by Porthos1013; 05 July 2005, 09:40 PM.

Sheppard: Why does it smell like I'm on vacation?
    McKay: (proudly) Could it be the simulated tropical aroma of cocoa butter?
    Sheppard: Strong enough for anyone within five miles to smell you.
    McKay: Right, like they haven't been tipped off by the Aqua Velva?

I think it's a fabulous idea and one long overdue. I, for one, am getting tired of the flamming and the put downs, just because someone may disagree with your opinion or they perceive you do. The antagonism seems to have escalated the past few weeks, and I think that's due, in part, to the anticipation of the new series premieres.

I also think it's time we, as the most vocal fans of SG-1 and SGA, on the net (and maybe anywhere), should show respect to fellow posters, TPTB and the actors. What we say here and how we act, reflects, not only GW, but on the us, the fans.

I have to admit to being a Sam/Jack shipper and after 8 very long years, I can't say I'm happy with the way the writers have handled it. However, I watch SG-1 and SGA not for the ship, but for the stories and the characters. If TPTB decide to have NO ship at all, in either series, I would still continue to watch, but hey, a little sexual tension never hurt any series, as long as it's done tastefully.
    Last edited by Lida; 05 July 2005, 10:28 PM.
    On fighting:
    Farrah: "A swordsman does not fear death, if he dies with honor."
    Dr. Who: "Then he's an idiot."

Comment

This being the fourth fandom I've been involved with online, I'd say this is pretty normal. We're coming up on a big release day, and everyone's a bit edgy. It seems silly, but it always happens.

Having said that, it would be nice if people would take a step back and remember that comments about a character aren't comments about the fans of a character, and comments about an actor aren't comments about the fans of an actor. I may not see what you see, but that doesn't mean I think you're a bad person. Sometimes it's best to just let comments go, especially if they don't warrant calling the mods in. Honestly, if I tried to rebut every negative statement about the characters I like, I'd never get anything else done.

There's nothing wrong with honest disagreement between people. I may never see eye-to-eye with other fans of Atlantis because we get different things out of the show, but that's really the beauty of it. There's more than one opinion that's perfectly valid, and as long as you (speaking generically) are willing to respect my opinion, I'll respect yours. And if you're willing to talk with me about differing opinions in a civilized manner instead of throwing out accusations, I'll respect you even more.

(A good example of this is the Firefly thread in the sci-fi forum. Most of us come from very different corners of SG fandom, but we all love that franchise, and we're able to talk about it without worrying about things like who's a Weir fan, who can't stand Daniel, who wants ship, who doesn't, et cetera, et cetera.)

So I guess my point is that a lot of us (myself included, really) need to take a deep breath and tone everything down a bit. It's okay to criticize a character, TPTB, or an actor, if it's done respectfully. It's good to give people the benefit of the doubt and assume that they weren't intending to offend other fans. It's also good to work things out privately whenever possible. Usually things escalate when someone tries to point out a problem publicly, no matter how good his intentions are.

Just my observations from this site and others, including staffing one with about 200,000 members. I've found that nine times out of ten, it's just best to assume that offense wasn't intended and move on.
      Mirror, Mirror: Melyanna's multi-fandom fic site
      Last update: 14 April 2006
      Melyanna's Multimedia
      Last update: 15 February 2006

Comment

Yes "Why can't we all just get along?"

Shipper 'v' Non-Shipper well I am both for different reasons and character's so I guess I understand both sides. I'm a bit like Daniel, ha, just call me a Diplomat mmm maybe not, sounds too much like hard work.

Remember to have fun.
        I love anyone who loves StarGate/StarGate Atlantis even the few "very few" who have posted questionable things. Of course I have recently posted a questionable thing, haha, moving right along, I think taking things too seriously on this forum is a user's first mistake.

Again remember to have fun.

Comment

Great idea !

I am a Jack/Sam shipper, but however I do understand all the fans who don't want to see a romantic relationship onscreen, and I would never allow myself to insult them in any way. We all watch the shows for different reasons, and all those reasons are good.

Let's not forget that Sg-1 and Atlantis are "just" TV Shows Let's get along, let's have fun, and above all, we must not forget that we are all part of the same family : the gaters

Comment

Originally posted by Caro
            Let's not forget that Sg-1 and Atlantis are "just" TV Shows
            What!
            Just TV shows, that is the first I have heard of them being TV shows!

Comment

Originally posted by Porthos1013
              For some reason, there seems to have been a lot of bad blood lately between shippers and non-shippers, as well as between the various ships (I'm speaking mostly of Atlantis fans, here.) In the interest of fostering a cohesive, fun community of Stargate Fans, I'd like to suggest that we all just take a step back. I never got involved in the whole Sam/Jack debate of SG-1, but I know that it was a very divisive factor amongst the fans, and I'd hate to see something like that happen to Atlantis fans, if that can be avoided. So I thought I'd start a thread where we can all express our tolerance for people with different viewpoints, practice the golden rule, and remember that our Kindergarten teachers told us that if you can't say something nice, don't say anything at all.

Since I started the thread, I should probably start the "Love Fest." As a die-hard McWeir shipper, I'll be the first to admit I don't see or support Shep/Weir, but I don't begrudge those fans that do. I know it's a very popular ship, but it just doesn't attract me, however I can see how the angst and tension could be compelling. I also understand why people would want to not see any ship on the show. It could stunt the character development, as well as detract from plot-based episodes. Personally, I'd like to see a few seasons of UST before there's any canon ship, if there's ever canon ship at all. But that doesn't mean I don't enjoy the little shippy-interpretable moments that find their way into the story.

Anyway, since there seems to be a lot of discussion about this topic lately, I just figured I'd provide a thread where we can do it, without calling people names or stepping on peoples toes, and just showing respect for those people who may have different viewpoints, but still share our love for a great show called STARGATE!
              Oh I agree! Stick to our own shipper threads, leave ship out of other threads and generally just enjoy the show!!

Comment

What a lovely idea. It would be nice to see, however I don't know if it's possible.

I've been a shipper since I joined GW in early 2001. The majority of my close "invisible friends" are not. However, we all are able to get along. They tease me about there not being ship, I tease them about the fact that there most definitely is, and we keep it lighthearted and fun.

Still, having just barely survived the Daniel/Jonas wars, which often seemed more like a non-shipper/shipper war instead, (and, losing some "friends" along the way) I'm very doubtful that a truly peaceful solution is available for Atlantis shippers (which by the way I refuse to even think about becoming involved in, whether I see ship potential or not).

But hey, it's worth a try. You never know, I might be very pleasantly surprised. 8)
                sigpic

Comment

There is such a thing as 'live and let live'

i know that there are some peopel here whose opinions i don't agree with. Just as i know there are some threads here that i just won't like

I don't go lurking in those threads just to listen in and let it annoy me. I leave them alone. Just like there are lists out there that i just won't fit in with anymore, i don't go there, and if i do happen to read, i don't post.

Let's say you hate sam. Ok, cool. Then the 'sam's a great character' thread probably isn't a good place for you to visit.

I'm reminded of an old story. A woman went to the doctor and told him 'i don't know what's wrong with me doc. Everytime I eat Hot Dogs, i get sick'

the doctor's response: 'Then stop eating hot dogs'
                  Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by astronomicalchick
                    Oh I agree! Stick to our own shipper threads, leave ship out of other threads and generally just enjoy the show!!
                    For the most part, I tend to agree. But I think if you know you can handle yourself and not get too bent out of shape, it might be a good idea to just go lurk on another ship's thread. I know that when I need to go on a green jello rampage, (i.e. I need to spread some of the green stuff around, so I can give it to people I've already given it to) I usually go skim the Shep/Weir and Teyla/Shep ship threads for insightful posts, and give a little green out to those posters, despite the fact that I don't really support either ship. I think it helps to know where other people are coming from, and gives me a broader view of SG fandom, rather than just the view of the few threads I post on. But then again, if you know it's going to bother you then it's best to stay away from it. (And to be honest, sometimes I do read posts that I don't agree with on those threads, and if that's the case then I just skip it and move on.)

Sheppard: Why does it smell like I'm on vacation?
                    McKay: (proudly) Could it be the simulated tropical aroma of cocoa butter?
                    Sheppard: Strong enough for anyone within five miles to smell you.
                    McKay: Right, like they haven't been tipped off by the Aqua Velva?

Comment

a very good point. there is nothing wrong with experienceing other peoples' opinions.

you just have to keep things in perspective.

first of all, not everyone is going to agree with you
                      second of all, it ain't the end of the world if someone else has a differing opinin
                      third, you probably won't change anyone's mind so don't make it your mission in life to convert the whole world to your way of thinking

and finally, it ain't brain surgery, no one dies
                      Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

I don't understand why non-shippers visit shipper threads and say: I hate this and that and the whole thing about the ship between **** and **** is ruining the entire show.
                        Than the person knows that he / she is going to get dinged. The entire ship thread then is up-set and the mods will certainly see that the triangle button is being used. So you are a shipper of McKay and Weir and another person is a shipper of Sheppard and Weir and another isn't a shipper at all. Oke so I respect everybody's opinion, even if I don't agree with it. Then I just say: oke I have tried to understand from your perspective and I respect your perspective and opinion but I don't share your opinion.
                        I got a message for all the shippers,non shippers, stargate fans and other, the entire world. Have a bit of tollerance, please. It would make the world a lot better !!

And to skydiver: you are so right what you said ! not everybody is going to agree with you and that doesn't have too. The world would be a boring place if everybody would have the same opinion. Then nobody would protest and say: hey this,what you are doing, that can not happen.
                        Lord Zedd

Comment

Im not a shipper but I post in the shipper threads bcse I enjoy discussing and reading other people's thoughts about Shep and McKay's interactions with both Weir and Teyla. And I agree, I wouldn't visit a shippy thread and rant about hating the ship, that doesn't make any sense.
                          I have to say that I find the Atlantis ship threads to be accomodating and welcoming to gaters like me that enjoy the friendship aspects of the show, so in general I don't think there's any real shipper vs non-shipper hostility on the boards.

Comment

Originally posted by Shonaille
                            Im not a shipper but I post in the shipper threads bcse I enjoy discussing and reading other people's thoughts about Shep and McKay's interactions with both Weir and Teyla.
                            Now that is interesting one of the first things I did after the McKay *Thunk* of course, when I joined was try and find a McKay/Shepp shipp, not a discuss a real Shipper.

Someone here and sorry I really don't remember who, early days no idea who I was posting with, said no this is PG it wouldn't fly. So do they have to be hetero?

In my defence at bringing this up it is 2.18am where I am and silly things do start to go through your head at that time.

Comment

Sometimes it can grow ugly in threads !! Not only with shippers but also threads that allready have been made before. Then you sometimes read: "go to that link there is allready a thread like this . When I read something like this I think oke so you allready have seen and posted in such a thread but the newbies in here haven't so let them post away.

Or perhaps threads where somebody comes up with a thaught: hey Jesus, an Ancient or Goa'uld or Harsesis, God an Ancient ?? Now these went really ugly most of the time. hehe imagine sg.1 meets god and they report back. "I am God" When they go back to Earth. General Hammond (or who ever is in command) we met God !I also remember that the anti-chaya thread went way out of control and that it had to be closed. So my advice to the entire world: a bit of tolerance
                              Lord Zedd

Comment

Working...
                              X