This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How do you disengage a Stargate

I've always wondered how they disengage the wormhole after they've activated it.
    If SG-1 are on some random planet in any random episode and are gating back home, then it seems that a couple of seconds after they are all through the gate automatically turns off. Sometimes there is nobody left on the other side to 'turn it off' either. The same thing happens when they leave Earth, although that could be because there is someone back on Earth to disengage the wormhole.
    Apologies if this had already been brought up.

The gate supposedly self-deactivates if nothing substantial goes through after a few minutes. This time period tends to fluctuate both ways in different episodes, like in Allegiance when the Tok'ra use the kawoosh to destroy the bodies and it shuts down the instant the kawoosh clears.
    [email protected]
    http://underworld-x.com

I pledge allegiance to the underworld
    One nation under dog
    There of which I stand alone
    A face in the crowd
    Unsung, against the mold
    Without a doubt
    Singled out
    The only way I know

Comment

Yes, the gate will automatically "self-deactivate," however you can also deactivate the Stargate by disconecting it from its' power source, if it manages to draw power from the second gate, then you can direct a large amount of energy at the stargate and the wormhole will jump to another planet, and then you should be able to deactivate it, it seems as though most of the time, the stargates will not draw power from another gate, however it is possible to do it. Most of the time though, the gate will deactivate after no matteror energy is sent through the event horizon, however the time differs, simply because it is easier to have the gate deactivate as soon as they exit, rather than stay open for ten minutes. In some cases the gate will deactivate after only seconds, and in others it will stay open for no apparent reason, except to wait for the rest of the characters to go through.

Owen Macri

Comment

cant u hit the big button in the middle again to disengage a wormhole (i thought i saw it in 1 episode)
        there is definitly a way to disengage a wormhole from the origin end
        check meh pimpin dean stockwell avatar

Comment

Maybe the DHD has built in plot-sensing capabilities.....

That, or magic.
          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Owen Macri
            In some cases the gate will deactivate after only seconds, and in others it will stay open for no apparent reason, except to wait for the rest of the characters to go through.

Owen Macri
            Yes, for example, Torment of Tantalus. It stays open a very long time waiting for, I believe, Jack & Daniel. Maybe the gate has sensors and if anyone is in the immediate vicinity it knows to stay open. Of course, sometimes only some of the people gate away and others they were visiting are still standing there, and yet it shuts down.

Oh heck, they all have built-in SWSC devices. (Script Wormhole Shutdown Control).

Comment

Lol, yes, the script sensing abilities would be a good idea. The gate wouldn't have sensors, it is intuitive though, but throught the series, the shutdown times have changed, for example, in one episode, while a Jaffa is running through the gate, he makes it through the event horizon, but the end of his staff doesn't and the gate shuts down and it gets chopped off, however it is commonly known that when matter is in the event horizon the gate will not shut down.

Owen Macri

Comment

I believe that it has something to do with, as I have heard it called, the plot device or if you prefer, DHD. But then again, not all gates still have DHDs so that leaves some holes in my idea.
                The opinions of KorbenDirewolf do not necessrily represent the opinions of other male U.S. residents between the ages of 18 and 25.

Comment

Originally posted by Owen Macri
                  Yes, the gate will automatically "self-deactivate," however you can also deactivate the Stargate by disconecting it from its' power source, if it manages to draw power from the second gate, then you can direct a large amount of energy at the stargate and the wormhole will jump to another planet, and then you should be able to deactivate it, it seems as though most of the time, the stargates will not draw power from another gate, however it is possible to do it. Most of the time though, the gate will deactivate after no matteror energy is sent through the event horizon, however the time differs, simply because it is easier to have the gate deactivate as soon as they exit, rather than stay open for ten minutes. In some cases the gate will deactivate after only seconds, and in others it will stay open for no apparent reason, except to wait for the rest of the characters to go through.

Owen Macri

lol, very well said, but for those simple people "If it doesn't turn off, pull the plug" is what I have to day.
                  sigpic
                  Sig from Kat Logan VIA SilverRider

SIX YEARS OF ROLEPLAYING ON GATEWORLD!

Join the Aftermath RP

Comment

No.. you have to shoot it and hit it with a really big hammer before you pull the plug!
                    The opinions of KorbenDirewolf do not necessrily represent the opinions of other male U.S. residents between the ages of 18 and 25.

Comment

Lol, thank you Colonel Sharp. Lol, yes, and you also have to do a magical Stargate dance that will show the spirits of the clouds your appreciation and thanks for their sustinence. AKA... nothing, I was just babling, lol.

Owen Macri

Comment

I was thinking that it shuts down on its own. But, the reason there might be so much of a difference between the times it shuts down in the different episodes might be related to the amount of power left in the DHD. I mean, we've seen that some gates are out of power and some are more fully charged. This difference in power could be what creates the different activation times.
                        'Nou ani anquietus' - 'We are the Ancients:’ teachers of roads and builders of the 'gate.

Comment

Maybe its controlled by Jack's (or another ancient/ancient gened persons) mind? Since its ancient technology its a possiblity. It can also be shutdown by blowing up the gate or DHD (I think thats in 48hrs)

Comment

Those are both good ideas ~Thor~ and Wandering Tamer, however, neither can be proved. Personally, I like the Ancient Gene idea, that sounds cool. However I don't think the amount of power left in the DHD would be a factor, the gate is intuitive, but it shouldn't be able to shut down earlier, there might be other people who are coming.

Another idea, is maybe the Ancients control the gates. They are pretty much omnipitent, so they could watch every gate, and shut them down when it is required.

Owen Macri

Comment

Speaking of this, a related issue. When the IDC signal comes thru, it seems the time before they open the iris varies somewhat. Sometimes it's almost immediate, other times a delay, like chevron guy looking at Hammond, and Hammond not sure. I thought they should have a way to send a signal back to the IDC Remote to indicate the iris is open, so the team can step thru and know they'll be safe. It could just be that it lights a green light on the remote, so if the remote fell into unfriendly hands, they wouldn't be sure what that meant. As it is, it kinda seems they just send the signal, wait a couple seconds and then go, and hope for the best.

Comment

Working...
                              X