• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Immortality: yea or nay

Would you want to be immortal?

Some pros and cons to consider:

Pros:
    You can experience anything and everything you want.
    You'd stay the same age you are right now even 10,000 years later.
    Your health will always be good.
    You can be shot and walk away.

Cons:
    After you've experienced it all, then what?
    All your friends, all your family and loved ones are gone. Sure, you can make new ones but it won't be the same.
    Try finding a job. One look at your ID and they'll throw you in jail because they'll see in the year 3005 that you were born in the 1970's (or whenever you were born)
    You'll have to sit through styles and fads of the future, styles that you might not like.
    You can survive wars. Who is to say the population wouldn't be wiped out in WW III? You'd be all alone - without your glasses.
    The only way you could die is to be decapitated or have your head disarticulated. If you happen to be caught in a fire or have your limbs torn off, you're not gonna want to live.

Ummm...NAY!!

I AM SUPREME COMMANDER THOR

Comment

Er ... no thank you.
      TEAM SG1 LIVES

Comment

Not only do I not want to be immortal, I do not want an afterlife.

Give me oblivion, please.

Comment

nay! i want to go to heaven, where life will be perfect, but not on earth where people are mean and bad things happen
          Save us from danger, save us from evil
          Servatis a periculum, Servatis a maleficum

Comment

I would, obviously, but aperently I am the weird one LOL.
            Music Videos from various fandoms

Comment

limited immortality has a certain appeal.

Comment

YES! I definitely want that type of immortality.

Comment

Originally posted by Darth Buddha
                  Not only do I not want to be immortal, I do not want an afterlife.

Give me oblivion, please.
                  You're not in any hurry are you?

"We'll keep the light on for you."

Comment

Originally posted by babaganoosh
                    You can survive wars. Who is to say the population wouldn't be wiped out in WW III? You'd be all alone - without your glasses.
                    Was that a homage to Twilight Zone? If so, *worship*. I loved that episode.

Immortality? No. Longer lifespan? Yes, please. There's not enough time on this planet for me to learn about all the things I want to, plus it would give me more of an opportunity to travel the world.

Of course, a longer lifespan could mean more time behind a desk at work, so there's an obvious downfall there too...

Comment

I want immortality, but I would also want to be able to end it.
                      A wise man once said: "By accepting the inevitable, one finds peace."
                      Actually it was Tuvok on ST:Voyager, but he is indeed wise and I think there's a lot to that statement.

"We're grown-ups now and it's our turn to decide what that means." - xkcd
                      The Church of Mappothism | My YouTube Videos (mostly Farscape music videos)

Starburst 1.1 1.2 1.3 | 2.1 2.2 2.3 | 3.1 3.2 3.3 | 4.1 4.2 4.3

Comment

No thank you.

Comment

yea! coz the only way to die would be to decapitate yourself, which would be easy even with no population anywhere ever....you'd get a very thin cheesewire thingy (dunno what the technical name is) and position it horizontally at neck height and run at it very very fast..........
                          go immortality!

Arik tree-ac te kek. Dal Shakka Mel!

Comment

Not Immortality, but maybe an extension, just to see if they make SG1's 100th series.

Comment

Originally posted by babaganoosh
                              Would you want to be immortal?
                              Just wanted to point out that immortal, at it's simplest, means not subject to death, so decapitation wouldn't kill immortal beings, but it would sure kill their social life.
                              (BTW, has anyone here seen the movie, Nothing, with David Hewlett?)

Some pros and cons to consider:

Pros:
                              You can experience anything and everything you want.
                              Con: You'd also experience a great many things you wouldn't want.

You'd stay the same age you are right now even 10,000 years later.
                              Oh, poop! <whiney voice>Can I be younger? I don't want to spend eternity as an old hag!

Your health will always be good.
                              Does that come with a money back guarantee? Who says you can't be a sick immortal?

Cons:
                              After you've experienced it all, then what?
                              Then I'll be experienced enough to start my own universe! Muahhahahahaaaa!

All your friends, all your family and loved ones are gone. Sure, you can make new ones but it won't be the same.
                              So, i wonder, what would it be like if everybody had immortality, then?

You can survive wars.
                              Another question: would we still fight wars if we were all immortal? I think part of why we fight is because our brief lifespan makes us impatient by nature.

Oh, and, to answer the question, that would be a nay, for me. I want my story to have an ending - a real ending, not a new beginning somewhere else where the grass is purportedly greener, thank you.
                              Gracie

A Cherokee elder sitting with his grandchildren told them,
                              "In every life there is a terrible fight – a fight between two wolves.
                              One is evil: he is fear, anger, envy, greed, arrogance, self-pity,
                              resentment, and deceit. The other is good: joy, serenity, humility,
                              confidence, generosity, truth, gentleness, and compassion."
                              A child asked, "Grandfather, which wolf will win?"
                              The elder looked the child in the eye. "The one you feed."

Comment

Working...
                              X