This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SGA: Which galaxy?

Since there are two Pegasus galaxies in the local group, (The Pegasus Dwarf Irregular Galaxy which is a satellite of the Milky Way, and the Pegasus Dwarf Spheroidal Galaxy which is a satellite of the Andromeda galaxy) does anyone know which of the two Atlantis is located in?

I'm only guessing, but it would be the dwarf irregular galaxy, and only because it is in the closest proximity to the MW. It falls in line with the "one shot" opportunity as even the expanse between the two would be all that was possible given the energies needed. Until TPTB actually define it for us, we can only guess.

"We'll keep the light on for you."

Comment

Originally posted by lordaraq
      Since there are two Pegasus galaxies in the local group, (The Pegasus Dwarf Irregular Galaxy which is a satellite of the Milky Way, and the Pegasus Dwarf Spheroidal Galaxy which is a satellite of the Andromeda galaxy) does anyone know which of the two Atlantis is located in?
      I've long held that it's the Irregular Galaxy Pegasus Dwarf, as it is listed at 3 million light years away. According to the SEDS Local Group Database the dwarf spheroidal is properly known as Dwarf Spheroidal Galaxy Andromeda VI, and it is 2.8 mly.

Most of the stars in And VI are older red stars, while the ones in Peg dw are younger, making it a more fertile galaxy (at least according to my very poor scientific survey ).

a time to mourn

Comment

i tohught in rising they said pegasus was orbiting MW. I could be wrong and i could also be God, either one is possible

by pegasus i mean the one they were going to orbited the mw.
        http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iGgHAXalVyM

"And those who are prideful and refuse to bow down shall be laid low and made onto dust." Then Shall Fall Scifi!

If you don't worship Metonic... your parents won't love you anymore.. well they dont now...

Comment

Ya'd be best asking in Joes thread!
          sigpic
          Stargate Destiny - Coming Again Soon

Comment

That, of course, brings up the question of which galaxy is Ida. Hmm, Ask Joe time?

Comment

erm isnt ida the galaxy?
              sigpic
              Stargate Destiny - Coming Again Soon

Comment

Yes and no. Ida is the galaxy name the Asgard give it. We've never actually been given it's human name. I'm sure the Asgard don't call our galaxy the Milky Way and Pegasus Pegasus either.

Comment

When the asgard first talked about the ancients they said they move far from our region of the universe so that wuld suggest that it woz no where near the milkyway, only a theory.

Comment

i could also refer to thier limited knowledge of asscension, when the ancient said goodbye were going far far away, but really going to another plane, they asgard could simply of been left out of the loop.
                    sigpic
                    You are the fifth race, your role is clear, if there is any hope in preserving the future it lies with you and your people ~ 8years for those words
                    Stargate : Genesis |
                    Original Starship DesignThread
                    Sanctuary for all | http://virtualfleet.vze.com/
                    11000! green me

Comment

Originally posted by Avatar28
                      That, of course, brings up the question of which galaxy is Ida. Hmm, Ask Joe time?
                      Ask Joe? You're kidding, right? I'd ask some here who is studying astronomy or else look it up. But ask Joe?

Just a piece of useless info, there is an asteroid named Ida. As for a galaxy? I've never heard of one, but there are billions and billions of them, so I may have missed it.

Comment

The implication has been that Ida is (relatively speaking) close by to our galaxy. But we don't know exactly where, of course. Asking somebody with a knowledge of astronomy would be useless since there is, AFAIK, no galaxy by that name. I'm sure it's something that they just made up at the time, but now with Atlantis and Pegasus being a real galaxy, I'm wondering if they've decided on a real galaxy to be Ida.

Comment

Working...
                        X