This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Beginning of the Universe

I've been thinking about starting this thread for a while now, and since Evolution and Creation have their own threads, why not?

I've read the Big Bang theory, and I'm having a hard time believing this theory, all it explains is why everything is moving outwards, and it doesnt really make any sense.
    I would really love to know where everything came from in the first place.

I'll stop rambling now

sigpic
    Gate City - My humorous Stargate site made when I was young, enjoy!
    Previously known as False hope who was previously known as McKay's girl

I agree that the theory is somewhat unclear, but you try to make a better one. As far as I'm concerned the Big Bang theory is the best theory around. At least better than the "God created the world" thingy.
    Of course I have no idea how the universe came to existence, but common sense tells me that it can't just have popped out from nothing. Therefor there has to have been something before that became the universe, hence the Big Bang theory. However, common sense also tells me that this thingy (call it a pea or an apple) also must have come from something. And from sometime. Which kinda creates a paradox, since it can't have existed forever (in the words most eternal sense) but time can also not just have "started".. So what was before the thingy? Eternal nothingness?
    These are questions we will probably never understand. I don't even think our brain in its current state can fully comprehend the true meaning of eternity and infinity.

"We're grown-ups now and it's our turn to decide what that means." - xkcd
    The Church of Mappothism | My YouTube Videos (mostly Farscape music videos)

Starburst 1.1 1.2 1.3 | 2.1 2.2 2.3 | 3.1 3.2 3.3 | 4.1 4.2 4.3

Comment

Originally posted by McKay's girl
      I would really love to know where everything came from in the first place.
      By everything, I'm assuming that you're referring to matter and energy.

In a nutshell, when the Big Bang happened, the universe was filled with antiparticles and particles. When the two come in contact with each other, they annihilate and give off a huge amount of energy. The thing is, there was a tiny bit more particles in the universe than antiparticles, which is why there are things like quarks and electrons and photons and atoms and stuff today.

As the universe cooled and expanded, the particles eventually combined to make Hydrogen, which is 99% of all the matter in the universe. The Hydrogen gas clouds later collasped into stars, which created all other elements by fusing atoms together. The first generation of stars created Helium and Lithium, and then exploded in super-novas which made huge nebula that eventually collapsed into smaller stars that fused heavier elements, which gives us all the elements up to Iron. When those stars exploded, the elements they fused ended up floating around in clouds, which later collapsed into main sequence stars, like our Sun, and the planets that formed around the Sun.

In other words, all the atoms in your body were made by a star fusing together atoms; you are literally star-dust.

So that's the gist. I'd suggest reading up on Astronomy if you're interested; it paints a much more beautiful picture of reality than the traditional "God created everything".
      Jarnin's Law of StarGate:

1. As a StarGate discussion grows longer, the probability of someone mentioning the Furlings approaches one.

Comment

I think the biggest problem most people have with the Big Bang-theory is where did all the matter/energy come from from the start? since we all know energy can't be created or destroyed, something must already have existed before the big bang, but since the big bang created the universe blah blah blah

Personally I wouldn't mind the big bang being the result of a universal implotion, either in this universe or an alternate one. When such a huge implosion would occur the energy would spread out, creating smaller(less energy) universes

Comment

According to my religion the great and willful Religion of Sam There was a god called sam who was playing a drinking game after making a pure universe. Then he knocked something over causing the big bang chaning it to what it is now.
          (btw the religion of sam doesnt exist excpet for me !!!'
          Oh Yes the Sam is Back and hes more Sci-fied up than ever !!!!!!!!!

Coming Soon a new Banner from Me

Comment

Originally posted by aAnubiSs
            I think the biggest problem most people have with the Big Bang-theory is where did all the matter/energy come from from the start? since we all know energy can't be created or destroyed, something must already have existed before the big bang, but since the big bang created the universe blah blah blah
            You've heard of Zero Point Energy, right? Quantum Mechanics state that empty space still has energy, which is known as vacuum energy, or zero point energy.

Well, when you dive into stuff like Quantum Mechanics, you end up finding out that space is actually a sea of particles and antiparticles. Space contains all the ingredients you need to make all the matter and energy in the universe, but what you need is an event to release that energy, which is what the Big Bang was.

The most current theories state that two or more structures called Branes collided. In this case, it's probbaly easiest to think of Branes as bubbles.
            When two bubbles collide, sometimes they pop, and sometimes they stick together. In the case of the big bang, the two bubbles would have stuck together, and the force of the impact would have released huge amounts of particles and antiparticles that existed in the bubble walls into the space between the bubbles.
            So our universe is like the flat space between two or more bubbles that collided, and all the matter and energy in our universe came from the walls of those bubbles when they collided.

1. As a StarGate discussion grows longer, the probability of someone mentioning the Furlings approaches one.

Comment

Originally posted by Jarnin
              Well, when you dive into stuff like Quantum Mechanics, you end up finding out that space is actually a sea of particles and antiparticles. Space contains all the ingredients you need to make all the matter and energy in the universe, but what you need is an event to release that energy, which is what the Big Bang was.
              I thought space contained nothing, where did the particles and antiparticles come from?
              And also, what is an antiparticle?

sigpic

Comment

An anti-particle is a proton with a negative-charge, an electron with a positive charge(positron) or a neutron with different quarks (two -1/2 and one +1 or wth it now is, so long ago since I studied particle physics)

Space isn't empty, there's always radiation, the suns, black holes and other stuff create alot of stuff. There's also quarks that can combine and create new p+,e- and neutrons as well as their anti-particles. However quarks are too small for us to study at the moment, but it's theorised these can be created even in a totally energy-free void, but we can't study them, and there'll never be an energy-free area.

Oh and Jarnin, I'm very well aware of most, or all, of the (super)string theories and the other stuff that's needed for them, but most on a basic level, nothing where I'm forced to calculate stuff.

Comment

Space isn't empty. Current theories suggest that it's like an ocean of particle/antiparticle pairs that are frozen together (meaning they cannot react until they're freed).

There is alot of evidence that supports this theory, such as virtual particles. Virtual Particles are antiparticle/particle pairs that pop into existance from seemingly nowhere, and instantly annihilate each other giving off radiation in the process. If you were to input a huge amount of energy into spacetime (say, by whacking it with another spacetime brane) these virtual particles would be shaken lose from spacetime and start reacting with each other, thus inflating the space that surrounds them.

That's what the Big Bang was; two or more branes (or bubbles if you wish) collided and that was what generated all the matter and energy in the universe.

Comment

So where did the Branes come from?
                    ---
                    I have a great theory: Magnets! Outside the Universe there are giant magnets causing the universe to expand
                    ---
                    This is really complicated, so if anyone tells me the universe was created by magic I will buy that

"We're grown-ups now and it's our turn to decide what that means." - xkcd
                    The Church of Mappothism | My YouTube Videos (mostly Farscape music videos)

Starburst 1.1 1.2 1.3 | 2.1 2.2 2.3 | 3.1 3.2 3.3 | 4.1 4.2 4.3

Comment

Our Brains are too small to understand (although we like to try - it's so fascinating) - our best ideas are theories - we don't know for sure - after all, it did happen quite a while ago. Personally, i'm in the scientists brane camp.

Best advice - find a big circle that goes to another planet, and talk to a mysterious race called the Ancients ... and if they don't know, try the Furlings - thats an idea - Furlings the creators of the universe??
                      I'm not Weird, I'm Gifted!

Comment

Originally posted by jonno
                        Our Brains are too small to understand (although we like to try - it's so fascinating) - our best ideas are theories - we don't know for sure - after all, it did happen quite a while ago. Personally, i'm in the scientists brane camp.

Best advice - find a big circle that goes to another planet, and talk to a mysterious race called the Ancients ... and if they don't know, try the Furlings - thats an idea - Furlings the creators of the universe??
                        the furrlings are the bringer of light, as in the stars and stuff but they didt create the vastness of space and all the in betweens such as things like subspace and all those different layers, they also are the harbingers of dark and have existed all time and will do so for all time.

the ancients are the bringer of life they seeded the planets with life.
                        the ancients also tried to control time which which includes light and dark but failed.

the nox are the creators of the unseen the universe we cant see through human eyes, the wind the weather

the asgard are the creators of evolution and elements such as water fire and so on

only kidding but who knows!
                        For all the pollution woes on Earth, will the Human race end up taking those problems into space in the future?

We can all call our ships Sports Utility Ships to curtail the carbon emissions and hypersleep at night

Comment

In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.
                          42!!! Duh!

Comment

^ hehe, too true

sigpic

Comment

me to, too true^

the universe inside a universe has always interested me its a better way to understand infinity but who knows that could be a uni inside a uni as well its infinite the question will go on for all time

p.s i havent the time to post my theory today but i will post it another day i have more pressing matters that involve being naked (that is a shower by the way)
                              For all the pollution woes on Earth, will the Human race end up taking those problems into space in the future?

We can all call our ships Sports Utility Ships to curtail the carbon emissions and hypersleep at night

Comment

Working...
                              X