X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The sci-fi modeling thread!

Hey, guys and dolls!

Y'know, I think scale modeling is a dying craft. I mean, when I was a kid, I visited some freinds' homes and they had scale model airplanes and tanks or whatnot in their bedrooms. Today, if you visited an 8-year old's room, you'd see pokemon or whatever the kids are into these days.

Scale modeling is really fun and most often relaxing. There's something about seeing a bunch of parts coming together to form a coherent subject like a plane, tank, truck, car, boat or dare I say, spaceship.

Did you know there are Stargate ships available as kits? It's true!

Check 'em out!

http://www.federationmodels.com/mode...ls/default.htm
    >Scroll about halfway down to see the WARP Models Death Glider and Stargate!

WARP Models also makes a Tel'tak and upgraded Death Glider with folding wings. They are currently not available yet, though.

Take a look at some finished Death Glider pics by my bud Terry "TER-OR" Meisle: http://www.starshipmodeler.com/other/tm_death.htm

I wuld love to build sum of them but they're a bit pricey, frontiermodels.co.uk have sum good models, death gliders and a tel'tek, u mite have to do a search for 'stargate' to find them

Comment

Before me and the hubby got married he was sooo into scale modelling (probably because he's a RAF chappie). When I was pregnant, I was so bored that I made a few, i found it such a chilled out hobby, I loved the painting more than the making though. We've had to box up most of the models, there's hundreds, though our lad's got a few of them hanging from his ceiling.

I'm thinking of getting a Stargate model for the other half to make for me, I'd love to have a gate sat next to the pc.

Comment

I"d settle for a working model of the gate...but then again it wouldn't be a model would it?

"We'll keep the light on for you."

Comment

Originally posted by Ancient 1
          I"d settle for a working model of the gate...but then again it wouldn't be a model would it?
          Got room in your house for a 64,000 lb, 20 foot diameter hunk of Naquadah? I know a Stargate would fit in my back yard. But then again, that would be the only thing in my backwyard!

Comment

A cheaper alternative to the WARP kit available at Federation Models is to use the base of the MRC Stargate kits (Ra or Anubis). I picked up two of the Ra kits some time ago, planning to use the two gate pieces to build a single Stargate model. I started some preliminary work, but like so many other modeling projects, I managed to get sidetracked. I will come back to it eventually, but I plan finishing my Polar Lights Movie Enterprise model and Millennium Falcon kit before I will tackle the Stargate again.

In the meantime, anyone and all are welcome to take a look at some of my completed kits here:

Commander Dan's Model Gallery
            "Fighting a war that appears unwinnable does not make one's cause less noble."
            - Master Bra'tac

Comment

Well, after returning from the Stargate Con in Chicago, I couldn’t resist the urge to start working on my Stargate kit. The two halves have been prepared and glued together. I then etched the “rock” detail around the outer ring, and have since applied a primer coat of paint.

Planning to airbrush next…

Last edited by Commander Dan; 15 September 2005, 09:08 PM.
              - Master Bra'tac

Comment

I've always wanted to build a Goa'uld mother ship out of lego bits. Unfortunatly I have no legos with me... maybe I can bring potato sculpture to a whole new level.

MGM really oughtta go more commercial.
                TEAM SG1 LIVES

Comment

Originally posted by Commander Dan
                  Well, after returning from the Stargate Con in Chicago, I couldn’t resist the urge to start working on my Stargate kit. The two halves have been prepared and glued together. I then etched the “rock” detail around the outer ring, and have since applied a primer coat of paint.

Planning to airbrush next…

Hey, does your gate include a DHD? I hope it can dial a planet, too.

Comment

Pics of my “completed” Stargate:

- Master Bra'tac

Comment

Just finished another Stargate-related modeling project: a Zat gun.

It’s a solid resin kit, though I had to build the “fin” on the top from sheet styrene, as that was apparently not part of the mold.

Lots of sanding was involved, to get all of the rough spots out. A little putty, a base coat of paint, some airbrushing, detail painting, and viola!

- Master Bra'tac

Comment

I really wish that they would make some asgard ships, ha'tak, prometheus, daedulas and even a model of atlantis (which would be SO sweet).. I would probably buy them all....... hopefully they will soon
                        I am JJ, the Supreme Commander of the Furling Fleet!!!!

Comment

Your stuff looks AMAZING Comm Dan!! Especially the ZAT.

I don't do modeling but I thought you might want to check out this other guys' work. I posted on a differant thread and then 5 seconds later saw this thread for the first time.

http://forum.gateworld.net/showthread.php?t=19227

Comment

Commander Dan, how did you make that Stargate one??

Comment

Originally posted by S.G.C
                              Commander Dan, how did you make that Stargate one??
                              I made the Stargate using the bases of two Ra model kits, previously available from MRC. (Seen here.)

I still have the two Ra kits, and I may build one of those in the near future (without the Stargate base, of course.)
                              - Master Bra'tac

Comment

Working...
                              X