No announcement yet.

Out of Mind (222)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This is one of my favourite episodes. And one of the best clip shows I've ever seen. This is an example of what a clip show can be. Rather than as an excuse for lazy writing ("Oh, it's a clip show, lets just bung a few clips together and shove some dialogue in to link them"). And I think it's a real shame that Stargate didn't carry on the tradition started with Out of Mind and do more inventive clip shows with the other seasons.

One thing that's always puzzled me has been where Hathor got her troops from. The implication in the episode is that she's been luring them in in small groups to her base and then enslaving them with her breath. But we are told in Hathor that that doesn't work on Jaffa.

I loved seeing the return of Hathor - like Osiris she was just so deliciously evil and had so much fun being evil too - and was disappointed that she was dealt with here. Would have like to see her in a few more episodes before they got rid of her.

There were so many great moments in this one, a real mixture of humour, exciting action, team moments...wonderful.

Albion
    Listen, we had General Ryan come on and do a little cameo for us, and he's a real live four star, one of the big guys. And I had to ask him point blank, because there's a certain irreverence that I bring to the character, and denseness, but while we were doing this scene, I just looked at him and said, "Do you have guys like me in...?" and he stopped me and said, "Yes, and worse, and you're doing a fine job, son."

Richard Dean Anderson

Comment

One of my favourite episodes from season 2. Although it was a clip show, they went about it the right way so it was as enjoyable as a regular episode

Comment

Subtle goofs:

In "Out of Mind" the year was 2077. In "1969" (the previous episode) they arrived in back at the SGC in "the far future". Since the SGC looked kind of like it had been decomishioned it should have made them at the very least suspicious (even though no actual year was given in "1969" - but with technology -OR- a Tok'Ra it's very possible it could be around the same time).

When Jack is standing in the gate room the SG team that is about to leave is carrying 20th century weapons. One would assume that they would have been updated a bit.

When Carter awakes the General refers to her as doctor rather than captain.
        Lost Zinger of Atlantis: Excuse me! did you just say ass-chin?

Comment

As a clip show it wasn't bad because it had a really good plot line. Some gaps though such as Jack just willing giving up info so quickly. I wasn't suprised when Daniel did it but there is no way Jack would of done it.

Also like many of you have said it was a season finale so should of been alot better. I expect more from season finales and don't want to see a clip show right before the end. Do it like they did with S1 put the clip show right before the finale.

Comment

Originally posted by SmartFox
            As a clip show it wasn't bad because it had a really good plot line. Some gaps though such as Jack just willing giving up info so quickly. I wasn't suprised when Daniel did it but there is no way Jack would of done it.

Also like many of you have said it was a season finale so should of been alot better. I expect more from season finales and don't want to see a clip show right before the end. Do it like they did with S1 put the clip show right before the finale.
            I tell you that Jack was drugged!! I agree, Jack wouldn't give up info so easily.
            Hitler, Stalin, and Mussolini => three of the world's worst dictators.

Also failed artist, failed priest, and failed grade-school teacher.

What we should learn: Don't trust artists, be wary of priests, and fear your teachers!

Comment

I love this episode. Well, mostly. I for one adore the femme fatale characters--there's so much plot-wise that can be explored there--and I was delighted when they brought Hathor back. Not quite so delighted that they axed her 40-odd minutes later, granted, but I'll take what I can get.

I'm glad there haven't been many clips episodes. I don't mind them, but they still tend to come across as a cheater way of getting through an episode--there's so much of a miscoception tha clips episodes are throwaways that it's hard to take a storyline seriously, no matter how good it actually is.

And for the record, RDA looked great in white.

Comment

I agree that clip shows shouldn't be season finales, but I liked this one anyway. The premise was very cool and had me hooked to see what was really going on. Very good set up for the season 3 opener, and I think it kinda helps if you think of both as 1 episode.
                And it came to pass that in time the Great God Om spake unto Brutha, the Chosen One: "Psst!"

Jack: You're so shallow.
                Daniel: Oh please. Teal'c is like one of the deepest people I know. He's so deep. Tell him how deep you are. You'll be lucky if you understand this.
                Teal'c: My depth is immaterial to this conversation.
                Daniel: Oh! You see?
                Jack: (to Daniel) No more beer for you.

River: My food is problematic.

Comment

Originally posted by Hex.FTB.enabled
                  I agree that clip shows shouldn't be season finales, but I liked this one anyway. The premise was very cool and had me hooked to see what was really going on. Very good set up for the season 3 opener, and I think it kinda helps if you think of both as 1 episode.
                  They both basically are 1 ep. When ever any show has a cut off right in between eps i consider them 1 ep that is so long they have to be seperated. I'm so glad though that i got to see all the old eps on DVD that way i didn't have to wait a couple of months to see the conclusion.

Comment

hated it-stupid clip show. i dont usually mind sg1s clip shows but as a season finalle...thats just....mean!
                    sigpic
                    Stargate Destiny - Coming Again Soon

Comment

Originally posted by Elite Anubis Guard
                      hated it-stupid clip show. i dont usually mind sg1s clip shows but as a season finalle...thats just....mean!
                      See i didn't really consider this as a season finale. Just saw it on DVD and so it wasn't really a finale for me.

Comment

I wonder where she got all the different jaffa from-she cudnt av done the magic breath on em!
                        sigpic
                        Stargate Destiny - Coming Again Soon

Comment

Originally posted by zats
                          And for the record, RDA looked great in white.
                          Definately agree with you there.

I was surprised they didn't figure out that it was a trick sooner. I mean, i believed jack was in the future at the start of the episode, but there were far too many inconsistancies. Still fighting the gouald 70 years later? Why did the SGC look the same - it should have changed immeasurably in 70 years time. Think of the progress in technology we've made in the last 70 years: i didn't see 70 years more progress in this ep. And finally, why would they be so interested in the Nox and the Asgard - surely they would have read the mission reports if they were that interested, but they acted as though they'd never heard of these races.

Anyway, i expected Carter to figure it out - if i were her i would have asked a lot more questions. But i can put that down to her being in shock about her friends' deaths. And o'neill gave the information away quite easily, although at least he was suspiscious. Maybe you're right about them being drugged.

I groaned when i realised it was a clips episode, but it wasn't too bad. As long as clips are kept short and to the point i'm okay with them. Some here were too long, and some had a completely different atmosphere that didn't fit the mood of the episode, but they were mostly worked into the storyline imaginatively. I especially liked the idea of o'neill getting flashbacks when he's trying to fight.

Queenie

McKay: In military parlance surprise... is an element on our side.

Comment

Originally posted by hermajesty
                            Definately agree with you there.
                            <snippity-doo-da> i expected Carter to figure it out - if i were her i would have asked a lot more questions. But i can put that down to her being in shock about her friends' deaths. And o'neill gave the information away quite easily, although at least he was suspiscious. Maybe you're right about them being drugged.<end snippity>
                            We do know they were drugged--the line of green liquid. Initially, I thought it was only to keep them dozy, but it would make sense (for goa'uld) to have some sort of sodium pentathol element mixed in. Why deal with questions when you can simply make them go away?

Comment

Ive seen this episode for the first time (an thats odd that ive never seen an episode!) a few days ago! I buy 2 stargate magazine's/DVD's each month with 3 episode on it, i can't wait till the next issue come out this month i can't wait for it!

i bet teal'c will find out what happened when he goes back to chulac and then he manages to get on board of the ship...............................somehow.......or......................i dunno

I CAN'T WAIT!

Heru'ur is a God, he will rise and take revenge

Comment

I liked this episode a lot, it took a while to get into though. It was good to dee the goa'uld trying something different for a change. Also having more SG teams turning up to rescue SG1 was good. We never get to see other teams in action much unless they're getting beaten up. And we don't often see Hammond disobeying orders, or in action- Yeehaa!

Comment

Working...
                                X