This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Majority of Shippers?

I noticed that the shipping board is the one with the most viewers...im wondering how many people are actually shippers opposed to just followers?
    sigpic
    Stargate Destiny - Coming Again Soon

That probably depends on what you mean by "Shipping Board."

Do you mean the "Characters and Relationships" forum?

If that's the case - "Relationships" is just one half of that. A lot of people go in there to post in a character thunk thread. I go in there usually to read/participate in the "Daniel Discussion" thread or the "Anti-Sam/Jack ship" thread.

I'm also a little puzzled by the distinction you place between "shipper" and "follower." What precisely is a "follower?"

Many thanks to blingaway for the sig pic.

Comment

I mean like people who just watch it for like the action and story and stuff rather than for the shipping.
      sigpic

Comment

Well I am a Sam and Jack shipper but I never watched Stargate because of Sam and Jack. I watched it pure for the action but than well you felt that there is something between them, so it was also nice to see a bit of romance between the characters. but it should be the most important thing of the show.
        Lord Zedd

Comment

Hm.

I watch Stargate for the following reasons (listed pretty much in order):
          • The characters. Particularly Daniel, Jack, and Teal'c. In my mind, this is really the only reason to get into a story - if you don't care about the people in it, then you won't care about the story.

This also includes the relationships between the characters, which are among the best ways to make us care about the characters. By "relationships," I don't mean "romantic relationships" (because romantic relationships rarely make the characters more interesting; in fact, they usually make the characters less interesting) - I primarily mean the friendships. In particular, the complex Daniel/Jack relationship is a big part of why I watch the show.

• The story. Specifically, I love stories that make us think about complex ethical issues, exciting stories (whether they're exciting because of action or intrigue), and stories that further develop the characters.

Those are pretty much my reasons for watching Stargate.

Comment

OK sorry, didn't mean to offend!
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Elite Anubis Guard
              OK sorry, didn't mean to offend!
              Ouch. Is that directed at me? _Anubis certainly didn't seem offended, so it must be.

Sorry if my wording indicated that I was offended. I'm not really sure how it could have... but anyway, I wasn't offended . My previous post was just the best and most thorough way I could think of to answer your question. You seemed to be asking people why they watch Stargate. And... that is why I watch Stargate.

Comment

From what I've seen, this board in general seems to be evenly split between those who ship and those who don't. That being said, there are minor shippers and major shippers, it's a spectrum like anything else.

Comment

to some, the relationship is why they watch the show.
                  however, there is a near limitless number of relationships

jack/daniel
                  jack/sam
                  daniel/sam
                  jack/teal'c
                  teal'c/sam
                  teal'c/daniel
                  george/jack
                  george/sam
                  george/daniel
                  george/teal'c

etc, etc, etc.

and with all these combinations, some only want to see friendship, others want to see more

while the simple action/adventure aspect of the show may appeal to some, the relationships between the characters - be it friendship or more - is also of great appeal to some

since there is a near limitless combination of pairings and levels of commitment, there is a near limitless of things that appeal to folks
                  Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

I think you'll find that most shippers, myself included, watch the show for the stories and adventure. The ship aspect is just the icing on the cake. I enjoy a good explosion or two, but I also like the fun of the relationships, from friendship to maybe something more.
                    sigpic

Comment

I'm not really a "shipper" because i'm not really into the character relationship aspects of stargate. I'm more of a "thunker" (more like "Wraith worshipper"). But that doesn't mean i'm against ship or anything. some of the Ship threads are quite a read! The same can be said for the Thunk threads. The Characters and Relations Forum is the largest at GW, which only attests to the appeal of the heroes and characters of the stargate universe.

Comment

I'm a total shipper (for LOTS of shows) but I don't usually check out the ship threads on the bboards. I prefer watching the ship on the show. Didn't know what all the fuss was about with Jack/Sam until I saw it actually develop over the first seven years, but I was completely sold on it by Lost City... TOTALLY.

I'll probably never be as into their ship as I am others, but it makes the stories more interesting, because of the complications involved.

Can't wait for season 9!!!

Comment

Originally posted by dipsofjazz
                          I think you'll find that most shippers, myself included, watch the show for the stories and adventure. The ship aspect is just the icing on the cake. I enjoy a good explosion or two, but I also like the fun of the relationships, from friendship to maybe something more.
                          Ahh right, and thanks Sky Diver. I understand the difference now, while I watch it for action and blah, I also enjoy the dynamics between the team members, especially Jack and Daniel which in itself is friendshipping. Ok thanks guys!
                          sigpic

Comment

Working...
                          X