This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Point of Origin

Sorry if this has been covered elsewhere but so far I haven't seen it.....

OK, been thinking again!!! Why do we need to dial a point of origin to establish a wormhole to another stargate?

The first six glyphs are used to establish the 3D coordinates of space for the location of another stargate, but why dial a seventh? Surely the stargate you're dialling from can act as its own point of reference (especially now we know about the correlative update system that adjusts the network to compensate for stellar drift etc).....the gate should "know" where it is in relation to all the others.....

I can accept this is DHD related and seeing as the Earth stargate doesn't have one you need to dial a PoO........

But seeing as the Ancients were clever enough to build the stargate system, they'd surely make it easy to use and intuitive.......so why the PoO??

Just seems like extra work to have to check each DHD for its unique PoO symbol to dial out/home when it can be a built in feature.........

Any ideas??

Theoretically you are right the gate could automatically input the point of origin.

I think it has something to do with more primitive races. With the seventh symbol being dialed it would be easier to figure out what the gate does. That is how we figured it out, seven symbols, six for a location and one to plot a course.

Sorry I have to go out, but I will talk more about this later.

Owen Macri

Comment

(you don't need to dial PoO on a DHD. The Big Red Button takes care of that.)
      I have two ideas:

1- PLOT DEVICE!!! They needed some sort of obsticle for Daniel in the movie...

2-To tell the 'gate when you're done dialing.

If there was no PoO/big red button, you could get to a planet with the address of 1-2-3-4-5-6 just fine. But, if you wanted to go to 1-2-3-4-5-6-7(an eight chevron address, different galaxy), how would the 'gate know not to engage after the 6 was dialed?
      JACKSON: ...I mean isn't that why we're doing this, all of this? The Stargate program, the budget? Isn't it so we can go and meet new races, gather advanced technology and possibly learn about ourselves in the process?
      VALA: Oh, come on! you do it to meet women.
      MITCHELL: She has a point, sir.
      LANDRY
      : I've been thinking I need to get out on an offworld mission or two.
      Get FireFox! Browse with Tabs!
      Stargate Omega, Now a vBulletin!
      Mmm... Green...

Comment

Originally posted by Owen Macri
        Theoretically you are right the gate could automatically input the point of origin.

I think it has something to do with more primitive races. With the seventh symbol being dialed it would be easier to figure out what the gate does. That is how we figured it out, seven symbols, six for a location and one to plot a course.

Sorry I have to go out, but I will talk more about this later.

Owen Macri
        Actually, it just confused movie-Daniel. He figured out that you dialed six symbols for the coordinates, but he had no idea what the seventh was for (at first)..

"We're grown-ups now and it's our turn to decide what that means." - xkcd
        The Church of Mappothism | My YouTube Videos (mostly Farscape music videos)

Starburst 1.1 1.2 1.3 | 2.1 2.2 2.3 | 3.1 3.2 3.3 | 4.1 4.2 4.3

Comment

I like the idea that the BRB acts as the PoO glyph, it would make alotta sense......but we've seen PoO glyphs on offworld DHD's before (can't remember which eps but I'll dig 'em out), so why would you need a PoO if the BRB does the job???

Comment

And thinking about the PoO.......which stargate are we using now (going into season 9)? I can never remember.....is the PoO the A with a little circle (original gate) or the O with a line underneath (Antarctic gate)???

Comment

It's the A symbol. The Antartic 'gate was destroyed by that whole Anubis-superweapon thing.
              JACKSON: ...I mean isn't that why we're doing this, all of this? The Stargate program, the budget? Isn't it so we can go and meet new races, gather advanced technology and possibly learn about ourselves in the process?
              LANDRY
              Mmm... Green...

Comment

Originally posted by PrimalAscended
                I like the idea that the BRB acts as the PoO glyph, it would make alotta sense......but we've seen PoO glyphs on offworld DHD's before (can't remember which eps but I'll dig 'em out), so why would you need a PoO if the BRB does the job???
                http://www.rdanderson.com/stargate/glyphs/dhd.jpg << the Abydoian(sp?) DHD. The PoO is at 10 O'clock.

Your right. No need for a BRB if there's a PoO and vise versa. Probably just an error.
                LANDRY
                Mmm... Green...

Comment

Arrrrggghhhh......being doing some digging and now I'm more confused.....

Gates have 39 symbols but DHD's only have 38, they lack the PoO......so the BRB does act as the PoO............BUT we have seen unique PoO's on off world DHD's so what gives???
                  And having watched a few more episodes on DVD I've seen Daniel dial 7 glyphs then the BRB, so confusion reigns!!

I think I'm gonna chalk it up to "inconsistency" and go with the BRB as PoO idea.....makes more sense to my little primitive brain

And so to the 2 gates business..........did we use a new dialling computer program for when we used the 2 different gates with the correct PoO symbols??? Or did it not really matter seeing as the gates only differed by the one symbol and the original program with the (A circle) just dialled the (O line) when connected to the Antarctic gate....... hmmmmmm

Comment

I'll say inconsistency, too

As for the dialing program, they just used the same program. The two gates are exactly the same(on the inside), so the program worked for both. They had to replace all of the superconducting parts, though.
                    LANDRY
                    Mmm... Green...

Comment

Replace ALL the superconducting parts???? My God man, they're not miracle workers!!!!

<chuckle>

Comment

I think it was the reason SG-1 was stuck on an alien world for a week or two. I can go look it up.
                        LANDRY
                        Mmm... Green...

Comment

But aren't the superconducting parts the naquadah?? We'd have no chance of replacing all that, we'd be rebuilding the gate.........wouldn't we??

Comment

Not the Naquadah, the 'wires' and things that we have hooked up to the gate. If we didn't have 'em, we'd have a dialing program, but no way to actually get the 'gate to move and dial.
                            LANDRY
                            Mmm... Green...

Comment

Couldn't we just use magnets????

Comment

Working...
                              X