No announcement yet.

Holiday (217)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Indeed. It also brings to mind ideas which are probably best discussed in the Daniel Thunk Thread!

I think I've already mentioned how much I enjoyed Machello's almost childlike wonder at his new lease of life. On top of that, though, it was also quite bittersweet in that he'd had to claim his new life at the expense of someone else, particularly as he had more or less shoved it to the back of his mind; a sort of 'I gave my whole life for these people, so I deserve something back'. It clearly hadn't occurred to him that what he'd done was very, very 'Goa'uld-ish', so I wasn't surprised when he took such enormous offence at Daniel for pointing that out. It's not nice to find out that, after years fighting someone you despise, you end up doing something that makes you just like that someone.

Plus the bodyswapping was fun. It would have been fun if Sam had been switched as well, though I thought also it would have been particularly hilarious if Hammond had been swapped with someone!
    sigpic

Comment

I love the part were Michael Shanks was fighting with himself. 'I'm Daniel Jackson.' 'Yes, I am Daniel Jackson.' ' no I'm Daniel Jackson.' That was so funny. And of course, Jack and Teal'c getting switched was Awsome.
      *Rachel Luttrel* "Where are the bathrooms on Atlantis?" Now what the heck kinda question is that?

Comment

Originally posted by ShimmeringStar
        Liked the dialogue when Daniel was trying to convince everyone he was inside Ma’chello’s body…
        Jack: "All right, describe for me the dress your sister wore last week when I took her out."
        Daniel (in M's body): "I don't have a sister, Jack, and if I did, I wouldn't let you near her."
        Classic line. I liked this episode quite a bit, mostly for the body switching. Honestly, the Machello stuff fell a little flat to me, but I loved watching MS/Machello just dig into that sundae.

I think my favorite moment was Jack in Daniel's body, "Danny boy." Shanks did a perfect job imitating RDA with just one line. And yes it would've been funny to see well, any of the guys in Sam's body (anyone see the Farscape ep with with a similar gag? Hilarious.)

The only thing I was disappointed in was I wish we'd heard a little more about Machello's inventions. You'd think someone who'd lived that long and was that notorious could have developed something of use, even with the code. Oh well, one of many plot holes. Still liked the episode.
        And it came to pass that in time the Great God Om spake unto Brutha, the Chosen One: "Psst!"

Jack: You're so shallow.
        Daniel: Oh please. Teal'c is like one of the deepest people I know. He's so deep. Tell him how deep you are. You'll be lucky if you understand this.
        Teal'c: My depth is immaterial to this conversation.
        Daniel: Oh! You see?
        Jack: (to Daniel) No more beer for you.

River: My food is problematic.

Comment

I always enjoy this episode, yep it woud have been interesting to learn a few more things about Ma'chello' 'devices', his history alone was interesting too, quite the renegade according to Teal'c.

I love the restaurant scene, Ma'chello's decision to always eat burgers and french fries and hot fudge sundaes, 'feast on me' and the way he & Fred are just getting along so well, Fred so bemused but happy to be there getting something to eat, going with the flow. I'd love to have seen a follow up scene too showing how Ma'chello went about 'courting a wife' too

The body swap scenes were great fun, but I'm so glad Jack didn't let Teal'c shave his head though!

'Thank you for my holiday.'

Comment

This episode was genius. I love how Machello acted in Daniel's body. he was like a child that have gone out to play for the first time. He's curiosity about things and people it was fun watching him trying to meet people and wanting to eat junk food all his life. I love the Jack/Teal'c switch. To see Teal'c acted like jack. Even if it wasn't teal'c it was good to see teal'cs body smile and let loose. i can't believe that teal'c wanted to shave jack's head. it was good to see jack being funny in teal'cs body. it would have been great to see one of the guys and sam switch bodies. This was a fantastic episode and very funny. i love it.

Comment

I love this ep and you probably have all said this but I loved how CJ and RDA played eachothers role. I especially loved CJ has Jack. I bet CJ and RDA really liked doing that ep.

Comment

Originally posted by Hex.FTB.enabled
                Classic line. I liked this episode quite a bit, mostly for the body switching. Honestly, the Machello stuff fell a little flat to me, but I loved watching MS/Machello just dig into that sundae.

I think my favorite moment was Jack in Daniel's body, "Danny boy." Shanks did a perfect job imitating RDA with just one line. And yes it would've been funny to see well, any of the guys in Sam's body (anyone see the Farscape ep with with a similar gag? Hilarious.)

The only thing I was disappointed in was I wish we'd heard a little more about Machello's inventions. You'd think someone who'd lived that long and was that notorious could have developed something of use, even with the code. Oh well, one of many plot holes. Still liked the episode.
                Yeah, I saw that Farscape. It was aired before we stopped watching it, and I'm glad for that reason they didn't switch Carter with one of the guys. It would've come out wrong and just look like a rip-off.

And Daniel's Sister, you should be really glad for this ep for one big reason: it's where you got your sig, am I right?
                Yes, I really do look like (a younger) Daniel. Don't believe me? Look for yourself.

Hey, Mitchell! You want a turn?

Comment

Originally posted by Daniel's_twin
                  Yeah, I saw that Farscape. It was aired before we stopped watching it, and I'm glad for that reason they didn't switch Carter with one of the guys. It would've come out wrong and just look like a rip-off.

And Daniel's Sister, you should be really glad for this ep for one big reason: it's where you got your sig, am I right?
                  Yeah.I did get my sig in this ep.But,hey, when are you going to put up a picture of you? We really want to see what you look like.
                  Last edited by Daniel's Sister; 20 April 2005, 01:59 PM.
                  *Rachel Luttrel* "Where are the bathrooms on Atlantis?" Now what the heck kinda question is that?

Comment

This episode has to be one of my faves.

The whole body switch had me in stitches.

Ma'chello and Fred funny as well, when Ma'chello said to the waitress I would like to kiss you (or something like that) and she was like I bet you would.

Cracked me up....the whole of this eppy was funny, I was in stitches from start to end.

I wouldn't be surprised if the whole of the cast were in stitches.

Brilliant acting from RDA and CJ

British-Indian and proud.

Comment

The thing that intrigued me as well was, why on earth would Machello invent such a device? The only use it apparently has is to switch personalities between two bodies, so you can't help but assume that he deliberately built it for the specific purpose of nicking someone else's body and fleeing in a new guise that no Goa'uld would recognise.

Given his battle against the Goa'uld for the benefit of all Galactic peoples, it says a lot about how bitter he had become that he was prepared to take someone else's body and condemn them to die in his old one - and not care two hoots that he'd done it, either. Fortunately, there was still enough of a spark of honour left in him to accept Daniel's argument that they should switch back again. Either that or his conscience had been nagging right from the word go but was being furiously ignored until that confrontation with Daniel gave it the upper hand.
                      sigpic

Comment

Machelo did this because he believes he is "owed" for all the good he has done over the years. i think that he was tire of fighting and just wanted to live a normal life without goa'uld or fighting.

Comment

Given what he was up against, and what he and his people had been through, who could blame him?

Shame that the only way he could do it was at someone else's expense, though.
                          sigpic

Comment

it still doens't give him the right though

Heru'ur is a God, he will rise and take revenge

Comment

Originally posted by Heru'urs_first_prime
                              it still doens't give him the right though
                              Absolutely true. He was almost certainly in denial about that bit of the 'swap bodies with someone else' argument; hence his taking offence when Daniel points out to him that, by pinching another person's body, he's become exactly like the Goa'uld he despises so much.

While I can understand what drove him to even contemplate doing what he did, I certainly wouldn't condone it. No matter how much you think the galaxy owes you, you still can't go about nicking someone else's body and leaving them stuck in yours to die of old age.

Not even for hot fudge sundaes.
                              sigpic

Comment

Funny, but the first time I watched Holiday, I didn't like it. But as I watched it several more times, I began to see the angst of Machello, and he became, not the villan, but the true victim. Of course, he had no right to take Daniel's body, and hence his life, and Daniel's argument, that it made him no better than the Goa' uld, really hit home. But honestly, weren't you all hoping there was some way to save him? Someway to give him back the time stolen by the Goa'uld? Someway to reward him for all those years of lonliness and loss?

Just watching him enjoy an ice cream sundae, with his new "friend" was heartwrenching. He had never known the little pleasures in life, simply because he had the courage to defy the powers that be (no pun intended, honestly).

In addition, I think the writers did an excellent job of keeping a "lighter" note running throughout the episode, by having O'Neill and Teal'c "switch" bodies. I will never forget Teal'c (aka O'Neill), walking down the Gate ramp, answering Gen. Hammond with that great one liner, "Ya think?" and giving O'Neill (aka Teal'c) that withering look.

Great stuff....and a great episode. A nice break from the old shoot em up, bang bang epi's.
                                On fighting:
                                Farrah: "A swordsman does not fear death, if he dies with honor."
                                Dr. Who: "Then he's an idiot."

Comment

Working...
                                X