No announcement yet.

A Matter of Time (216)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It's definitely one of my favorite episodes.

(Yes, I'm female. Okay?)
    Sum, ergo scribo...

My own site ** FF.net * All That We Leave Behind * Symbiotica ** AO3
    sigpic
    now also appearing on DeviantArt
    Explore Colonel Frank Cromwell's odyssey after falling through the Stargate in Season Two's A Matter of Time, and follow Jack's search for him. Significant Tok'ra supporting characters and a human culture drawn from the annals of history. Book One of the series By Honor Bound.

Comment

Yeah it is a great episode
      sigpic

You got nothing on my smileys

Comment

Ok, so we've got more backstory for Jack, time dilations, suspense, all-hope-is-lost-we're-gonna-die, and Carter's technobabble?

Awesome!

Best moment:
        *Sam spouts off a ton of technobabble*
        *Jack nods*
        Col Cromwell: "Don't even pretend you understand that."
        "Y'know; Lose it. It means, go crazy. Nuts. Insane. Bonzo. No Longer in posession of one's faculties. Three fries short of a Happy Meal. WHACKO!!!!!"

The perfect couple!

Comment

I absolutely love that line of Cromwell's. Well, I always loved the Cromwell character anyway, and the idea of his history with Jack. I definitely thought he deserved better than what we were shown as his fate, and since the writers did kind of leave things open, I decided to explore that.

(Yes, I'm female. Okay?)
          Sum, ergo scribo...

sigpic
          Explore Colonel Frank Cromwell's odyssey after falling through the Stargate in Season Two's A Matter of Time, and follow Jack's search for him. Significant Tok'ra supporting characters and a human culture drawn from the annals of history. Book One of the series By Honor Bound.

Comment

hmmm. Another meh ep.

Interesting for the physics and a bit more knowledge about the gate and wormholes and black holes in general. I find it hard to believe that Jack doesn't have, apparently, even a rudimentary knowledge of what a wormhole is, given his interest in astrology (similarly, he shouldn't have look so baffled by the words shift and red in close proximity)
            In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is king

sigpic

Comment

I would hope Jack would not believe is a psuedo science like astrology
              Originally posted by aretood2
              Jelgate is right

Comment

poop - blame it on the alcohol.
                Astronomy. Astronomy.

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Major Clanger View Post
                  hmmm. Another meh ep.

Interesting for the physics and a bit more knowledge about the gate and wormholes and black holes in general. I find it hard to believe that Jack doesn't have, apparently, even a rudimentary knowledge of what a wormhole is, given his interest in [astronomy] (similarly, he shouldn't have look so baffled by the words shift and red in close proximity)
                  Actually, this is one of my favorite episodes because it gives us more insight into Jack's past and helps to develop him as a character. As to his supposed befuddlement when Sam is explaining the function of wormholes to him, I think part of it is more a matter of his goofing around to see whether or not Sam would buy the befuddled act. I mean, just a few minutes later he is the first one to point out to Hammond that what they're seeing in the MALP feed from P3W-451 is, in fact, a black hole. He says it even before Sam mentions it.

Jack's perfectly well aware of redshifts and black holes. Wormholes might be a bit more foreign to him given that they're more in the realm of astrophysics than of astronomy per se and he's probably still adjusting to the idea of working with them on a regular basis. The impression I always got was that he wasn't confused by the idea of wormholes themselves but more by the way in which the Stargate generated and managed them, and the fact that he and his team could actually use them for travel, as that would've remained firmly in the realm of either theory or science fiction until his first encounter with Gate travel. Remember that Jack never had the advantage we've had of having been made familiar with something like Gate travel via a show like Stargate...

(Yes, I'm female. Okay?)
                  Sum, ergo scribo...

sigpic

Comment

well, I got my initial information about wormholes from A Brief History of Time...
                    ;-)

sigpic

Comment

I love that book. I'm just guessing that Jack's probably been a bit busy to read it...

(Yes, I'm female. Okay?)
                      Sum, ergo scribo...

sigpic

Comment

The One Where They Connect With A Black Hole

Jack putting Carter in her place when she wants to keep the gate open to witness the black hole's destruction... good one Carter! Totally ignoring Boyd's team, pretending they're not in big trouble and dying.

Donuts and apples... sometimes it's the every day things that can help us out the most when we need to explain things like wormholes. Poor Jack trying to wrap his head around the apple and the worm.

Loved how the vortex starts spinning out of the control -- cool effect.

Cromwell's the red shirt of the day -- too bad really. I might have liked to see more of him.
                        Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum

Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 10 of SG-1

Comment

Originally posted by Falcon Horus View Post
                          Cromwell's the red shirt of the day -- too bad really. I might have liked to see more of him.
                          My reaction exactly... and how I came to write fanfiction! I always felt that Cromwell deserved better, and that he would make a perfect vehicle or foil for further exploration of Jack's psyche as well. My Muse felt likewise, and in fact threatened to hold one of my original novels (then in progress) hostage until I agreed to do something with Cromwell, which is why All That We Leave Behind and the rest of my By Honor Bound fanfic series (forthcoming) exist.

I love the tension in this episode, and the glimpse we get of another 'dark' portion of Jack's past. Also, the use of light -- or its relative absence -- in shooting the various scenes of this ep is masterful.

(Yes, I'm female. Okay?)
                          Sum, ergo scribo...

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by SF_and_Coffee View Post
                            Actually, this is one of my favorite episodes because it gives us more insight into Jack's past and helps to develop him as a character. As to his supposed befuddlement when Sam is explaining the function of wormholes to him, I think part of it is more a matter of his goofing around to see whether or not Sam would buy the befuddled act. I mean, just a few minutes later he is the first one to point out to Hammond that what they're seeing in the MALP feed from P3W-451 is, in fact, a black hole. He says it even before Sam mentions it.

Jack's perfectly well aware of redshifts and black holes. Wormholes might be a bit more foreign to him given that they're more in the realm of astrophysics than of astronomy per se and he's probably still adjusting to the idea of working with them on a regular basis. The impression I always got was that he wasn't confused by the idea of wormholes themselves but more by the way in which the Stargate generated and managed them, and the fact that he and his team could actually use them for travel, as that would've remained firmly in the realm of either theory or science fiction until his first encounter with Gate travel. Remember that Jack never had the advantage we've had of having been made familiar with something like Gate travel via a show like Stargate...
                            Agreed- 100%. Jack is clearly more intelligent than he acts. He uses humor to distance himself. In reality, he has a great deal of depth. Plenty of other characters point out this fact.
                            sigpic

Comment

Has anyone read the sequel & threequel Sally Malcolm wrote as a follow-up to this episode, A Matter of Honor?

Apparently SG-1 rescues the stranded SG-10 from the black hole in those books, but given the SG-1 S10 episode Pegasus Project, wouldn't the blast from the end of this episode have killed SG-10?--Not to mention Carter gating chunks of star there on a later mission. SG-10 were a few feet from the gate...

I wonder if Malcolm addresses this...
                              sigpic
                              "Most of our John Sheppard impressions sound more like a demented Jimmy Stewart than Joe Flanigan."
                              ~David Hewlett

Comment

I keep thinking I might give it a read, but I haven't yet. The funny part is that I chose the name for my fic series based on this episode before I ever even heard of her work, so when I did hear about it, I thought, "Wow... that's weird!"

(Yes, I'm female. Okay?)
                                Sum, ergo scribo...

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X