A Matter of Time (216)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Selmak
    So lets review... black hole keeps gate on... Explosion turns gate off.
    No. The explosion jumped the wormhole to a gate that can be shut down. Didn't ya listen to Carter at all?
    sigpic
    Banner By JME2

Comment

I think it's not that hard to listen to Carter,.........but understanding,that's the harder part !
      Actually,I do understand the science behind a lot of Stargate tech,but not by any means all of it .......
      The place to "Gate" to during Outages for updates and info:

Comment

Originally posted by F.H.BAGPUSS
        I think it's not that hard to listen to Carter,.........but understanding,that's the harder part !
        Actually,I do understand the science behind a lot of Stargate tech,but not by any means all of it .......
        It's not so much a matter of understanding the science as it is remembering "the rules" (at least the ones that they stick to )

Comment

Agreed. Sometimes the Show canon contradicts itself.Adds to the fun of discussion, IMO.
          The place to "Gate" to during Outages for updates and info:

Comment

I think this is a really classic example of why I love Amanda Tapping's playing of Sam. She delivers the scientific and technical jargon like she seems to understand it. She probably has the advantage that it makes at least some more sense than it does in other science fiction series. It just seems like no matter how good an actor or actress is, that some of them just can't deliver the 'technobabble' like they understand it.

As much as I like the Jadzia Dax character in Star Trek: Deep Space Nine, I never got the feeling that it was anything more than ... babble.
            Last edited by Major Fischer; 16 August 2004, 09:36 PM. Reason: Darn Smilies

Comment

The technobabble in this show is way better then in many other sci-fi shows. There where times in star trek where I just wished they´d simply say it was the particle of the week that was causing the ship to fail instead of rambling on with lame crap like they always did.

As for this particular show, I really love it and it makes it into my top ten list.

Comment

Both the science and the archeology are handled quite well. I've a friend who is an egyptologist and claims that someone had to have done research not just on egyptology, but on what it is like to be an egyptologist.

It just seems to me like SG1's writers actually pick up reference books instead of just making stuff up

Comment

Yeah, I heard that as well. I even seem to recall reading some where that there were actual historical texts that refered to pharoes (sp?) going in for somekind of ceremony and that after them they came out with glowing eyes

This attention to detail is why the show has made it into a eigth season and will hopefully make it into season 10

Comment

This is the first episode that Major Davis was in. Over time, I began to like him.

Comment

I liked this ep! I still get a headache trying to work out ye olde time dialation thingabob and how it worked through the 'gate...but either way it was really cool.

Just to ask a general question: I still can't figure out how the MALP and FRED (not to mention regular radio) transmissions can go both ways through the 'gate. If the matter stream could only go one way, how do the radio signals? Is it because they're not matter anyway? Or am I just smack out of my mind? Was thinking of that when I was downing Excedrine (they should make those in one-pound tablets ) and trying to figure out how the time dilation was screwing up the SGC and surrounding area but still (initially, at least) keeping transmissions in (relatively) real time.

Did that make sense? I think it did.

Anyway, good ep. I loved the scene where Sam's tags get sucked into the hole. Very cool; not exactly high-tech but still made a ringing point.

Comment

Originally posted by zats
                        I liked this ep! I still get a headache trying to work out ye olde time dialation thingabob and how it worked through the 'gate...but either way it was really cool.
                        I tried to remember that also but gave up on it after while. Now I wonder what has happened to Col. Cromwell, I believe that's his name.

Comment

Originally posted by greytop
                          I tried to remember that also but gave up on it after while. Now I wonder what has happened to Col. Cromwell, I believe that's his name.
                          From his point of view, he's likely whizzing resignedly into a black hole and getting pulled to bits and from there no one knows. From an observer's point of view, he's barely moving and is stretching weirdly and basically dying what looks like a horribly drawn-out death.

Yeah, I try not to think of either time dialation or Cromwell. Some topics shouldn't be dwelled upon.

Comment

Isn't Carter going to get into trouble for losing her tags? I'm sure there must be regs. that say you must wear your tags at all time while on active duty!

And how do you write up the report?

Reason for loss: Eaten by wormhole!
                            Last edited by SeaBee; 25 September 2004, 05:31 AM. Reason: spelling
                            sigpic

Comment

Gotta say I loved this episode.

I'm a bit of an astronomy buff, and I never found the technobabble in this episode hard to follow. Everythin made perfect sense.

I did find out one thing I didn't know about was the time dialation, and that means I learnt something from Jack!!!

I knew he was intelligent!
                              sigpic
                              Part 2 coming very soon!! (this is a fic btw, not the Fandemonium novel)

Comment

Originally posted by SeaBee
                                Isn't Carter going to get into trouble for losing her tags? I'm sure there must be regs. that say you must wear your tags at all time while on active duty!
                                Tags are very easy to replace, and no, there would be no report involved.

Comment

Working...
                                X