Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 78910 11 LastLast
Results 181 to 200 of 211

Thread: A Matter of Time (216)

  1. #181
    Lieutenant Colonel SaraBahama's Avatar
    Member Since
    May 2011
    Location
    holding the hand of a mad man with a blue box.
    Posts
    3,274

    Default Re: A Matter of Time (216)

    I like the exploration into Jack's backstory. I came to like Cromwell as the story progressed (I do wish that we had seen him again). His name should have been mentioned at the end of the ep after Jack woke up in the infirmary.

    Jack's feeling of responsibility for Hank Boyd and his team, and the contrast with Cromwell having left him behind ("It's the same d**n thing!") were gut wrenching. Jack's pride in Carter throughout was very cool -a far cry from CotG ("I like women, I just have a little problem with scientists"). Teal'c and Sam's efforts to pull Jack clear in time really tugged my heart.


    "When Colonel Maybourne and yourself were stranded off world, Major Carter felt a similar sense of frustration. She despaired at the thought of never seeing you again." ~Teal'c
    "I didn't leave…because I'd have rather died myself…than lose Carter." ~Jack O'Neill


    SaraBahama FanFic; AO3

  2. #182
    Lieutenant Colonel Matt G's Avatar
    Member Since
    May 2004
    Location
    Exeter, UK
    Posts
    3,102

    Default Re: A Matter of Time (216)

    Just caught the fan commentary for this ep...not my favourite ep of S2(Serpents Lair) or the one I voted for and won(The Fifth Race) but still a v.cool ep.

    1. Had forgotten that Graham Simmonds would show up in S8.

    2. Is the Iraq incident the same as the black hole incident? I'd say not quite.

    3. I knew it was two weeks that the SGC had been hit by time dialation!

  3. #183
    Lieutenant Colonel SF_and_Coffee's Avatar
    Member Since
    Feb 2011
    Location
    P2A-870, helping the Am Rhyddid
    Posts
    3,670

    Default Re: A Matter of Time (216)

    Well, to be fair, what Cromwell was pointing out to Jack regarding the similarity between Iraq and the fate of SG-10 was that in both cases, you don't send in live people in a futile effort to recover someone. There was no known way to recover SG-10, who had to be left on P3W-451. And in Iraq, Cromwell had thought Jack was dead. ("You got hit; I saw you go down," and the implication is that this happened in such a way as to make it appear definitely that Jack had been killed.) Everyone who's been in combat knows that you don't sacrifice live guys to retrieve a corpse.

    So both Cromwell and Jack now shared the experience of having been placed in situations where they had no choice but to leave someone behind when they very desperately wanted not to. Cromwell pointed this out to Jack whether Jack liked it or not, and personally, I think Cromwell was well within his rights to do so.

    (Yes, I'm female. Okay?)
    Sum, ergo scribo...

    My own site ** FF.net * All That We Leave Behind * Symbiotica ** AO3

    now also appearing on DeviantArt
    Explore Colonel Frank Cromwell's odyssey after falling through the Stargate in Season Two's A Matter of Time, and follow Jack's search for him. Significant Tok'ra supporting characters and a human culture drawn from the annals of history. Book One of the series By Honor Bound.

  4. #184
    Lieutenant Colonel Matt G's Avatar
    Member Since
    May 2004
    Location
    Exeter, UK
    Posts
    3,102

    Default Re: A Matter of Time (216)

    Well retrieving SG10 from the black hole planet would have 'definately' been suicide.

    I'd have given Cromwell better odds of retrieving Jack, they may still not have been odds he fancied but they'd have been better that retreiving SG10. As we only have Jack and Cromwell's word for what happened there...who the hell knows. Surely no Iraqi platoon could be deadlier than a black hole though.

  5. #185
    Captain
    Member Since
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Mapleleaf
    Posts
    1,297

    Default Re: A Matter of Time (216)

    I've always thought that they were both right--Jack because there was no way to retrieve SG10 as a practical matter and Frank because yes, they were leaving them behind in order not to lose any more people just to bring back the bodies. To me, that has always been where the power of that exchange comes from.

    Seaboe

  6. #186
    Chief Master Sergeant lookupwardsnshare's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    236

    Default Re: A Matter of Time (216)

    Just got done rewatching the ep with the fan commentary. It is really a good episode. Very character driven with a good storyline...a blackhole threatening earth and not the gou'ald, a nice change of pace.

    I think Jack deep down knows Cromwell did the right thing in Iraq (even before this blackhole situation and Cromwell's presence), but it is hard for him to admit it since all he had been thru there and probably felt guilty for have putting himself in that situation. It was probably easier for Jack to blame someone else in order to move on and continue within the military and maintain the intensity and confidence of his duties. Btw, great scenes between Jack and Cromwell.

    Thanks to David and Darren for doing a good job with the commentaries

  7. #187
    Lieutenant Colonel SF_and_Coffee's Avatar
    Member Since
    Feb 2011
    Location
    P2A-870, helping the Am Rhyddid
    Posts
    3,670

    Default Re: A Matter of Time (216)

    Quote Originally Posted by Matt G View Post
    Well retrieving SG10 from the black hole planet would have 'definately' been suicide.

    I'd have given Cromwell better odds of retrieving Jack, they may still not have been odds he fancied but they'd have been better that retreiving SG10. As we only have Jack and Cromwell's word for what happened there...who the hell knows. Surely no Iraqi platoon could be deadlier than a black hole though.
    Trust me, you can get just as dead by getting shot as you can by being sucked into a black hole. It just takes a lot longer by the black hole method. And you don't send live guys to retrieve a corpse. The way I read the dialogue, after losing Jack, Cromwell was left in charge of the rest of their team, and at that point his duty would have been to the living.

    If you're at all interested in one person's take (mine, in fact) on how that mission may have gone down, feel free to read this. I've fleshed out what imagine might have happened that could explain the whole situation. (Be forewarned: the linked scene does contain elements of violence and a bit of coarse language, all completely consistent with a ground battle.)

    Quote Originally Posted by lookupwardsnshare View Post
    Just got done rewatching the ep with the fan commentary. It is really a good episode. Very character driven with a good storyline...a blackhole threatening earth and not the gou'ald, a nice change of pace.

    I think Jack deep down knows Cromwell did the right thing in Iraq (even before this blackhole situation and Cromwell's presence), but it is hard for him to admit it since all he had been thru there and probably felt guilty for have putting himself in that situation. It was probably easier for Jack to blame someone else in order to move on and continue within the military and maintain the intensity and confidence of his duties. Btw, great scenes between Jack and Cromwell.

    Thanks to David and Darren for doing a good job with the commentaries
    I think you've hit the nail on the head, and I even have Jack allude to that in his own thinking in my fanfic.
    Last edited by SF_and_Coffee; October 3rd, 2011 at 07:32 PM. Reason: to consolidate two posts into one

    (Yes, I'm female. Okay?)
    Sum, ergo scribo...

    My own site ** FF.net * All That We Leave Behind * Symbiotica ** AO3

    now also appearing on DeviantArt
    Explore Colonel Frank Cromwell's odyssey after falling through the Stargate in Season Two's A Matter of Time, and follow Jack's search for him. Significant Tok'ra supporting characters and a human culture drawn from the annals of history. Book One of the series By Honor Bound.

  8. #188
    Lieutenant Colonel Matt G's Avatar
    Member Since
    May 2004
    Location
    Exeter, UK
    Posts
    3,102

    Default Re: A Matter of Time (216)

    Fair point - if Jack took a headshot then I wouldn't blame Cromwell for writing him off.

  9. #189
    Chief Master Sergeant
    Member Since
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Norway
    Posts
    154

    Default Re: A Matter of Time (216)

    Interesting episode with the whole Slo Mo problem.
    At least they've got some security now, hehe.
    The episode is very intense as well.

  10. #190
    Second Lieutenant Mrs. Rush's Avatar
    Member Since
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Midgard
    Posts
    457

    Default Re: A Matter of Time (216)

    I am just going through SG1 for the first time (how did I miss it for so long!!!?!?!?).
    I just finished up this episode and, it was a good one, but I kept thinking to myself...when they went to overpower the gate...

    They could not control what world the wormhole jumped too, how do they know it wouldn't of gone to an inhabited world?!?!
    I mean, save Earth and all, sure.....but for them being very protective of other cultures that was a big risk on the SGC’s part.

  11. #191
    Major General hlndncr's Avatar
    Member Since
    Dec 2009
    Location
    My own mad world...with a malfunctioning Stargate
    Posts
    13,499

    Default Re: A Matter of Time (216)

    Quote Originally Posted by Mrs. Rush View Post
    I am just going through SG1 for the first time (how did I miss it for so long!!!?!?!?).
    I just finished up this episode and, it was a good one, but I kept thinking to myself...when they went to overpower the gate...

    They could not control what world the wormhole jumped too, how do they know it wouldn't of gone to an inhabited world?!?!
    I mean, save Earth and all, sure.....but for them being very protective of other cultures that was a big risk on the SGC’s part.
    That's a good point. I honestly had never thought about where the wormhole went to. I wonder if they just failed to consider that as well in their desperation to save the planet.

  12. #192
    Lieutenant Colonel SF_and_Coffee's Avatar
    Member Since
    Feb 2011
    Location
    P2A-870, helping the Am Rhyddid
    Posts
    3,670

    Default Re: A Matter of Time (216)

    But the end of the wormhole that was connected to the black hole was the end that jumped to another planet. In other words, it didn't connect the black hole to another planet; rather, it disconnected from the black hole altogether and left the SGC's Stargate connected to the gate on the new planet, which we were told in the final scene was P2A-870. So P2A-870 was never in any danger, and in fact the only thing that ever confused me was why no one thought to gate there and check to make sure that nothing from the SGC had wound up there when the wormhole jumped.

    Of course, wondering that gave me an entire fanfic story... *points at signature*

    (Yes, I'm female. Okay?)
    Sum, ergo scribo...

    My own site ** FF.net * All That We Leave Behind * Symbiotica ** AO3

    now also appearing on DeviantArt
    Explore Colonel Frank Cromwell's odyssey after falling through the Stargate in Season Two's A Matter of Time, and follow Jack's search for him. Significant Tok'ra supporting characters and a human culture drawn from the annals of history. Book One of the series By Honor Bound.

  13. #193
    Major General hlndncr's Avatar
    Member Since
    Dec 2009
    Location
    My own mad world...with a malfunctioning Stargate
    Posts
    13,499

    Default Re: A Matter of Time (216)

    That's right. Because it was an outgoing wormhole, the destination end was what would jump not the origination end.

    Whew. I feel better. I usually don't care about plot holes if I enjoy the ep, but that would have been a big one. And that makes more sense in light of Exodus/Enemies where they were able to dial the blackhole planet in order to blow up the sun of Vorash.

  14. #194
    Second Lieutenant Mrs. Rush's Avatar
    Member Since
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Midgard
    Posts
    457

    Default Re: A Matter of Time (216)

    Quote Originally Posted by SF_and_Coffee View Post
    But the end of the wormhole that was connected to the black hole was the end that jumped to another planet. In other words, it didn't connect the black hole to another planet; rather, it disconnected from the black hole altogether and left the SGC's Stargate connected to the gate on the new planet, which we were told in the final scene was P2A-870. So P2A-870 was never in any danger, and in fact the only thing that ever confused me was why no one thought to gate there and check to make sure that nothing from the SGC had wound up there when the wormhole jumped.

    Of course, wondering that gave me an entire fanfic story... *points at signature*
    Mmmmm. I had not considered that. Good point. Thanks!

    Quote Originally Posted by hlndncr View Post
    That's right. Because it was an outgoing wormhole, the destination end was what would jump not the origination end.

    Whew. I feel better. I usually don't care about plot holes if I enjoy the ep, but that would have been a big one. And that makes more sense in light of Exodus/Enemies where they were able to dial the blackhole planet in order to blow up the sun of Vorash.
    me too. I guess it makes sense. Also because the whole time they were talking about how this should not be possible.

  15. #195
    Chief Master Sergeant Darian's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jun 2012
    Location
    South Africa
    Posts
    102

    Default Re: A Matter of Time (216)

    Cool episode the eventhorizing of the stargate is so cool
    http://forum.gateworld.net/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=53894&dateline=1341148295



    You got nothing on my smileys

  16. #196
    Lieutenant Colonel SF_and_Coffee's Avatar
    Member Since
    Feb 2011
    Location
    P2A-870, helping the Am Rhyddid
    Posts
    3,670

    Default Re: A Matter of Time (216)

    It's definitely one of my favorite episodes.

    (Yes, I'm female. Okay?)
    Sum, ergo scribo...

    My own site ** FF.net * All That We Leave Behind * Symbiotica ** AO3

    now also appearing on DeviantArt
    Explore Colonel Frank Cromwell's odyssey after falling through the Stargate in Season Two's A Matter of Time, and follow Jack's search for him. Significant Tok'ra supporting characters and a human culture drawn from the annals of history. Book One of the series By Honor Bound.

  17. #197
    Chief Master Sergeant Darian's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jun 2012
    Location
    South Africa
    Posts
    102

    Default Re: A Matter of Time (216)

    Yeah it is a great episode
    http://forum.gateworld.net/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=53894&dateline=1341148295



    You got nothing on my smileys

  18. #198
    Staff Sergeant
    Member Since
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Addled Ant Hill
    Posts
    94

    Default Re: A Matter of Time (216)

    Ok, so we've got more backstory for Jack, time dilations, suspense, all-hope-is-lost-we're-gonna-die, and Carter's technobabble?

    Awesome!

    Best moment:
    *Sam spouts off a ton of technobabble*
    *Jack nods*
    Col Cromwell: "Don't even pretend you understand that."
    "Y'know; Lose it. It means, go crazy. Nuts. Insane. Bonzo. No Longer in posession of one's faculties. Three fries short of a Happy Meal. WHACKO!!!!!"

    The perfect couple!

  19. #199
    Lieutenant Colonel SF_and_Coffee's Avatar
    Member Since
    Feb 2011
    Location
    P2A-870, helping the Am Rhyddid
    Posts
    3,670

    Default Re: A Matter of Time (216)

    I absolutely love that line of Cromwell's. Well, I always loved the Cromwell character anyway, and the idea of his history with Jack. I definitely thought he deserved better than what we were shown as his fate, and since the writers did kind of leave things open, I decided to explore that.

    (Yes, I'm female. Okay?)
    Sum, ergo scribo...

    My own site ** FF.net * All That We Leave Behind * Symbiotica ** AO3

    now also appearing on DeviantArt
    Explore Colonel Frank Cromwell's odyssey after falling through the Stargate in Season Two's A Matter of Time, and follow Jack's search for him. Significant Tok'ra supporting characters and a human culture drawn from the annals of history. Book One of the series By Honor Bound.

  20. #200
    Elim Garak Major Clanger's Avatar
    Member Since
    Apr 2004
    Location
    An AU, apparently
    Posts
    2,441

    Default Re: A Matter of Time (216)

    hmmm. Another meh ep.

    Interesting for the physics and a bit more knowledge about the gate and wormholes and black holes in general. I find it hard to believe that Jack doesn't have, apparently, even a rudimentary knowledge of what a wormhole is, given his interest in astrology (similarly, he shouldn't have look so baffled by the words shift and red in close proximity)
    In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is king


Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •