This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SPOILERS- Humans & Ancient tech

I'm a little curious... have they said what percentage of humans possess the gene that allows them to operate Ancient tech? Could someone run the numbers and calculate the odds of multiple Ancient-gene-possessing people working on the Stargate Project? It just feels like an awfully big coincidence. But then, I really suck at math. I'm numerically dyslexic.

As far as I know, I don't think there is a percentage, however it does say that only 1 in 16,000 people on Earth can operate the tech. I'm not that good at math to know the answer to that. But divide the population on Earth by 16,000 and you'll get the answer and then down to how many SGC/Atlantis people there are and you'll get the result
    __

__

Comment

I think that the percent is somewhere around 1 or lower. It can't be very high. Well Jack and Sheppard both have the gene, so that has to be a large coindindent.

Presumably, if the people living in the Peagus galaxy are descendants of the Ancients, then they would have to possess the gene.
      Dark Helmet: So, Lone Starr, now you see that evil will always triumph because good is dumb.
      Dark Helmet: No, it's not what you think. It's much, much worse!

Col. Sandurz: Prepare for light speed.
      Dark Helmet: No, no, light speed is too slow.
      Col. Sandurz: Light speed too slow?
      Dark Helmet: Yes, we'll have to go right to...Ludicrous speed!
      Col. Sandurz:Ludicrous speed! Sir, we've never gone that fast before. I don't think the ship can take it.
      Dark Helmet: What's the matter, Colonel Sandurz...CHICKEN?!

Comment

So, there are 6,000,000,000 / 16,000 = 375,000 people who can operate the Ancients' technologies on Earth

Comment

Originally posted by Aither
          So, there are 6,000,000,000 / 16,000 = 375,000 people who can operate the Ancients' technologies on Earth
          And of those 375,000 what are the odds that at least two or three of them would be working in the same place? And keep in mind the highly specialized nature of the work that would go on at SGC.

Comment

Well perhaps the gene also accounts for an above-average intelligence? If the SGC is employing the brightest of the bright, then the Ancient gene could give them a better chance of getting in.

I think though, that it would have to be a coincidence.
            Dark Helmet: So, Lone Starr, now you see that evil will always triumph because good is dumb.

Col. Sandurz:Ludicrous speed! Sir, we've never gone that fast before. I don't think the ship can take it.

Comment

One is coincidence, two is happenstance, three is plot device...
              The opinions of KorbenDirewolf do not necessrily represent the opinions of other male U.S. residents between the ages of 18 and 25.

Comment

Originally posted by SGSlugger
                Well perhaps the gene also accounts for an above-average intelligence?
                So explain O'Neill.

Sorry. I know he's smarter than he looks but there's no way you'll convince me he's "above average" unless you lower the standard for "above".

Comment

Originally posted by ShadowMaat
                  So explain O'Neill.

Sorry. I know he's smarter than he looks but there's no way you'll convince me he's "above average" unless you lower the standard for "above".
                  haha, some how I knew that you'd get me with that....
                  I dunno, just food for thought. Perhaps you need both parents to have the gene to be super-smart? Could explain Einstien.

Comment

If all the great thinkers in Earth history get their smarts from a wacky recessive alien gene, I'll probably vomit in pure disgust. I have this thing about alien intervention - or even ancient astronaut intervention - being responsible for everything.

Oh, and the percentage is 0.00625%, as not a single one of my Year 7s could tell you, but give me a week!
                    Behold the majesty that is...GERALD!
                    - Read The Prophet's fan fiction at The Lost Vegas Public Library.

Comment

I dunno. I'm a little open-minded to the alien intervention thing... so long as it's species-wide. If you boil it down to all the greatest minds in humanity having alien genes, that gets a bit vomit-inducing and sanctimonious.

Unless you play it for laughs like in Men in Black.

Comment

Sure, sure. Aliens made us; fine. Aliens are responsible for everything we achieve that was even vaguely worthwhile; that's my problem. It's the archaeologist in me.
                        Behold the majesty that is...GERALD!
                        - Read The Prophet's fan fiction at The Lost Vegas Public Library.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr Prophet
                          Sure, sure. Aliens made us; fine. Aliens are responsible for everything we achieve that was even vaguely worthwhile; that's my problem. It's the archaeologist in me.
                          Well, when you put it that way, you're right. It DOES sound annoying. I've read a few fiction books that touched on the idea without making it sound too pedantic about it. Of course, those authors also didn't tend towards the level of ostentation TPTB seem to favor.

Comment

So are you saying that you're upset that we are desendants from the Ancients?

I don't think that our great thinkers are the result of alien intervention, I was just throwing an idea out.

Comment

Only 325,000 people on Earth operating the tech is hardly any. And it's just a coincidence that O'Neill and Shepherd can both do it
                              __

__

Comment

Working...
                              X