This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Im just curious

Is it jus me but in scifi. why is it when a ship is badly damaged the lights go out but there is still enough power for artifcial gravity? Seems to me artifcial gravity would take up more power then the lights.
    Why is it every time I gate to P3X-797 my bags always end up on P3X-888.

Originally posted by Owen Macri
    You are right and you have a point, but if the artificial gravity went offline every time the lights went out, they would all die by the time they left dry dock, or the stargate equivilent. lol.

Owen Macri
    You beat me! I wanted to post that, only I wouldn't have answered as well as you did!

Reminds me of Wormhole Extreme, when one of TPTB asks Jack if you can shoot an alien if you're not weightless......at least, I think that's what he asks. LOL
    On fighting:
    Farrah: "A swordsman does not fear death, if he dies with honor."
    Dr. Who: "Then he's an idiot."

Comment

You would have posted it just as well as me, maybe better. You know what, I will delete my post so that you can post it!

Owen

Comment

Well let's try to explain that...

There's a seperate power system and circutry for the grav generators...

Yes...well....um...you try one ya git!

Quemadmoeum gladis nemeinum occidit, occidentis telum est - "A sword is never a killer, it's a tool in the killer's hands"
        - Lucius Annaeus Seneca (4BC-65AD)

Why it's a "magazine" and not a "clip".

Comment

You are right and you have a point, but if the artificial gravity went offline every time the lights went out, they would all die by the time they left dry dock, or the stargate equivilent. lol.
          It would make sense that the artificial gravity would have higher priority than the lights.

Comment

You are right, they could have the ship route power to artificial gravity automatically, of course if they had my redundant shields. lol. However, remember that episode of Voyager "Year of Hell" they were pretty much dead in space and the artificial gravity was still online.

However there are several other possibilities, perhaps the power source powers the generators directly, and also keeps a seprate, very large battery, charged, so when the other power source is compromised the battery will feed power to the gravity generators, until they can find a suitable replacement power source.

Owen Macri

Comment

because, special effects wise, it's tons cheaper to turn off lights or suggest that they're running out of air than it is to hook all the actors up to harnesses and swing them around the set to simulate a loss of gravity
              Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver
                because, special effects wise, it's tons cheaper to turn off lights or suggest that they're running out of air than it is to hook all the actors up to harnesses and swing them around the set to simulate a loss of gravity
                Yes and you must remeber its a T.V show and not real life although it seems like it is!

Comment

For the obvious reason. If the AG-fields went down they'd all die within the next millisecond, however one can live without life support systems and lights for a while

Comment

It's also possible that the gravity generators may have some sort of capacity to continue operating for a limited time even after the power has been cut off. Sort of the way a battery holds a charge, a gravity generator might be able to continue providing gravity until its charge has run out. Then, one would presume that you'd best have restored power by then, or you'll be floating around. It's a thought.

In realistic terms of course, your very likely right... but it's a TV show and floating cost money... lights out, don't. (or not as much... )

The success or failure of your deeds, does not add up to the sum of your life. Your spirit cannot be weighed! Judge yourself by the intentions of your actions, and by the strength with which you faced the challenges that have stood in your way. The Universe is so vast, and we are so small, there is only truly one thing we can control; whether we are good or evil... -Oma Desala
                    Spoiler:

To all the 'Sci & Tech' forum users: If you are searching for a thread about your topic of interest, please come visit our Concordance Thread. If you have any questions, we will attempt to help you.
                    http://forum.gateworld.net/showthread.php?t=26498

Feel free to pass the green..!

My Website... http://return-of-the-constitution.webs.com
                    My Blog @ http://myhatsize.blogspot.com
                    Amazing Literary Works of Fel... http://sennadar.com/wp/

Also, visit my webpage at... http://www.stargatesg1.com/Seastallion Sadly, this page is gone with the website that supported it, but I'll keep the link up in memorial.

Comment

the damage convinently misses that system, dodge targeting computers i guess

Help!
                      My emojournal

Comment

They wouldn't die, they would just float around a bit.

And yes, I think everyone realised that it was a matter of cost, but if we analysed the show like that, how much fun would we have?

In response to Seastallion, yes that is what I was going for in my last post in this thread.

Owen Macri

Comment

Okay a battery for the ag and none for the lights. These have to be the same people who built the chairs without seatbelts. I rather have lights then grav if the power goes you can still work in no grav.

Comment

It would be far easier to work in the dark with gravity and luminesent control panels. Without gravity generators, any bump would cause you to fly to one side, or rather, the ship would go to one side, and you wouldn't, then you would hit the side of the ship. Without gravity you would need some sort of magnetic boots, otherwise you would be floating all over the ship.

Owen Macri

Comment

Yah i know its what real astronaughts or trained for.

Comment

Working...
                              X