This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Feature Request, "New to Stargate" link on main page

A few months ago a friend of mine said that his uncle was telling him that Stargate: SG-1 was the best show on TV, and he decided to watch a few episodes. Knowing I was a fan, he came to me, and of course, I had a few recently-aired episodes on my DVR cable box. I fired one up, and I could tell he was instantly confused. I quickly realized that to get him up to speed on the Stargate universe would take about 30 minutes of explaining.
    On a related note, I recently caught a few episodes of Andromeda, but having missed most of the series, I found myself somewhat-lost with what was going on in the show.
    To remedy this, educating and perhaps "converting" a few non-fans, How about a "New To StarGate" link right on the front of the site. The majority of this site is for Stargate fans, but there doesn't seem to be any easily-accessable resources for the gate newbies out there. It could be a few paragraphs introducing the main characters (with pictures of course), maybe a paragraph or two per season, highlighting the more important plot developments and discoveries that occured each season. This would allow someone who has never seen Stargate before to understand what is happening when they start watching their first episode from the middle of the 6th season for example.
    Surely any visitor to this site, with a little time to spare, could write such a thing, allowing D&D can focus on more important stuff...

Just a thought...
    Let me know what you all think.
    -GuyFromOH
    I'm a guy, from Ohio.
    ------------------------------------
    Teal'c: "Chelnak!"
    Daniel: "Direct translation: Very
    cool!"

Sounds like a good idea to me, although it'd have to be updated periodically to keep up with the story.

I do have one unrelated question, though: how come you're making NEW threads for all these "feature requests" instead of posting them to the actual "feature requests" thread- which you ALSO started and which you know for a fact that Darren and David are reading? Isn't it easier to keep stuff like this all in one place rather than spreading it around?

Comment

Originally posted by ShadowMaat

I do have one unrelated question, though: how come you're making NEW threads for all these "feature requests" instead of posting them to the actual "feature requests" thread- which you ALSO started and which you know for a fact that Darren and David are reading? Isn't it easier to keep stuff like this all in one place rather than spreading it around?
      There is a Thread group for Feature Requests called "GateWorld Features". That is where D&D moved that other thread. It keeps threads from getting off-subject and keeps out posts that are not related to the request. Kinda like this one and the one right before it.
      -GuyFromOH
      I'm a guy, from Ohio.
      cool!"

Comment

Something like this?

http://www.gateworld.net/articles/fe...er/index.shtml

We're in the process of updating it for Season Eight and Atlantis, and will give it prominent placement in the weeks before and after the premieres! (Maybe we should give it year-round placement on the home page, too ...)
        GateWorld Podcast - Info - iTunes - Google
        The Stargate Omnipedia - www.StargateOmnipedia.com
        Stargate Image Gallery - www.StargateGallery.com

Comment

I totally love it!
          Amanda, "Wallow Central."

Comment

That's a good page. But I haven't seen the link to that page in the nav
            __

__

Comment

Looks good man
              -GuyFromOH
              I'm a guy, from Ohio.
              cool!"

Comment

Originally posted by Anubis
                That's a good page. But I haven't seen the link to that page in the nav
                Darren said they're still working on updating it, Nuby dear, then they'll link it in and maybe leave it in its "prominent" position.

Comment

Shadow, you're right. My guess is that the link will be added as soon as season eight airs so they can do their season eight section. Only a guess
                  __

__

Comment

I've been updating and rewriting. Hopefully it'll pop up on the home page in the next week or so, to give new viewers plenty of time to get warmed up before July 9.

It's currently archived in the Articles > Features section.
                    GateWorld Podcast - Info - iTunes - Google
                    The Stargate Omnipedia - www.StargateOmnipedia.com
                    Stargate Image Gallery - www.StargateGallery.com

Comment

Yes, i need some warming up
                      Amanda, "Wallow Central."

Comment

I've seen it linked to from somewhere recently, but it wasn't on the home page. Pretty good amount of info. Not too much and not too little.
                        The opinions of KorbenDirewolf do not necessrily represent the opinions of other male U.S. residents between the ages of 18 and 25.

Comment

Working...
                        X