Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Richard Dean Anderson and guns?

Question Richard Dean Anderson and guns?

I have read that RDA is on the board of directors for Handgun Control, Inc. I don't know if this is still the case, but it is cited that this is one of the reasons why MacGyver refused to use guns, and they developed a backstory about it.

Now, on Stargate SG-1, O'Neill clearly has no problem using guns to blow away alien baddies (among other things), but of course they have that storyline in there that Charlie died because he shot himself with Jack's gun. Was this influenced by RDA's ideas? Is there more to this? I'm just curious because O'Neill has no hesitation... blowing stuff up!

On RDANDERSON.COM, it even emphasizes:

"Richard Dean Anderson is probably best known as MacGyver, the clever and inventive nonviolent hero who solved problems in his own unique way for seven successful seasons on ABC."

To me he is better known as Jack O'Neill now, and so I wonder!!

Nox Envoy
    (Moderator)

Default Re: Richard Dean Anderson and guns?

I hope this doesn't fall under the Rule on GW about discussing the Actors' Personal life,Torley!

Have to say, I've read about RDA's personal aversion to guns too.

Other than that, I won't speculate on any relevant tie-ins with the Shows he's appeared in.

I always thought Jack's son's death and the reason for the tragedy was explained as part of the Movie,and was backstory for "SG-1".........
    Problems accessing the Omnipedia? Click here!
    The places to "Gate" to during Outages for updates and info :

Oh yeah I don't want to get into his personal life *that* way either Thanks for the caution... but I am curious if there was some backstory behind it. And I should make clear I am not involved with gun politics or any of that, and am just wondering because I like Richard Dean Anderson and because people do draw inspiration from life to put things into their stories. Kind of parallel to why other heroes like Batman don't like guns; there's a backstory. But clearly RDA must be comfortable with the fact that Stargate SG-1 is a fantasy.

(I haven't seen the Stargate movie, only SG-1. -- for some reason I don't think it would appeal to me)

Nox Envoy
    (Moderator)

No probs,IMO!
    You're right to make your parameters absolutely clear though!

I must admit,I rather liked the Movie,but I do prefer "SG-1".I like both Kurt Russell and RDA as Jack ,but they play him very differently,IMO!

Maybe RDA just liked the chance to play a character so different from "McGyver"? Then possibly added some "Modifications"?

Maybe SG-1/RDA fans here, who've seen lots of McGyver, could better answer,as I haven't seen too much of that Series,here in the UK?

Staff Sergeant

In the originating movie, the death of O'Neil's son was already established, as well as the method of that death.

So RDA had nothing whatsoever to do with Jack's character aspect in that his only son died to an accidental shooting. But no doubt that facet did appeal to RDA. Heck, in the movie, Jack snapped at Skarra when he reached for a gun, telling him that it was dangerous.

As I recall in MacGyver, the reason Mac attained an aversion to guns was because, as a kid, he watched (or was indirectly responsible for) the accidental shooting death of his best friend.

Nox Envoy
    (Moderator)

Thanks,RH!

I think that Macgyver is on the Gun Control Inc board, not RDA himself.
    Dark Helmet: So, Lone Starr, now you see that evil will always triumph because good is dumb.
    Dark Helmet: No, it's not what you think. It's much, much worse!

Col. Sandurz: Prepare for light speed.
    Dark Helmet: No, no, light speed is too slow.
    Col. Sandurz: Light speed too slow?
    Dark Helmet: Yes, we'll have to go right to...Ludicrous speed!
    Col. Sandurz:Ludicrous speed! Sir, we've never gone that fast before. I don't think the ship can take it.
    Dark Helmet: What's the matter, Colonel Sandurz...CHICKEN?!

Re: Richard Dean Anderson and guns?

A-Team also was against guns as I recall...every time some poor interviewer tried to ask Mr.T about it he'd start yelling about how he was thanking god and jesus and all the hoppy bunny rabbits blah blah blah...This is amazingly off-topic but has anybody heard his howard stern interview? The poor man almost got one "helluva whuppin!"

Chief Master Sergeant GuyFromOH's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SGSlugger
    I think that Macgyver is on the Gun Control Inc board, not RDA himself.
    No, it's Richard Dean Anderson

For this and more on Richard Dean Anderson, or any other actor in any other production, please see http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0000760/bio

This is from http://www.rdanderson.com/ :

Richard actively supports many charities and organizations. For many years he has been on the Board of Trustees for the Challengers Boys and Girls Club, a youth organization founded in 1968 with the help of MacGyver executive producer Stephen Downing, and upon which the Challenger Center of the TV series was based. He is the recipient of the 1995 Celebrity Award from the Make-A-Wish Foundation, and his commitment to the Foundation, an organization that grants wishes to terminally ill children, has included many opportunities for his young fans to visit the set. He has supported the Multiple Sclerosis Society, and has done several public service announcements for causes he strongly supports, including the Center for the Prevention of Handgun Violence, and Project Literacy US. For many years he has given his support to the Special Olympics, and was one of the key speakers at the opening ceremonies for the Special Olympics games in 1991. In recent years, Richard's focus has been particularly drawn to environmental issues. He has been named to the board of directors of the Sea Shepherd Conservation Society, and he has partnered with members of Earth River Expeditions to produce the "River Project," a series of documentaries about the great rivers of the world.

Mullet:
    -GuyFromOH
    I'm a guy, from Ohio.
    ------------------------------------
    Teal'c: "Chelnak!"
    Daniel: "Direct translation: Very
    cool!"

Yes, Macgyver watched a friend die after being accidentally shot. Was RDA a producer on Macgyver? I don't recall. If not, (and maybe even if he was) I think Macgyver's aversion to guns had less to do with the actors feelings and more to do with the whole image of Macgyver being a different type of action hero. One who uses his brain first, and who isn't so super macho that he never gets hurt (remember him always saying "ouch" and shaking his hand after he punched someone?).

Quote Originally Posted by GuyFromOH
    He has supported the Multiple Sclerosis Society, and has done several public service announcements for causes he strongly supports, including the Center for the Prevention of Handgun Violence, and Project Literacy US.
    Center for the Prevention of Handgun Violence is something COMPLETELY different from a gun control board. He supports it, is not on it. Reading this it sounds like he wants to inform people on how to prevent gun violence, not surpress all firearms like most gun control groups.
    Dark Helmet: So, Lone Starr, now you see that evil will always triumph because good is dumb.
    Dark Helmet: No, it's not what you think. It's much, much worse!

Col. Sandurz: Prepare for light speed.
    Dark Helmet: No, no, light speed is too slow.
    Col. Sandurz: Light speed too slow?
    Dark Helmet: Yes, we'll have to go right to...Ludicrous speed!
    Col. Sandurz:Ludicrous speed! Sir, we've never gone that fast before. I don't think the ship can take it.
    Dark Helmet: What's the matter, Colonel Sandurz...CHICKEN?!

RDA was not a producer on MacGyver, but Michael Greenburg was. Neither of them was the creator of the series, however.

Theoretically speaking, O'Neill is against handgun violence (a la his son) and technically, military gun use does not fall under the umbrella of "handgun violence", which is generally a crime committed using a gun. AT has said before that she hates guns, but the use of a gun is central to her (and RDA's) character. On the other hand, there have been several jokes about how RDA loves to shoot in SG-1, so I think he's just trying to make up for all the non-shooting he did in MacGyver.
    Urgo: I wanna live, I wanna experience the universe and I wanna eat pie!
    O'Neill: Who doesn't?
    - Urgo, Stargate: SG-1, Episode 3.16

"Let's be real here. It should be fun. We're not saving lives, we're entertaining them."
    - RDA, Stargate SG-1: The Lowdown

some assembly required, batteries not included, action figures sold seperately
    once done, cannot be undone...
    brought to you by Anthro Girl, Grand Pooh-Bah of the SFA

Chief Master Sergeant

Hey, I'm against gun violence, too, but sure had a blast qualifying with an M60 when I was in the army =) Blowing stuff up is fun. This is coming from someone who won't even squish a spider much less consider hurting a human being. You can have fun shooting blanks or at targets and still object to violence.

I would assume RDA chalks it up to playing a part.

I agree it's playing a part. Actors pretend to be people who's characters and actions are completely against their own.

Re: Richard Dean Anderson and guns?

I remember hearing that about RDA before there was a SG-1, it really made me lose respect for the man and I really didn't like him as an actor after that, but he has grown on me now as a huge Stargate fan.
    -EARCK

"You ended that sentence in a preposition, *******!"
    -Jack O'Niell

Lieutenant Colonel Elwe Singollo's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by earck
    I remember hearing that about RDA before there was a SG-1, it really made me lose respect for the man and I really didn't like him as an actor after that, but he has grown on me now as a huge Stargate fan.
    What did he say that made you dislike him?

It was lightly mentioned earlier and I agree. The reason RDA didn't have a problem with guns and SG1 is because O'neal is Military. No one suggests gun control for the military. That would just be stupid. So in a sense he is not going against his original beliefs.

O, i kind of understand now... But i'm still unclear about why the person said he originally didn'y like RDA for something he said...

Quote Originally Posted by Talenhawk
    It was lightly mentioned earlier and I agree. The reason RDA didn't have a problem with guns and SG1 is because O'neal is Military. No one suggests gun control for the military. That would just be stupid. So in a sense he is not going against his original beliefs.
    I don't see why it would make a difference whether Jack was military. When someone plays a murderer, are they going against their belief that killing is wrong? If you only play people who share your beliefs, that limits the characters you can play.

Yah, and that can make an actor easily typecasted, which usually isn't good.