This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

jacks "ZPM" gould tech

This may have been covered in another thread if so i couldnt find it and im sorry for repeating it. but..

Carter says in one of the episodes that naquadriah is the missing link they/ve been looking for as it produces the energy levels she thinks are neccesary for hyperspace travel and stable shields, however we never have any indication the gould use naquadriah (other than the first one that invented it) this is further highlighted by the fact anubis goes to jonas's planet to find it. so the gould still use normal naquadah for shields and hyperdrives. jacks "zpm" power generator thing uses the liquid naqaudah from a staff to power a wormhole to another galaxy could this be the same tech the gould use to power shields and hyperdrive with normal naquadah. we know the gould have stolen ancient tech so both they and jac have the same starting point. just my theory any ideas are welcomed
    the very young do not always do as they are told...

you blow up one star and suddenly everyone expects you to be able to walk on water... next parting the red sea

just to note Jack's deivce was in no way, shape, form or concept a ZPM.

As to the naquadriah thing. No the gao'uld dn't use it but also they don't have hyperdrives for craft smaller than a scoutship.
    sigpic
    Banner By JME2

Comment

true but their scout and cargo ships are quite small. Prometheus is much larger than either of these but it still uses an unstable naquadriah engine rather than a naquadah one.

Comment

I would assume that the Goa'uld hyperspace technology is much more advanced than ours and we're unable to replicate it. That's why we need the higher energy output of the Naquadria to make up for the gap. Basically 'over-engineering' the problem.

Comment

I agree with the previous posts, allthough I don't believe that the Prometheus would be able to use Naquadria, I know that they might have said it in the show but in real life, an unstable element like Naquadria, would be unstable in any application, therfore it wouldn't be able to power anything, just blow it up.

"The O'Neill Device," as I have christend it (not to be confused with "The O'Neill Weapon") is not a ZPM, and doesn't even use Zero Point Energy. It uses simple liquid naquadah as a power source, normally this wouldn't be powerful enough to create the energy output that it does, but the liquid naquadah is also surrounded by a modulated dampening field which increases the potential yield of the naquadah, this simply makes it a really advanced naquadah reactor.

Owen Macri

Comment

Originally posted by Owen Macri
            I agree with the previous posts, allthough I don't believe that the Prometheus would be able to use Naquadria, I know that they might have said it in the show but in real life, an unstable element like Naquadria, would be unstable in any application, therfore it wouldn't be able to power anything, just blow it up.

Owen Macri
            Carter said that Naquadria becomes exponentially unstable when you try to take more power from it. I think that earth spent a lot of time thinking of a safeguard for the naquadria-drive. We know that they failed at first(The X-302), but eventually they got it working for our prommie. And it does give out tons of power.

As for the Goa'uld, http://www.gateworld.net/sg1/s6/601.shtml#notes . The Goa'uld have non naquadria-drives, but they are huge, too large for the 302.
            JACKSON: ...I mean isn't that why we're doing this, all of this? The Stargate program, the budget? Isn't it so we can go and meet new races, gather advanced technology and possibly learn about ourselves in the process?
            VALA: Oh, come on! you do it to meet women.
            MITCHELL: She has a point, sir.
            LANDRY
            : I've been thinking I need to get out on an offworld mission or two.
            Get FireFox! Browse with Tabs!
            Stargate Omega, Now a vBulletin!
            Mmm... Green...

Comment

Oh, ok, I got the impression that it was an unstable element alltogether, sorry about that.

Owen Macri

Comment

O'Neill's Ancient power booster manages to boost the yield of SGC's power system and is designed to work in conjuction with a computer program (or so i think, it's been a while since i saw it last). I think that the small vial of naquadah is merely to power the booster, not provide the base for the enormous power requirement. And it's constructed as a jury rig for the Gate from 'primitive' parts. Not bad engineering, kinda like McGuvyer if he was an Ancient

I believe that we can (and have) replicate the Goa'uld hyperdrive, it just took longer because Earth didn't get its hands on a Goa'uld ship bigger than a glider until the end of Season 4 and we only had that one briefly. We've had plenty of time to study the hyperdrive on the cargo ship acquired in late Season 5 and i believe that our hyperdrive suffers because it is ripped from the Goa'uld version.

The Goa'uld didn't have a way to extract more power in the fashion that the Ancient power booster does, and thus the size of their hyperdrive and its specific power generator unit was too big to fit on anything smaller than a cargo ship. I also have a longish theory related to the Goa'uld and their ships, but in summary i think improvements in design let Sokar do more with his power output (e.g. fly much faster in hyperspace, have a cloaking option, etc) and Anubis improved again allowing him to have stronger shields (in addition to their increased effectiveness, which is a separate matter) and better weapons.

But back to Earth, they struggled for a while cause they had this Goa'uld style 'small' hyperdrive whose power generator was too big to fit on a fighter. So they went for a generator with a bigger yield in naquadria with less than great results. The Prometheus problem was similar ; a naquadria generator could do the job (probably cause Prommie's design doesn't accomodate a naquadah reactor big enough to power a 'small' hyperdrive) but managing to regulate its output safely was a major tech challenge that proved unfeasible in the field. Finally, they turned to the Goa'uld again for the answer : taking a 'medium' hyperdrive straight off an Al'kesh and onto Prommie. Though more powerful, that hyperdrive was still too small for a ship Prommie's size, so they pushed it to the max for a certain period then let it 'cool down' before starting up again.

Spoiler:
                and now they've cut straight through the mucking around and simply asked the Asgard to give them a hyperdrive. Much more sensible

Comment

I apoligize YodaMate, I do not have time to read your entire post, so I will come back later and read the rest, however about "The O'Neill Device." It did not boost the power of the SGC, the two vials of liquid naquadah gave the SGC more power so the gate could make an eight chevron lock. It worked like this, normally two vials of liquid naquadah aren't that powerful, they only power a staff weapon, however the device created a modulated dampening field around the vials of naquadah increasing thier potential power yield, then the energy was simply routed into the SGCs power grid straight from the device. It was not meant to be used in conjunction with a computer program. The way I see it it is a very advanced naquadah reactor.

Hope I could help, and I will get to the rest of your post in a little while.

Owen Macri

Comment

NOTE: In response to YodaMates' post imediatly preceding my previous one.

That was a good post, have some positive reputation! I agree with you, trying to steal technology from the Goa'uld to try and build thier hyperdrives was stupid, The Goa'uld are pretty much at a standstill with thier technology, and the Goa'uld Hyperspace Window Generator is an incredibly crude design, as hyperdrives go. It was much smarter to just to
                    Spoiler:
                    ask the asgard for one
                    Also why are we putting this in spoiler tags, it isn't THAT big ofa spoiler.

Owen Macri

Comment

Ah, thanks for clearing up Jack's thing. So the computer program was merely an 8th Chevron dialling program and not designed to help regulate the extra power into the Gate ?

As for the spoiler tags, just playing it safe. I'm not really sure of the rules in Science and Tech and i hate spoiling other people by accident almost as much as i hate been spoiled myself.

And thanks for the reputation ! Not really sure how that works either

Comment

If you are reffering to the program Jack input into the computer in machine code, it was not even an eight chevron dialing program, it was simply a new formula to calculate the stellar drift, as to find the location of new gates faster, he also input new stargate adresses that had not even been visited be the Goa'uld, or at least put onto Ras' cartouche.

I agree I wouldn't feel very good if I accidentally ruined something for someone.

No problem for the reputation, it was a worthy post, if you are not sure about how the repuation works check the FAQ section, it does not explain it thier feel free to private message me and I will be happy to explain the repuation system in detail. Unless it was something else that you "aren't sure how it works" and I have misunderstood.

Owen Macri

Comment

it was not even an eight chevron dialing program, it was simply a new formula to calculate the stellar drift, as to find the location of new gates faster,
                          I would think that the new program that Jack wrote added the ability to dial 8 chevrons. The gate works on a electrical impulses and certainly a new combination would be needed in order to tell the gate to dial outside our galaxy. Plus they also need to download it to a hardrive to dial Ida in Point of View.
                          Condemnant quod non intellegunt.

Comment

I believe only a slight modification to the dialing program currently in use would be necesary, simply another slot for another symbol would be needed, it appeared, and then the electrical impluses would be sent to the gate, when the gate realises that it has enough power at its' disposable it makes the eight chevron lock and completes the dialing procedure. All that would be needed is for more, or as you said, another combination of electrical signals to dial another chevron.

My reasoning is that, when there is damage to a DHD or one is nonexistent, the team dials out manualy simply locking in each chevron as they go, even without the information stored in the DHD, from the coorelative update the gate can still make a seven chevron lock, so presumably it is the same with eight chevrons, if the gate knows what to do with seven it should know what to do with eight.

See season one episode "The Torment of Tantalus" and also the episode "Prisoners" of season two.

Owen Macri

Comment

In Point of View when they replicate the dialling Asgard homeworld feat, they download something to a hard drive and take it with them on the mission to plug into the other SGC. It's probably Jack's patch to dial 8 chevrons.

Why use Jack's, you ask ? Cause that Ancient programming is oh so fine

Comment

Working...
                              X