No announcement yet.

Thor's Chariot (206)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Couldn't believe that I have never actually seen this ep. So I was really pleased to spot Pi. (not so pleased that Mr.MC has resumed calling me Mrs Geek)

I really wish that we'd had a lot more Heru'ur. He was a real fighty type, not too hung up (from what I saw here) on all the gold lamé trappings of Goa'uld life, but a fighting type.

Loved Thor, totally cool and his ship is awesome.
    In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is king

sigpic

Comment

Two continuity errors to begin with...

A) when first SG1 arrived on this planet during Thor's Hammer the gate was in the middle of grassy plane. Not even close to any trees.

B) didn't Daniel hand the box over to Garwin at the end of Thor's Hammer, so why would Garwin state that Kendra told her of the box and throw it into the wormhole when she was the one it had been given to in the first place

... // ...

Anyhow, love this episode... I can overlook the errors but it does bother me somewhat.

My favorite Jaffa helmets -- the horus guards.

And we finally get to meet the real Thor! Yay!
      The look of Thor's chariot is pretty amazing too, just like in the myths.
      Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum

Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 10 of SG-1

Comment

Originally posted by Falcon Horus View Post

B) didn't Daniel hand the box over to Garwin at the end of Thor's Hammer, so why would Garwin state that Kendra told her of the box and throw it into the wormhole when she was the one it had been given to in the first place
        No, he gave it to Kendra because Garwin wasn't there at the end of Thor's Hammer. Only Kendra.

Seaboe
        If you're going to allow yourself to be offended by a cat, you might as well just pack it in -- Steven Brust

Comment

Mmm... wasn't paying close attention then.
          Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum

Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 10 of SG-1

Comment

This is one of the outstanding episodes of the 2nd season and one of the most brilliant episodes of the whole series. Truth be told, when I first watched this episode, I did expect them to find some kind of weaponry or ships hidden away for immediate defence of the planet. Imagine a shocker when there's first direct contact with Asgard, one of the four big players of the days past. And what their true form proved to be. Completely alien, but very familiar alien at the same time. And a mysterious, yet good ally to Earth to be explored a lot in the rest of the series.

The plot is brilliantly written, the acting is shining. Horus' facial expression (when he witnesses his guards insolently slaughtered and when Teal'C blows up the staff weapon he wanted to pick up) is worth an Oscar in its own. Her'ur is apparently one of those Goa'uld who do believe into their own godhood hype. And actor really did his job there.

A nice drip of humorous scenes here as well:

"Nice pedigree..."

or

"We must fight!

Yeah, yeah..."

*O'Neill drags Olaf away*

or

"Things will not calm down. Things will actually calm up."

The ending scene with Thor owning Her'ur's forces is the coolest in the episode. It's intriguing question however where did Beliskner beam those Jaffa, camp and pyramids to. These weren't weapons, these were Asgard transport beams. Did they shove them all up the local sun or just threw them out into some deep cold space or what?

The only thing that keeps nagging at me is that seeing what happened on Cimmeria through the StarGate, and hearing that Goa'Uld are there, they go in solo, 3 humans with light SMG's and one Jaffa with a staff. More logical would be to send a whole damn battalion in, with heavy weaponry. This is one of the cases where the enemy is well known and their power is nicely anticipated. The only way I'm going to buy that solo trip would be if we'll assume that SG-1 was supposed to do a recon trip before radioing in for major fighting force.

However, the major factual error that deduces a ranking point from this episode, is their math lessons. Pi is circumference/two radii ratio or circumference/diameter ratio. Sam says that Pi is circumference/radius ratio (which is darn wrong), Daniel promptly draws a radius and here's the magic button... The fact that Thor bought wrong answer drops Asgard's image and reputation below the floorboards in a blink.

Oh, and in Russian dub Thor sounds much less than a computer. Watching series in English reveals whole new horizons, you see.

Homo sum et nihil humani a me alienum puto, sic quod feci quod potui et sic potui, faciant meliora potentes. (c)

sigpic

Comment

I loved this episode, the very cool reveal of the Beliskner sort of made my heart warm, as it beamed all the ships and people away, i to wonder what happened to them all, i am supposing they would have destroyed the ships and maybe kept the people and taken them somewhere else. I would give this 9/10
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Falcon Horus View Post

A) when first SG1 arrived on this planet during Thor's Hammer the gate was in the middle of grassy plane. Not even close to any trees.

... // ...

Anyhow, love this episode... I can overlook the errors but it does bother me somewhat.

My favorite Jaffa helmets -- the horus guards.

And we finally get to meet the real Thor! Yay!
                The look of Thor's chariot is pretty amazing too, just like in the myths.
                Daniel gave it to Kendra, who then gave it later to Gairwyn:

DANIEL: "You said Kendra knew we'd come. How?"

GAIRWYN: "She gave me a box. She told me to fly it through the portal. She said you'd know what it meant. The cost of sending it was great."
                We don't know when Kendra gave the box to Gairwyn, but in my opinion, when Cimmeria was attacked she might have given it to Gairwyn as a precaution in case she (Kendra) herself was killed.

Comment

I really like this episode but after re-watching Thor's Hammer this episode has some major flaws and a lot of unanswered questions.

Like, as stated the only part of the hammer that was destroyed was the Goa'uld scrubber at the exit, everything else should be still intact; so did they just not seal up the cave as SG1 advised? Any Goa'uld coming through the Stargate should still be stuck in a sealed cave with their technology disabled as that was a function of the front beam.

Also how did Thor's hammer ever stop Goa'uld ships? If it didn't the hammer was always useless as they could have come by ship at any point. If it did stop ships that part should also be still intact and the ships dealt with.

On top of those, even if the Goa'uld heard the hammer was now inoperable, why would the come to the planet anyway... did they just forget about the Asgard? it's the treaty and the threat of the Asgard not the hammer that was the real hindrance so at the end when they are being beamed away like idiots they didn't foresee that was the only outcome? in retrospect the episode is a little silly.

Comment

Yeah those are some good points.

Comment

Originally posted by willprot View Post
                      Like, as stated the only part of the hammer that was destroyed was the Goa'uld scrubber at the exit, everything else should be still intact; so did they just not seal up the cave as SG1 advised? Any Goa'uld coming through the Stargate should still be stuck in a sealed cave with their technology disabled as that was a function of the front beam.
                      We don't know that they didn't seal the cave. Thor's Hammer showed that the beam took a little while to work. If you had quite a few goa'uld and jaffa, then once the first few disappeared, the others could blast the pillar and destroy the beam (the broken pillar was shown when the team came through the gate).

Also how did Thor's hammer ever stop Goa'uld ships?
                      There's no indication that it ever stopped ships. I believe the Asgard depended upon the fact that any goa'uld who went through the gate simply disappeared to discourage the others from trying to reach the planet by ship.

On top of those, even if the Goa'uld heard the hammer was now inoperable, why would the come to the planet anyway... did they just forget about the Asgard? it's the treaty and the threat of the Asgard not the hammer that was the real hindrance so at the end when they are being beamed away like idiots they didn't foresee that was the only outcome? in retrospect the episode is a little silly.
                      I don't think it's as silly as you do. I believe that once the pillar at the gate was destroyed, the goa'uld figured they could take over and establish control fast enough that the Asgard wouldn't find out until it was too late. I also have the impression that this type of challenge happened frequently. The goa'uld are not a society that cooperates well. Any one of them might decide to defy the treaty.

Seaboe
                      If you're going to allow yourself to be offended by a cat, you might as well just pack it in -- Steven Brust

Comment

On the ship aspect. Perhaps they felt that goig by ship would give the asgard time to react to their incursion..?

Comment

Originally posted by Seaboe Muffinchucker View Post
                          We don't know that they didn't seal the cave. Thor's Hammer showed that the beam took a little while to work. If you had quite a few goa'uld and jaffa, then once the first few disappeared, the others could blast the pillar and destroy the beam (the broken pillar was shown when the team came through the gate).

There's no indication that it ever stopped ships. I believe the Asgard depended upon the fact that any goa'uld who went through the gate simply disappeared to discourage the others from trying to reach the planet by ship.

I don't think it's as silly as you do. I believe that once the pillar at the gate was destroyed, the goa'uld figured they could take over and establish control fast enough that the Asgard wouldn't find out until it was too late. I also have the impression that this type of challenge happened frequently. The goa'uld are not a society that cooperates well. Any one of them might decide to defy the treaty.

Seaboe
                          It is explicitly stated by Daniel at the beginning of the episode "For a thousand years Cimmeria was safe from Goa'uld attack and we show up and screw up Thor's technology" to which Teal'c replies "Daniel Jackson is correct, the Goa'uld send scouts and if none of them report back it is a deterrent to evasion."

If we take all your responses to be fact, that makes the episode even worse, for the first if they could just send droves of Jaffa then the beam NEVER worked, they could have always done that, yet it never happened in 1000 years.

Also I know there is no indication ships were stopped and my point is if they could always send ships then the beam never protected the planet and as such was useless anyway.... but again if they did seal the cave as you put in your first point... it was still sending Jaffa to a sealed cave, the Jaffa would not have returned and as such the would have still been deterred from coming to the planet and never would have.

And clearly as the Asgard did in fact save the day it was silly to ignore that as the most likely outcome of attacking a protected planet.

That said, the beam regardless of how long it took to work was effective for at least 1000 years, as such sealing the cave as stated should have negated this episode completely; The whole point of this episode is that SG-1 is responsible for the attacks... that is stated specifically multiple times. From your responses as well as the episodes they were never responsible and this should have either happened long ago or never, but NOT 'because SG-1 destroyed the exit beam', that is completely irreverent yet was the basis of the episode.

Comment

Are you arguing with me over an opinion? I stated that I don't think it's as silly as you do, and I don't.

You're entitled to your opinion. I don't share it. That's no reason to attack my opinions as it feels you're doing in your response.

Seaboe

Comment

Hmmm I don't see a attack in anything he said. Unless I missed something he just gave a reason why he disagrees with you and gave some examples. That's the point of thread right? Say your thoughts and all that jazz.

Comment

I was watching this episode again and I just burst out laughing when Teal'c and O'Neill ambushed the jaffa with C4. All the jaffa are doing bloody front flips.

sigpic
                                Stargate spin off series: Stargate Millennium
                                https://www.fanfiction.net/u/5580179/StargateMillennium

Comment

Working...
                                X