Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Sensory Experience of the Wormhole (spoilers through S5)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Sensory Experience of the Wormhole (spoilers through S5)

While lying in bed last night, I nerdily began thinking about the sensory experience of the wormhole -- i.e. the fact that you can see the wormhole and parts of space, and have some sensation of movement, while you are going through a wormhole.

In '48 Hours' and other episodes, Sam explains how the wormhole works to transport objects/people. A person's matter is turned into energy by the event horizon, then transmitted as energy through the wormhole, then reintegrated into matter at the other stargate event horizon.

So if this is true, a person is merely energy while actually IN the wormhole, and does not have any sensory faculties -- no eyes, ears, etc. How then can a person consciously experience wormhole travel?

My husband and I came up with two explanations:

1. People don't *actually* experience the wormhole, and it's simply a special effect for the benefit of viewers. However, this seems suspicious as I could swear that the sensory experience of the wormhole has at least been mentioned, if not described.

2. *metaphysical alert* A person's body does not experience the wormhole, but his soul does. This assumes that a soul's natural state is as energy, and that the soul is capable of sensory experience (think out of body experiences, etc). This could be linked to ascended Ancients, who also exist as energy, but appear to have sensory experiences in their energetic forms.

Thoughts?

from what i know about it when u go through a worm hole all the molecules in your body are demelecularised and then transported hundreds of light yeard through sum space may be the feeling that is being describes#d is the disintergration anr remelecularisation of stargate travel who knows ???
    "only two things are infinate the universe and human stupidity and im not sure about the universe"

-albert einstein

Comment

from what i know about it when u go through a worm hole all the molecules in your body are demelecularised and then transported hundreds of light yeard through sub space may be the feeling that is being describes#d is the disintergration and remelecularisation of stargate travel who knows ???
      "only two things are infinate the universe and human stupidity and im not sure about the universe"

-albert einstein

Comment

That would definitely explain the sensation, and sounds very reasonable to me, however, it still doesn't explain how people can SEE the wormhole, space, stars etc.

Comment

Eh, they probably dont. Its just a special effect for teh viewers, but the SGC can track where an object is going, and probably its exact course through the wormhole, so the effect might exist, but no one's seen it. Who knows?
          JACKSON: ...I mean isn't that why we're doing this, all of this? The Stargate program, the budget? Isn't it so we can go and meet new races, gather advanced technology and possibly learn about ourselves in the process?
          VALA: Oh, come on! you do it to meet women.
          MITCHELL: She has a point, sir.
          LANDRY
          : I've been thinking I need to get out on an offworld mission or two.
          Get FireFox! Browse with Tabs!
          Stargate Omega, Now a vBulletin!
          Mmm... Green...

Comment

I am of the opinion that it's just a special effect. There's a few eps where O'neill goes through the gate and he either demolecularizes and then pops out in one piece on the other side or just goes from one side to the other with no time in between as the camera pans around the gate. If I were going through a wormhole, I doubt I'd want to be aware of it. Such a vision would probably scare someone to death if they actually experienced it.

Comment

Stargate, as a show, has really tried to avoid any kind of discrimination of a certain religious ideas or philosophies in one way or another. Assuming that the soul sees it is nice, but then it is a biased view assuming that now everyone has a soul, when some people who watch the show may not believe a soul exists. I am not arguing whether ot not it exists, but simply the fact that SG has tried to keep controversy down. Look at the number of religions they have portrayed and not offended. They would certainly not want to support any singlular view one way or the other regarding a soul I'm sure. The sight is probably for our viewing pleasure, and besides, they did it in the movie... It's tradition... They didn't come up with the actual explanation of how the SG really works til the series...

Comment

I believe that there must be some sort of feeling when part of your body actually touches the event horizen, but as far as stepping through, it must just be like walking through a very thin wave of energy. You walk in and out within the time it takes for you to normally take a step. You have no knowledge of the several seconds between your molecules going through the wormhole. The graphics of the wormholes just make good TV, but I do wonder what people's eyes see when they step through. It must be weird to appear in a completely different place by just taking a single step

- "I ask you. What could possibly be in my eye that would explain this?"
                - "Lose it…it meant go crazy, nuts, insane, bonzo, no longer in possession of one’s faculties, three fries short of a happy meal….WACKO!"
                - "I'm taking this loop off..."
                - "Did they try the doughnuts? You made sure they were krispy kremes right?"
                - "Carter, all I heard was matrix, and I found those films quite confusing."
                - "I played Def Jam Vendetta."

Comment

the effect shown inside the stargate is in fact only for the viewers, it is cool, and yes it is tradition, i don't think that roland emerich spent a lot of time trying to figure out how the gate actualy works, he just wanted to make the movie, as for the soul idea, it is definetly not possible, if the soul was released from the body during transport it must exist as some kind of energy, like the ancients. when one goes through the stargate, at the event horizon they are de materialized not demolecularized, (demolecularized suggests all of your mollecules are taken apart, transport hundreds of thousands of lightyears and put back together, this is not the case) your body infact is converted into energy, then is reconverted into matter at the recieving gate, any energy traveling through the gate(eg a staff blast), will simply pass directly through the event horizon and travel through the wormhole as itself having no need to be dematerialized. when your body is converted into energy it is coverted into a certain amount, and that exact amount alone is what is needed to rematerialize you, any extra energy (eg. the staff blast) would simply be released through the gate, so your soul would have to reconnect with your body after rematerializing, this suggests that skill is required to travel through the stargate. there is the possiblitiy that the ancients put a safeguard on, that would automatically put your soul into your body, this i highly doubt because this implies that hte gate would have to be incredibly more complicated than anyone expected, it is also doubtful that any sensors would be able to detect the diffrence between your soul and a staff blast. there is also another reason, as far as they know on the show, the gate dematerializes you, and rematerializes you, there is nothing about a soul, so the first time they went through the gate, someone would have mentioned in a report that they saw the inside of the wormhole, then some scientist would have come across it and realized that it was impossible, if this didnt happen than carter deffinetly would have realized on her first trip through, but she didn't because they never mentioned that and that is a pretty big point to leave out. as for the sensory effects, that was only in the movie and first couple episodes, even in later episodes with people who have never traveled through the gate, they didnt feel anything, but as for the movie and first couple episodes, that was said to be as a result of the compresion that your molecules undergo in the instantaneous amount of time at the point of rematerialization, therfore your sould would deffinetly not see the inside of the worhole it is just for the effect. hoped that i could be some help.

Owen Macri

Comment

On top of that, if your soul could see, you wouldn't need eyes.

Comment

Sounds like the 'visual effect' explanation is the most likely. Thanks for your input everyone.

Comment

No, thank you for starting this thread, look how much i got to type! (I like hearing myself talk/type) Your assumptions, wern't bad, they were just incorrect, there is nothing wrong with incorrect, to get to correct you have to first realise that you are incorrect.

Owen Macri

Comment

fewh. I feel the 'visual effect' would be stupid. There no point putting something there that is in no way related to the reality of the show. I would theorise it not what you see when you go through the wormhole but the last thing you see as the event horizon zapps you out of exsistance and the first thing you seee as you pass through the event horizon on the otherside.
                          sigpic
                          Banner By JME2

Comment

Originally posted by Crazedwraith
                            fewh. I feel the 'visual effect' would be stupid. There no point putting something there that is in no way related to the reality of the show. I would theorise it not what you see when you go through the wormhole but the last thing you see as the event horizon zapps you out of exsistance and the first thing you seee as you pass through the event horizon on the otherside.
                            Its physically impossible to see anything, since you don't exist inside the wormhole except as atoms.
                            sigpic

Comment

That is partly true, it is impossible to see anything inside the wormhole, but you don't even exist as atoms, you exist as energy.

Owen Macri

Comment

Working...
                              X