General Star Trek question -- all series

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

General Star Trek question -- all series

Do you guys know much about the Breen and Gorn? Specifically, what's their tech like (equal to UFP, more advanced, less advanced) and how old of a species they are? I know the Gorn are reptilian and are gonna be shown in an upcoming Enterprise, but do you know anything else about them?

Also, from Voyager, the Voth, the dinosaur dudes, were from Earth 65 million years ago and had space tech and went to Delta Quad. They had impressive tech,but if they are that old, wouldn't they be sorta like the Ancients? Any thoughts?

Sorry if my questions are dumb, but I figured you ST fans would know more than me.

Thanks,
    Jared

Well, I know the gorn are pretty much on Starfleets level of tech, even if they were able to wipe out an entire outpost. The Breen seem more advanced then starfleet, if the havoc they wreaked in the Dominion War is any indication.

Also, the voth...just don't mention the voth. One of the stupidist things that have ever come out of TBTB.

Comment

I am not sure if the Breen are stronger than SF and the rest. They came in at the very end of the Dominion war when all 5 of the other powers had a lot of damaged ships and thrown together fleets. Of course in all the other shows you only saw a fleet 2 times ad-hoc is SF's motto.
      I had blocked out the Voth and pretty much every single Delta (?) quadrant race since none of them except for whatever Kes's race was were very interesting and most of that is that I really liked Kes.

Comment

The Gorn are about on level with Starfleet at the time. We only really saw them in one episode so this is all speculation. Gorn are classified as N - Technocracy Age.

Breen are quite advanced in weaponry and gained a lot of advancment with thier alliance with the Dominion. They probally surpass Starfleet by a few hundred years.

Yah, I think we all would like to forget about the voth.
        Condemnant quod non intellegunt.

Comment

Originally posted by Tom Servo
          Well, I know the gorn are pretty much on Starfleets level of tech, even if they were able to wipe out an entire outpost....
          Also, the voth...just don't mention the voth. One of the stupidist things that have ever come out of TBTB.
          But the Gorn are good?

Comment

Gorn: From what has been mentioned, they are on a similar tech level as the Klingons, and their way of conducting business is very similar. I think of them as klingons with scales. I would like them more, but i dislike reptillian aliens without tails.

Breen: One of my favorite minor races. Often mentioned, seldom seen. Shown to be more advanced than the federation in weapons technology at least. Most likely other areas too. It has been stated that they control multiple star systems, and favor extreme cold climates. Also, they do not have blood. While their technology is very advanced, it seemed to have a strange vulnerability to klingon style disruptors. Also, supposedly nobody has ever seen a living breen outside of their environment suits.

Comment

The Vorn are so much of a plothole it's insane. So don't even try to understand why they only have slipstream and not instantaneous travel cross-galaxy or beyond.
              Enter my game site...

Comment

Like others have said, the Gorn are pretty much on the same level as the Federation. The Gorn ship in "Arena" and the Enterprise were pretty evenly matched. The only "primitve" thing about the Gorn was the outfit the Gorn captain was wearing. But for all we know the Gorn just like being comfortable, so I can't fault him for that. Also, I think the Gorn are at least more on the level of the federation than the Klingons. All the Klingons did was backward engineer the tech left behind after the Hur'Q invasion, whereas there's been nothing to indicate the Gorn didn't develop their ships.

As for the Breen, they're pretty mysterious. They have a decent sized empire that it more than capable of defending itself from all accounts. Their ships are advanced enough that they managed to do a strafing run on San Francisco without being destroyed en route through Federation space. And even though they wear refrigeration suits, it was revealed on DS9 that their homeworld is actually quite temperate. All in all the Breen are pretty cool.

The Voth: meh. They had some impressive tech (but then again I wouldn't expect anything less since their civilization has been around for millions of years), but there wasn't much too them. Once there was evidence that they had originated on Earth and not in the Delta Quadrant, all the evidence was ordered destroyed and to never be spoken of again. Not exactly the most enlighteneed approach to a species. All around I thought they were pretty "blah".
                MCKAY: We need the Zed PM to power the Gate.

O'NEILL: What?

JACKSON: ZPM. He's Canadian.

O'NEILL: I'm sorry.

Comment

Lexx, a few things i would like to point out in respect to your last post.

Firstly, the breen homeworld is not tempererate at all, its a ball of ice. Remember when Dukat was threatening a certain cardassian with a posting at the cardassian embassy on Breen?

I think the first thing I'll do
                  when I'm returned to power is to
                  demote him... and assign him to
                  the Cardassian Embassy on Breen.
                  I hear it's bitter cold on Breen.
                  And we Cardassians do despise the
                  cold...
                  "Dukat" - "Return to Grace" - STS9

Secondly, it was revealed that the Gorn culture is FEUDAL. I would think that indicates a certain lack of sophistication on their part, putting them more in line with the klingons.

Comment

I wouldn't say that politics has much to do with technology. ALL of the ST races are just past a mix of earth socities. Not all are as bad as the Romulans and Klingons but writers (especially SF) are lazy and using Rome, Sparta, Vikings, or whatever as a template saves a lot of time and makes the civilazation more believeable.

Comment

Originally posted by Tain
                      Firstly, the breen homeworld is not tempererate at all, its a ball of ice. Remember when Dukat was threatening a certain cardassian with a posting at the cardassian embassy on Breen?
                      During the ending arc of DS9 (either in 'Til Death Do Us Part, Strange Bedfellows, or The Changing face of Evil) Weyoun tells Damar after they make their alliance wth the Breen that the breen homeworld is actually quite nice. Damar then asks why they wear the refrigeration suits and Weyoun has no idea.

Secondly, it was revealed that the Gorn culture is FEUDAL. I would think that indicates a certain lack of sophistication on their part, putting them more in line with the klingons.
                      Japan was a feudal society too back in the day, and they had one of the most advanced civilizations of the time.

Comment

Originally posted by Lexx
                        During the ending arc of DS9 (either in 'Til Death Do Us Part, Strange Bedfellows, or The Changing face of Evil) Weyoun tells Damar after they make their alliance wth the Breen that the breen homeworld is actually quite nice. Damar then asks why they wear the refrigeration suits and Weyoun has no idea.

Japan was a feudal society too back in the day, and they had one of the most advanced civilizations of the time.
                        Lexx is right, as usual. The Gorn were, and probably still are, quite advanced. Unlike the Klingons, the Gorn independently discovered their own technology and their ships were quite advanced. They had warp long before Dr. Cochrane discovered it. The Klingons retroengineered some of their tech from the Hur'q invasion, and the rest they acquired from conquest. The Klingons would never have discovered warp or cloak tech had it not been for other races.

The Gorn, however, did accomplish much more on their own. Not sure about the Breen Homeworld, but it would be odd to wear refrigeration suits if the planet were actually nice, unless they came from another region of the galaxy and settled on the Breen homeworld. Supposedly, the Tholians had distant origins in another galaxy, or another quadrant of the galaxy, and settled on Tholia, but I'm not sure if that was fanfiction or fact...I forget where I read that.

Comment

Originally posted by LordAnubis
                          Not sure about the Breen Homeworld, but it would be odd to wear refrigeration suits if the planet were actually nice, unless they came from another region of the galaxy and settled on the Breen homeworld. Supposedly, the Tholians had distant origins in another galaxy, or another quadrant of the galaxy, and settled on Tholia, but I'm not sure if that was fanfiction or fact...I forget where I read that.
                          I've always imagined something along those lines too. Truth be told, I liked it better when the Breen homeworld was just a big ice ball. It seems dumb to me that TPTB of DS9 decided to change one of the core things about a species just so Weyoun can have a casual conversation with Damar about something. Kind of like how the entire premise of season 7's "The Emperor's New Cloak" was that there weren't cloaking devices in the Mirror Universe. But then when I watched "Through the Looking Glass", which takes place in season 3, what do I see? Klingon and Cardassian ships de-cloaking. DS9 was the best Star Trek series to observe continuity, but boy did they screw up on that one.

Comment

The Voth~Well I guess they could be consider sorta like Ancients, but since we didn't evolve from them.We evolved after they had left,and they comet that destroyed their Earth habitat and killed the rest of the dinosaurs was over and done with. The closest thing I would say Trek has to Ancients is, those Progenitor people from TNG's episode The Chase. Because the seeded the galaxy with their DNA and were the ones all the humanoid races supposedly evolved from.
                            Please come and vist my friends and my little corner of the net. We'd love to have you.

Comment

Breen: One of my favorite minor races. Often mentioned, seldom seen. Shown to be more advanced than the federation in weapons technology at least. Most likely other areas too. It has been stated that they control multiple star systems, and favor extreme cold climates. Also, they do not have blood. While their technology is very advanced, it seemed to have a strange vulnerability to klingon style disruptors. Also, supposedly nobody has ever seen a living breen outside of their environment suits.
                              they don't have blood?? :O

think its been mentioned but it is suggeted that they're home world is infact quite temporate. And as for them being more tech advanced than the fderation? not a chance. They had one specific weapon that disabled starfleet and romulan ships but once this was countered were no more difficult to destroy than anyone else. Thery are a very coo race tho, that i was more time had been devoted to (did anyone see them in the crowd of the Orian Slave market btw? im sure they were the ones in the green/silver hoods)

Comment

Working...
                              X