Sam Carter/Jack O'Neill Ship Discussion Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by hlndncr View Post
    1. I don't need to be told what happened at Shore Leave. I was there.

2. Nothing that was said at Shore Leave contradicts my statements.

If you want to believe to the contrary you are welcome to your opinion, but that's just not how it works.
    Sorry, I did not mean to imply that you didn't know what was being said at the con, I was merely trying to bring in a reference, since I felt that what AT said did not sound very optional. But then again, I don't have any insight into the production of Stargate in particular.

I'd really love to learn more about that production process, and you seem to have a lot of background knowledge. Could you give me a tip for reading material (article, blog posts by producers, book, or similar) that deals with that topic? Are you maybe even employed in the entertainment sector and could offer any helpful inside information?
    Unfortunately it is a topic, that I can hardly find material about, and the material that I have come across dealing with military involvement in US television shows (although none of it was Stargate-related so far) has always been very critical and cautious of the military's involvement.
    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by hedwig View Post
      I didn't word that very well. I do believe Hammond overruled Jack's orders, and that he sent Sam and Teal'c along with the weapons.

I was just thinking that Jack knew the weapons could be beamed up, so maybe in the back of his mind he thought that Hammond would overrule his (Jack's) order, and also send Sam and Teal'c along with those weapons. Maybe it wasn't a totally conscious thought on Jack's part, but I find it hard to accept that Jack believed Hammond would let him get away with ordering his team to stay away and leave him to die. I think that because Hammond and Jack both knew that SG1 had made it through more difficult situations than this and it usually took more than one brain to come up with a solution, that Hammond would realize Jack needed more than weapons to get through this situation.

I think there must be some sort of disconnect between my brain and what I'm typing out because I don't seem to be doing a very good job of explaining myself.
      I get what you're saying now. Thank you for the clarification.

I do think it's possible Jack could have at least hoped his team would come anyway. I think he expected Sam to protest and to try and get up there and that's why he cut her off and told her his decision was final. And given that when Jack asked them to wish him luck Hammond was the only one who did so he might have thought Hammond would agree with him and keep the rest of SG1 out of it.

Comment

Originally posted by Kimberley Jackson View Post
        Sorry, I did not mean to imply that you didn't know what was being said at the con, I was merely trying to bring in a reference, since I felt that what AT said did not sound very optional. But then again, I don't have any insight into the production of Stargate in particular.

I'd really love to learn more about that production process, and you seem to have a lot of background knowledge. Could you give me a tip for reading material (article, blog posts by producers, book, or similar) that deals with that topic? Are you maybe even employed in the entertainment sector and could offer any helpful inside information?
        Unfortunately it is a topic, that I can hardly find material about, and the material that I have come across dealing with military involvement in US television shows (although none of it was Stargate-related so far) has always been very critical and cautious of the military's involvement.
        I'm sorry I was snippy. I apologize.

I'm a lawyer in DC. I'm pretty familiar with the politics around here, but I don't have any special insight into television production. I have just read a lot and listened to a lot of commentary and interviews relating to Stargate. There's a lot of contradictory and incomplete information out there and the actors especially, but sometimes the directors and producers too, don't always explain the details with precision.

You might find this video about the USAF Entertainment Liaison Office entertaining (click on the "play video" button).

Comment

Originally posted by selene0789 View Post
          I'm glad the military was involved. They know their stuff the best, and I have the utmost gratitude for their role in producing a series so accurate. I see these movies and tv shows where the military is only used as a plot device, and end up being nothing more than a ridiculous stereotype.

Whatever the truth of it-- if it was the producers, the military, or the actors who put the kabosh on the ship-- I'm glad it played out the way it did. Dabble as I may in the realm of AUs and what-ifs, I still love this ship in its canonical entirety. I wouldn't change a thing.

I see all these other shows trying to do what Stargate did, and none of them have been able to weave such an intimate, intricate relationship like S/J's. Gosh, now I'm getting all choked up. Now I'm going to have to go watch some episodes...
          Completely agreed. And I love your AUs. But I love Cannon. I'm glad that the respect was shown *sighs*

Originally posted by Kimberley Jackson View Post

Joe Malozzi once wrote a blog series on production (that was never completed, more's the pity) but it shows a episode being produced from start to finished in astonishing detail...)

http://stargate-sg1-solutions.com/jmpd/jmpd00.shtml

He starts from concept meeting and goes all the way to production week (but doesn't go into post-production...boo)

It's a long but interesting read.

Comment

Hi Shippers!

We are about to begin our Season 4 rewatch. It's going to move along at a good clip; so everyone keep an eye out for your turn and try to have your review ready on time. I'll do my best to send out reminders.

Because Amber was going out of town she has already posted her review of Small Victories. I'll bring that forward on Monday to kick off the new season and then my review of The Other Side will be up on Thursday.

Please feel free to comment on any episode at any time and provide your own ideas and insights. It's the discussion that makes this activity fun.

Hope everyone is looking forward to all the delicious shippiness of Season 4. I know I am!

Comment

Could I see the schedule again?
              sigpichttps://www.fanfiction.net/s/7450657...-World-Goes-On Sparky story SGA https://www.fanfiction.net/s/10177037/1/Bad-Moon-Rising Teen Wolf fanfic story https://www.fanfiction.net/s/10573271/1/Skyfall Thor fanfic story
              https://www.fanfiction.net/s/1168823...here-Was-Light Crimson Peak story sig by yamiinsane

Comment

Here's the Season 4 schedule:

Tuesday, September 3: Small Victories - AmberLM
                Thursday, September 5: The Other Side - hlndncr
                Monday, September 9: Upgrades - Sparky She-Demon
                Wednesday, September 11: Crossroads - neverendingimagination
                Friday, September 13: Divide and Conquer - IamDKScully
                Tuesday, September 17: Window of Opportunity - Lucycat
                Thursday, September 19: Watergate - Lt.Colonel John Sheppard
                Monday, September 23: The First Ones - Starship Trooper
                Wednesday, September 25: Scorched Earth - IamDKScully
                Friday, September 27: Beneath the Surface - neverendingimagination
                Tuesday, October 1: Point of No Return - Lt.Colonel John Sheppard
                Thursday, October 3: Tangent - hlndncr
                Monday, October 7: The Curse - Sparky She-Demon
                Wednesday, October 9: The Serpent’s Venom - Lucycat
                Friday, October 11: Chain Reaction - Starship Trooper
                Tuesday, October 15: 2010 - hlndncr
                Thursday, October 17: Absolute Power - IamDKScully
                Monday, October 21: The Light - neverendingimagination
                Wednesday, October 23: Prodigy - Sparky She-Demon
                Friday, October 25: Entity - Starship Trooper
                Tuesday, October 29: Double Jeopardy - Lt.Colonel John Sheppard
                Thursday, October 31: Exodus - hlndncr

Comment

Thanks.
                  sigpichttps://www.fanfiction.net/s/7450657...-World-Goes-On Sparky story SGA https://www.fanfiction.net/s/10177037/1/Bad-Moon-Rising Teen Wolf fanfic story https://www.fanfiction.net/s/10573271/1/Skyfall Thor fanfic story
                  https://www.fanfiction.net/s/1168823...here-Was-Light Crimson Peak story sig by yamiinsane

Comment

i just noticed that Season 1 and 4 are the only SG-1 seasons without a Midseason two parter.
                    Last edited by Lt.Colonel John Sheppard; 31 August 2013, 03:16 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Lt.Colonel John Sheppard View Post
                      i just noticed that Season 1 and 4 are the only SG-1 seasons with a Midseason two parter.
                      I think you meant to type without.

Comment

Originally posted by hlndncr View Post
                        I think you meant to type without.
                        fixed it. nice looking out there.

Comment

To kick off the Season 4 Rewatch I'm bringing forward AmberLM's review of Small Victories. Enjoy! Discuss!

Originally posted by AmberLM View Post
                          [ATTACH]38486[/ATTACH]

Synopsis:

Two Russian submariners go to investigate a pressure alarm and find a replicator in their torpedo bay. It attacks and kills them.

Daniel gets poked and prodded by Janet because he's just had an emergency appendectomy. She tells him to take it easy but he jumps up and runs off when there's an un-scheduled off-world activation, hoping it's SG-1 returned from the planet they've been stranded on for a week. Teal'c returns with a beard, Sam and Jack seem... happy.

Sam's studying Replicator blocks in her lab. Jack invites her fishing again, she declines but just as he leaves she gets a phone call from Hammond telling her to stop Jack from leaving - Major Davis is on his way ergo big emergency and Jack's no longer going fishing.

The Americans intercept a mayday call from the Russian sub being attacked by a mechanical spider. The crew is all dead. Jack wants to blow it up, Sam argues that might not work. Major Davis is sympathetic but needs another option besides a nuke. Jack suggests guns, Sam agrees it could work.

Thor arrives through the Stargate and says he owes SG-1 a debt of gratitude but cannot help them with the replicator on the submarine. He instead asks for their help as human projectile weapons have been the only things able to kill the bugs. He needs someone with "simple" thinking - Sam volunteers, Jack doesn't think she's dumb enough. Hammond sends her anyway.

Jack leads a team of 4, including Teal'c, to destroy the Replicators on the submarine. Jack mentions he has an insane aversion to bugs just before he goes in. On the Asgard home world, Sam learns of the existence of "The O'Neill", a fancy new ship better than any other the Asgard have at present. It isn't yet complete. Thor says his entire race is counting on Sam's "stupid" ideas to save them. No pressure, then!

Back on Earth, Jack and his team find lots of Replicators on the submarine, including a huge "Queen" bug. Teal'c and Stevens get attacked and all the video feeds go dead. Stevens gets killed by the Replicators.

Meanwhile, Thor teaches Sam how the Replicators work but he won't explain what the technical details are to Sam, saying she needs to understand it in her own terms to think outside the box. He gives her a virtual Replicator to run simulations.

Janet patches up Teal'c and Jack says the only way to get rid of the bugs at this point is to blow the sub up. Janet finds a rusted Replicator block in Teal'c's neck. Back with Thor, Sam gets distracted worrying about SG-1. Thor tells her Jack is very capable of getting the job done and promises that he will help Earth as soon as the Replicators have been stopped from destroying the Asgard home world. He offers Sam food that looks like play doh shapes. Sam eats a yellow one then spits it out in disgust. They get a warning message that several Asgard ships have been taken over by Replicators.

Daniel realises that if the bugs on the submarine are vulnerable to the sea water, blowing it up may result in the original bug surviving. Time for plan C. They discover that the original bug is part of the "Queen" bug so they set up a diversion by blowing up a small charge to get the mini bugs away from the Queen.

Sam notices the bugs are flying the Asgard ships slowly and Thor tells her to fly at hyper speed, they need all the generator power. Whilst replicating, they're using some of the energy so Sam surmises they won't have weapons or shields either. They're only not attacking Thor's ship at present because it poses no threat and is technologically inferior to the ships they currently occupy. Just as Jack and Teal'c board the submarine, it dives.

Thor realises that Sam is tired and says that's one advantage the Replicators have over biological life forms. Sam realises they still have to eat and they are what they eat. Sam suggests they use the O'Neill to lead the Replicators away at hyper speed because the bugs will be attracted to its hull made from a new, super-strong alloy of naquadah, trinium and carbon. They will then blow up the O'Neill in order to destroy the Replicator-infested ships. Thor refuses as it's too big a risk if the Replicators catch up with the O'Neill before they are able to blow it. Sam argues her case and Thor eventually agrees to the plan.

Jack and Teal'c attack the Queen bug but the bugs try to seal them in by building walls across the exits. They're trapped. Jack orders Daniel and Major Davis to blow the sub with them inside before they get eaten alive by the bugs.

Thor launches the O'Neill and the bugs chase it. They blow up the ship, destroying all the Replicator ships. Sam hugs Thor. Just as the torpedoes hit the sub, Sam and Thor beam them out. An ecstatic Daniel can't get his words out to explain why Jack and Teal'c are ok to Davis. On board the Asgard ship, Sam tells Jack about the O'Neill but then informs him that they had to destroy it to beat the Replicators. Jack pouts. Thor says that, one day, once the Replicators are defeated for good, the Asgard will get rid of the Goa'uld. Jack offers to take Thor fishing and Sam and Teal'c look unimpressed just as Thor beams them back to Earth.

Favourite Lines:

: "Permission to shower granted. In fact, I insist on it, Colonel!"

"Sir, if there's still a small enough number of replicators on board, a properly equipped team could possibly-"
                          [tiredly]"... Save the world?"
                          "Getting old for you, Sir?"

Comment

Part II

Originally posted by AmberLM View Post
                            Review:

I love this episode, it's a damn near perfect episode for me. We get Hammond making jokes, Janet helping out, Major Davis getting emotionally involved with SG-1 (I always had a soft spot for Major Davis), Sgt Siler getting out of the SGC, Thor and some great team and S/J moments.

The "Red Shirt" syndrome which affects one of the two guys on the team we don't know was a tad predictable and pointless in my opinion but, hey, they maybe ran a few minutes short that week.

Daniel's emotional rollercoaster as he decides whether to blow the sub and his subsequent joy at Teal'c and Jack surviving is infectious. Kudos to Michael for his acting here.

Other moments of note include Jack's comment that he'd rather be blown up than eaten by bugs. I found that quite moving that he asked Daniel to kill him to save him the pain. Major Davis, as always, is delightful. He's incredibly passionate in his pleas to SG-1 to give him a viable plan that he and the Pentagon can work with; he, unlike most of the Pentagon windbags, knows it's a big ask but he clearly has faith in their abilities to come up with the goods. He's also clearly distressed at the thought of being ordered to kill O'Neill and Teal'c. His relief at the end is palpable, just as it is in 'Tangent'.

I also felt that Teal'c was a little neglected script-wise. Rob Cooper needs to work on that but he did give us some good shippy bits and comedy so he didn't do too badly.

The Russian at the start translates as "What was that noise?" "Maybe it's the bug from last week's episode!" Lol.

Sam hugging Thor is just too cute!

Mention must also be made of our beloved Shipper director, Mr Martin Wood. He did an excellent job with capturing the little nuances of the comedy and the actors' expressions in Small Victories. The cast seemed to really enjoy this one.

S/J moments:

When Hammond notes that the Asgard left them stranded on the planet, Sam glances at Jack and rather smugly says that "We were fine...Sir" (- note the suggestive pause before she adds the 'Sir'. Makes me think maybe the 'Sir-ing' had been let slide a little in the previous few days ). She then gives Jack a "look" as he leaves for his shower. (*nudgenudgewinkwink* something happened on that planet!)

Sam's studying a Replicator piece under a magnifying glass. Jack interrupts her by peering through it and he (and we) are treated to one of Sam's megawatt smiles and a very definite laugh. There's another fishing invitation ("Still going fishing?" "Yup! Still staying here?" "Yes, Sir. I think I've had enough relaxation for a while" *Insert Jack smirk here*). They're flirting big-time, if this were any other show they probably would've been making out on the desk by the end of the scene.

Sam gets a fine view of Jack "walking out the door" (because you know she was admiring the view *guttersplash*)

There's a lot of gutter in those looks during the fishing conversation which makes me wonder what exactly happened while they were stranded on that planet for a whole week.

(Rachel500 does a pretty good attempt at describing what might've happened in canon in her 'Aftershocks' series)

Sam and Jack sit pretty close together during the meeting with Davis and both argue in tandem heatedly with him.

When Sam goes with Thor, Jack tells Sam to have fun. She sings "yasureyabetcha!" At him just as he did when leaving for his fishing trip. My only disappointment was that she misses off the 'snookums' bit but then she was in front of Hammond!

Sam's distracted from her work worrying about Earth. Funny how Thor directly relates her being worried to her thinking about Jack (I think we have another shipper on our team lol!)

When Sam and Thor beam Jack and Teal'c aboard, Sam can't stop smiling her megawatt smiles at Jack.

Just a note, the Gateworld character development for this episode notes that Sam and Jack's relationship changes this episode and that she is free to show how much she enjoys him... In the words of Jack O'Neill, "if only!".

Ship Rating: and a half out of 5
                            Overall Rating: 4/5

Comment

Thanks Amber for a fabulous review! I agree with just about everything and I really don't think I can add much to it.

It's pretty well know that RDA loved working with the Thor puppet. AT would get really into it too. I believe it was on this episode that the puppeteers were playing around and they had Thor put his hand on AT's rear and she turned around and slapped him. You go girl!

(Almost forgot the end of the story. After she slapped him she apologized. Then she remembered she was apologizing to a puppet.)

I get that the Asgard, particularly Thor (Supreme Commander of the Asgard fleet); so it makes sense to me they would name a ship The O'Neill. Besides, it is funny Sam had it blown up. But then they build The Daniel Jackson, which makes no sense. Yes, it is an inside joke because Thor is voiced by MS and his ship is named after MS's character. But in story, Daniel has very little face to face interaction with Thor. I'm also just annoyed that Sam never really gets any acknowledgement for saving the Asgard home planet (and later trapping the Replicators for them). In fact, I think Sam deserves more than just a ship named after her. Maybe an entire class of ships, or the Asgard tactical academy. Perhaps a planet?

As for the shippiness in this episode, AMAZING! Not just the cute and flirty fishing scene and the beginning, but all the casual flirtation and easy banter throughout. The hesitance of the week before is gone. I don't think anything inappropriate went on while they were stranded off-world, but I do think that Sam and Jack grew closer and more comfortable with one another during that time and their feelings for one another are closer to the surface.
                              Last edited by hlndncr; 02 September 2013, 06:21 PM.

Comment

The Asgard were puppets? I thought they were CGI.

Comment

Working...
                                X