Wednesday, October 23: Prodigy - Sparky She-Demon
    Friday, October 25: Entity - Starship Trooper
    Tuesday, October 29: Double Jeopardy - Lt.Colonel John Sheppard
    Thursday, October 31: Exodus - hlndncr

Default Re: Sam Carter/Jack O'Neill Ship Discussion Thread

Thanks.

Brigadier General

i just noticed that Season 1 and 4 are the only SG-1 seasons without a Midseason two parter.
    Last edited by Lt.Colonel John Sheppard; August 31st, 2013 at 03:16 PM.

My own mad world...with a malfunctioning Stargate

Quote Originally Posted by Lt.Colonel John Sheppard View Post
    i just noticed that Season 1 and 4 are the only SG-1 seasons with a Midseason two parter.
    I think you meant to type without.

Brigadier General

Quote Originally Posted by hlndncr View Post
    I think you meant to type without.
    fixed it. nice looking out there.

To kick off the Season 4 Rewatch I'm bringing forward AmberLM's review of Small Victories. Enjoy! Discuss!

Quote Originally Posted by AmberLM View Post
    Attachment 38486

Synopsis:

Two Russian submariners go to investigate a pressure alarm and find a replicator in their torpedo bay. It attacks and kills them.

Daniel gets poked and prodded by Janet because he's just had an emergency appendectomy. She tells him to take it easy but he jumps up and runs off when there's an un-scheduled off-world activation, hoping it's SG-1 returned from the planet they've been stranded on for a week. Teal'c returns with a beard, Sam and Jack seem... happy.

Sam's studying Replicator blocks in her lab. Jack invites her fishing again, she declines but just as he leaves she gets a phone call from Hammond telling her to stop Jack from leaving - Major Davis is on his way ergo big emergency and Jack's no longer going fishing.

The Americans intercept a mayday call from the Russian sub being attacked by a mechanical spider. The crew is all dead. Jack wants to blow it up, Sam argues that might not work. Major Davis is sympathetic but needs another option besides a nuke. Jack suggests guns, Sam agrees it could work.

Thor arrives through the Stargate and says he owes SG-1 a debt of gratitude but cannot help them with the replicator on the submarine. He instead asks for their help as human projectile weapons have been the only things able to kill the bugs. He needs someone with "simple" thinking - Sam volunteers, Jack doesn't think she's dumb enough. Hammond sends her anyway.

Jack leads a team of 4, including Teal'c, to destroy the Replicators on the submarine. Jack mentions he has an insane aversion to bugs just before he goes in. On the Asgard home world, Sam learns of the existence of "The O'Neill", a fancy new ship better than any other the Asgard have at present. It isn't yet complete. Thor says his entire race is counting on Sam's "stupid" ideas to save them. No pressure, then!

Back on Earth, Jack and his team find lots of Replicators on the submarine, including a huge "Queen" bug. Teal'c and Stevens get attacked and all the video feeds go dead. Stevens gets killed by the Replicators.

Meanwhile, Thor teaches Sam how the Replicators work but he won't explain what the technical details are to Sam, saying she needs to understand it in her own terms to think outside the box. He gives her a virtual Replicator to run simulations.

Janet patches up Teal'c and Jack says the only way to get rid of the bugs at this point is to blow the sub up. Janet finds a rusted Replicator block in Teal'c's neck. Back with Thor, Sam gets distracted worrying about SG-1. Thor tells her Jack is very capable of getting the job done and promises that he will help Earth as soon as the Replicators have been stopped from destroying the Asgard home world. He offers Sam food that looks like play doh shapes. Sam eats a yellow one then spits it out in disgust. They get a warning message that several Asgard ships have been taken over by Replicators.

Daniel realises that if the bugs on the submarine are vulnerable to the sea water, blowing it up may result in the original bug surviving. Time for plan C. They discover that the original bug is part of the "Queen" bug so they set up a diversion by blowing up a small charge to get the mini bugs away from the Queen.

Sam notices the bugs are flying the Asgard ships slowly and Thor tells her to fly at hyper speed, they need all the generator power. Whilst replicating, they're using some of the energy so Sam surmises they won't have weapons or shields either. They're only not attacking Thor's ship at present because it poses no threat and is technologically inferior to the ships they currently occupy. Just as Jack and Teal'c board the submarine, it dives.

Thor realises that Sam is tired and says that's one advantage the Replicators have over biological life forms. Sam realises they still have to eat and they are what they eat. Sam suggests they use the O'Neill to lead the Replicators away at hyper speed because the bugs will be attracted to its hull made from a new, super-strong alloy of naquadah, trinium and carbon. They will then blow up the O'Neill in order to destroy the Replicator-infested ships. Thor refuses as it's too big a risk if the Replicators catch up with the O'Neill before they are able to blow it. Sam argues her case and Thor eventually agrees to the plan.

Jack and Teal'c attack the Queen bug but the bugs try to seal them in by building walls across the exits. They're trapped. Jack orders Daniel and Major Davis to blow the sub with them inside before they get eaten alive by the bugs.

Thor launches the O'Neill and the bugs chase it. They blow up the ship, destroying all the Replicator ships. Sam hugs Thor. Just as the torpedoes hit the sub, Sam and Thor beam them out. An ecstatic Daniel can't get his words out to explain why Jack and Teal'c are ok to Davis. On board the Asgard ship, Sam tells Jack about the O'Neill but then informs him that they had to destroy it to beat the Replicators. Jack pouts. Thor says that, one day, once the Replicators are defeated for good, the Asgard will get rid of the Goa'uld. Jack offers to take Thor fishing and Sam and Teal'c look unimpressed just as Thor beams them back to Earth.

Favourite Lines:

: "Permission to shower granted. In fact, I insist on it, Colonel!"

"Sir, if there's still a small enough number of replicators on board, a properly equipped team could possibly-"
    [tiredly]"... Save the world?"
    "Getting old for you, Sir?"

Part II

Quote Originally Posted by AmberLM View Post
    Review:

I love this episode, it's a damn near perfect episode for me. We get Hammond making jokes, Janet helping out, Major Davis getting emotionally involved with SG-1 (I always had a soft spot for Major Davis), Sgt Siler getting out of the SGC, Thor and some great team and S/J moments.

The "Red Shirt" syndrome which affects one of the two guys on the team we don't know was a tad predictable and pointless in my opinion but, hey, they maybe ran a few minutes short that week.

Daniel's emotional rollercoaster as he decides whether to blow the sub and his subsequent joy at Teal'c and Jack surviving is infectious. Kudos to Michael for his acting here.

Other moments of note include Jack's comment that he'd rather be blown up than eaten by bugs. I found that quite moving that he asked Daniel to kill him to save him the pain. Major Davis, as always, is delightful. He's incredibly passionate in his pleas to SG-1 to give him a viable plan that he and the Pentagon can work with; he, unlike most of the Pentagon windbags, knows it's a big ask but he clearly has faith in their abilities to come up with the goods. He's also clearly distressed at the thought of being ordered to kill O'Neill and Teal'c. His relief at the end is palpable, just as it is in 'Tangent'.

I also felt that Teal'c was a little neglected script-wise. Rob Cooper needs to work on that but he did give us some good shippy bits and comedy so he didn't do too badly.

The Russian at the start translates as "What was that noise?" "Maybe it's the bug from last week's episode!" Lol.

Sam hugging Thor is just too cute!

Mention must also be made of our beloved Shipper director, Mr Martin Wood. He did an excellent job with capturing the little nuances of the comedy and the actors' expressions in Small Victories. The cast seemed to really enjoy this one.

S/J moments:

When Hammond notes that the Asgard left them stranded on the planet, Sam glances at Jack and rather smugly says that "We were fine...Sir" (- note the suggestive pause before she adds the 'Sir'. Makes me think maybe the 'Sir-ing' had been let slide a little in the previous few days ). She then gives Jack a "look" as he leaves for his shower. (*nudgenudgewinkwink* something happened on that planet!)

Sam's studying a Replicator piece under a magnifying glass. Jack interrupts her by peering through it and he (and we) are treated to one of Sam's megawatt smiles and a very definite laugh. There's another fishing invitation ("Still going fishing?" "Yup! Still staying here?" "Yes, Sir. I think I've had enough relaxation for a while" *Insert Jack smirk here*). They're flirting big-time, if this were any other show they probably would've been making out on the desk by the end of the scene.

Sam gets a fine view of Jack "walking out the door" (because you know she was admiring the view *guttersplash*)

There's a lot of gutter in those looks during the fishing conversation which makes me wonder what exactly happened while they were stranded on that planet for a whole week.

(Rachel500 does a pretty good attempt at describing what might've happened in canon in her 'Aftershocks' series)

Sam and Jack sit pretty close together during the meeting with Davis and both argue in tandem heatedly with him.

When Sam goes with Thor, Jack tells Sam to have fun. She sings "yasureyabetcha!" At him just as he did when leaving for his fishing trip. My only disappointment was that she misses off the 'snookums' bit but then she was in front of Hammond!

Sam's distracted from her work worrying about Earth. Funny how Thor directly relates her being worried to her thinking about Jack (I think we have another shipper on our team lol!)

When Sam and Thor beam Jack and Teal'c aboard, Sam can't stop smiling her megawatt smiles at Jack.

Just a note, the Gateworld character development for this episode notes that Sam and Jack's relationship changes this episode and that she is free to show how much she enjoys him... In the words of Jack O'Neill, "if only!".

Ship Rating: and a half out of 5
    Overall Rating: 4/5

Thanks Amber for a fabulous review! I agree with just about everything and I really don't think I can add much to it.

It's pretty well know that RDA loved working with the Thor puppet. AT would get really into it too. I believe it was on this episode that the puppeteers were playing around and they had Thor put his hand on AT's rear and she turned around and slapped him. You go girl!

(Almost forgot the end of the story. After she slapped him she apologized. Then she remembered she was apologizing to a puppet.)

I get that the Asgard, particularly Thor (Supreme Commander of the Asgard fleet); so it makes sense to me they would name a ship The O'Neill. Besides, it is funny Sam had it blown up. But then they build The Daniel Jackson, which makes no sense. Yes, it is an inside joke because Thor is voiced by MS and his ship is named after MS's character. But in story, Daniel has very little face to face interaction with Thor. I'm also just annoyed that Sam never really gets any acknowledgement for saving the Asgard home planet (and later trapping the Replicators for them). In fact, I think Sam deserves more than just a ship named after her. Maybe an entire class of ships, or the Asgard tactical academy. Perhaps a planet?

As for the shippiness in this episode, AMAZING! Not just the cute and flirty fishing scene and the beginning, but all the casual flirtation and easy banter throughout. The hesitance of the week before is gone. I don't think anything inappropriate went on while they were stranded off-world, but I do think that Sam and Jack grew closer and more comfortable with one another during that time and their feelings for one another are closer to the surface.
    Last edited by hlndncr; September 2nd, 2013 at 06:21 PM.

The Asgard were puppets? I thought they were CGI.

Quote Originally Posted by Sparky She-Demon View Post
    Most of the time Thor and the other Asgard were puppets. The only completely CGI Asgard was Heimdall in S5 Revelations (played by Teryl Rothery).

Quote Originally Posted by hlndncr View Post
    Most of the time Thor and the other Asgard were puppets. The only completely CGI Asgard was Heimdall in S5 Revelations (played by Teryl Rothery).
    She was Heimdall?

She was Heimdall?
    Yep. Here's a pic of her on set:

Niice!

Hey Sparky! I believe that whenever you see Thor stationary it's the puppet and anytime he's walking around its CGI. Not sure about the other Agard although I think they only had the one puppet.

Hiya Scully! I read your S/J story.

I'd always thought that Thor was a puppet, voiced by Michael Shanks. There's a video of the SG cast accepting the Spacey awards with RDA horsing about and CJ/AT working the puppetry, which I found rather cute.

Hiya Scully! I read your S/J story.
    Yeah...thanks for the review it's been a lot of fun to write. I''ve been a little blocked lately and my laptop is out of commission but I hope to have the next chapter up soon!

Spoilered because it's slightly OT:
    Spoiler:

Rose City Comic Con, which is coming up in a couple of weeks, is using the same media company as Emerald City Comic Con and Calgary Expo. They will be broadcasting panels, and you can get full access (lifetime) for a relatively small fee. From what I saw, the schedule is still being finalized, but I did see something about Chris Judge being there.
    Here's the website, in case you're wondering: FlipOn

We now return you to your regularly scheduled shipping

Quote Originally Posted by Ikorni View Post
    I'd always thought that Thor was a puppet, voiced by Michael Shanks. There's a video of the SG cast accepting the Spacey awards with RDA horsing about and CJ/AT working the puppetry, which I found rather cute.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=0FvLRk0wt4k
    That is too darn cute. And yes. Sam needs at least a CLASS of warships/science vessels named after her. I can hear Thor saying it now. "The Carter class vessels have all been fully equipped with...."

On the other hand, perhaps, Thor, knowing Sam's penchant for blowing things up or burning things up with her "stupid" ideas, thought it was best not to name anything that could be easily destroyed.

The manouever which was used to lure the replicator ships away was probably named "Carter"