X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

For The Attention: Joe Mallozzi

Dear Mr Mallozzi,

First of all I would like to thank you on two counts, the first being for posting on this forum and answering our seemingly never-ending questions about SG-1 and Atlantis. Second, I would like to thank you for a generally excellent franchise, I’ve been hooked since season 1 (as pretty much every poster on this board). I would like to share my feelings about the SG-1 situation at the moment though.

Firstly, as you may or may not be aware, the Gateworld forum has 2 threads in the Season 9 section: the “pro-season 9” thread and the “anti-season 9” thread, the specifics of both being obvious. As it stands, the positive thread has 130 replies, whereas the anti thread has 346. If you have not read bits of the anti Season 9 thread, you can check it out here:

http://forum.gateworld.net/showthread.php?t=5708

When news broke out that season 6 was going ahead but that Michel Shanks would be leaving the show, the fan reaction was huge and a lot of people were upset. The character of Jonas Quinn was also received less than well by most fans at the beginning. However as season 6 progressed, the fans became happy, citing great storylines, a good team dynamic and a great character portrayed by Corin Nemec. In my opinion, season 6 was excellent (perhaps not the best, but somewhere up there). Full Circle was a great finale and a fitting end. But then, we learned of season 7, and that Michael Shanks would be returning. Fine, I thought, let’s give it a chance.

In many ways I wish I hadn’t. The season was without doubt the worst of the series. Enemy Mine was boring, Avenger 2.0 and Space Race were a joke, Evolution was lacklustre, Chimera was a horrible way to end the Osiris arc, Ressurection was awful. The season did have good episodes though (Lost City for one was brilliant, as was Fallen and Homecoming). Resurrection remains the only SG-1 episode I switched off before the end. I must state particular praise for Revisions though, that was very good and ‘felt’ like SG-1 (beautiful production sets as well by the way).

With season 7 out the way, we once again learned of season 8 to air concurrently with season 1 of Atlantis. This season was, for me, almost as bad as season 7, though perhaps not quite. Icon was dull, Avatar was tediously repetitive, Covenant was long, Prometheus Unbound ranks second on the all time worst episodes of SG-1 for me, Citizen Joe was boring and full of elements to please the fans (which in itself is fine, but when you try and mask a bad episode with fanboyish stuff, things aren’t right. It really was a horrible episode), Threads was 30minutes longer than it needed to be, Moebius was quite frankly a horrible, bizarre and ridiculously boring season finale with endless plot holes. To be fair, episodes like New Order, Zero Hour, Endgame, It’s Good to be King, Full Alert and Reckoning saved this season.

Now we are faced with a 9th season, and one with enormous changes in store for us.

Jack O’Neill: Brilliant leader in seasons 1-6, a sarcastic joke in 7-8. I can’t count the amount of times O’Neill seemed to just walk into a room, make a sarcastic “joke”, then leave. His character was good in the beginning because he was a strong leader who never took himself too seriously, he’s now been reduced to a bumbling idiotic cliché. I’ll never understand the wisdom of making him general (the major reason why the team dynamic has been reduced to what it is now).

Daniel Jackson appears to be becoming Jack Lite with every episode. Not a good thing. Oh and please tell him to stop talking so fast in certain scenes.

Teal’c with hair. No thanks.

Janet’s death, a pointless waste (Heroes was on the other hand, very well handled). From what we know about the CMD in season 9… oh dear.

General Hammond, again, it was stupid to get rid of him but hey. 6 years with 1 general and then 3 base commanders in 2-3 years, not really the mark of great writing.

Jack/Sam ship. I for one don’t have a problem with ship as long as we don’t start getting entire episodes about it, or references to it in certain episodes. Why does it feel like you make Sam rest her head on Jack’s shoulder just to keep the 15 year old shippers happy? Please, just END the debate and give the ship a break! Either let them get together, or not. We’re tired of incessant ‘looks’ between the characters, we’ve seen it all before.

Vala. Since it’s now a given that her “character” will be returning for season 9, it would be great if you didn’t make her out to be the ridiculous, pathetic joke she was in Prometheus Unbound. The sex talks in that episode were also quite frankly childish and immature. Sex in ‘Friends’ is handled better.

New charaters. There seems to be a belief on this board that the actors behind the new characters were only hired because of the roles they played in other series. As though, TPTB are too scared to go searching for new talent (and given the amount of recasting of previous actors, I wouldn’t be surprised).

The Ancients. Sometimes I get the feeling that the series I’m watching is “Stargate: The Ancients”. Do we really have to hear about them in every episode? And does every new piece of technology have to be “originally created by the Ancients” (fast becoming the most repeated line in the series). And now we learn that we’ll be “learning more about the Ancients”!! I could probably write a book on what we know about them already! To make matters even worse, the show’s ‘new bad guy’ will be evil Ancients. Give me a break.

Anubis. the series spent 3-4 years building up this character and the resolution in Threads is what we got?? I would have been happier if he had died in Lost City!

The Daedalus travelling from one galaxy to another in 3 days is laughable. Plain and simple.

I could go on and on Mr Mallozzi. I’m not sure if you’re aware at the general feeling of anti-season 9…-ness. Many of us are screaming for TPTB to end the season on a high while its still good and not go the way of X-Files and the like. I personally don’t care about the series lasting the longest of any SCI-FI series. That means nothing if the episodes are the quality we’ve been getting recently.

I would like to apologise now if my words were a bit strong. In writing this I got more and more worked up as it went on and I’m sorry. I won’t edit my post though because my attitude is consistent with many people on this board. I believe that in letting my irritation run wild in this thread is better than hiding behind politeness and not getting my view across. As I said, you should take a look at the season 9 thread for more opinions (I couldn’t possibly cover them all now).

Again I would like to thank you for all the effort you have and are putting into the series, for the most part it’s been one hell of a ride! I would appreciate your comments on what I have written. No doubt I will get attacked by those who will blindly accept whatever the series offers them but that is fine, at this point, all I’m interested in are your views on the current situation.

Thank you for taking the time to read this, and I look forward to hearing you reply.
    Last edited by Skydiver; 12 July 2007, 06:51 PM.

Feel free to reply everyone

Comment

i think you moan a bit much
      i just love to give and recieve GREENS

Comment

If you don't like it, quit watching..

No one's forcing u to watch - I personally think they're still doing a great job and when I deem that they're not I'll quit watching

I'm sick of "Fans" who just bag the crap out of the show.

Dont want a season 9 then don't watch it - many people did that for X-Files, but hey for many people season 9 of X-Files is their favourite.

Comment

So you don't like the new direction of the show? I respect your opinion but instead of complaining just stop watching it.
          Do you really think that your moans are going to stop the stargate machine?! You're just part of a minority. Most of the Stargate audience still loves the show (have u ever heard of ratings?). Those anti-season 9 and other blabla threads represent less than a hundred of "fans" when the show has several millions of viewers worldwide.

It's quite funny to see how the complaining threads has evolved in here. First there was: "Stargate SG-1 is not the same since season 3, they don't go offworld as often and bla bla bla", then "Daniel is leaving, Stargate is over", and "Where is the team dynamic", "season 1 to 6 are the best" (I thought it was 1-3? lol), "Too much stand alone on season 7", "where is Jack", "no love gate, no soap opera" and so on... I think TPTB gave an answer to those fans with Citizen Joe.

Another disturbing thing is when you said you diss on a season just because of 3/4 episodes you don't like. Every seasons had their great and so so episodes. But wait, what was I thinking! Stargate has always been better BEFORE. Then maybe you should turn back time or just stop living in the past.

NOTE: THIS WAS NOT A PERSONNAL ATTACK. Once again, you're free to express your opinion but I think you crossed the line between freedom and propaganda. We have all different tastes and opinions and I think its cool to have all these different people enjoying the SAME show but for DIFFERENT reasons.
          That thread is just another desesperate attempt to influence a (great!) member of the Stargate crew with personnal considerations and it's getting very annoying.

Comment

Originally posted by Osiris
            So you don't like the new direction of the show? I respect your opinion but instead of complaining just stop watching it.
            Do you really think that your moans are going to stop the stargate machine?! You're just part of a minority. Most of the Stargate audience still loves the show (have u ever heard of ratings?). Those anti-season 9 and other blabla threads represent less than a hundred of "fans" when the show has several millions of viewers worldwide.

It's quite funny to see how the complaining threads has evolved in here. First there was: "Stargate SG-1 is not the same since season 3, they don't go offworld as often and bla bla bla", then "Daniel is leaving, Stargate is over", and "Where is the team dynamic", "season 1 to 6 are the best" (I thought it was 1-3? lol), "Too much stand alone on season 7", "where is Jack", "no love gate, no soap opera" and so on... I think TPTB gave an answer to those fans with Citizen Joe.

Another disturbing thing is when you said you diss on a season just because of 3/4 episodes you don't like. Every seasons had their great and so so episodes. But wait, what was I thinking! Stargate has always been better BEFORE. Then maybe you should turn back time or just stop living in the past.

NOTE: THIS WAS NOT A PERSONNAL ATTACK. Once again, you're free to express your opinion but I think you crossed the line between freedom and propaganda. We have all different tastes and opinions and I think its cool to have all these different people enjoying the SAME show but for DIFFERENT reasons.
            That thread is just another desesperate attempt to influence a (great!) member of the Stargate crew with personnal considerations and it's getting very annoying.
            I'm sick of people telling me to 'stop watching'. I shouldn't have to! I love Stargate and want to watch it. I'm allowed to not like the way the direction is going, that's my opinion, but I'm not about to give up on it because 4 our of 5 of the episodes are rubbish.

A minority? Let's take a look at this forum shall we? Considering the ANTI season 9 thread is 3 times bigger than the PRO season 9 thread, I'd say that's a fair indication of the feelings of the fans. Yes there are millions of viewers worldwide but how the hell do you know what their feelings are?? The best we can do is take a look at our Stargate community we have here (which we CAN identify fan attitude), and as I've pointed out, a LOT of people aren't happy. Don't quote statistics that "a hundred" fans don't the like the way the show is going and "millions" do, because, again, YOU DON'T KNOW. The only thing you can judge is the opinion on this forum.

Funilly enough, yes I have heard of ratings. Have you ever heard of 'fans not liking the new series direction watching anyway to see how it plays out'? That's what I'm doing.

Interesting how you point out that SG-1's history has been filled with complaints. Is that supposed to be helping your case?

3/4 episodes? Re-read my post please. Firstly, more than half is more accurate, secondly it's ONLY about individual episodes, it's about the general atmosphere of the show.

Not a personal attack? Could have fooled me.

I'm so sorry it's getting annoying for you! But just as supporters of the show are allowed to speak to Mr Mallozzi, so am I and those who aren't very pleased with the way the series is turning out lately. Deal with it, it's not all about the happy perfect series with lots of 'thunk' and 'ship'.

Comment

A well balanced argument but I think TPTB are already probably aware of the Anti season 9 thread I think it was pointless to post it on new thread you should have posted it in the anti season 9 thread (just my thoughts).
              "Love is not for life, it's for one week only" Wass

“You have to stay in shape. My grandmother, she started walking five miles a day when she was 60. She's 97 today and we don't know where the hell she is.” Ellen DeGeners

“You tried your best and you failed miserably. The lesson is 'never try'.” Homer Simpson

“It took me fifteen years to discover I had no talent for writing, but I couldn't give it up, because by that time I was too famous.” Robert Benchley

“What is it with McDonald's staff who pretend they don't understand you unless you insert the 'Mc' before the item you're ordering? It has to be a McChicken burger...a chicken burger gets blank looks. Well, I'll have a McStraw and jam it into your McEyes, you f**cking Mc******!” Billy Connolly

“Before you judge a man, walk a mile in his shoes. After that, who cares? ...He's a mile away and you've got his shoes.” Billy Connolly

Comment

You could try to include some spoiler warnings for those who may not be caught up on the current season.

Open letters to TPTB are nothing new, but I still don't see what people hope to accomplish with them. The show is going in the direction it's going and no amount of complaining from the fans is going to change that, especially not if they're caged as demands for change. What makes YOUR ideas any better than anyone else's? Especially those of the people who've been actually working on the show for years?

It's THEIR show. They may ostensibly do it for us, but when you get right down to it, THEY are the ones who make the decisions, THEY are the ones who are writing the stories and THEY are the ones who will do whatever they want with whatever they want. THEY get paid to do this stuff, we don't.

I have plenty of complaints about the show, myself, I have my own ideas about what directions the show should- and shouldn't- take. But I also know that I could complain myself inside out and it wouldn't change a single thing. The show must go on, and just because I think it's being driven under the waves of mediocrity doesn't mean that everyone agrees with me. There are still plenty of fans who think the show is as great- or better- than ever, and it is for them that the show is being written. The rest of us are only so much pond scum, mucking things up for the rest of fandom.

Do you honestly believe that TPTB aren't aware of all of the negativity? They may be many things, but blind isn't one of them. They know people are upset, but lets face it, people are ALWAYS upset. TPTB are perfectly capable of SEEING complaints, just don't expect them to DO anything about it. If they changed everything that every fan (or group of fans) complained about, well... the show would have been cancelled ages ago.
                Last edited by ShadowMaat; 22 March 2005, 04:31 AM. Reason: typos

Comment

Interesting thread
                  gumboYaYa: you are all beautiful, your words and openness are what make that shine. don't forget how much talent love and beauty you all have.
                  so for now, peace love love love more love and happy, and thank you, thank you, thank you
                  love Torri

Comment

For all the negativity in fandom (and there's always been plenty), the ratings keep doing just fine. In the tv business, that's the bottom line. If the ratings take a huge tumble next season, I'm sure they'll start looking seriously at the reactions to the new episodes and start making changes. However, I doubt they're all that worried over yet another thread of people spewing deep bitterness over casting news and incomplete spoilers. I bet they care even less about the myriad of complaints about past decisions. It's done. People watched, bought the dvds, and the network ordered more. Maybe you didn't like it, but from a business standpoint it was successful.

I personally have little sympathy for the negativity about season 9. We haven't seen anything yet. It could be great. It could be awful. It could be a pink elephant doing the nutcracker on the event horizon. The negativity could be completely founded. It could be fear of change. We'll find out in July. Until then, there's really not much to do. TPTB aren't going to change the show because some fans think it's going to be bad based on spoilers. They're going to keep making the show they want to make. Unless the ratings take a nosedive, they have no reason to do otherwise. Making the show their way has worked for them so far.
                    *Whenever the Opportunity Arises take it in Hand*

Comment

Originally posted by auralan
                      I personally have little sympathy for the negativity about season 9. We haven't seen anything yet. It could be great. It could be awful. It could be a pink elephant doing the nutcracker on the event horizon. The negativity could be completely founded. It could be fear of change. We'll find out in July. Until then, there's really not much to do. TPTB aren't going to change the show because some fans think it's going to be bad based on spoilers. They're going to keep making the show they want to make. Unless the ratings take a nosedive, they have no reason to do otherwise. Making the show their way has worked for them so far.
                      You are absolutely correct
                      gumboYaYa: you are all beautiful, your words and openness are what make that shine. don't forget how much talent love and beauty you all have.
                      so for now, peace love love love more love and happy, and thank you, thank you, thank you
                      love Torri

Comment

For the record, I'd just like to say that my "negativity" about the upcoming season stems more from my opinions of the past few seasons than about casting changes/spoilers. Granted, that stuff hasn't helped, but I was pessimistic about S9 before any of the spoilers hit the net.

I'd also like to point out that the people who are rabidly PRO season 9 are just as full of hot air as all the anti people. You don't KNOW it's going to be a great season, you don't KNOW that everything will be awesome, you guys assume just as much as WE do. The only difference is, you're happy about it and we aren't. For those saying that we don't have any right to say negative things about the upcoming season, look in a mirror: if we don't have any rights to state our opinions, neither do you.

Most people- pro and anti- are forming their opinions based on prior experience. There's nothing wrong with that, fans have been doing it for years, but to say that one group has more of a right than the other... THAT is wrong. In a free and open forum ALL fans should be allowed to express their opinions- as long as they follow the rules dictated by Darren and the Mods. From what I can tell, most people have been doing just that- expressing their feelings without violating anyone else's rights. It's when people step in and start dictating who is and who isn't allowed to have an opinion and telling people what they can and can't say that causes trouble.

And frankly, that probably applies to the subject as well. If you want to say why you like or dislike what TPTB are doing, that's fine. But don't start telling THEM what they can and can't do with their own show. TPTB are big boys, I think they can stand a little criticism. It isn't like this is the FIRST time fans have complained.

Comment

My god, if you don't like the show, STOP WATCHING!

Daniel Jackson appears to be becoming Jack Lite with every episode. Not a good thing. Oh and please tell him to stop talking so fast in certain scenes.
                          Okay, that's just rediculous telling JM to tell MS to stop talking so fast.

Note: User's posts are rarely serious.
                          Member of the F.O.R.D. || Martouf Marty's Webpage || (LJ)

Comment

Originally posted by Pknuts
                            A minority? Let's take a look at this forum shall we? Considering the ANTI season 9 thread is 3 times bigger than the PRO season 9 thread, I'd say that's a fair indication of the feelings of the fans. Yes there are millions of viewers worldwide but how the hell do you know what their feelings are?? The best we can do is take a look at our Stargate community we have here (which we CAN identify fan attitude), and as I've pointed out, a LOT of people aren't happy. Don't quote statistics that "a hundred" fans don't the like the way the show is going and "millions" do, because, again, YOU DON'T KNOW. The only thing you can judge is the opinion on this forum.
                            You can't judge the feelings of the fans by the size of a thread. If that was the case, then you would have to assume that the majority of fans want ship, by the size of the shipper threads. All you can say about the Anti season 9 thread is that those fans are voicing thier opinion more.

I'm so sorry it's getting annoying for you! But just as supporters of the show are allowed to speak to Mr Mallozzi, so am I and those who aren't very pleased with the way the series is turning out lately. Deal with it, it's not all about the happy perfect series with lots of 'thunk' and 'ship'.
                            I agree, the series is not about "thunk" and "ship". And I will agree that there are differing opinions as to the positive or negative direction of the show and everyone has the right to express those opinions. I will also agree that whether you like the show's direction or not, you have the choice to watch or not. Some have made the choice not to watch anymore and others are taking your "wait and see" position.

Opinions are difficult to deal with sometimes. They are almost always have an emotional basis behind them. Which makes debating hard without taking comments personally. When someone disagrees with an opinion, we tend to take it as a disagreement of us personally. You made some good observations to how you feel the direction of the show is going. Others feel differently. And both opinions are right. That's what's so nice about opinions, you can't be wrong.
                            No snurching any Pictures I post!! (without my permission)

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by MartoufMarty

My god, if you don't like the show, STOP WATCHING!

Okay, that's just rediculous telling JM to tell MS to stop talking so fast.
                              Can everyone please stop telling me to "stop watching"! As I've said a hundred times, I LOVE stargate, but I'm concerned about the direction the series has been heading these last 2 years. I want the show to be good, hence why I'm going to keep watching. I'm allowed to make criticisms of the show given that this is a 'discussion board'. So no, I'm not going to "stop watching" any more than you are.

With regard to your second point, my comment wasn't completely serious. I'm not expecting anyone to tell MS to talk slower. It was a comment regarding the DJ character and how he has been developing recently.

Comment

Working...
                              X