Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

INTERVIEW: Brad Wright (Executive Producer)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

INTERVIEW: Brad Wright (Executive Producer)

AUDIO INTERVIEW:
    ALL GOOD THINGS ...
    GateWorld talks with Brad Wright

In the wake of Atlantis's cancellation we get the explanation from series co-creator Brad Wright.

READ MORE ...

Wow! Ok, I haven't partaken in the interview yet, but it's incredible that you guys had this up one day after the announcement! Truly astounding.

Good work y'all! I'm gonna go read it now...

Comment

Well, it's a very interesting interview. Thank you so much for getting it so quickly! I'm glad all the PTBs feel ok about what has happened, and I am glad that there are going to be movies, but I still feel very hurt that I'm not going to see SGA every week. I'm sure I'll like Universe and seeing it weekly will fill the void, but still, a 2 hour (if we're lucky) movie every couple years won't replace the weekly focus on the SGA characters. It won't be possible to get "Ronon episodes" or what have you anymore and I fear that movies won't be a success without a few more years of character development that a series provides.

On a more philosophical note, I can't help but wonder what this says for the future of TV? I know Star Trek went the movie route with a lot of success, and I do hope the same happens here, but I just can't shake the feeling that it won't be the same, especially since, for the moment at least, they're diresct to DVD productions.

I understand the "going out on top" theory, but I have cable so I don't have to go out and buy more TV. If this is where TV is headed as a medium, I might as well save my money and just wait for DVDs! Of course, if everyone did that, it would result in no money going to networks at all, which would mean no more TV, so I don't know how that would work.

I guess what I'm saying is I have my doubts, but I am willing to go with it for now because I love Stargate and will take it in any form they're going to give it to me in.

Again, thanks for the interview!
      sigpic

Comment

Brad Wright makes a good point. SGA ending on a high note is a good thing. This will hopefully assure many SGA movies in the future. Still it's obvious this mutual decision was more on the hands of MGM rather than SCI FI. My gut tells me the renewal of SGA was an option, but they chose this route.
        sigpic

Comment

After listening to Brad Wright I am now comfortable with the way in which Atlantis is heading. Although I am sad about the fact that Atlantis won't be on every week, at least it will have more chance of longevity through the production of movies. Great interview, Darren!

Comment

Thanks, PG15 and everyone. I've been working on this for literally the last 11 8 hours.

Brian -- Brad and I spoke a bit further after the interview, specifically about this "blame" issue. He's read some posts here, and asked that I pass along to you in particular that "it just isn't the case" that this was MGM's decision.

If anything, take away from this interview that Stargate Productions, MGM, and SCI FI all got together and made this decision as a team. They're strategizing how to keep the franchise as a whole interesting and flourishing, because it's what they all want. No one wants Atlantis to end for good because they drove it into the ground and made movies impossible.

Whether or not that would have been the case after six or seven seasons is, of course, debatable.
            Last edited by Darren; 21 August 2008, 10:29 PM.
            GateWorld Podcast - Info - iTunes - Google
            The Stargate Omnipedia - www.StargateOmnipedia.com
            Stargate Image Gallery - www.StargateGallery.com

Comment

Originally posted by Darren View Post
              Thanks, PG15 and everyone. I've been working on this for literally the last 11 hours.

Brian -- Brad and I spoke a bit further after the interview, specifically about this "blame" issue. He's read some posts here, and asked that I pass along to you in particular that "it just isn't the case" that this was MGM's decision.

If anything, take away from this interview that Stargate Productions, MGM, and SCI FI all got together and made this decision as a team. They're strategizing how to keep the franchise as a whole interesting and flourishing, because it's what they all want. No one wants Atlantis to end for good because they drove it into the ground and made movies impossible.

Whether or not that would have been the case after six or seven seasons is, of course, debatable.
              Problem is Darren, I have to run a forum where people are signing up just to attack SCI FI. I want people to know that this was not due to ratings and that SCI FI was not the sole cause. I am trying to protect SCI FI because I know how much of a good relationship MGM and SCI FI has. If that is the case, then there is no blame and we should not really point fingers but just support what we have left and hope for more to come from this franchise. If Brad Wright does read these threads, I would like him to know that he still is my favorite producer and writer for the Stargate Franchise. I have always respected his way of doing business I guess you would call it. I'm just trying to calm down from the news and am finally putting things in perspective.
              sigpic

Comment

So...wait, Brian got a personal message from Brad Wright?

Dude, cherish this moment.

Comment

Originally posted by PG15 View Post
                  So...wait, Brian got a personal message from Brad Wright?

Dude, cherish this moment.
                  I feel pretty rotten, because I was really nasty to some people on this forum, lol some deserved it though. Ok maybe not.

I just didn't want to see SCI FI attacked, since I still respect the network. People will assume it's all the networks fault. From what I read in the multiple articles it seemed MGM was the one who pulled the plug.
                  sigpic

Comment

And I will never, ever apologize or feel bad -- or suggest that anyone around here should feel bad -- for a 5-year run. That is, in television, a homerun by any definition.
                    I have to disagree with a few parts in the interview. five seasons may be a "home run" in television, but cancelling a series with a lot of potential still left in it, to me, just takes something away from that accomplishment.

It's not the case that anything is being pushed aside.
                    cutting SGA for money to make SGU isn't pushing anything aside...?

good interview though.

Comment

I saw Cross-Over, and I like it!

Comment

So there a third SG-1 movie has been confirmed? After listening to the interview I heard movies, so given that one is going to be the Atlantis follow-up, does that mean that the other is going to be SG-1 or is it going to be two Atlantis movies?
                        ...Stargate is not about the angry nerd.

-David Hewlett,
                        Gateworld Podcast Episode #8

Comment

It was confirmed at Comic-Con last month that Brad is currently writing the third SG-1 movie. MGM has not yet announced that it has been green-lit for production, though.

Comment

Originally posted by Darren View Post
                            It was confirmed at Comic-Con last month that Brad is currently writing the third SG-1 movie. MGM has not yet announced that it has been green-lit for production, though.
                            Hey Darren, is this legit...

http://www.thrfeed.com/2008/08/stargate-univer.html

Universe is official now?
                            sigpic

Comment

Yep. Looks like it's from the press release that is going out tomorrow / today (Friday).

The Hollywood Reporter was apparently given it early.

There is a bit more news coming, though. Hopefully no one else will spill it before the press release arrives and we're allowed to publish.

Comment

Working...
                              X