Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Does anyone know how powerful the Mark IX is?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Does anyone know how powerful the Mark IX is?

I was wondering how to calculate the power of the Mark IX. All we know that the strength is in Gigatons and that the vaporization radius is 100 mi (roughly). The Tsar Bomba was 50 megatons in strength and had a 15 mi vaporization radius. The Little Boy was 15 kilotons in strength and had a 2 mi vaporization radius, if any of that info is helpful.

Originally posted by startrekker
    I was wondering how to calculate the power of the Mark IX. All we know that the strength is in Gigatons and that the vaporization radius is 100 mi (roughly). The Tsar Bomba was 50 megatons in strength and had a 15 mi vaporization radius. The Little Boy was 15 kilotons in strength and had a 2 mi vaporization radius, if any of that info is helpful.
    Multi gigaton reaction capable of vaporizing a stargate, unless ofcourse there happens to be a Prior standing next to it.

Comment

What does a Prior have to do with it? or have i stumbled onto a spoiler?

Comment

the prior put a personal shield around the gate prevent it for being vaporized, then the supergate segments came through.."Beachhead"

Comment

Originally posted by Milleniumlance
          the prior put a personal shield around the gate prevent it for being vaporized, then the supergate segments came through.."Beachhead"
          The one ep ive yet to download, Dam limewire lol

Comment

Say 800 gigatons to begin with, according to former spoken estimation in the episode, and later visually suggesting multiple teratons (low end two digits range).
            Again, "multi gigatons" doesn't preclude the bomb reaching the several teratons. We're already served with a multi-megaton estimation in Redemption which led to a gigaton level explosion.

EDIT: a more precise estimation, based on this calculator, gives a yield of 812 GT for a ground airbust range of 160.9 KM (100 miles radius).

EDIT 2: Link on page 3 that demonstrates how the teraton figure is just plain wrong.
            Last edited by Mister Oragahn; 25 December 2006, 02:27 PM.
            The Al'kesh is not a warship - Info on Naqahdah & Naqahdria - Firepower of Goa'uld staff weapons - Everything about Hiveships and the Wraith - An idea about what powers Destiny...

Comment

Basic calculation if it is based on real life calculations then the bomb with 2mi vaporization radius and was 15 megatons then simple math applies, a 100mi bomb is 50 times stronger than the bomb with the 2mi vaporization radius so the same thing aplies to the tonnage of the bomb.

15 megatons x by 50 = 750 megatons of bomb.

So my guess would be the Mark IX strength is 750 megatons and its vaporization range is 100mi.

I maybe be wrong but it might be the most likely option, any thoughts.

By the way does the same numbers work with megabytes and gigabytes like 1024 kilatons in a megaton and 1024 megatons in a gigaton and so on.
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by lvlister2005
                By the way does the same numbers work with megabytes and gigabytes like 1024 kilatons in a megaton and 1024 megatons in a gigaton and so on.
                I believe a megaton is 1000 kilotons, gigaton is 1000 megatons and so on. The 1024 multiple in computing is because they use binary. So storage/memory is measured in powers of 2.

2^9 = 512
                2^10 = 1024

1024 is the closest value to 1000.
                Prometheus = X-303/BC-303
                Daedalus, Odyssey, Korolev = BC-304/DSC-304

END OF ARGUMENT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Mister Oragahn
                  Say 800 gigatons to begin with, according to former spoken estimation in the episode, and later visually suggesting multiple teratons (low end two digits range).
                  What spoken estimation in which episode? Carter said "multi gigaton" in the episode Beachhead. That could mean 1.1 gigatons, or 999.9 gigatons. If it's higher or lower, they'd say megatons or teratons.

Originally posted by Mister Oragahn
                  Again, "multi gigatons" doesn't preclude the bomb reaching the several teratons. We're already served with a multi-megaton estimation in Redemption which led to a gigaton level explosion.
                  That's because the gate exploded, which amplified the detonation. According to Ra in the movie, Naquadah amplifies a typcial explosion by a factor of 100.

So, if you're blowing up a gate, you would end up with a larger explosion than if you're not blowing up a gate.

The Mk IX was probably in the single-digit gigaton range, but if it had blown up the Stargate on Kallana, it would have been much bigger.
                  Jarnin's Law of StarGate:

1. As a StarGate discussion grows longer, the probability of someone mentioning the Furlings approaches one.

Comment

as you increase the "tonage" of a nuke you also increase the radius of the vaporization blast wave. the amount of "tonage" used does not directly corolate to the vaporization radius...

Comment

Originally posted by Jarnin
                      What spoken estimation in which episode? Carter said "multi gigaton" in the episode Beachhead. That could mean 1.1 gigatons, or 999.9 gigatons. If it's higher or lower, they'd say megatons or teratons.
                      No. See my former post and below.

That's because the gate exploded, which amplified the detonation. According to Ra in the movie, Naquadah amplifies a typcial explosion by a factor of 100.

So, if you're blowing up a gate, you would end up with a larger explosion than if you're not blowing up a gate.

The Mk IX was probably in the single-digit gigaton range, but if it had blown up the Stargate on Kallana, it would have been much bigger.
                      Redemption part 1:

CARTER
                      Just bad and worse, Sir. We're talking about a blast two to three thousand megatons.
                      See, she's sticking with the megatons despite the yield being in the gigaton range.
                      No need to dig deeper.
                      The Al'kesh is not a warship - Info on Naqahdah & Naqahdria - Firepower of Goa'uld staff weapons - Everything about Hiveships and the Wraith - An idea about what powers Destiny...

Comment

Originally posted by essexgunner2003 View Post
                        The one ep ive yet to download, Dam limewire lol

You use Limewire?
                        Bad Move!

Comment

a mark 9 nuke have a yeald of 11 gig

i just this site to calculate http://www.stardestroyer.net/Empire/Science/Nuke.html
                          sorry cant spell

Comment

thats powerful anyway

Comment

Originally posted by kefke20 View Post
                              a mark 9 nuke have a yeald of 11 gig

i just this site to calculate http://www.stardestroyer.net/Empire/Science/Nuke.html
                              how did you get 11??? :s when i used it i got 200 - 300 gigatons...for a 100km fireball radius...roughly
                              Robert Jastrow (self-proclaimed agnostic): "For the scientist who has lived by his faith in the power of reason, the story ends like a bad dream. He has scaled the mountains of ignorance; he is about to conquer the highest peak; as he pulls himself over the final rock, he is greeted by a band of theologians who have been sitting there for centuries."

Comment

Working...
                              X