Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is there any info on what would have been the nonSG1 Stargate II and Stargate III ?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It is my understanding that Devlin and Emmerich SOLD their rights to Stargate, MGM didn't steal it.

As for ID4 being Part 3? What would have been Part 2?
    On fighting:
    Farrah: "A swordsman does not fear death, if he dies with honor."
    Dr. Who: "Then he's an idiot."

Comment

I am sure there is someone on this forum that could give you a detailed anaylisis including what direction each side thought the franchise should go.
      Let's hope they show up soon !

ID and G have nothing to do with the plans they may (or may not) have had for Stargate sequels
      Your the only one I've ever seen claim that ID4 had nothing to do with Stargate. I thought it was general knowledge that ID4 WAS the reworked script for Stargate III. Almost everyone I've met online seems to agree with this point.

See this thread Dean Devlin and his Stargate Trilogy
      Thanks but I'm not really interested in a five page thread arguing why Party A shouldn't have sold the rights to Party B.

Film Sequels:
      Book 1 (1995) - Stargate: Rebellion
      Book 2 (1996) - Stargate: Retaliation
      Book 3 (1997) - Stargate: Retribution
      Book 4 (1998) - Stargate: Reconnaisance
      Book 5 (1999) - Stargate: Resistance
      Sorry I just don't buy these as the planned movie squels. I think this is something Ron just signed off on for an extra check. I mean the author thought Jack was in the Marines !!!

Comment

I know a lot about Stargate and I have never heard about ID being linked to SG

I also think you should be more polite to the people here
        gumboYaYa: you are all beautiful, your words and openness are what make that shine. don't forget how much talent love and beauty you all have.
        so for now, peace love love love more love and happy, and thank you, thank you, thank you
        love Torri

Comment

I'm happy with the way things turned out...

In my opinion, no matter how hard they tried, MGM couldn't produce a new movie that appealed to both fans of the series and total newcomers. It'd be impossible. They'd have either way too much backstory, or not nearly enough.

Comment

Originally posted by Parallaxis
            Your the only one I've ever seen claim that ID4 had nothing to do with Stargate. I thought it was general knowledge that ID4 WAS the reworked script for Stargate III. Almost everyone I've met online seems to agree with this point.
            Uh huh. People you met online. Very reliable sources, those. Especially when it's only people on this board. It's sort of like the game Telephone you played as a kid. DD and RE planned to do SG2 and SG3, but instead did Godzilla and ID4. That gets perverted down the line into ID4 being an SG movie.

Have you ever seen ANYWHERE else that has said that ID4 was to be an SG movie originally? Show me a reliable source where it says this, and I'll apologize and concede the point.
            "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

I read the other thread, and from some extra research, I've been able to assertain info about the proposed trilogies. First:

The total history of Stargate

An Egyptologist sent the stargate story-concept in 1984 to Roland Emmerich and Dean Devlin involving his theories about the pyramids being bases for spaceships etc. Roland Emmerich and Dean Devlin rejected the idea.

In 1994, Stargate (the film) was released by Roland Emmerich and Dean Devlin. The egyptologist who pitched the idea sued Roland Emmerich and Dean Devlin- The issue was resolved out of court - money settlement.

"Stargate" (1994) was originally planned to be the first part of a trilogy. They approached MGM to get the film out there - they sold the rights to MGM.

Roland Emmerich and Dean Devlin wanted Stargate II and III, but MGM wanted SG-1, and since MGM had the rights, Stargate SG-1 was created. Roland Emmerich and Dean Devlin had nothing to do with SG-1, and heavily resent SG-1's creation.

Roland Emmerich and Dean Devlin moved on, making Independence Day and Godzilla respectively.

The Proposed Sequels

Dean Devlin said in an interview that Independence day was a reworked version of a concept for a proposed sequel to a previous movie he'd made which couldn't happen (Stargate III's concept + H.G.Wells' War of the Worlds = Independence Day). Research anywhere about Dean Devlin's movies where he would have liked a sequel of this catergory - Stargate is the only match (read further down the page)

Stargate II

-Was to focus on linking Mayan pyramids to Egyptian pyramids
              -Linking more earth mythology together
              -Ra somehow survives
              -His symbiote is alot bigger than SG-1 goa'uld symbiotes
              -Jack is re-united with Daniel Children-of-the-gods style, Sha're and Skaara are taken etc. but everything is how it was in the original Stargate movie i.e. General West instead of Hammond etc.

Stargate III

-"Independence day" (Roland Emmerich) is a reworked idea of Stargate III
              -Skaara and Sha're are saved, then Independence Day comes into play
              -Ra's Jaffa invade earth to get back at us for killing Ra.
              -Will Smith's Captain Steven Hiller and Jeff Goldblum's David Levinson were Colonel O'neil and Daniel Jackson respectively. Characters were largely modified enough to distance the character formats from the format of "Stargate" - Colonel was demoted to Captain, and Daniel the archeologist was turned into an ex-scientist.

Meh. . .

I personally dont want these movies to go ahead as if it was linked to the SG-1 stargate idea - I'd much rather they changed the name to Gate or something, changed some of the character personalities and names, and just released the trilogy from the beginning all over again. The show made loads of changes to the way the gate works - i.e. no massive shaking in the gateroom and no coming flying out of the gate covered in ice on the other side and much shorter journey travelling through the wormhole etc. Even having Kurt Russel and James Spader as the main roles again, it would allow Roland Emmerich and Dean Devlin to complete thier trilogy without being all "AGH THIS KILLS SG-1".

Besides, SG-1 has moved away from the Goa'uld, with a new enemy in the midst, and Atlantis has further taken the story away from the roots of SG-1. All the Goa'uld stuff is out of the way and with the time it takes to recreate the trilogy (at least 3 years if the project began now), it will feel like a different story, but with some of the same features as SG-1.

Plus with all the new-age special effects and a chance to re-write the original script, i think it would definately be worth watching, and might even be a hit - Stargate I 's Portayal of the Goa'uld is decidedly different from that of the series, so it will definately feel different.

Comment

I would love to see thier take on Stargate movies. It wouldn't hurt to have two forms of the story
                Tis No Fool to lose what He can not keep, To gain what he will never Lose

Comment

Damn Vinny, just when I was about to give in and admit to being crazy.

What Vinny posted, is what I've always heard.

Although to be fair, I did look online for evidence to back that up and couldn't find any.

So I guess you'll have to be judge about what you want to believe.

Comment

I personally loved the Stargate movie but was glad they didn't make the other two. I thought the movie stood well on its own. I am fine with the fact that they made it a series instead.
                    "Embress your life, find what it is that you love, and pursue it with all your soul. For if you do not, when you come to die, you will find that you have not lived."

A character from the novel "Chindi" by Jack McDevitt

Remember always that you not only have the right to be an individual, you have an obligation to be one.
                    'Eleanor Roosevelt'
                    Individuality is freedom lived.
                    'Janis Joplin'

Comment

Dean Devlin said it in some interview, at the premier for one of his newer movies, they asked him about independence day's success or something along those lines.

I genuinely would like to see where the original trilogy went, it wouldn't really screw up SG-1 for me - with RDA's O'neill being 100% different from Kurt Russel's, and with different actor playing every role (aside from Skaara and Kasuf) I would see it as a completely different show.

I think the SG-1 team should redo the original movie but this time in SG-1 style with a reworked script and whatnot, BUT Dean Devlin should also do his own version of it, more in with his 'vision' for stargate, with his own specifically modified script. That would definately distance the show from the movies, allowing both stories to go thier seperate ways.

Comment

Redo Stargate with RDA and Shanks. could work. but no point. Rather have a new movie than a remake.. perhaps an independance day feel too it, but um, not exactly... lets say, The Jaffa nation got angry and came after us. And they happened to find anubis's Mothership, and they send it over Washington, and bam kablewie Oniel and Daniel run their F302 into the Jaffa ship and teal would be all like.. "Many have said that, but you are the first I believe could do it." and bam we defeat the jaffa overthrwo their government and teal'c is their governor because they are a state hahaha.
                        http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iGgHAXalVyM

"And those who are prideful and refuse to bow down shall be laid low and made onto dust." Then Shall Fall Scifi!

If you don't worship Metonic... your parents won't love you anymore.. well they dont now...

Comment

Originally posted by Vinny
                          I think the SG-1 team should redo the original movie but this time in SG-1 style with a reworked script and whatnot, BUT Dean Devlin should also do his own version of it, more in with his 'vision' for stargate, with his own specifically modified script. That would definately distance the show from the movies, allowing both stories to go thier seperate ways.
                          Just so we're all clear I suggested that few days ago!
                          But if they do do a Stargate SG-1 Movie, it should be direct to DVD.
                          And maby change the Dev's Movies names to "The" Stargate, or even have a new name to the 2nd, and 3rd like Ra's Revenage.

And it would not kill SG-1, both storys have a strong fan base, and any new comer will find that out soon anuff.
                          The Doctor: [leafing through a teen magazine] That won't last. He's gay and she's an alien.

Carter: You saying that it could be boobytraped?
                          Teal'C: Booby?

May the Force Be With You

Comment

Working...
                          X