Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by fugiman View Post
    when did that happen?
    Probably referring to the 2nd episode in season 2 with the Wraith computer virus. Not sure though if the Daedalus still had the ZPM at the time, I thought they'd already installed it in Atlantis.

Although I believe the Daedalus was only able to hide in the sun's corona (and not in the core of the sun) or something for a very short amount of time (kinda like Cronus's Ha'tak in 'Enemies') before being forced to exit otherwise it'd have sustained heavy damage.

Comment

As the Odyssy is way more manuverable, has better sheilding and has very impressive weaponry in comparason to the star destroyer. While evading the star destroyer's attack, the Odyssey would open fire on the bridge disalingthe star destroyer in moments. If they can't be bothered they can just beam a Gate Buster on boad the star destroyer.

so Odyssey all the way 85%-95% chance of victory

Spoiler:

Carter?

Sir, this is the 5th incoming wormhole in the last hour & a half

Ok, I'm here 2 hours early, when did you get here?

I... haven't left yet

Carter, didn't I ORDER you to get a life?

---------------------------------------------------

A fools paradise is a wise mans prison

Never judge a book by it's cover

One mans ceiling is another mans floor

Never...run with sissors?

Comment

Originally posted by .jolinar. View Post
        As the Odyssy is way more manuverable, has better sheilding and has very impressive weaponry in comparason to the star destroyer. While evading the star destroyer's attack, the Odyssey would open fire on the bridge disalingthe star destroyer in moments. If they can't be bothered they can just beam a Gate Buster on boad the star destroyer.

so Odyssey all the way 85%-95% chance of victory
        I disagree

The shields on the Star Destroyer would prevent beaming a nuke and the Star Destroyer has so many weapons on it that I dont think it can miss
        Vote Anubis for President in 2012
        A Face you Can Trust
        sigpic
        So whats the worst that could happen?
        Supporter of the "It's Asgard, NOT AsgUard !" campaign
        It is better to debate a question without settling it than to settle a question without debating it.

Comment

Two main factors:

How maneuvarable is the BC-304 model battlecruiser (Able to completely reverse direction from max thrust in about 10-20 seconds in 'unending', which is pretty impressive, and hints at greater maneuvarability than is currently utilised by frankly inept tacticians)

How much stress does the ZPM offload from shield impacts.

While i will agree that the new Asgard energy beam weapons probably have enough punch to either bypass or significantly penetrate a standard Star Destroyer's shields (Not a super star destroyer), the 304 will have to either dodge or survive a sh*tload of fire from the destroyer if they go head-to-head.

However, if the 304 were to attack from an alternative vector, say direct up underneat or from behind, where defenses are significantly lower (Most of a destroyer's weapons are concentrated on the equatorial ridge and the rear-centre reinforced section behind the hypermatter reactor), then the 304 would probably have an edge if it could hit either the reactor or the engine array.

Personally, i think it is entirely a tactics issue. There are hundreds of strategies (Which the inept 304 commanders never consider) that could cripple a star destroyer.

For example, they could power down everything and entice the destroyer to pick them up for 'inspection'. Once inside the shield, they power up and either beat the living daylights out of them with the asgard cannons, or beam a mark 9 onto some section of the ship.

Personally, I think the 304 carries the technological capability to either destroy or cripple a star destroyer, but the pilots and commanders dont have the imagination or training to get space combat tactics right. The Empire, although uninmaginative, does have the edge on space combat experience.

Comment

Originally posted by Arania View Post
            Two main factors:

How maneuvarable is the BC-304 model battlecruiser (Able to completely reverse direction from max thrust in about 10-20 seconds in 'unending', which is pretty impressive, and hints at greater maneuvarability than is currently utilised by frankly inept tacticians)

How much stress does the ZPM offload from shield impacts.

While i will agree that the new Asgard energy beam weapons probably have enough punch to either bypass or significantly penetrate a standard Star Destroyer's shields (Not a super star destroyer), the 304 will have to either dodge or survive a sh*tload of fire from the destroyer if they go head-to-head.

However, if the 304 were to attack from an alternative vector, say direct up underneat or from behind, where defenses are significantly lower (Most of a destroyer's weapons are concentrated on the equatorial ridge and the rear-centre reinforced section behind the hypermatter reactor), then the 304 would probably have an edge if it could hit either the reactor or the engine array.

Personally, i think it is entirely a tactics issue. There are hundreds of strategies (Which the inept 304 commanders never consider) that could cripple a star destroyer.

For example, they could power down everything and entice the destroyer to pick them up for 'inspection'. Once inside the shield, they power up and either beat the living daylights out of them with the asgard cannons, or beam a mark 9 onto some section of the ship.

Personally, I think the 304 carries the technological capability to either destroy or cripple a star destroyer, but the pilots and commanders dont have the imagination or training to get space combat tactics right. The Empire, although uninmaginative, does have the edge on space combat experience.
            So your picking the __________ right
            A Face you Can Trust
            sigpic
            It is better to debate a question without settling it than to settle a question without debating it.

Comment

So your picking the __________ right
              Odessey, if and only if the commanders use something other than the 'fly straight at them and hope we survive' tactic. Otherwise the Star Destroyer will beat the stuffing out of them hands down, 304's just dont have enough endurance for that amount of firepower.

Comment

Originally posted by Lord of Nightmares View Post
                It's 'only' multi-gigaton. And those aren't exactly standard issue. And it's highly unlikely that they'd be able to beam one onboard a Star Destroyer, since that vessel has its shields online at all times.

And the Executor wasn't taken out by an X-Wing, it was an A-Wing (and even then, it didn't exactly take out the ship directly, but rather caused a chain of events which resulted in its eventual destruction). What happened was that the Rebellion fleet was ordered to concentrate their firepower on the Executor and were successful in knocking out its shield generator (don't forget just how powerful turbolasers and even standard lasers equipped on fighters are supposed to be in the SW universe). The heavily damaged A-Wing then crashed into the primary bridge, taking out everyone within and thus causing the Executor to lose control of its orbit.

There was actually a secondary bridge onboard the Executor, but before they could divert all primary controls to the bridge, the artificial gravity of the Death Star had already pulled the vessel in, causing it to impact with the stations' surface and thus destroying it. If the Executor hadn't been in such close proximity to the second Death Star, the crew would've been able to reacquire control of the ship and bring it back into the fight.

And I don't recall an asteroid destroying any Star Destroyer in the movies, at least not onscreen.
                http://www.st-v-sw.net/STSWbta.html

Euff said.

Comment

Originally posted by Lord of Nightmares View Post
                  Probably referring to the 2nd episode in season 2 with the Wraith computer virus. Not sure though if the Daedalus still had the ZPM at the time, I thought they'd already installed it in Atlantis.

No it was Echoes

http://gateworld.net/atlantis/s3/312.shtml

They had to stop the sun's rays from wiping out life on the planet so used the Daedalus's shields to deflect them with the help of the ZPM

Comment

I disagree

The shields on the Star Destroyer would prevent beaming a nuke and the Star Destroyer has so many weapons on it that I dont think it can miss
                    What makes you think we couldn't beam a nuke onboard? And if you've seen how crap shots the star destroyers are and how manuverable the Odyssey is you'll change your mind
                    Last edited by .jolinar.; 29 March 2007, 12:41 AM.

Spoiler:

Carter?

Sir, this is the 5th incoming wormhole in the last hour & a half

Ok, I'm here 2 hours early, when did you get here?

I... haven't left yet

Carter, didn't I ORDER you to get a life?

---------------------------------------------------

A fools paradise is a wise mans prison

Never judge a book by it's cover

One mans ceiling is another mans floor

Never...run with sissors?

Comment

I've see a lot of Deddy vs things but I was wondering who would win

Odyssey with Unending Upgrades vs a Star Destroyer from Galatic Empire

I got to go with a Star Destroyer I mean they have tons of fire power and great shields even though it would be a great fight

and lets just that one had the advantage over the other then lets say how meny would it take to beat the other?
                      Just how many of these versus involving the Odywank we're going to get now?
                      You realize you're talking about a ship that has all sorts of nukes, railguns, full asgard energy beams, full asgard hyperdrive, full asgard shield, time dilation capability, all that powered by a near full ZPM (remember, the thing that can bust so many worlds by simply exploding)?
                      The Al'kesh is not a warship - Info on Naqahdah & Naqahdria - Firepower of Goa'uld staff weapons - Everything about Hiveships and the Wraith - An idea about what powers Destiny...

Comment

oddesey

It may be smaller, but its weapons could punch through ori ship shields in a few shots. turbolasers arent that advanced. Heck, the US military can make lasers right now. And the weapons on a star destroyer doesn't do that much damage in ship to ship combat.
                        sigpic

http://www.fanfiction.net/s/4907261/1/Golden_Dawn

^ My new fanfic ^ Enjoy and please subscribe!

(Shameless advertising ftw)

Comment

Regular Star Destroyer
                          50 heavy turbolaser batteries
                          50 heavy turbolaser cannons
                          20 enhanced ion cannons
                          10 class III tractor beam projectors
                          72 Tie Fighers

I think that might punch a hole thorugh the Odyssey

And if thats not enough lets see the Odyssey face a Super Star Destroyer

Super Star Destroyer has
                          250 turbolaser batteries
                          250 heavy turbolaser batteries
                          250 ion cannons
                          250 concussion missle tubes
                          144 Tie Fighters

So I'm pretty sure the Odyssey would get blown out of the water because they don't have the weapons to match the Star Destroeyer
                          Last edited by fugiman; 28 March 2007, 02:56 PM.
                          A Face you Can Trust
                          sigpic

Comment

Yes they dont have the firepower to stand up to a Star Destroyer if both a standing still and trying to gun the other down but the Odyssey is faster, smaller (hard to hit and the SW turbocannons are notoriously bad at hitting anything smaller then a capital ship), more maneuverable (even harder to hit when flying at 0,5c in evasive patterns), has strong shields for its size (capable of taking severe punishment, atleast enough to get hit by the odd Turbocannon) and to top that off it has both beaming tech which may or may not be usefull and they have very powerful Asgaard weaponry which I personally believe would have no trouble penetrating the Star Destroyers defences in vital areas when using focussed fire.
                            The Tie fighters wont be a problem for the Odyssey, the Rail guns are godly for taking out fighters, look at the fights with the Wraith, the only reason figthers become a problem there is due to the fact that the wraith can launch hundreds of darts from a single hive.

Overall I believe that the outcome depends on the captains and crews level of experience but ships are strong in certain areas and weak in others. If Caldwell commanded the Odyssey there would be no doubt who would win though, Caldwell dosnt know the meaning of the word evasive ^^, he is a great character but he sucks as a ship captain.
                            On the other hand with Landry and the crew from unending I could very well see the Odyssey coming out victoriously.

Comment

They might be powerful in the SG Universe but the SW Universe it might be nothing.
                              You have typed the very reason why this is a REALLY stupid topic. Star Wars never followed ANY kind of realistic physics at ALL, or made any kind of attempt to do so. It was complete "magic", nothing was ever explained and we have no numbers or names for any of the real weapons and shield systems in Star Wars.

For that reason, this comparison is totally pointless.
                              www.theamericanright.com

A website by the people, for the people.

Comment

The Imperial Star Destroyer is capable of reducing an entire world's surface to slag in an hour. This operation is known as the Base Delta Zero operation and references to it can be found through the Star Wars novels and Expanded Universe.

In order to carry out such a feat, they must have heavy weapons that can deliver multi-gigaton (in fact, teraton-level) firepower. From the movies, we know from the Empire Strikes Back that the Empire was vapourising asteroids with guns that were definitely not their heavy weapons, so even an ISD's lighter guns weigh into the multi-megaton range.

Whilst the upgraded Odyssey does pack weapons that can bust even an Ori ship's shields, she will be going up against a vessel that can not only dish out firepower in what amounts to teraton-level firepower but can also absorb it. ISDs also brim with weapon emplacements so the Odyssey will have a tough time dodging them all. I can see the Odyssey maybe doing some damage to the ISD, but in the end, she'll be destroyed.
                                To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield- Tennyson
                                http://darthtimon.wix.com/meerkatmusings
                                http://meerkatmusings.co.uk/

Comment

Working...
                                X