Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

you think gender will turn out to be unique to life on earth?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Honestly, I do not think gender will be unique to life on Earth. Many high functioning species seem to reproduce sexually, with each gender having a role in ensuring the survival of the next generation. Mind, this is just little old non-scientific me adding my two cents. I wish I had the obvious scientific knowledge of Urban Spaceman. US, your answers were all insightful and intelligent!
    sigpic
    Sig by Bay, for my birthday. Find me on fanfiction.net, AO3, or fictionpress.com. If you are over 18, I invite you to read my blogs. On Blogger: Other Worlds, Other Loves On Wordpress: Other Worlds, Other Loves.
    Fennyman: "Who is that?" Henslowe: "Nobody. The author." (From Shakespeare in Love)

Comment

Gender will not be unique to earth. It's obvious, there is life out there in space, life needs to reproduce; life needs a fertilizer and a womb in order for them to produce life. How life starts is a mystery but how life produces isn't; the fertilizer and the person holding the womb may be different genders or they may be gender neutral; either way, there are two roles and those two roles carry obvious differences that could be considered genders.

In argument as to whether man or woman is different; I think neither because the differences between them have become so small. How we think is dependent on the experiences we have rather then the genders we are. Sure, there will be some differences due to the way we look and the way we speak but if we make everybody gender neutral and remove their defining features then the only thing that would matter is how they speak.

Still, there will always be the differences and the stigmatism that comes with genders. Men = reproducers while woman = wombs in production terms.
      Back from the grave.

Comment

Originally posted by Zombies Rise from the Sea View Post

How life starts is a mystery
        Becoming less and less mysterious, however. One hypothesis that's gaining popularity is the comet-seeding theory (Panspermia). It suggests that bacteria lying dormant (or perhaps even something more basic; amino acids) are present throughout the structures of comets, meteors and asteroids in space, and that whenever they impact a planet, some of these bacteria (or amino acids, whatever) survive the impact and, if met with ideal conditions can become active (in the case of bacteria) or (in the case of amino acids) can over time react with the sunlight and atmospheric gases to form more complex structures, eventually taking the form of viruses, bacteria etc etc.

Exogenesis is another theory but that would require directed seeding of life (such as was done by the Ancients) by non-native life-forms (ie, extra-terrestrials).
        Beware of he who would deny you access to information, for in his heart he dreams himself your master.

Comment

Originally posted by slimjim View Post
          a little bit of received wisdom I've heard from a lot of people over the years is that you tend to get more male artists, scientists and philosophers is because men are usually more single minded and are more willing then women to put their entire being into writing great screen play or whatever.... do you think that's at all fair?
          Men and woman doing science degrees is about the same but a lot of women drop out of the jobs after that probably because they couldn't do the heavy work load and have a family at the same time.

Comment

Working...
          X