Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Everything you ever wanted to know about Hiveships/Wraith.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

how big is a hive?
    also air resistance friction doesnt seem to exist in stargate. in vegas a dart went into the atmosphere just fine
    even that thing had reentry fire. you can see that.

tom, it might HELP. but you realise you'd need significant reduction of required energy ?

Comment

The F-302 canceled out 90% of inertial forces, and Carter told the pilots to still be careful, or something along those lines, implying that the 302 dampeners aren't as good as Death glider ones from which they were reverse engineered. Q.E.D. Inertial dampeners may cancel out even larger percentages of a ship's mass.

Gravity and inertial are after all the same thing, and gravity doesn't affect subspace, so wrap a ship in some sort of handwavium subspace field, use the same tech that keeps the laws of physics in place in hyperspace inside the ship and tada!

A Hive may actually be almost totally unaffected by gravity. Now that I think about it, it does explain why ships take off and land so easily.

Comment

how can it be 11 km long. if so then judging from the comparison from allies a 304 is 1 km long.
        R.I.P Stargate 1994-2009

Comment

Concept art pegs it at 9 km, the actual model pegs it at about 3 km I think, and the show puts it at everything in between.

Comment

well for now im going by this thread placing it at about 5.5 km
            R.I.P Stargate 1994-2009

Comment

The guys that made the FX model for it said it was intended to be 11km long in an interview. Given how often SG screws up ship scaling I'll take a hard figure like that from a credible source over any one off fan scaling made from a single episode.

The show is simply not self consistent enough with ship scalings to make that kind of VFX analysis really reliable. It should only ever be used when there's no better alternative in my opinion, and even then preferably with at least multiple episodes agreeing on a general range of size.

Comment

the problem is, credible sources have been wrong in the past most prominently manifested in the dvd magazines which place the ori ship's width as over twice that of the supergate. there's also the wraith cruiser being 2500 meters long
                R.I.P Stargate 1994-2009

Comment

Never, ever, ever, ever trust the magazines. Does anyone have scans of those things, I remember seeing one of the Odyssey floating about that said ships had to map hyperspace tunnels and other ridiculous hogwash.

Comment

i think its possible to produce a rough estimate of the hive length if we know the 304s size because per the last man it appears that one of the generator domes is at most twice as large as a 304
                    R.I.P Stargate 1994-2009

Comment

Originally posted by asdf1239 View Post
                      i think its possible to produce a rough estimate of the hive length if we know the 304s size because per the last man it appears that one of the generator domes is at most twice as large as a 304
                      No we cant!!!!

WE CANT SCALE ANYTHING IN SG CORRECTLY
                      as the people behind the cgi and animations have never had a set scale for anything every ep is diffrent from another and there will never be a consensis on this subject CLEARLY the ships in Stargate SG1 SGA and SGU can not be scaled due to the CGI teams inapt ability to stick to scale its that simple people.

Comment

Originally posted by Crazy Tom View Post
                        Never, ever, ever, ever trust the magazines. Does anyone have scans of those things, I remember seeing one of the Odyssey floating about that said ships had to map hyperspace tunnels and other ridiculous hogwash.
                        Indeed never trust magazines or Wiki or any other source if it doesnt come from the mouth of the original Artist who made the mesh and If said artist even followed a set scale when he built the model.

Comment

ok, can we make up a blatantly fanon set of numbers
                          R.I.P Stargate 1994-2009

Comment

Comment

actually we CAN scale if it's right most of the time.

a hive to my knowledge however has never been correctly scaled. and i believe that in the show they said it's 11km.

Comment

well it's 11 km then i guess
                                R.I.P Stargate 1994-2009

Comment

Working...
                                X