Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

That sounds really interesting. Nice drawings

Comment

What are you making it out of? Will it be heavily scaled down to less than a couple feet? I thought about doing this once, but I've not got the skills to do it. It'd just end up a lump of cardboard, in the rough shape of Atlantis.

Comment

to clear things up i am talking about building a life sized replica of atlantis. THATS RIGHT A LIFE SIZED REPLICA.

And i wouldnt use cardboard, probaly titanium, aluminium, steel, carbon and tungsten...just to name a few

check out
        http://forum.gateworld.net/showthrea...86#post9494686
        and
        http://forum.gateworld.net/showthread.php?t=62118
        for more info!

Comment

Originally posted by escyos View Post
          to clear things up i am talking about building a life sized replica of atlantis. THATS RIGHT A LIFE SIZED REPLICA.

And i wouldnt use cardboard, probaly titanium, aluminium, steel, carbon and tungsten...just to name a few

check out
          http://forum.gateworld.net/showthrea...86#post9494686
          and
          http://forum.gateworld.net/showthread.php?t=62118
          for more info!
          A life sized replica? ... Are you insane? Unless you're a multi millionaire, you can't afford construction costs, metal, workers, or even be able to buy some land to build it on!
          Well. This idea seems rather silly now.

Comment

Originally posted by Automission View Post
            A life sized replica? ... Are you insane? Unless you're a multi millionaire, you can't afford construction costs, metal, workers, or even be able to buy some land to build it on!
            Well. This idea seems rather silly now.
            Yes a life sized replica and yes i am insane....but thats not why im doing it...and besides atlantis will have a function that could get funding from various sources.....im not building it now....just planning it and so forth.....even if we started building it now with unlimited resources i doubt it would be completed before i die of old age.....

and its gonna be on water not land, international waters to be precise which means that land wouldnt have to be bought nor building restrictions...albiet the resources would have to be transported out there but thats a matter for someone else to stress over

oh and by international waters i mean near australia......NOT america

Comment

Erm...

- This will cost 100's of millions of dollars to construct at todays prices. Who is funding it?
              - I'm intrigued though that you mention "some other function", will it be anything like Sealand?
              - If it's in International Waters, some pesky pirates or "Rogue States" might be troublesome, have you considered this?

Interesting though, do tell us more!
              Mongoletsi is bigger than hip...hop...

Comment

oh and by international waters i mean near australia......NOT america
                lol

you tell em

Enjoying Stargate's Technobabble since 1997

If you like the Gateworld podcast be sure to listen the The 5th Race Podcast for a fan's view of the Stargate Franchise! and join the forums while you at it![/CENTER]

Comment

well many companies could fund this, by involving themselves they can place there businesses on the city (no massive advertising signs though)
                  governments would fund it because it will be a place of international co-operation
                  environmentalist groups would fund it because the Atlanteans will be carbon neutral and endeavour to change the world too
                  regular people will fund it
                  stargate fans will fund it
                  billionaires and celebrities trying to look like good people will fund it
                  etc etc

and as for those pesky pirates or 'rogue states' well with funding from governments, the interntional military contingent on Atlantis will take care of them (although not with drones......im still working on that one...)

Comment

well many companies could fund this, by involving themselves they can place there businesses on the city (no massive advertising signs though)
                    governments would fund it because it will be a place of international co-operation
                    environmentalist groups would fund it because the Atlanteans will be carbon neutral and endeavour to change the world too
                    regular people will fund it
                    stargate fans will fund it
                    billionaires and celebrities trying to look like good people will fund it
                    etc etc

and as for those pesky pirates or 'rogue states' well with funding from governments, the interntional military contingent on Atlantis will take care of them (although not with drones......im still working on that one...)

... Are you serious? Is he/she being serious?
                    Any company who funded it would want a massive sign on the side, or they wouldn't fund it. Nor would they set up business there, as it'd be one hell of a job to import/export whatever they produce, or to just work out of.
                    You say Environmentalists would fund it due to it being carbon neutral, but the damage done building it would cause them to disagree.

Fans may fund it, but they won't provide anywhere near enough money to even carpet the entire place, should it get built. Nor would celebrities fund it to look good, as it's not a looking good thing.

It's not a charity or such, it's just one big fan made city. I doubt they'd throw their money away. Oh, and you expect to have a military unit on there? It'd have to be massive, and again constant wages to be paid, by who?
                    The fans of the show? I doubt it. You'd only get a good upkeep if it became a massive housing complex. Also, how would you deal with energy, generators or cables running under the sea to it? What about waste management, etc?

I don't mean to put it down so much, I'm just saying how many problems there would be with such a project, so many things to consider before starting it.

Comment

Originally posted by Automission View Post
                      ... Are you serious? Is he/she being serious?
                      Any company who funded it would want a massive sign on the side, or they wouldn't fund it. Nor would they set up business there, as it'd be one hell of a job to import/export whatever they produce, or to just work out of.
                      You say Environmentalists would fund it due to it being carbon neutral, but the damage done building it would cause them to disagree.

Fans may fund it, but they won't provide anywhere near enough money to even carpet the entire place, should it get built. Nor would celebrities fund it to look good, as it's not a looking good thing.

It's not a charity or such, it's just one big fan made city. I doubt they'd throw their money away. Oh, and you expect to have a military unit on there? It'd have to be massive, and again constant wages to be paid, by who?
                      The fans of the show? I doubt it. You'd only get a good upkeep if it became a massive housing complex. Also, how would you deal with energy, generators or cables running under the sea to it? What about waste management, etc?

I don't mean to put it down so much, I'm just saying how many problems there would be with such a project, so many things to consider before starting it.
                      well if everyone thought this way then nothing would get done now would it.....
                      First of all its HE and yes i am serious
                      by businesses i dont mean McDonalds or anything like that. Large corporations that deal with computer technologies and such would like to set up labs there, why wouldnt they, they would be part of something huge. Also why put a giant sign on the side that chances are will never be seen? (dont answer that, its rhetorical)

As for importing things, well the city will be almost entirely self-sufficient, barring a few irregularities. Water collected through rain and desalination (i know, 'its bad' and 'hurts the fishes' or something along those lines) food produced and prepared on site, various tools could be made in the city as well.

Power will be from Solar panels, wind turbines, (lightning rods), even a few 'green' generators so pollution wouldnt be much of a problem. All construction will be done in the most environmentally sound way as possible and transport will also be done eco-friendly.

Waste can be reused, food scraps as fertiliser and the rest can be stored and left to break down producing methane for more power. The leftovers will have to be incinerted (another power source?) or removed from the city.

Living in the city would not be free, yes wages would have to be paid but if the city produces revenue from the many businesses that are there then theres no problem

Security would be tight, no one can come and go as they please, everything and everyone is searched thoroughly before entrance to the city. Thousands of security cameras, motion sensors, radar, sonar, anti-aircraft guns, SAM sites, anti-ballistics weaponry and several security checkpoints throughout the city. (all of which cannot be under the control of any single person whatsoever)
                      Also complete background checks on all occupants, any questionable records will prevent access to the city.

If the fans so wish to fund this then so be it, i know i am; sure i only have a fraction of what it would take to completely build it, i feel as though this might just get the world to stop ***ing whinging and buck up

(By the way when i say fraction im not talking anything below a 9 figure number so yea i think it might just happen)

Dont doubt our race....

Comment

I'm sorry but there's so many holes in this plan, and it's clear you're making it up as you go along.

I'll probably get a mod snip or warning about being negative, but c'mon mate.

- What would the purpose be?
                        - What rationale would you pitch to investors?

I cannot see any reason that anybody - apart from fans - would ever want to build a full-scale replica of Atlantis. Why would they?

You're basically talking about building an experimental micro-nation, big on sustainability and security. Fine, that could be an interesting experiment. But why must it be housed in a massive replica of a flying city? I mean, there's plenty of this kind of thing happening already in Antartica.

Comment

If you had bothered to read everything i have written you would know that as of now we are just DISCUSSING how to get things done. i also seriously doubt anyone will want to invest in it, as it is too long term and most likely will not provide any revenue to these investors.

As of now we are planning and discussing...keep that in mind instead of shooting the idea down because there are a few holes in a plan which is INCOMPLETE

Comment

Ah, hypothetical discussion. Cool. I misunderstood and thought you actualy believed it was possible and achievable. Sorry.

Comment

How about changing the location to near UAE? Make it a theme hotel. Power could be arranged atleast partially by windpower, solar panels and waves. also, will it be standing on bottom like oil rig, or will it be just anchored to bottom? and now that I think of it, electricity and water could be solved with hydrogen cells..
                              "You spent 7 years as MacGyver and you can't figure this one out? We got belt buckles and shoe laces and a piece of gum, build a nuclear reactor for crying out loud.."

"...."

Comment

well i do believe it is possible and achievable....just very expensive

and no if i did get investors to build it, its gonna go near Australia
                                and it is anchored not standing

Comment

Working...
                                X