Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

who would have won the battle, Renly or Stannis?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

who would have won the battle, Renly or Stannis?

obviously if Renly hadn't been assassinated

Renly. It was all but certain, that's why Stanis and Melissandre assassinated Renly in the dead of night.

Comment

Is this really even a question? 100,000 vs...what, 5,000? On an open battlefield?
      sigpic

Comment

300 Spartans.
        sigpic

Comment

iirc in reality they had several thousand non-spartan backup. And had a chokepoint to defend. i.e) ideal conditions.

Stannis had neither.
          sigpic
          Banner By JME2

Comment

Originally posted by Gen. Chris View Post
            Is this really even a question? 100,000 vs...what, 5,000? On an open battlefield?
            then why was Catelyn so worried?

Comment

Originally posted by slimjim View Post
              then why was Catelyn so worried?
              She doesn't want to see them waste time on each other when they could be fighting the Lannisters. It's time they don't have, plus it means less men to fight the Lannisters with.

Comment

As Mighty 6 said, every man lost in a battle between brothers is a man that can't be sent against Joffrey and the Lannisters. It may seem harsh to say that the death of men between the two brothers is a waste while their deaths at the hands of the Lannisters wouldn't be a waste, but it's kind of the truth.

At least in the end only one man, Renly, had to die for the conflict to end, at least from the point of view of myself and the people that haven't read the books. I have no idea if this comes back to haunt Stannis or not and I'd rather not know
                sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Gen. Chris View Post
                  As Mighty 6 said, every man lost in a battle between brothers is a man that can't be sent against Joffrey and the Lannisters. It may seem harsh to say that the death of men between the two brothers is a waste while their deaths at the hands of the Lannisters wouldn't be a waste, but it's kind of the truth.

At least in the end only one man, Renly, had to die for the conflict to end, at least from the point of view of myself and the people that haven't read the books. I have no idea if this comes back to haunt Stannis or not and I'd rather not know
                  in my view what Renly was doing was necessary, his brother would have been (or will be?) a terrible king

Comment

Renly,

Stannis would have been trapped between the walls of Storm's End and Renly's forces. There would have been no room for Stannis to manuver. However, recognize this wasn't 100K v. 5K. It was more like 10-15k v. 5k. Renly rode ahead with his vanguard which was mostly cavalry and left his foot behind.
                    All plot and no character makes for a dull story... All plot and no character makes for a dull story... All plot and no character makes for a dull story... All plot and no character makes for a dull story...

"Scott isn't out. Actually, he'll probably soon get back in, then out, then in, then out, then in, with rhythm and stamina." reddevil 4/22/2010

Comment

Originally posted by Ser Scot A Ellison View Post
                      Renly,

Stannis would have been trapped between the walls of Storm's End and Renly's forces. There would have been no room for Stannis to manuver. However, recognize this wasn't 100K v. 5K. It was more like 10-15k v. 5k. Renly rode ahead with his vanguard which was mostly cavalry and left his foot behind.
                      None of that happened in the show though.

Storm's End was taken out, and Renly had his entire force with him. More than likely in the show, hypothetically Stannis would have retreated to Dragonstone and become very difficult for Renly to pry him out of there.

Comment

TM6P,

Renly moved a 100K man force from the middle of the Reach to Storms End... in a couple of days?

:shocked:

Spoiler:
                        Also, isn't that going to screw up a rather huge plot point surrounding the Battle of the Blackwater later this season? The majority of the Reach forces support the Lannisters against Stannis
                        All plot and no character makes for a dull story... All plot and no character makes for a dull story... All plot and no character makes for a dull story... All plot and no character makes for a dull story...

"Scott isn't out. Actually, he'll probably soon get back in, then out, then in, then out, then in, with rhythm and stamina." reddevil 4/22/2010

Comment

Originally posted by Ser Scot A Ellison View Post
                          TM6P,

Renly moved a 100K man force from the middle of the Reach to Storms End... in a couple of days?

:shocked:

Spoiler:
                          Also, isn't that going to screw up a rather huge plot point surrounding the Battle of the Blackwater later this season? The majority of the Reach forces support the Lannisters against Stannis
                          Storm's End just doesn't happen.

They've taken it out of the adaptation. In the series, Renly is camped on the coast in the Stormlands assembling his forces. Stannis comes with his fleet to negotiate. It doesn't end well, so he sends Davos in a boat with Melisandre under the cliffs below Renly's camp, one shadow baby later, no more Renly, and his former bannerman are swearing allegiance to Stannis, with the exception of the Tyrells who leave with Littlefinger, who's also in the camp at the time in the series.

In the series Stannis appears to have more men than he does in the books, but the basic plot points are the same, Renly is dead, Stannis has enough troops to attack Kings Landing and the Tyrells have gone over to the Lannisters side.

Comment

Originally posted by slimjim View Post
                            in my view what Renly was doing was necessary, his brother would have been (or will be?) a terrible king
                            Stannis is the older brother, so if one of the two has any claim to the throne it would be him. Besides Stannis is a capable commander, understands war and probably knows how to run a kingdom. His downsides obviously are that he isn't very popular and too uncompromising for his own good at times. Renly on the other hand is very popular, but has little else going for him that I could see (either in the show or in the books).

Comment

Originally posted by Selina View Post
                              Stannis is the older brother, so if one of the two has any claim to the throne it would be him.
                              I don't care about that even slightly
                              Besides Stannis is a capable commander, understands war and probably knows how to run a kingdom.
                              where directly told by Renly (and before you say he'd bias, Ned didn't disagree) that he's just a good military commander
                              His downsides obviously are that he isn't very popular and too uncompromising for his own good at times. Renly on the other hand is very popular, but has little else going for him that I could see (either in the show or in the books).
                              what Renly has going for him is he's not an insane teenage boy, his army isn't made up of Dothraki or wildlings and he's not just a good military commander like his brother (having set on the king's council), in other words he's the best of a bad lot

Comment

Working...
                              X