Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Might the Wraith Have Found Earth Anyway?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yes. There is one constant in the stargate universe, the ancients never cleaned up there messed. They probably left the location of Earth somewhere in the Pegasus galaxy an the Wraith will rip that place apart until they find it.

I think it be fairly simple for the wraith to narrow it down themselves which galaxy we are in, we even have a nice line of Stargate for them to follow.

Comment

Originally posted by Rise Of The Phoenix View Post
      Even if they followed a 304's trajectory out of the galaxy, from Atlantis's home, don't galaxies move?
      If they do wouldn't that mean a 304 would have to adjust it's course to make it to the Milky Way?
      The Milky Way is apparently moving at about 550-600 kilometers per second relative to the Cosmic Microwave Background (which seems like as good of a yardstick as anything), but part of that is the bulk movement of the Local Group as a whole.

Nevertheless, multiplying the 600 km/s that the Milky Way is moving by the 3 million years it would take light from the Milky Way to reach Pegasus, we find that the the Milky Way has moved 5.67648*10^16 kilometers, which comes to about 5,676 light-years. Given that the Milky Way is 100,000 light-years across, I'm going to guess that the Wraith could probably eyeball this one.

Originally posted by knowles2 View Post
      I think it be fairly simple for the wraith to narrow it down themselves which galaxy we are in, we even have a nice line of Stargate for them to follow.
      The problem, of course, is finding those Stargates: space is really, really big and Stargates are really, really small, especially on a galactic scale.

Consider J002E3, which was part of the Apollo 12 rocket. It had been floating around the solar system for over 30 years before someone final noticed it, and even then, they only found it because it got recaptured by Earth's gravity.

Contrast that with the Stargates in the 'Gate-bridge. Each one is much small than the third stage of an Apollo-mission Saturn V, and rather than being in star systems, the closest Stargate in the bridge is likely 50,000-100,000 light-years from Pegasus (they used 30 Stargates to cover the 3 million light-years from Pegasus to the Milky Way). That distance is even more significant when you realize that the real Pegasus Dwarf Irregular Galaxy is only about 4,400 light-years across (it's apparent diameter is 5 minutes of arc, which it equivalent to 0.00145 radians; given Pegasus's 3 million light-year distance, that translates to an actual diameter of about 4,363 light-years).

In short, if the Wraith knew enough about where the 'Gate-bridge Stargates were to even have a prayer of finding them, they would already know enough to reach the Milky Way.
      "From East Middle School. Suzumiya Haruhi. I have no interest in ordinary humans. If there are any aliens, time travelers, sliders, or espers here, come join me."
      - The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya; Best Character Introduction Ever.

"And can we lose the ten thousand year old dead plants?!"
      - Stargate: Atlantis (1x03) "Hide and Seek"

"Hammerheads do not load/unload units immediately – they must descend to ground level first. Initial experiments involving jump-jetting infantry into the Hammerhead’s cargo compartment met with unfortunate results."
      - Command&Conquer 3: Kane's Wrath Hammerhead Unit Spotlight

Comment

[QUOTE=knowles2;13315008]Yes. There is one constant in the stargate universe, the ancients never cleaned up there messed. They probably left the location of Earth somewhere in the Pegasus galaxy an the Wraith will rip that place apart until they find it.
        QUOTE]

Ancient negligence is one of Stargate's major themes, sadly.
        If you're interested in reading my longest fanfic story, which is an action/adventure story involving the elusive Furlings (as well as if you want to read the others), please click the link below.
        [URL="http://www.fanfiction.net/s/6888222/1/Tauri_Furling_First_Contact_and_Alliance[/URL]

RIP Sep 2010 to beloved gateworld.net member and forum contributor Weedle, very skilled soldier with military special operations, a wonderful human being, and a friend to so many on gateworld. May we keep his memory close.

Comment

I am surprised no one thought to sue them for their negligence!

Comment

Originally posted by StargateWatcher View Post
            Ancient negligence is one of Stargate's major themes, sadly.
            Really? Aside from the many failed projects that the Ancients left behind when they were, you know, fighting a losing war to protect the humans of Pegasus - a war that eventually led to the Ancients' extinction, by the way - I don't recall the Ancients leaving behind too many messes.

Originally posted by garhkal View Post
            To make out a case of negligence, you have to show that the there was a duty of care, that the duty was breached, and that the breach caused the injury complained of. Causation actually has two parts - factual causation, which means that the harm would not have occurred but for the breach, and legal causation, which varies from jurisdiction to jurisdiction, but generally means that the harm has to be a foreseeable result of the breach.

Here, the Ancients fought the Wraith pretty much to the last man - their galaxy spanning empire reduced to a single city. It's hard to imagine a duty of care that that doesn't satisfy.
            "From East Middle School. Suzumiya Haruhi. I have no interest in ordinary humans. If there are any aliens, time travelers, sliders, or espers here, come join me."

"Hammerheads do not load/unload units immediately – they must descend to ground level first. Initial experiments involving jump-jetting infantry into the Hammerhead’s cargo compartment met with unfortunate results."

Comment

Since so many knew of earth, i do feel eventually they might have figured out where it was.
              *high 5*
              sigpic
              Ohhhhhhhh WHAM BAM THANK YOU MA'AM

Comment

Which makes me wonder. IF they did ever make it, and en mass.. how would earth have faired?

Comment

Hehehe. Yeah; wonder who they would have the standing to bring the negligence scase before tho? Maybe a group of the highest-ranking judges from the other 3 of their would judge? I wonder if Moros, based on the way he seemed to dominate the High Council, presumably the Executive Branch could override the Judiciary Branch's authority.

Originally posted by Quadhelix View Post
                  I don't recall the Ancients leaving behind too many messes.
                  We can start with recalling their time in the Milky Way Galaxy. The Ancients left behind their technology in places that it was very easy to access so that the Go'auld could reverse-engineer those pieces of technology and use it to enslave the less advanced races. Then Moros desceded and established the Avalon Cave to store all those treasures including the Intergalactic Long Range Communcaitions Device which SG-1 unwittingly used to contact the Ori home galaxy and let them discover the fact that life existed in theb Milky Way.
                  If you're interested in reading my longest fanfic story, which is an action/adventure story involving the elusive Furlings (as well as if you want to read the others), please click the link below.
                  [URL="http://www.fanfiction.net/s/6888222/1/Tauri_Furling_First_Contact_and_Alliance[/URL]

RIP Sep 2010 to beloved gateworld.net member and forum contributor Weedle, very skilled soldier with military special operations, a wonderful human being, and a friend to so many on gateworld. May we keep his memory close.

Comment

Which makes me wonder. IF they did ever make it, and en mass.. how would earth have faired?
                    depends on what defenses we'd have establsihed and acquired at the time they showed up I think

Comment

^ They defeated the Ancients.
                      sigpicHe who controls the spice controls the universe!(And the kitchen.)

If you enjoy Minecraft or have never played but like building and exploring please check out Craftyn.com and apply for roamer status on the server at http://www.craftyn.com/forms/2/respond It is a well modded towny type server with a strong core community and lots of mini games and events. My user name is TrueGormagon and you are welcome to join the great city of Eden, Craftyns oldest player made city. (2011)

Comment

Originally posted by Gormagon View Post
                        ^ They defeated the Ancients.
                        True; the Wraith did indeed defeat the Ancients. But we aren't the Ancients; I believe we possess much more advanced military knowledge which we demonstrated when we fought them multiple times.

Comment

Lets say they show up a 2nd time right after Enemy at the gates.. say 3-4 months down the road.
                          I envision a group of say 1 more "super hive" powered by some of the other ZPMs that were stolen from the Asurans, 25-30 regular hives, and 45-60 crusiers.

Comment

Lets say they show up a 2nd time right after Enemy at the gates.. say 3-4 months down the road.
                            I envision a group of say 1 more "super hive" powered by some of the other ZPMs that were stolen from the Asurans, 25-30 regular hives, and 45-60 crusiers.
                            That would probably be the end of Earth as an independent power. I mean, even one Superhive was able to moonwalk through pretty much everything that Earth could throw at it, up to and including Atlantis itself. Although Earth's "Super 304" wasn't there, I'm not sure how much the Odyssey's ZPM would have helped - there's only so much that extra power can make up for if the shields and weapons systems can't handle the input that you're trying to give them.

To be honest, I'm not sure that the second Superhive would actually need the other Hives and cruisers, save perhaps for a thicker Dart screen to avoid another nuclear kamikaze in the Dart bay.

The Ancients left behind their technology in places that it was very easy to access so that the Go'auld could reverse-engineer those pieces of technology and use it to enslave the less advanced races.
                            Err, what? Other than the Stargates - which the Goa'uld never actually reverse-engineered - ring transporters, and the sarcophagus, what Ancient technologies have the Goa'uld been using?

And, again, this is another area where the Ancients were a little too busy being dead (this time from a plague) to actually worry about the fact that they might be littering.

Then Moros desceded and established the Avalon Cave to store all those treasures including the Intergalactic Long Range Communcaitions Device which SG-1 unwittingly used to contact the Ori home galaxy and let them discover the fact that life existed in theb Milky Way.
                            A) That was one Ancient, and the rest of them were so ticked over it that they created a new loophole in their "no interference with mortals" rule to stop him from continuing; B) given that there was another Long-Range Communication Device in a random village in Pegasus, it's quite possible that they were common Ancient communication systems and Moros had no idea that it would eventually connect to the Ancients' home galaxy.

Comment

[QUOTE=Quadhelix;13323422]
                              Err, what? Other than the Stargates - which the Goa'uld never actually reverse-engineered - ring transporters, and the sarcophagus, what Ancient technologies have the Goa'uld been using?

And, again, this is another area where the Ancients were a little too busy being dead (this time from a plague) to actually worry about the fact that they might be littering.

It's wrong to label what they did mere 'littering'. And they didn't all die out from that plague. The corporeal Ancients flourished for a while in the Pegasus Galaxy but didn't bother to ever bother to come back to keep their tech away from the likes of raaces like the Go'auld. The Ascended Ancients didn't do so either.

Comment

If the wraith found Earth and found a reliable efficient way to reach it, then presumably their infighting would eventually stop and they' be able to crush any defenses Earth could muster and cull the planet with relative ease.

If they were ever able to bring the full potential of their military might, like they did in the war with the Ancients, I would they would be quite capable of eventually overwhelming the entire Milky Way galaxy.
                                "First Weir, then Samantha Carter, and now, you! It's a pity you humans die or get reassigned so easily, or I might have a sense of satisfaction now!"

*You got the touch! You got the poweeeeer!*

"Arise, Woolseyus Prime."

"Elizabeth..."

Comment

Working...
                                X