Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You're giving up on SGA because you can't stand them?

Interesting...
    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Dave2 View Post
      I can't watch on in SGA because they are so disgusting. I guess I am a wallflower. Plus unlike SGA at least SG1 has some connection still to ordinary life on Earth, whereas Atlantis is way out in the middle of nowhere.....
      Why give up on the show? Yes, the Wraith are disgusting, but that is the point. They are the ones who defeated the Ancients. They had to be far nastier than the Goa'uld for this to be believable. Besides, though they are the series central villains, they aren't in every episode. If you get far enough into the show, you'll see a sympathetic Wraith in the third season who becomes an recurring ally in the fourth and fifth seasons. There are also numerous episodes that don't feature the Wraith at all. Remember the human-form Replicators from SG-1? The Atlantis Expedition encounters living ancients, only to find out their human-form replicators, only to find out they're something else entirely. There are a lot of good stories. It's on par with SG-1 and in some episodes, it supersedes the original show.

As for the show having some connection to ordinary life on Earth... keep watching. After the first season, Earth finally sends out a ship to aide Atlantis. From then on, they can travel back to Earth once in a while. Eventually, the city gets a ZPM. This allows them to gate to Earth and then return via starship. There were actually a lot of Earth-bound episodes. The second season featured two episodes with scenes set back on Earth with the SGC and General Landry. The third season featured five episodes set back on Earth. The fourth season featured five episodes with scenes back on Earth. Granted, one episode was only a brief scene at the SGC. The fifth and final season features three episodes that take place back on Earth with a fourth episode featuring a brief scene at the SGC.

Yeah, the show is set far away on an alien world in not just another solar system, but another galaxy. Have you not watched space-based science-fiction where Earth was rarely or never featured? How is Atlantis any different?

Comment

Your point is well taken.....Actually I have lost interest in sci fi shows with no feet in our earth. That's why Outer Limits is easy to watch, although I am noticing how often themes are recycled over and over.

Originally posted by Snowman37 View Post
        Why give up on the show? Yes, the Wraith are disgusting, but that is the point. They are the ones who defeated the Ancients. They had to be far nastier than the Goa'uld for this to be believable. Besides, though they are the series central villains, they aren't in every episode. If you get far enough into the show, you'll see a sympathetic Wraith in the third season who becomes an recurring ally in the fourth and fifth seasons. There are also numerous episodes that don't feature the Wraith at all. Remember the human-form Replicators from SG-1? The Atlantis Expedition encounters living ancients, only to find out their human-form replicators, only to find out they're something else entirely. There are a lot of good stories. It's on par with SG-1 and in some episodes, it supersedes the original show.

As for the show having some connection to ordinary life on Earth... keep watching. After the first season, Earth finally sends out a ship to aide Atlantis. From then on, they can travel back to Earth once in a while. Eventually, the city gets a ZPM. This allows them to gate to Earth and then return via starship. There were actually a lot of Earth-bound episodes. The second season featured two episodes with scenes set back on Earth with the SGC and General Landry. The third season featured five episodes set back on Earth. The fourth season featured five episodes with scenes back on Earth. Granted, one episode was only a brief scene at the SGC. The fifth and final season features three episodes that take place back on Earth with a fourth episode featuring a brief scene at the SGC.

Yeah, the show is set far away on an alien world in not just another solar system, but another galaxy. Have you not watched space-based science-fiction where Earth was rarely or never featured? How is Atlantis any different?

Comment

Originally posted by Dave2 View Post
          Actually I have lost interest in sci fi shows with no feet in our earth.
          Ah, now I understand. All I can say is, you're missing out by not continuing with the show. How far did you get?

Comment

So far I haven't gotten past the 3rd episode...........but maybe I'll think over your points. But those Wraith.........yuck.........

Comment

The third episode being "Thirty Eight Minutes?" I presume you count "Rising" as one episode rather than a two-parter. Yes, the show has a higher gross factor than SG-1, but it's not every episode. You've only just begun. You haven't dived into the meat of the show. At least keep watching until you get to "The Storm" and "The Eye," the mid-season two-parter. You've expressed your frustration with the show not featuring Earth. They're only cut off during the first season. I'll spoil that much if it'll help you get into the show.

Comment

OK, I'll take your word for it, but I sure can't take the gross factor!

The third episode being "Thirty Eight Minutes?" I presume you count "Rising" as one episode rather than a two-parter. Yes, the show has a higher gross factor than SG-1, but it's not every episode. You've only just begun. You haven't dived into the meat of the show. At least keep watching until you get to "The Storm" and "The Eye," the mid-season two-parter. You've expressed your frustration with the show not featuring Earth. They're only cut off during the first season. I'll spoil that much if it'll help you get into the show.

Comment

If the gross factor is all that's keeping you from watching, I will list episodes where you might want to fast forward over a gross scene. How does that sound? Since you've just started, I'll just go over the first season. First off, I assume you've seen "Thirty Eight Minutes" where Sheppard had the bug on his beck? Moving past that...

Episode 5: Suspicion
                  One of the Athosians is suspected of being a spy for the Wraith. The Wraith do show up briefly, but I don't there were any gross scenes featured. Unless the Wraith simply appearing counts as gross. It's mostly a who's the spy story, and a good one at that.

Episode 6: Childhood's End
                  This one's a fun, independent story. Nothing gross that I can recall.

Episode 7: Poisoning the Well
                  This episode deals with Dr. Beckett helping a people develop a method to make them immune to being fed on by the Wraith. I don't want to say more, because it will spoil the plot. There is one scene that may or may not be gross. Just watch. It's not what you think, and you'll be asking yourself what just happened!

Episode 8: Underground
                  This episode introduces a potential ally who shifts back and forth between friend and foe depending on the episode. The Wraith do appear, but I can't remember if anyone was fed upon.

Episode 9: Home
                  Atlantis finally makes a connection to Earth, sending a few representatives home... or did they? This was a very special episode. It also stands as the only episode where Don S. Davis guest starred as General Hammond.

Episodes 10&11: The Storm / The Eye
                  The big, mid-season two-parter! Aside from people getting shot and one person's arm getting cut, nothing gross. You'd expect the big mid-season two-parter to be all about the Wraith, but the writers went an entirely different direction. For me, this was the show's best story prior to the final episodes (of the season).

Episode 12: The Defiant One
                  This one is a stand-alone episode, meaning it's not really followed up on. It deals with Sheppard and McKay pitted against an ancient Wraith. There is one, maybe two gross scenes. It's a highlight, because it shows just how dangerous the Wraith are, but it also shows just how resourceful Sheppard is.

Episode 13: Hot Zone
                  Every science-fiction show has to do an outbreak episode, right? This one doesn't disappoint. The grossest thing you will see is a little blood out of someone's nose, or something like that.

Episode 14: Sanctuary
                  Nothing gross here, you'll love this episode. It's best if I say no more.

Episode 15: Before I Sleep
                  Remember the Time Jumper that SG-1 found? This episode explores it's origin!

Episode 16: The Brotherhood
                  I don't recall anything gross in this episode.

Episode 17: Letters from Pegasus
                  The Wraith are coming! This episode is a clip show and mostly features the characters making goodbye video diaries to their families and friends. Personally, I'd say you can skip this episode. However, it's worth seeing if you're really invested with the cast.

Episode 18: The Gift
                  This episode explores Teyla's ability to sense the Wraith. The episode is high on frights, but I don't recall anything gross being displayed.

Episodes 19&20: The Siege, Parts 1&2
                  It's the two-part season finale. The Wraith besiege Atlantis! Naturally, you're going to see some Wraith action, which means there's bound to be some gross scenes.

I hope this assessment helps. Oh, I almost forgot. If you're wondering when this season takes place in regards to SG-1, it's during that show's 8th season. "Rising" began after "New Order, Part 2," and the Atlantis finale takes place right after SG-1's "Moebius, Part 2."

Comment

Got it. That's good, thanks. I also noticed how SGU takes on a couple of aliens into their team such as that female version of Teal'c.

Comment

Snowman, I just watched Suspicion. Thanks for the advice for episodes that won't gross me out. As a matter of fact I may like it at least as long as I stick to those episodes that won't gross me out. For that matter, I would ask the creators why they had to include episodes in any of their productions that had a gross factor. Unless they assumed there'd be a demand for it. There were a few gross scenes in SG1 which I would have been happy to avoid as well.
                      On another note, I am not so sure that Weir is the best person to be a commander in such circumstances. Too bad O'Neill isn't around.

If the gross factor is all that's keeping you from watching, I will list episodes where you might want to fast forward over a gross scene. How does that sound? Since you've just started, I'll just go over the first season. First off, I assume you've seen "Thirty Eight Minutes" where Sheppard had the bug on his beck? Moving past that...

Episode 5: Suspicion
                      One of the Athosians is suspected of being a spy for the Wraith. The Wraith do show up briefly, but I don't there were any gross scenes featured. Unless the Wraith simply appearing counts as gross. It's mostly a who's the spy story, and a good one at that.

Episode 6: Childhood's End
                      This one's a fun, independent story. Nothing gross that I can recall.

Episode 7: Poisoning the Well
                      This episode deals with Dr. Beckett helping a people develop a method to make them immune to being fed on by the Wraith. I don't want to say more, because it will spoil the plot. There is one scene that may or may not be gross. Just watch. It's not what you think, and you'll be asking yourself what just happened!

Episode 8: Underground
                      This episode introduces a potential ally who shifts back and forth between friend and foe depending on the episode. The Wraith do appear, but I can't remember if anyone was fed upon.

Episode 9: Home
                      Atlantis finally makes a connection to Earth, sending a few representatives home... or did they? This was a very special episode. It also stands as the only episode where Don S. Davis guest starred as General Hammond.

Episodes 10&11: The Storm / The Eye
                      The big, mid-season two-parter! Aside from people getting shot and one person's arm getting cut, nothing gross. You'd expect the big mid-season two-parter to be all about the Wraith, but the writers went an entirely different direction. For me, this was the show's best story prior to the final episodes (of the season).

Episode 12: The Defiant One
                      This one is a stand-alone episode, meaning it's not really followed up on. It deals with Sheppard and McKay pitted against an ancient Wraith. There is one, maybe two gross scenes. It's a highlight, because it shows just how dangerous the Wraith are, but it also shows just how resourceful Sheppard is.

Episode 13: Hot Zone
                      Every science-fiction show has to do an outbreak episode, right? This one doesn't disappoint. The grossest thing you will see is a little blood out of someone's nose, or something like that.

Episode 14: Sanctuary
                      Nothing gross here, you'll love this episode. It's best if I say no more.

Episode 15: Before I Sleep
                      Remember the Time Jumper that SG-1 found? This episode explores it's origin!

Episode 16: The Brotherhood
                      I don't recall anything gross in this episode.

Episode 17: Letters from Pegasus
                      The Wraith are coming! This episode is a clip show and mostly features the characters making goodbye video diaries to their families and friends. Personally, I'd say you can skip this episode. However, it's worth seeing if you're really invested with the cast.

Episode 18: The Gift
                      This episode explores Teyla's ability to sense the Wraith. The episode is high on frights, but I don't recall anything gross being displayed.

Episodes 19&20: The Siege, Parts 1&2
                      It's the two-part season finale. The Wraith besiege Atlantis! Naturally, you're going to see some Wraith action, which means there's bound to be some gross scenes.

I hope this assessment helps. Oh, I almost forgot. If you're wondering when this season takes place in regards to SG-1, it's during that show's 8th season. "Rising" began after "New Order, Part 2," and the Atlantis finale takes place right after SG-1's "Moebius, Part 2."

Comment

Childhood's End is an excellent Stargate episode all around. It's my kind of episode. Really sad though that kids were killing themselves all the time as "elders" for nothing. I couldn't stand McKay before, but now at least I like him, and Sheppard has a certain O'Neill quality about him. It's a nice relief to see innocence and those two cute children in a story instead of gore and the like.

Comment

Both "Suspicion" and "Childhood's End" are great episodes. I'm glad you enjoyed them as I did. As for gross episodes, try not to skip them. Most episodes with gross scenes are pivotal episodes that drive the show's central story, the war against the Wraith. Are you watching the episodes via DVD? When you come across an episode with the Wraith, just keep the remote control handy to fast forward over a gross scene. Oh, and as for pushing the gore-on-TV limits... The SciFi (Syfy? stupid) network has been known for showing gory low-budget TV horror movies, thinking this is what science-fiction fans want to see. The added gore on the show was likely a network demand. However, think of what the Wraith are... space vampires. A little gore was to be expected. However, I think the show remained pretty light on gore in the long run.

Comment

I see it online but I can forward with the slider. I think i'll go for the nicer episodes and then go back the way you suggst.
                            I would have liked to see a goa'uld and Wraith go after each other in a prison the way they had the captured wraith in Suspicion. How about a wraith as a host to a goa'uld? Now that's gory!

Both "Suspicion" and "Childhood's End" are great episodes. I'm glad you enjoyed them as I did. As for gross episodes, try not to skip them. Most episodes with gross scenes are pivotal episodes that drive the show's central story, the war against the Wraith. Are you watching the episodes via DVD? When you come across an episode with the Wraith, just keep the remote control handy to fast forward over a gross scene. Oh, and as for pushing the gore-on-TV limits... The SciFi (Syfy? stupid) network has been known for showing gory low-budget TV horror movies, thinking this is what science-fiction fans want to see. The added gore on the show was likely a network demand. However, think of what the Wraith are... space vampires. A little gore was to be expected. However, I think the show remained pretty light on gore in the long run.

Comment

I noticed in Suspicion that Weir said the Althusians had been with them for 3 months. That would mean about 2 episodes per month until Suspicion. One can only assume that there were other activities going on besides the ones being broadcast in the episodes. ;-)

Comment

I forgot to mention something else that's often overlooked and is the most amazing thing about Stargate.
                                Not only does practically everyone in the Milky Way Galaxy speak modern English, but so do everyone in the Pegasus Galaxy and the replicator and Asgard galaxy!! ;-)

In any case I just saw Poisoning the Well. The ethical issues involved and lack of gore top it off as one of the best episodes in SG1/Atlantis that I have seen yet.

Do we ever get to find out why the vaccine used on the Hoffans was lethal to 50% of the people? The city was very reminiscent of the city where Jonas Quinn lived, in a totally different galaxy.
                                Last edited by Dave2; 03 April 2012, 11:09 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X