Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

My Opinion/Feeling on S4 Ratings. Will there be S5?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Canadian Dollar to USD changes quite a bit.

1/21/2009 1 CA was .78 USD
    4/08/2011 1 CA was 1.05 USD

So just the exchange rate bouncing around will cause problems with a set price in CAD dollars.

Comment

CAble ratings thresholds are different from Network ones. Cable networks are often thrilled with 1 or 2 ratings and those will get a network show canned.

Also, y es, critical accliam does help. I honestly think an HBO show Rome would have lasted longer had it won awards. BUt all it got were costuming or set decoration (which are really garbage awards in the grand theme of things) so the show died. (did introduce me to the lucious Kevin McKidd so that's good)

Then you get shows like Dexter and Borgias and The Tudors where the actors, writers and directors won awards and they lasted (dex is gearing up for season 7 I think, Tudors lasted 4, Borgias is in the first few episodes of season 2)

A cable show that gets nommed for and wins awards gets a bit more leeway than a non-winner.
      Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

I was told once that the amount of money it takes to put a show on the air is a very liquid number. Most of the time, after a certain threshold has been met, the cost per episode is in direct correlation to the amount of money you have left to spend!

I probably used some bad examples, but they were numbers that I could remember off the top of my head. I did just read that the average cost per episode for a show on the SyFy channel is right around 2 million per episode. This from a article in Television Without Pity.

That makes the 2.5 or 2.6 cost per episode of Sanctuary on the high side, FOR SYFY. I standby my statement that I'm still surprised that Sanctuary costs as much as it does.

Deevil, your definitely correct that a couple million per episode is peanuts for TV overall. I'm just talking about the other side of the tracks, where the bean-counters have bigger offices than the producers!

Comment

Originally posted by NumberSix View Post

I've been considering that but would have to look more into how it works and if I've got the necessary electronics.
          you do, all you need for netflix is a computer or if you have a wii or a game system you can hook up to your tv.
          sigpic

Comment

Dollars per episode is also little more than the overall budget divided by the number of episodes...and yeah, it can vary

etc

they have an average per show then adjust up and down, if they spend too much on #4 then they cut some from elsewhere (this is where clip shows come from)
            Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by 12OzMouse View Post
              Deevil, your definitely correct that a couple million per episode is peanuts for TV overall. I'm just talking about the other side of the tracks, where the bean-counters have bigger offices than the producers!
              That's par for course no matter if you're network, or cable . The money doesn't go into keeping these guys in offices, not at all...
              Disclaimer: All opinions stated within this post are relevant to the author herself, and do not in any way represent the opinions of God, Country, The Powers That Be or Greater Fandom.

Any resemblance to aforementioned opinions are purely coincidental.

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver View Post
                Dollars per episode is also little more than the overall budget divided by the number of episodes...and yeah, it can vary

etc

they have an average per show then adjust up and down, if they spend too much on #4 then they cut some from elsewhere (this is where clip shows come from)
                Exactly! And usually they save the big dollars for season premieres, finales and mid season finales/returns.
                Last edited by Deevil; 23 April 2012, 05:18 PM.
                Disclaimer: All opinions stated within this post are relevant to the author herself, and do not in any way represent the opinions of God, Country, The Powers That Be or Greater Fandom.

Any resemblance to aforementioned opinions are purely coincidental.

Comment

Working...
                X