Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Discrepencies from the 1994 movie compared to SG1?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Alternatively, just dismiss it as a retcon.

Comment

Originally posted by Snowman37 View Post
      Alternatively, just dismiss it as a retcon.
      This. I think that's actually what most fans do. Right along with the discrepancy of the film taking place in 1994, yet 1997 somehow being a year afterward, as evidenced by dialogue and events in COTG. The show's timeline basically has the events of the film occurring in 1996, and as long as everyone can keep that and the other odd items from bothering them too much, it's all quite enjoyable.

(Yes, I'm female. Okay?)
      Sum, ergo scribo...

My own site ** FF.net * All That We Leave Behind * Symbiotica ** AO3
      sigpic
      now also appearing on DeviantArt
      Explore Colonel Frank Cromwell's odyssey after falling through the Stargate in Season Two's A Matter of Time, and follow Jack's search for him. Significant Tok'ra supporting characters and a human culture drawn from the annals of history. Book One of the series By Honor Bound.

Comment

There are similar discrepancies between the Terminator movies and TV series (The Sarah Connor Chronicles). There, only two discrepancies really bothered me. One was Sarah's distrust of Cameron after she learned to trust the Terminator protector in the second movie. The other was Sarah's reason for trying to escape the mental hospital. In the movie, it was a dream of Kyle Reese and Judgment Day. In the series, it was signing away parental rights, something she'd have already lost upon being committed.

Comment

Originally posted by SF_and_Coffee View Post
          This. I think that's actually what most fans do. Right along with the discrepancy of the film taking place in 1994, yet 1997 somehow being a year afterward, as evidenced by dialogue and events in COTG. The show's timeline basically has the events of the film occurring in 1996, and as long as everyone can keep that and the other odd items from bothering them too much, it's all quite enjoyable.
          You know, I have seen Stargate:COTG several times, and I've heard them say that a year has passed etc. I didn't really think about the three year difference even when reading about Stargate on the Wiki until it was mentioned here. I guess some of these things I have been subconsciously treating as Retcons anyway lol.

Comment

Originally posted by Reseph(Shed) View Post
            I think I somewhat found a way to explain the human guards. If I remember correctly in Children of the Gods (and I think I saw a few in a picture of when they gathered for Klorel in Within the Serpent's Lair), the two bulky men that grabbed Shar'e, Carol, and Skaara were Humans. They didn't have the Jaffa symbols (but they wore Turbans), or cuts in their belly. Maybe Ra just chose to use more of these types of Guards than the Jaffa (it's an explanation at least).

I noticed that for some reason Ra used a lot of children as slaves and I am surprised that more Goa'uld didn't do this in a way (although anyone that was another System Lord probably wouldn't care who died, so it is somewhat feasible that they changed it), It was a perfect way to protect himself considering most people wouldn't want to kill children. Maybe it was a way to stop the stronger but more compassionate races from taking action against him at the time.
            No. There was no such thing as Jaffa or Goa'uld. Stargate was written as a trilogy with aliens that had humans loyal to them raised from children. The aliens did not speak English, but the tongue native to the area of the humans they had. (Or the humans rather gaining their language from the aliens, like Egyptian language really being an alien language rather than an Earthen one)

There were no System Lords or anything like that.

Anubis and Horus were in the movie, because in mythology, Anubis and Horus are children of Ra. So in that sense, they'd be his soldiers/servants/underlings/whatever. They were not Jaffa, the concept of many, almost everything introduced in SG-1 was not part of the original universe. With the exception of the Stargate and transplanted humans and technology (Ha'tak, Hand Device concept [Ra's was WAY different than anyone else's], Death Gliders), nothing about the series resembles the movie.
            sigpic

Comment

Working...
            X