No announcement yet.

The Doctor's Wife (3204)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just finished watching this episode. Brilliant! Just before Idris finally faded away into artron energy, she said something to the Doctor that I couldn't make out. I reversed the scene on my DVR and activated the captioning. She actually said, "I love you." Wow.
    sigpic

Comment

Also: was anyone else really disappointed/annoyed by the line that HYPED this episode up so much being thrown around so lightly at the end?

I'd assumed it would be at a point that would actually matter and make the villain seem more imposing...but it was at the end of the episode with the Doctor already well in the lead.

Comment

Can't say I was. I'm finding it difficult to come up with any criticisms to be honest, other than the fact that they should have included all of Gaiman's ideas (although of course it would have extremely thinned the budget). The missing scenes sounded brilliant, especially his initial idea for the Doctor discovering all of the wrecked TARDISs.
        I write articles/features/reviews for I'm With Geek.com now. Check out our stuff if you get a minute!

sigpic
        Click on sig to check out my fanfic gallery too!

Comment

Originally posted by Cold Fuzz View Post
          Just finished watching this episode. Brilliant! Just before Idris finally faded away into artron energy, she said something to the Doctor that I couldn't make out. I reversed the scene on my DVR and activated the captioning. She actually said, "I love you." Wow.
          Yes, I caught that too whilst rewatching my Freeview recording but didn't catch it whilst watching as it went out live on TV for some reason. How I missed it first time I don't know because I was GLUED to the screen.

THE TARDIS DATA CORE - Encyclopaedia and reference site covering DOCTOR WHO, K-9 AND COMPANY, TORCHWOOD,THE SARAH JANE ADVENTURES,
          K-9, CLASS and much more...

Comment

Originally posted by Admiral Mappalazarou View Post
            Can't say I was. I'm finding it difficult to come up with any criticisms to be honest, other than the fact that they should have included all of Gaiman's ideas (although of course it would have extremely thinned the budget). The missing scenes sounded brilliant, especially his initial idea for the Doctor discovering all of the wrecked TARDISs.
            This ^
            Please do me a huge favour and help me be with the love of my life.

Comment

When Idris/Sexy (TARDIS) told the Doctor that the little boxes make you go mad, I thought it was an insanity issue, until I later realized it was probably more of an anger issue -- with the TARDIS/Sexy knowing the boxes were trapped Time Lords who have been murdered by House, with only their S.O.S. messages remaining behind. And the TARDIS/Sexy called the other decaying TARDISes her "sisters".
              Interesting... that they were regarded as being "all she's" (motherhood figures of all of interdimensional nature..??).

Loved that the TARDIS/Sexy had the power within herself to kiss the makeshift TARDIS and give it breath from her own life. Interesting...
              Tho, their entire short hop journey really could have used an internal stablizer instead of throwing the Doctor and Idris/Sexy all around the console.

Originally posted by PMN1 View Post
              I wonder if I.D.R.I.S will end up standing for something?
              T.A.R.D.I.S. = Time And Relative Dimensions In Space

possibly Idris is a version of the TARDIS with the big I in front for ID (the id) or I.D.???
              I.D.R.I.S. = I-am Dimensions Relative In Space

I thought Idris was the lady's name before she became the Doctor's TARDIS. Uncle referred to her as Idris, not the Doctor's TARDIS. And apparently, Idris's body shell was already dying the moment Idris' own soul left her body. The TARDIS was living on borrowed time, in that sense..

Question I'd like to know -- is how Idris got there still in one human-form piece without having her own soul removed prior to gaining the TARDIS' soul instead. Was she originally a time-lady turned into a housing shell for the Doctor's TARDIS's soul (and power source), with only a short lifespan of only 18 more minutes to live near the end?

Originally posted by Admiral Mappalazarou View Post
              Shows like Voyager proved if anything that scifi jargon is not needed in scifi. It clogs up dialogue imo. Characters are saying trash when they ought to be explaining to the audience what is going on. Doctor Who gets around that by making the science far too advanced for humans and by making the only available scientist a mad Doctor who never plays by the rules set to him. It's one of the countless reason I adore this show - Even the little things make me happy.
              I like Doctor Who, because it's more fantasy / sci-fi... with a nice balance of both.
              Science based jargon programs often get me lost (science is not my field of study), since science words spoken upon occasion are nice, but not when done in excess. At least I can follow most of the show, without losing interest in sticking with it. And the idea that the Doctor rarely ever plays by the rules or reads instructions, that's what makes it more intriguing.
              It's almost sort of like an in-joke for females about typical guys *NOT* reading instructions, until something goes wrong, and then it might be too late to fix whatever got missed in the (instruction manual's preferred) set-up.

Besides, if the series (any sci-fi/fantasy series, for that matter) focused more on SCIENCE based words *all* of the time, I would have no doubts that someone out there with a dislike for the program would nitpick *all* (or most of) the time, just because they disagreed with the use of the jargon being used and what it was used for.

Believe me, I see this happen all the time in the Star Trek forums by *know-it-alls* who feel they could do a better job with the scripts than what was presented by someone else. I found that very distressing when watching any of the Stargate series, and hearing about how certain jargon *was* being used or misused.. and just found myself refusing to read any of the commentaries after a certain point, when SGU was half-way thru its eps.

Comment

The Confidential programme was very good as well.

Comment

Interesting... that they were regarded as being "all she's" (motherhood figures of all of interdimensional nature..??).
                  If you check out http://www.whoniverse.net/tardis/ TARDII can be either gender, i believe the male TARDII were leaders of herds of TARDII, which would mean they couldnt run off and explore like these did.

N.C
                  Last edited by Nth Chevron; 15 May 2011, 12:49 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by SGalisa View Post
                    I just took that as a result of the ancient rule that all ships are female.

Comment

Originally posted by jameshawking View Post
                      Also: was anyone else really disappointed/annoyed by the line that HYPED this episode up so much being thrown around so lightly at the end?

I'd assumed it would be at a point that would actually matter and make the villain seem more imposing...but it was at the end of the episode with the Doctor already well in the lead.
                      Yeah, I can't say I was annoyed, but it lost a lot of its power in the context of the episode. For me, the problem was that the delivery of "Fear me: I have killed hundreds of Timelords" came so quickly after House's previous line that it kind of got breezed over, and didn't have the dramatic weight that it had in the trailers.

Comment

Originally posted by Blencathra View Post
                        I totally agree with Sealurk - Neil Gaiman should be allowed to write episodes for Doctor Who whenever he wants.
                        is he a freelance writer?
                        https://twitter.com/#!/Solar_wind84

Comment

Wonderful episode. The Doctor has in the past talked about the TARDIS being alive and it's great to see this aspect of her given life. I loved seeing how similar the Doctor and TARDIS were. He is her Doctor, she picked him, she wanted to explore the universe.

I am also a bit surprised there was so much visual effects of the TARDIS' in space. I really did enjoy it and will definitely rewatch it soon just to absorb everything properly.

sigpic

Comment

Wow, this episode was awesome! All of your comments have added to my understanding so thanks for that!
                            sigpic

Comment

Wonderful, just wonderful. Fantastic episode. I can't say enough good things! Most has already been said. I got chills hearing all the Time Lords and stuff, I didn't think we would actually see any but for a moment I thought we were going to meet another Time Lord that wasn't a enemy.

I got very excited to see 9 & 10's TARDIS console again.

Neil Gaiman fits with Doctor Who, i've been meaning to read his stuff forever. Especially Sandman and Stardust.

Comment

BBC have posted Neil Gaiman talking about some of the lost scenes from the Doctor's Wife if anyone is interested.

Spoiler:
                                I really wished they had left in the Planet of the Rain Gods scene, it would have been funny to see with the Doctor!

Comment

Working...
                                X