No announcement yet.

Do you think Rush knew?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think he might have known. Not to say he knew, and not to say he didnt know.

He knows that the ship will do things, alter its course, activate systems, deactivate systems, etc to provide survivability to the people on board, is the same thing the Atlantis computer system did.

But, He also knows the ships systems must be very resourceful because its so old, old enough that it was before the Ancients used ZPE for a source. You have to question how a ship thats almost a million years old would still have power, especially after traveling several billion light years. I mean, Atlantis used 3 ZPMS to power itself for a mere few thousand years after the Ancients left with almost nothing but the shield running. and when people arrived the ZPMs only lasted a few hours. but the Destiny, is Hundreds of thousands of years old, and has survived for weeks after they have arrived.

So, I think he may have had a second though in his head. He took the most apparent option, which was that the destiny dropped out in a system that had a high possibility to support life. It seamed to be an even farther option to say, the ship is doing this for itself, not us.

he had two opposing theories going on in his head. 1 made more sense than the other, the latter though seamed even more far fetched than was really reasonable.

It was merely AFTER the ship started to refuel that he probably thought, "Well, S.o.b. this ship is awesome"

Based on that, I feel that his actions were based on the fact that the ship was going to burn up. as it seamed most reasonable. that 2nd theory probably gave him the subconscious idea to stay behind.

-AA
    Homer: WHEN PIGS FLY!...
    (a pig was in a cannon, and got shot accross the town, right were homer can see)

Homer: Doh!

Comment

Let's say for a moment he did know in advance, beyond just a hunch. In that case... why his actions as we saw them? He didn't gain anything by choosing to act the way he did. He didn't even accept the goodwill of his shipmates afterward. Somehow I doubt his plan was "Hide it from everyone, then cause Young to be more suspicious of me by letting on that I knew."

Soooo I don't think he knew any more than we viewers.

Comment

I don`t think he knew, but if he did, and hid it, he was running the chance of losing Eli to the shuttle group. And Eli is probably the last person Rush wanted to lose. Rush needs Eli.
        These are the wrong people... in the wrong place.

Comment

I would say he hoped and suspected but didn't know anything for sure.

He seemed just as scared as the rest for the most part.

Comment

It's obvious he didn't know.

Comment

Originally posted by jcainhaze View Post
              It's obvious he didn't know.
              Either or.

Anyway, the fact that Young accused him of knowing speaks volumes of the conflict between the two powerhouses. Young'll always be suspicious of Rush in some way (After Rush stranded them on the Destiny, can you blame the good Colonel?), and the sparks'll fly later on.
              ~ When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade. Make life take back the lemons back! Get mad! I don't want your damn lemons! What am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life's manager! Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons! Do you know who I am? I'm the man who's gonna burn your house down! WITH THE LEMONS! I'm gonna get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that BURNS YOUR HOUSE DOWN! ~

~ Burning people! He says what we're all thinking! ~

Comment

i don't think he knew he just had faith the destiny wouldn't kill them all.

Comment

If he was playing with fake money he probably would have bet on something happening like it did. However THINKING that a result may happen and betting the survival of everyone of the ship on it are 2 different things.
                  sigpic

Comment

It's obvious that Rush knows more than he is saying. I say, he knows a boatload more than what he is saying. He knows exactly where the ship is going and he wants to get there.

He's a MAD SCIENTIST and a bit of an Ahab. This ship is the only thing he had going on for him. This is his life.

I think he knew the ship was going to refuel but he knew the Colonel wouldn't believe him so he let the colonel proceed with his plan to relocate people on an inhabited planet.

Comment

I can't see what he'd gain from sending everyone into panic and having them think they'd die. While I was watching the end I was wondering why he wouldn't just say he didn't know and then it hit me, no matter what he said young would still be suspicious of him, so there was no point in answering.

Comment

Originally posted by Buck32 View Post
                        i don't think he knew he just had faith the destiny wouldn't kill them all.
                        He knew it was going to refuel but and that the crew would not have faith it was going to survive plunging into the star.

Comment

Originally posted by kirmit View Post
                          I can't see what he'd gain from sending everyone into panic and having them think they'd die. While I was watching the end I was wondering why he wouldn't just say he didn't know and then it hit me, no matter what he said young would still be suspicious of him, so there was no point in answering.
                          Agree! I don't understand why he would bother lying about it and acting like geniunely thought they would die.
                          sigpic
                          http://annorasponderings.tumblr.com/
                          http://circumvented.tumblr.com/

Comment

I think Dr.Rush suspected, but didn't know for a fact. Most scientists would at least conjure the possibility. After what's already happened though, he couldn't be sure those systems weren't broken too. Most people here suspected, & most people here are not leading scientists in a field.

Fool me once shame on you.Fool me twice shame on me.I can't trust Rush.
                            I don't see where Rush fooled anyone, much less twice. He was correct that if they didn't go through the gate at that very moment, the entire Icarus Project would be a failure. Don't forget how many idiotic questions are asked from ep 1-5; Dr.Rush understands aspects of what is going on that the others simply don't. Their ignorance is what is causing the whole 'you fooled me' reaction in the first place.
                            I think the final scene reflect his extreme pessimism which makes him seem like a dick.
                            While I agree usually what 'others' perceive becomes the accepted perception regardless of its accuracy, I don't think what he felt was pessimistic. I think he's spent way too long around people he does not like. One minute they act annoyed, suspicious, & distrustful toward him, the next it's all laughs & belly tickling. Not everyone buys into that type of predictable group behavior, & some which see it coming end up finding it distasteful. He's sick of them, & how they behave. He showed this even on Icarus Base when he went to get his food,& upon observing their generic archetypes play off eachother, lost his appetite. He didn't go down to the mess to check on them or make a scene to the chef, he intended on grabbing his food. He had already grown sick of eating around them, as revealed by the chef's expectation of Rush wanting his meal 'to go.' No one should expect this to just change b/c they're stuck on a ship now. The others are still being themselves.
                            Rush just isn't a very nice person.
                            I find this completely untrue. He's been quite nice to those not acting obnoxious to him, or focused on who's the alpha male. Most people bashing Rush have not spoken toward his accurate portrayal of someone stuck around people they can't stand. It keeps being pushed that these are the 'wrong people,' but Dr.Rush isn't the wrong person, he is exactly the right person, this is his life's work. One tends to grow tired of questions like 'what's happening', 'what does that mean', 'what do we do now', 'why didn't we arrive on Earth', or 'are those stars?' While we still don't know his area of study, Dr.Rush didn't get his degree in child day care. Yet here he is, stuck babysitting 'the wrong people.' Most people in this situation end up muttering, 'I hate kids!' & become brash toward the children until they're relieved.
                            Last edited by General Jeckle; 25 October 2009, 05:42 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by ancientaction View Post
                              but the Destiny, is Hundreds of thousands of years old, and has survived for weeks after they have arrived.
                              Only a few days have passed since they arrived, the comments made by some of the characters supports this.

Comment

I agree with most that he had an i idea that it would happen but wasn't 100% sure like what are the chance's that you drop in a system only to slow down around a gas giant to head directly towards a star.

But if he had the idea that it would refuel in the star why not say it. If that's what happens your a genius for saying it if not whats the difference anyways your dead.
                                Duct tape is like the Force. It has a light side and a dark side and it holds the universe together
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X