No announcement yet.

End of Nights, Part 1 (201)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I really really enjoyed this episode. It had a good balance to it, the pacing was juuuuust right.

I'm very happy there was less green screen. The library and lab looked pretty good, but it is easier to stay engaged in the story when you are distracted by the little things.

Things are shaping up to be action packed and awesomesauce.

The one thing I didn't like was Kate. She bugged me. I know what they were going for but it came off as really lame. She (or rather) her writers were trying too hard to make her edgy and mouthy. It came off, to me, as really forced and predictable. Who didn't think she would be a)betrayed and b) wind up at the Sanctuary?

Nice to see Helen kicking some serious butt though. Far more intense than anything last year (barring Requiem). Amanda is doing a great job at adding more depth to the character. The leather (pleather) outfit near the end didn't hurt things either. Also nice to see her rocking the Bimmer.

The interaction between characters was nice. I especially enjoyed the beginning with Will and Tesla. I'm enjoying Tesla far more thus far than all of last year.

The fight scenes were nice. Esp. Sanctuary V. Ashley and how broken Helen looked when John teleported her away. EU did a good job coming off as a baddy, she looked like she was enjoying just kicking Sanctuary butt.
    sigpic

Just repeat to yourself; "It's just a show, I should really just relax."

Comment

now for my review...

the episode was great!

i'll start with cons:

i saw a bit of a flaw, green screen wise, in one scene where helen and the gang were in that large room, discussing something. not a biggie at all, though.

i wanted more of the car chase, only b/c amanda was driving!

the pros:

first off, the way the ep was filmed, using split screens and such, was brilliant! quite a neat effect that i wasn't expecting.

ashley!! i really felt bad what was happening to her. i can't see how this is going to turn out good for her... (((ash)))

the woman scientist, injecting ash, was interesting, mostly b/c she seemed to feel actually bad about what she was doing. not bad enough, obviously, to NOT do it, but it added an interesting twist.

nice scene between henry and bigfoot. (let's loose bigfoot instead of ashley )

henry! his scene, where he was crying...

the new girl is alright (kate). not at all as annoying as vala (was afraid of this), but still not someone i'm looking forward to seeing more of. yet.

the scene where they all confront vampash; it was great how quickly john grabbed everyone to get them away from her. he knew this was a losing battle.

also a lovely scene between helen and john, sitting wherever they were with the huge moon. i liked what she said about knowing that violence was already in him, still in him, whether tesla exorcised it out of him or not. that obviously haunts helen... she'll never be able to let her heart open to him b/c of it.

(my best for last)

and helen... great scene where she was ready to shoot kate -which i don't blame her for- to get her to talk. didn't help that kate was being snarky. and then wil's great line about her manors matching jack the rippers. i like where the helen-wil relationship is headed, that they can talk so honestly with each other.

but my fave scene was the standoff with helen and ash. you could see the turmoil helen was going through. and helen's anger and plea to john to take her back. as usual, wonderful acting from amanda!!

but i'll tell you... when helen said what she thought was happening, of how the cabal were making super beings, all from ashley... i felt right there, we were seeing how this situation with ashley is going to turn out. i said it to my mom... they're going to kill ashley.

an *excellent* episode and wonderful premier!!
      sally

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by allfornot View Post
        Did anyone else find that incredibly sad when mangus finally sees ashley, thinking she has her back and she has a big smile on her face and then she realizes she isnt ashley anymore.
        yes.

what else have they done to ashely!? it has to be more than just injecting her with the source blood?
        sally

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by shel View Post
          Cool how she heard Helen's voice and she woke up. I felt sorry for Ashley though when she started crying when she was being controlled.
          yes, ash woke to her mom's voice!

Loved the darker Helen. She seemed to have way more edge to her, with good reason though. And loved her interactions with John, they seem to be spending a lot more time toegher.
          if teleporting is what drove john insane, will this do the same to others he teleports? i'm assuming it would have to be a lot of teleporting, but since they're looking for ashley...

And did anyone see what appeared in Ashley's eye when the doctor lady first called out to her, it said "help me" i think.
          i didn't see that!
          sally

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by jasminaGo View Post
            A
            And something that isn't a gripe against the ep, but more of a personal preference, I wish Will would shut up once in a while and let Helen shoot people. Really. She can start with New Girl, then Doc Psycho, and then the sky is the limit.
            ... i don't think Will will be able to stop her, if ashley dies. it won't matter what he says... i'm *almost* looking forward to the scene (i saw it in my head last night when i went to bed). helen would tear the cabal leader inside out. i want her to!
            sally

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by suse View Post
              When Ash woke up to 'hearing' Helen's voice.
              i wonder if ash *really* heard her mother's voice? maybe some psychic connection? but if it is, was it always there, or something the cabal was doing to her?

or, it's what ashley 'wanted' to hear... this is sad!
              sally

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by jasminaGo View Post
                Awesome season start!

My favorite moments were definitely the character scenes. Henry's confrontation with Bigfoot, Ashley's anguish when she couldn't attack Doc Psycho, the Helen/John angst (I wasn't asking you out on a date ), Helen's confrontation with Ashley (so powerful *applauds the amazing performance*).
                This. All of this. There was some superb acting from all of them, though Tapping in Magnus VS Freelander (Freelander, seriously??) was just. GUH. Honestly. Shivers. And her scene with Ashley - but, even moreso, upon getting transported back to the Sanctuary... her desperation then is pulpable.

For the not so great parts... I have no love for Kate Freemouth. One, I find her very irritating, and two she just doesn't strike me as real for the role. When she said she was a professional, my first thought was "Shouldn't you be in high school or something?"
                Dude. So with you on that. Her character seems a bit clichéd -- a tough smart-, um, -bum?, who can fight. Yeah, whatever. Doesn't hold much interest, for me at least. As of yet, very two-dimensional.

ETA: And the way she escaped -- too predictable. There was really no need to make Henry a complete fool like that.

And something that isn't a gripe against the ep, but more of a personal preference, I wish Will would shut up once in a while and let Helen shoot people. Really. She can start with New Girl, then Doc Psycho, and then the sky is the limit.
                Yes. So much YES. Dark!Helen I find incredibly interesting, enticing, and, on a shallower level, sexy as hell. Both the writing and Amanda's performance were phenomenal. Bring her on, I say.

p.s. If anyone wants them, over 300 screen caps

201 End of Nights part 1.zip
                Thank you!

Originally posted by majorsal
                first off, the way the ep was filmed, using split screens and such, was brilliant! quite a neat effect that i wasn't expecting.
                Oh, I absolutely adored how the episode was directed.Very nice job, indeed.

So, yeah. I, too, am very much looking forward to this season. <3
                Last edited by slurredspeech; 10 October 2009, 05:51 PM.
                you're so cute when you're slurring your speech but they're closing the bar and they want us to leave

'What is it, Sebastian? I'm arranging matches.'

"Religion is far more of a choice than homosexuality. And the protections that we have, for religion --we protect religion-- and talk about a lifestyle choice! That is absolutely a choice. Gay people don't choose to be gay. At what age did you choose not to be gay?" (Jon Stewart, The King of Common Sense)

Comment

as like last season, i have trouble hearing what they'r saying. my mom had 'sgu' on before sanct, and she said it was difficult then too. it could also be that one side of our stereo (on the tv) is out?.

but anyways, i know i missed some stuff (like the stargate pushing ashley through the gate talk)
                  sally

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by EH-T View Post
                    Wasn't it great to see that in a final form? Officially my favourite Sanctuary scene ever, just because we were there!
                    Yes, it is the bestest Sanctuary scene ever! Though Ryan's hair looked awfully curly

"Uh Ryan, shouldn't you be typing or something...."

Comment

Loved Ms. Chula as the Cabal doctor. If I recall, she was honoured at the Leos this year for her acting (not for this role) and I can see why AT respects her so much. She was cheerfully creepy!
                      that's where i know her! she was standing with amanda at the leos awards.
                      sally

sigpic

Comment

Well that was certainly the weakest of the shows I watch on Fridays. SGU was great, Clone Wars was terrific, Dollhouse finally had it's first good episode this season, and Sanctuary, well....

Ugh, what a letdown of a season opener. It was nice to see them finally use Vancouver as Vancouver, and that one of the 'perfect' people was named Martin Wood (), but beyond that, bleh. Slow pacing, annoying new character, John there as little more than a transportation gimmick, Tesla accomplishing little more than drinking wine, Bigfoot doing his annoying panting thing--really, not one of the characters was playing to their strengths. And it didn't even come off as desperation, it just came off as bad, boring, and uninteresting. And let's not even go into that stupid multicamera thing they tried out. God forbid they should ever do that again; I think it may finally have bested the infamous "xx hours earlier" as the single most annoying storytelling technique ever conceived.

I like Sanctuary. I was a bit bored with its first few episodes, but then there were some really awesome winners toward the end of the season that left me with bated breath and just dying for season two to start. But this season premiere was a real stinker, IMO. I hope next week is better.
                        Last edited by DigiFluid; 10 October 2009, 05:09 PM.
                        "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

I'm not a Sanctuary fan by any means, and have never seen an episode... but I have to say, the parts of this episode I did see... were bloody awesome !

Comment

Originally posted by shel View Post
                            And did anyone see what appeared in Ashley's eye when the doctor lady first called out to her, it said "help me" i think. It kind of looked like Ashley.
                            It looked like an image of Helen to me. I like that they're showing some sort of mental tie between Ashley and Helen with this and hearing her mom's voice, kinda showing the woman inside of the monster she's becoming.

Loved all the little inside things like the dual reference to Vancouver and Essex, having 3 Canadian locations mentioned, asking if it was Martin Wood's house (that one made me choke on my popcorn ), the jello reference, etc.
                            Hee, I nearly spilled my drink at the Martin Wood reference. And I think there was another reference with the orphan from Essex, Erica Kennair works for Syfy, I think.

I also enjoyed the guest stars. I thought the Kate character was funny and it was particularly striking in contrast to everyone else's anguish in the ep. Loved Ms. Chula as the Cabal doctor. If I recall, she was honoured at the Leos this year for her acting (not for this role) and I can see why AT respects her so much. She was cheerfully creepy! And Tesla was fabulous again! Love his little off-the-cuff comments like "Dr. Expendable"!

Can't wait for episode 2!
                            Heh, the bolded was exactly what I was thinking about that doctor, so happily doing something so evil. Very cool that they were able to get someone of Ms. Chula's stature to be part of their show.

And I have to say, I'm insanely jealous (in a good way! ) that you guys got to see that scene being filmed. That's what I'll be thinking about during that scene when I rewatch this episode.

sigpic

Comment

I totally loved every minute of this episode. Especially loved the fact that I got to watch it on SPACE for once.

That bit with Henry and Big Foot. When Henry started crying. I was like don't you do that or I'll start.
                              MY CONVENTIONS:

CON*CEPT MONTREAL 2006
                              MARCON COLUMBUS 2007
                              POLARIS TORONTO 2007
                              CREATION STARGATE VANCOUVER 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011 & 2012
                              GATECON VANCOUVER 2008 & 2010
                              VCON VANCOUVER 2010
                              FAN EXPO VANCOUVER 2012 & 2013

Comment

Okay time for my Review!

The Great Stuff

- The last 7 minutes storming the warehouse. And realiseing it was a trap. EU played that scene so Well i can't wait to her Ashley talk i'm assuiming her voice will change? Magnus' reaction when John Teleported her out was almost heartbreaking.

- Telsa, as always great sarcasticness about the Shaggy butler . Damn him being about to drink wine and not get drunk!

- Helen, I just love the whole Crusade of her trying to find Ashley. Amanda is playing darkHelen greatly!

- John, He's trying to be there To find Ashley which i love. I feel for him Also because he found his daughter even tho Ashley doesn't want anything to do with him and now hes lost her again, He has to be feeling the pain as well.

- Henry, The scene with Bigfoot about Loosing Ash was heartbreaking which makes me think Bigfoot is the one that dies not Ashley as everybody is suspecting.

- The Car Chase was awaesom i wished there was more like "dangerous drivin" ( i drive like that everyday ) and it was to short! lol

- Crazy dr lady was awesome too. wayy creepy

- Less green screne. a nice change

- Loved the John/ Helen Anguish. The scene was played well in the moonlight *sigh *

the Stuff I Didn't Like

- Kate, i'm sure she will grow on me but i think they could have stall her introduction a little bit more, but then agian i suppose she was the link....

- Will always having something to say to Magnus. I didn't like him in this epsidoe purley for that fact. and at the end where he follows her out of the room. wtf was that?! arggh! Will leave the lady alone!

Overall i tought it was a great season opener, so i give it 8.5/ 10.

bring on next week!
                                Thanks to Nad for my awesome sig!
                                Proud member of the SSHSOP, S.H.I.P and MOP!

Comment

Working...
                                X