Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

So... uh... what happened to travelling between galaxies?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So... uh... what happened to travelling between galaxies?

The episode is introduced in Hyperspace.
    I was thinking they were in the void.

Then they mention the previous team mission.
    I was thinking from the ruins planet or one of the other planets visited during th rescue.

Then Wray says something about a welcome to the new galaxy.
    And they gate off Destiny at the end.

The writers skipped over who knows how long a period of time between the last and this episode without so much as a mention!

How could they just disregard that event? So many stories could have been told during that time in the void.

Furthermore, now we have no indication of how long it took Destiny to travel between those two galaxies.

Daedalus takes 4 weeks without a ZPM and 4 days with a ZPM.

If Ancient hyperdrive technology from the Destiny era was competitive with modern Asgard hyperdrive technology, that would be quite interesting as to the potency of Ancient tech before Ascension.

But I would think it took a month or so, since they needed to ration food and power.

Any thoughts?

Considering the difference in the size of TJ between episodes, I'd say Pain is several months later.

"Five Rounds Rapid"

sigpic

Comment

Maybe SGU has felt they have done enough of the survival focused stories and wants to move past them into other areas?

Comment

I have to admit they didn't do a good job of establishing how much time had passed since Sabotage.

The only indication that they had arrived at the new galaxy was Chloe's comment and that came quite late in the piece. The only clue that they had been to a new planet was by virtue of those who were singled out as hosts of the ticks.

I wish in one of the earlier scenes that it was established that they were in the new galaxy and that they had just come back from an off-ship mission.

It would have avoided a little confusion.

Comment

It was a surprise to see that they were in range of another Stargate already in this episode, but I understood that a period of time had been skipped when I saw it and don't have any complaints about that.

The void between galaxies is a huge period of time - I'm sure they'll cover that later on, perhaps at the end of season 2 or season 3. The more loose ends there are, the more potential for a great story in a future episode.

I'm interested to know if the blue aliens caught up with them and will appear again... but that's a discussion for another thread
          Enjoying SGU. 'Nuff said.

Comment

I think TPTB are being purposely vague on the subject...
            sigpic

Comment

Travling the void woulldnt have added anything to the overall story. And fans would be screaming filler anyway
              https://twitter.com/#!/Solar_wind84

Comment

Originally posted by Pharaoh Atem View Post
                Travling the void woulldnt have added anything to the overall story. And fans would be screaming filler anyway
                They could have, for example, cut this episode (or move it to the second season), split "Sabotage" into two parts, with the first part dedicated to providing a more satisfying conclusion to "Lost" and the second part dealing more with being adrift, getting the ship running, and evading the aliens.

Then "Subversion," "Incursion," and "Intervention" could be set in the void.
                "From East Middle School. Suzumiya Haruhi. I have no interest in ordinary humans. If there are any aliens, time travelers, sliders, or espers here, come join me."
                - The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya; Best Character Introduction Ever.

"And can we lose the ten thousand year old dead plants?!"
                - Stargate: Atlantis (1x03) "Hide and Seek"

"Hammerheads do not load/unload units immediately – they must descend to ground level first. Initial experiments involving jump-jetting infantry into the Hammerhead’s cargo compartment met with unfortunate results."
                - Command&Conquer 3: Kane's Wrath Hammerhead Unit Spotlight

Comment

Originally posted by Pharaoh Atem View Post
                  and just think of how boring it could be? Nothing to gate to, nothing to do but... *whistles innocently* I'm sure they could have made episodes in the void and, maybe when they show has had another season under their belt they may be safe enough to do so, but right now, they've got a certain amount of episodes and a storyline that they're following. I'm happy to let them skip
                  sigpic

SGU-RELATED FANART | IN YOUNG WE TRUST | FANDUMB

Comment

I agree, I was very confused by this episode. They made such a big deal about how the ship was about to enter this massive void between galaxies. I thought for sure the next several episodes were going to explore the crew's struggles as they began to run out of supplies and have no escape from the ship. Seems like a wasted opportunity to me. Also, did we see the mission where the team picked up the ticks? I was confused as to what planet they came from. Finally, since Destiny reached a new galaxy, are we to assume that the bad aliens living in multiple galaxies? If they are THAT advanced, why do they care about Destiny so much?

Comment

I'm probably the only one who thinks Pain could have been infinitely better if it were stretched into a double episode, set entirely in the void. It would have given Binder the creative freedom to explore the psychological aspects of cabin fever, and let him tell the story that he could have, with the material he was using.

Comment

Originally posted by JustAnotherVoice View Post
                        I'm probably the only one who thinks Pain could have been infinitely better if it were stretched into a double episode, set entirely in the void. It would have given Binder the creative freedom to explore the psychological aspects of cabin fever, and let him tell the story that he could have, with the material he was using.
                        Probably.

Comment

As other's have said, simply showing the crew in the void may not have been that interesting espeically since they have no control of Destiny, the ship wasn't going to stop for anything anyway. I do think though that traveling that void offered an opportunity to explore some mystery horror sci fi which the writers maybe missed. Destiny dropping out of FTL via a proximity/collision alarm safety protocol and finding a derelict ship for instance would have been crazy.

Comment

Originally posted by Blackhole View Post
                            Maybe SGU has felt they have done enough of the survival focused stories and wants to move past them into other areas?
                            Which is ironic, seeing as people were complaining about too much "survival" stuff in the first half of the season... and people are now complaining that there's no enough of it.
                            Click the banner or episode links to visit the virtual continuations of Stargate!
                            Previous Episode: 11x03 "Shore Leave" | Previous Episode: 6x04 "Nightfall" | Now Airing: 3x06 "Eldest"

Comment

Originally posted by s09119 View Post
                              Which is ironic, seeing as people were complaining about too much "survival" stuff in the first half of the season... and people are now complaining that there's no enough of it.
                              Not to mention cries of "not enough gate use"... which couldn't have happened in the void.
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X