No announcement yet.

The New World (401)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hmmm... I don't know what to make of it to be honest. Obviously the whole thing is geared up to introduce TW to people who haven't seen it before, so I thought it was a little dull in places.

I'm not feeling any love for Rex or Esther yet, but it's early days. I'm guessing that perhaps this whole thing is to get at Jack (now that he's mortal). I thought baby Anwen was absolutely adorable. Loved Gwen putting little earmuffs on her ears.

So I'm giving this 6/10 but looking at the extended trailer for the rest of the series I think that score will rapidly shoot up cos it looks fabulous.

BTW I did worry when Rex grabbed some pills of a tray in the hospital & swigged them down. He's bloody lucky they weren't laxatives.

Comment

I thought it was great to see 'Torchwood' back on our screens.

Roll on the rest of the series.
      "What do you mean by 'Oopps'?"
      Team Starfist protects all. But having a fully loaded P-90 helps...
      Reality is an illusion... Created by those who cannot handle Stargate...!
      Jankowski's Rules: Rule 1: Check your Six!
      I'm not perfect. But parts of me are excellent I also cook...!
      To thy own self... Be true
      May the odds.... Be ever in your favour..!

Comment

I wasn't a fan of Torchwood after giving Season One a go. Really didn't like it. Really wasn't for me. But then I watched Miracle Day just by chance, and I was actually surprised at how much I enjoyed it. A great, exciting start for the series. I think I'll continue with the next episode.
        I write articles/features/reviews for I'm With Geek.com now. Check out our stuff if you get a minute!

sigpic
        Click on sig to check out my fanfic gallery too!

Comment

It was different, I kinda liked it and interested to see how it develops. I just hope that it hasn't been Americanized too much throughout the season.

Comment

From the preview of the rest of the season. I can say this plot is bigger than Jack.

Who ever behind this, they worried about gathering up whole warehouse full of supplies if there whole plot was just to eliminate one man, why collect so many supplies. So this is not about jack, he just a side effect of the scheme. Plus I really do not want another season all about Jack, like the last one was.

As to CIA agent who got spears in his chests. It looked to me like the damage can be repaired, the doc stated she repaired the damage. If that truly is the case even if his body is not healing now, if they solved what keeping everyone alive and make sure he on life support and what ever medical intervention he needs before they shut it down or reverse what ever happen he should be prefectly fine as his body own healing function will return. presuming they really did repair all the damage as stated.

One thing that really annoyed me is why did jack not just use his teleporter to get them out of Cardiff when they were surrounded by police or being chase by that helicopter.

An I still fine it hard that Jack old allies would not help him out. An who is keep that mental hospital open, that one that was helping all those rift patents. I still do not believe an organisation as powerful as Torchwood would simply vanished completely.

So who is behind this, I am kind of hoping it torchwood 4, the one that went missing. This way once there plan to restore the British empire is stopped, Jack can take over its resources and rebuild torchwood into a proper organisation again.

The action scene were good and you can tell that for once someone have gave them money to spend. I hope they keep the quality up.

I do not think the concept of miricle day is big enough for ten episodes and I think it will need other stories and expanded plots for it work for 10 episodes. An they better not fixed everything in the last ten seconds like they did last season.

Comment

Originally posted by knowles2 View Post
              From the preview of the rest of the season. I can say this plot is bigger than Jack.

Who ever behind this, they worried about gathering up whole warehouse full of supplies if there whole plot was just to eliminate one man, why collect so many supplies. So this is not about jack, he just a side effect of the scheme. Plus I really do not want another season all about Jack, like the last one was.

As to CIA agent who got spears in his chests. It looked to me like the damage can be repaired, the doc stated she repaired the damage. If that truly is the case even if his body is not healing now, if they solved what keeping everyone alive and make sure he on life support and what ever medical intervention he needs before they shut it down or reverse what ever happen he should be prefectly fine as his body own healing function will return. presuming they really did repair all the damage as stated.

One thing that really annoyed me is why did jack not just use his teleporter to get them out of Cardiff when they were surrounded by police or being chase by that helicopter.

An I still fine it hard that Jack old allies would not help him out. An who is keep that mental hospital open, that one that was helping all those rift patents. I still do not believe an organisation as powerful as Torchwood would simply vanished completely.

So who is behind this, I am kind of hoping it torchwood 4, the one that went missing. This way once there plan to restore the British empire is stopped, Jack can take over its resources and rebuild torchwood into a proper organisation again.

The action scene were good and you can tell that for once someone have gave them money to spend. I hope they keep the quality up.

I do not think the concept of miricle day is big enough for ten episodes and I think it will need other stories and expanded plots for it work for 10 episodes. An they better not fixed everything in the last ten seconds like they did last season.
              This is getting very interesting!
              sigpic

Comment

No plot is bigger than Jack!!!

Love this idea that the Torchwood hub that went missing has gone rogue somehow.
                sigpic

Comment

Am I the only one that hated it? I loved the first three series, but this one is terrible! It's got far too American, there were gapping holes and really bad acting! For example when Rex was trying to get out of hospital. Also, there is no way that the phone would have stayed on him in that position.

The bit that really annoyed me was when Rex was on the phone to Esther all through the hospital, in the cab, on the plane and then until he got to Gwen's house in Wales, all while having the same conversation! Yet when did he get time to ring that woman to bring his passport? And it would take ages to get from Heathrow to the Welsh border and to the seaside. The conversation would have been finished by that time! Why was he not stopped by police or someone at the toll-border if he'd have been on the phone all the time while driving. The UK have a ban on using mobile phones while driving. It wouldn't matter if he was CIA, it is dangerous driving!

Honestly, I thought it was terrible. I'll try the next episode, but I don't think it will be any better judging by the trailer. Bring back the warmth of the British only Torchwood! At least that was well thought out!

Comment

I see where you are coming from. I didn't feel an overwhelming love for it either. But I think most of this first episode is an introduction for people who haven't seen TW before, so I'm happy to keep watching & hopefully it will get better. However, I did like the look of the trailer for the upcoming episodes.

BTW It wasn't the same long continuous conversation. It was snippets of different conversations all edited together. For example, we know that he wasn't on the phone on the aeroplane as Jack grabbed the phone off him & turned it off.

Comment

There was a gap yes, but I meant really from landing then all the way to Wales. And the conversation flowed, like it was all one.

Comment

Thought it was a reasonably good start to a 10-part series, considering it had to 1) introduce a new audience to the old characters (and mythology), and 2) introduce new characters to the old audience.

Bill Pullman's immediate release from prison will go down in history as one of the biggest suspensions of disbelief I've ever had to muster for a TV show. Even if he has a valid argument (he doesn't -- it's metaphysical, based on a definition of an "act of God"), he'd be tied up in legal proceedings indefinitely. Serving the sentence for his crime aside, he's an immediate danger to society.

The second thing I had a big problem with was the CIA guy's flight from the hospital and trans-Atlantic travel. No intervention from hospital staff / security as he is grabbing pills (not even looking to see what they are), throwing them in his mouth and stuffing them in his pockets? Absolutely ridiculous. He's acting like a crazy person, breaking the law, stealing ... all in the name of "I work for the CIA and I have am important mission!" The whole sequence was quite stupid, really, and made me dislike the character and shake my head at Russell Davies.

I liked the female CIA agent, though I have no idea what her name is. Her first encounter with Jack was very reminiscent of how Gwen started out with Torchwood.

Loved Gwen (she looks great). Baby is super-cute. And Rhys is exactly right that, after the last few years, they need to stay as far away from anything Torchwoody. ... Until the whole world is at risk of collapse within 4 months, that is.

I also don't understand why, after the events of Children of Earth, they're still being hunted. Keeping a low profile is one thing. But black helicopters shooting rockets at their house while the world is in the middle of a Torchwoody crisis? If this continues without explanation, I'm going to be frustrated.

[For anyone who is interested: News reports last week said that Starz and the BBC are going to air different cuts, one with more adult stuff and the other potentially longer in runtime. I ran the Starz version on my PC in sync with the BBC broadcast, and for this first episode they were shot-for-shot identical.]
                        GateWorld Podcast - Info - iTunes - Google
                        The Stargate Omnipedia - www.StargateOmnipedia.com
                        Stargate Image Gallery - www.StargateGallery.com

Comment

1. Interesting how they started things in the US.

2. Oh come on...are we seriously meant to believe that Gwen and Rhys don't have the Internet at least?

3. Danes is scum and others here have a point, surely TPTB would find a way to keep him locked up!

4. First impression of CIA characters...meh!

5. All we know right now is that Jack isn't healing...that does not mean he isn't still immortal and even if he wasn't...pretty sure than at one point he wanted to be fixed.

So far, meh.
                          I SURF FOR THE FREEDOM!

Comment

1. Interesting how they started things in the US.

2. Oh come on...are we seriously meant to believe that Gwen and Rhys don't have the Internet at least?

3. Danes is scum and others here have a point, surely TPTB would find a way to keep him locked up!

4. First impression of CIA characters...meh!

5. All we know right now is that Jack isn't healing...that does not mean he isn't still immortal and even if he wasn't...pretty sure than at one point he wanted to be fixed.

So far, meh.
                            I SURF FOR THE FREEDOM!

Comment

I thought the 10th Doctor disabled that part of the gadget.

Comment

Darren has reminded me of a thought I had.

The Female CIA agent... The American 'Gwen'...?
                                Just a thought.
                                "What do you mean by 'Oopps'?"
                                Team Starfist protects all. But having a fully loaded P-90 helps...
                                Reality is an illusion... Created by those who cannot handle Stargate...!
                                Jankowski's Rules: Rule 1: Check your Six!
                                I'm not perfect. But parts of me are excellent I also cook...!
                                To thy own self... Be true
                                May the odds.... Be ever in your favour..!

Comment

Working...
                                X