Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Stigma being a Stargate Fan (or fan of any Scifi really)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I feel that i would hesitate when saying i was a stargate fan, mostly because the uneducated out there would assume i mean star trek and thus I would be cheesey as star trek is.

Comment

I think most people who matter know the difference... then again, I'm a fan of both and no, Star Trek isn't cheesy.

(Yes, I'm female. Okay?)
      Sum, ergo scribo...

My own site ** FF.net * All That We Leave Behind * Symbiotica ** AO3
      sigpic
      now also appearing on DeviantArt
      Explore Colonel Frank Cromwell's odyssey after falling through the Stargate in Season Two's A Matter of Time, and follow Jack's search for him. Significant Tok'ra supporting characters and a human culture drawn from the annals of history. Book One of the series By Honor Bound.

Comment

I don't think he means cheesy as in sentimental, more of the camp/tacky variety.

Comment

I like Star Trek, Star Wars, Stargate, and a few other sci-fi shows. I will also say this here, I love soap operas as well. If someone doesn't like what you like or says they hate it to your face, then nuts to them. I like what I like and I love it. I don't necessarily think there's a stigma to those that like Sci-Fi or if there is I'm not seeing it but I don't care. A lot of people must like sci-fi as well for it to be referenced in so many shows like The Simpsons, Family Guy, and so many other countless shows that I can't think of at the moment. There will always be some that certain shows or types of shows don't appeal to no matter what the show is about.

For example, my dad hates House and he is glad it's going off the air. Me, I've never watched it but I know it has it's fans. I say this a lot when he says something like this, "they don't care if you hate their show or if you don't watch because House lasted as long as it did." I think there are just some people that just won't like something if it's not their cup of tea instead of just being neutral.

Comment

I've never understood why people will look down on someone for liking "X" TV show. Really, who cares? I mean, it's one thing if you're censoring children's TV viewing, but aside from that, who cares?

Comment

Originally posted by KEK View Post
              I don't think he means cheesy as in sentimental, more of the camp/tacky variety.
              I don't see "cheesy" as a synonym for "sentimental". And I don't think Trek is cheesy. The original was campy, but it was meant to be a bit that way. None of the franchise is what I'd call tacky (well, except for some elements in the 'reboot' film).

(Yes, I'm female. Okay?)
              Sum, ergo scribo...

sigpic
              Explore Colonel Frank Cromwell's odyssey after falling through the Stargate in Season Two's A Matter of Time, and follow Jack's search for him. Significant Tok'ra supporting characters and a human culture drawn from the annals of history. Book One of the series By Honor Bound.

Comment

What most people call cheesey is everyone standing around the bridge, shouting out technical dialogue while their fingers dance along colorful consoles.

TNG was a hit, because most episodes revolved around narrative. DS9 didn't catch, because of the space station setting. VOY didn't catch as well as TNG, because it was too similar in concept. By the time ENT rolled around, no one was watching UPN anymore, thus the show didn't have a chance. Simple, really.

Comment

Scifi might have had a stigma stuck to it from the Star trek days (early conventions), but not so much anymore. We live in a society where half the movies are about comic book heroes.. so that tells you how slack we give people.

What I find troubling is that younger people seem to have lost the ability to understand what is reality and what is a made up TV show. For kicks go look around postings for the show Castle, seems like some of the people there think the lead actors are realy dating and freak over ever little show detail. At least the old trekkies knew what was real and what wasn't.

Comment

Originally posted by SF_and_Coffee View Post
                    I don't see "cheesy" as a synonym for "sentimental". And I don't think Trek is cheesy. The original was campy, but it was meant to be a bit that way. None of the franchise is what I'd call tacky (well, except for some elements in the 'reboot' film).
                    I think for most people, actors with make-upon pretending to be aliens is pretty tacky.

Comment

I think most people who matter know the difference... then again, I'm a fan of both and no, Star Trek isn't cheesy.
                      I meant the general look of the starships, they look really fake and cheap. CGI and acting was good but the sets were terrible.

Comment

Originally posted by KEK View Post
                        I think for most people, actors with make-upon pretending to be aliens is pretty tacky.
                        And it isn't tacky for people to have huge numbers of kids and make a show about it, or engage in stupid elimination contests to see who gets to be with a particular "bachelor" or "bachelorette", or portray/perpetuate ethnic stereotypes like the whole "guido/guidette" business on a certain "reality" show?

Maybe I'm just showing my age, but as far as I'm concerned, the above examples epitomize the term "tacky".

Give me the made-up aliens every time.

(Yes, I'm female. Okay?)
                        Sum, ergo scribo...

sigpic

Comment

And it isn't tacky for people to have huge numbers of kids and make a show about it, or engage in stupid elimination contests to see who gets to be with a particular "bachelor" or "bachelorette", or portray/perpetuate ethnic stereotypes like the whole "guido/guidette" business on a certain "reality" show?

Maybe I'm just showing my age, but as far as I'm concerned, the above examples epitomize the term "tacky".

Give me the made-up aliens every time.
                          Ditto.

Comment

Really! How can Stargate carry a stigma while people drown in a cesspool of fake reality shows?

Comment

In my mind? Yeah. In most people's? Probably not. To most people making a show about "reality" is more worthwhile than making a show about aliens and spaceships and what not. I think the majority of people just find it all a bit silly, actors in makeup pretending to be aliens even more so.

Comment

Most People understand if I say I am a fan of LOST or Fringe or whatever trendy show is new out there, but if I say Stargate.. or even DS9, Supernatural or Buffy they tend to look to me with big eyes and say what ? ( but mostly because they never heard of it when it comes down to stargate and supernatural ) if you are in the right group of people it really does not matter what you like mostly because the others are watching it as well ( at least in my case ) even my roomate ( girl ) used to watch stargate but stopped after RDA left the show
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X