Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Been hearing that this show is a little...slow and cheesy True?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Initially i also thought it was a bit cheesy but it grew on me. Season 2-4 are excellent.

Comment

Originally posted by TheHammond View Post
      Slow, very, but it's always building.

Cheesy? Not at all, especially when you compare it's far more realistic approach to humankind than say ST.
      Agreed. Though I do like watching ST because of its good stories, B5's vision of the future feels the most realistic to me, especially with the turbulent turns of government within the Earth Alliance. ST's utopian future seemed radically unrealistic to me at times, which is why DS9 appealed to me a great deal. DS9 chipped away at that rosy picture and brought some realism and grit to that rosy, unrealistic utopia.

Originally posted by Nemises View Post
      Initially i also thought it was a bit cheesy but it grew on me. Season 2-4 are excellent.
      I've described B5 to people as a "slow burn." Like any good book, it hooks you in, and takes its time to expose the characters. But when the action gets going, it really gets going, all the way to Endgame & Rising Star in season 4.
      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Cold Fuzz View Post
        Agreed. Though I do like watching ST because of its good stories, B5's vision of the future feels the most realistic to me, especially with the turbulent turns of government within the Earth Alliance. ST's utopian future seemed radically unrealistic to me at times, which is why DS9 appealed to me a great deal. DS9 chipped away at that rosy picture and brought some realism and grit to that rosy, unrealistic utopia.
        Not to start a flame war or anything, but I really can't abide Star Trek. Of the big three franchises: Trek, Dr. Who, and Stargate, Trek is the one that consistently didn't pull its own weight.
        Sincerely,

Kevin Long
        (The Artist Formerly Known As Republibot 3.0)
        http://www.kevin-long.com

Comment

Originally posted by Republibot 3.0 View Post
          Not to start a flame war or anything, but I really can't abide Star Trek. Of the big three franchises: Trek, Dr. Who, and Stargate, Trek is the one that consistently didn't pull its own weight.
          Given a choice of watching Stargate, Trek, or Who on a given night, I'd probably choose the following: SGU (not Atlantis or SG-1), DS9, and maybe Who. I liked some of the stories for it but its re-watch value for me is personally very low.
          sigpic

Comment

Given a choice of watching Stargate, Trek, or Who on a given night, I'd probably choose the following: SGU (not Atlantis or SG-1), DS9, and maybe Who. I liked some of the stories for it but its re-watch value for me is personally very low.
            LOL, I think we'd be watching the exact same lineup
            I'll bring the popcorn...
            sigpic

SGU-RELATED FANART | IN YOUNG WE TRUST | FANDUMB

Comment

I wouldn't consider the show to be cheesy or slow at all. I suppose season 1 might be the slowest but I think that goes for most shows. You also might have to look past the CG but that's not hard to do.

Originally posted by Republibot 3.0 View Post
              I love Star Trek but I think out of all the sci-fi shows I have watched it is the most unrealistic. IMO of course.
              The worship of Talos is strictly forbidden!

Comment

Originally posted by xxxevilgrinxxx View Post
                LOL, I think we'd be watching the exact same lineup
                I'll bring the popcorn...
                And I'll make sure to bring crackers (I like the garlic-flavored triscuits myself) and some cheese (cheddar and pepper jack).

Here's my line-up:

SGU: Space
                DS9: The Darkness and the Light
                B5: Severed Dreams
                DW: Tooth and Claw
                Last edited by Cold Fuzz; 13 November 2010, 09:50 PM.
                sigpic

Comment

i think babylon 5 is amazing through all its seasons and its one of my top four fav tv shows ever so i highly recommend you watch it.
                  sigpic
                  The best written female character on trek ever.

Comment

I don't know that I would call season 1 slow. I guess that maybe in a way it could be considered slow, but as has been mentioned, the show was introducing characters and setting the stage for future seasons. Once you knew more about the characters and how they interacted with each other, the show became more exciting. I think it is interesting to note that even the little things the characters said or did made no sense at the time became important in future episodes.

Comment

Originally posted by Grumpy View Post
                      I think it is interesting to note that even the little things the characters said or did made no sense at the time became important in future episodes.
                      I definitely had this feeling the first time I re-watched season 1. I was amazed at how many seemingly little details cropped up again later on in the series. A line or two that might have seen innocuous at the time ended up being enormously important.
                      sigpic

Comment

I definitely had this feeling the first time I re-watched season 1. I was amazed at how many seemingly little details cropped up again later on in the series. A line or two that might have seen innocuous at the time ended up being enormously important.
                        That was one of the more enjoyable things about Babylon 5. When I got all the seasons, it was great seeing how season 1, despite being considered the weakest seasons, was probably one of the most important simply because of all the seemingly minor stuff that was going on.

sigpic

Comment

I just finished watching B5 for the first time and am finding my first rewatch to be very interesting. I originally thought that I'd just have a better understanding of the story arcs. However, as you mentioned, there are many little hints of things to come, and things whose significance I totally missed the first time around. Which I should have expected given how well-written the show is.

I'd agree there are some cheesy aspects of B5 which can be quite off-putting in the beginning but after the first few episodes the writing really overshadows all of that. (Although some members of my family couldn't get past their first impressions and quit watching it). It's not light fare, like SG-1 and SGA, either, and the characters, while largely heroic, have real flaws and problems that do not ultimately have neat little resolutions. And some are actually tragic.

The overall feel isn't as bleak as BSG though. It definitely retains that hopeful optimism that things will actually be better in the future. But not easily, and not without personal sacrifice on the part of a great many people.

I also never thought B5 was slow, but my favorite movie is 2001: A Space Odyssey so my opinion on pacing might not be worth all that much.
                          Last edited by VSS; 07 December 2010, 07:30 PM.

Comment

Most everyone said it right.

B5 is a very awesome story. truly epic.
                            Season one will seam slow, but in the bigger picture, season one is really just setting up the introductions to the major characters, storys, beliefs and history of the races, people, etc.

If its your first time watching it, it may seam "cheesy" if you base shows entirly off of CGI. but B5 isn't about the CGI, its about the story. the CGI just helps paint a truly epic arc
                            Homer: WHEN PIGS FLY!...
                            (a pig was in a cannon, and got shot accross the town, right were homer can see)

Homer: Doh!

Comment

Originally posted by VSS View Post
                              I just finished watching B5 for the first time and am finding my first rewatch to be very interesting. I originally thought that I'd just have a better understanding of the story arcs. However, as you mentioned, there are many little hints of things to come, and things whose significance I totally missed the first time around. Which I should have expected given how well-written the show is.

I'd agree there are some cheesy aspects of B5 which can be quite off-putting in the beginning but after the first few episodes the writing really overshadows all of that. (Although some members of my family couldn't get past their first impressions and quit watching it). It's not light fare, like SG-1 and SGA, either, and the characters, while largely heroic, have real flaws and problems that do not ultimately have neat little resolutions. And some are actually tragic.

The overall feel isn't as bleak as BSG though. It definitely retains that hopeful optimism that things will actually be better in the future. But not easily, and not without personal sacrifice on the part of a great many people.

I also never thought B5 was slow, but my favorite movie is 2001: A Space Odyssey so my opinion on pacing might not be worth all that much.
                              BsG was downright apocalyptic. B5 approached that with the climax of the Shadow War, especially with so many people dying. However Sheridan, Delenn, and the birth of the Interstellar Alliance reversed all of that quite triumphantly. But you're right. That triumph exacted terrible price, with the personal cost to people like Ivanova & Delenn (especially losing her husband) absolutely staggering. And then there are those where that triumph never came, unfortunately—Londo.
                              sigpic

Comment

Babylon 5 is just good solid sci fi fun. I watched all of it on netflix and I have actually chosen it over star trek to buy all the seasons retroactively.
                                Carl Sagan on Nuclear self Destruction

Comment

Working...
                                X