No announcement yet.

Closing Time (3212)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I was a bit disappointed by the end (not the River bit).

I was really looking forward to this episode having a grim ending of Craig being turned into a Cyberman. I still expected him to be himself (like Yvonne) and go on a rampage to save The Doctor, Stormageddon and because it was a half assed conversion (like Torchwood's Cyber Lady)thought The Doctor would undo it as they were just putting overlaying the armour rather than replacing body parts.

If they didn't make fun of love saving the day, I'd have been pissed at such a cheesy ending.

Other than that, I really enjoyed the episode. I love seeing the interaction between Craig and The Doctor, and of course Stormageddon too. Bit disappointed The Doctor went from 909 (last episode) to 1103 over the course of one episode. Tenth knew he'd regenerate, so visited all his previous companions but I'd love to know what Eleven did knowing he's going to his death.
    Last edited by SaberBlade; 25 September 2011, 08:24 AM.

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by 4thDoctor View Post
      GAH! Young people! I've been watching a few fan reviews of "Closing Time" and I am amazed at how many young fans think that the Cybermats were called "cyber rats" and that they are brand new characters. No sense of Who history.
      I think if I heard anyone calling them cyber-rats I'd kick them in the shins.
      Please do me a huge favour and help me be with the love of my life.

Comment

Originally posted by P-90_177 View Post
        I think if I heard anyone calling them cyber-rats I'd kick them in the shins.
        Yes, and then tell them that the pain they just felt must have been caused by CYBERMATS!

THE TARDIS DATA CORE - Encyclopaedia and reference site covering DOCTOR WHO, K-9 AND COMPANY, TORCHWOOD,THE SARAH JANE ADVENTURES,
        K-9, CLASS and much more...

Comment

I must admit... I part expected the cyber-conversion to be fully completed.

Having recently watched Attack of the Cybermen, I wondered if the obviously pudgy Cyberleader was going to be retconned into being Craig... it would have explained a lot in a morbid sense.

Anyone notice how needy the Cybermen seem to be in terms of searching for a new father figure to lead them, nearly ALL the time...?

Loved the ep though! Really good fun!

"Five Rounds Rapid"

sigpic

Comment

A few choices in the ages and timelines still have me wondering.

- Why would the 1103 doctor choose to contact the Rory and Amy from BEFORE he left them for 200 years?
            - If it's River in the Space Suit the kills him, and she is in prison for killing him, then the version of her that goes to Utah/1969 is a version from after those events?

Not quite sure how to phrase them other than that, but it seems to me that the doctor would want them in the point of their timeline where they would have the most knowledge (i.e. Who River is)

And I'm not sure I like Moffat's random use of Cybermen throughout his tenure. At least with RTD's Cybermen, you always knew where they came from. Moffat's Cybermen seem to contradict the Doctor's statement about them from "Dalek"
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Archaeis View Post
              A few choices in the ages and timelines still have me wondering.

- Why would the 1103 doctor choose to contact the Rory and Amy from BEFORE he left them for 200 years?
              Because they need to rejoin his 909-year old self.

- If it's River in the Space Suit the kills him, and she is in prison for killing him, then the version of her that goes to Utah/1969 is a version from after those events?
              That's right. If you recall, the River that was invited to the beach along with Amy and Rory was already locked up in the Stormcage for murder. So why River on the beach doesn't recognise the circumstances surrounding the murder and seems to be genuinely surprised by it all is something that is yet to be answered.

And I'm not sure I like Moffat's random use of Cybermen throughout his tenure. At least with RTD's Cybermen, you always knew where they came from. Moffat's Cybermen seem to contradict the Doctor's statement about them from "Dalek"
              What statement about the Cybermen in Dalek?
              • And as for the recent appearances of the Cybermen...
              • The Cybermen left a sentry to guard the Pandorica.

• The Cybermen entered in to an alliance to trap the Doctor within the Pandorica.

• The Cyber Fleet in a sector of space monitor communications.

• The Cybermen crashed on Earth...crashed on Earth.

Their appearances have been pretty self explanatory I think.

THE TARDIS DATA CORE - Encyclopaedia and reference site covering DOCTOR WHO, K-9 AND COMPANY, TORCHWOOD,THE SARAH JANE ADVENTURES,
              K-9, CLASS and much more...

Comment

Oh my. That was such a great episode - a funny and exciting adventure all wrapped up with a sweet bow, but with an undercurrent of super-sad, culminating in shock. Despite a lifetime of seeing regenerations come and go, despite a lifetime of last-minute reprieves and twists that could make a hurricane dizzy, they still manage to make me feel like I'm about to lose a dear friend. This show never ceases to amaze me.
                sigpic

Comment

I absolutely loved this episode. So funny and with a few unexpected very moving moments as well.

Favourite bits

"You've redecorated! I don't like it."

Stormageddon

Grinding pepper over Craig.

"Look they gave me a badge with my name on in case I forget who I am. Very thoughtful. As that does happen."

"Alignment of Exeter."
                  "Mind Yappy, the robot dog. Not as much fun as I remember."
                  Craig - "Do I look like I'm stupid?" The Doctor - "Quiet Stormy."
                  "I've never excreted any weird alien gasses at you."
                  Nice seeing Amy & Rory briefly. I noticed Rory was carrying all the bags.
                  Craig - "Can't you put that on quiet?" The Doctor - "No. It's a sonic screwdriver. Sonic equals sound."
                  "Take this. I got it with my discount 10% off. It's a papoose!"
                  "I'm so old. So near the end."
                  "Don't worry! I have an app for that."
                  "Come along, Bitey."

I was nearly moved to tears at the end, the Doctor sounded so old, so tired and so resigned to death.

I was completely surprised at seeing River. But I still don't think she is going to kill the Doctor. It far too obvious for the Moff IMO.

I can't wait for next Saturday! BTW I'd love Craig to become a full time companion. But I don't know what Sophie & Stormageddon would think to that.

Comment

He likes being called "Alfie" now. 4docwhosmiley.gif
                    sigpic
                    Although bow ties are cool, the scarf is cooler!

Comment

Originally posted by Blencathra View Post
                      Nice seeing Amy & Rory briefly. I noticed Rory was carrying all the bags.
                      I was surprised at seeing both of them, and thought their names in the beginning credits were just a mistake or being overlooked, as I never thought they'd be back for a cameo so soon! and Amy selling perfume -- perfect!

"Mind Yappy, the robot dog. Not as much fun as I remember."
                      Was that an indirect reference to K-9 and his perpetual (but *awesome*) yappiness??

GAH! Young people! I've been watching a few fan reviews of "Closing Time" and I am amazed at how many young fans think that the Cybermats were called "cyber rats" and that they are brand new characters. No sense of Who history.
                      I haven't read the forums elsewhere, but yeah -- no sense of D.WHO history. Or, maybe they've just never seen any Patrick Troughton (Doctor #2) eppies yet.
                      I think the biggest difference between the latest Cybermats and the ones during Tom Baker's era is that the teeth don't look like a cartoon of felt glued onto the mouth. Plus, they now light up red in their underspines like Cylons (of the newest BSG series). =)

Comment

That's right. If you recall, the River that was invited to the beach along with Amy and Rory was already locked up in the Stormcage for murder. So why River on the beach doesn't recognise the circumstances surrounding the murder and seems to be genuinely surprised by it all is something that is yet to be answered.
                        River may not have known the circumstances surrounding his death, as The Silence could have erased it from her memory.

Just after The Doctor dies she shoots at the Astronaut and nothing happens. She says something like "no, of course not". It's very possible that River knows she killed The Doctor and was doing time for it, but never knew the circumstances surrounding it, such as when, where or how.

So she knows she kills him, but it wasn't until she witnessed it that everything came together.

The Doctor knows the circumstances surrounding his death (maybe not all of it, but enough) so he knows that Amy, Rory and River were there when it happened (not sure about Canton). As a result he knows that he needs to invite them again or else he'll be changing his own past and future which could be catastrophic.

If it's River in the Space Suit the kills him, and she is in prison for killing him, then the version of her that goes to Utah/1969 is a version from after those events?
                        Yes. The version of River of who kills the The Doctor is still early in her regeneration, so barring any unexpected adventures she'll have been studying at Luna University for a few years in order to earn her doctorate. So none of the other episodes she's appeared in has happened for her yet, with the killing of The Doctor being much later in her life (but before Ten meets her).

sigpic

Comment

I was completely surprised at seeing River. But I still don't think she is going to kill the Doctor. It far too obvious for the Moff IMO.
                          me either ... i am stepping wayyyyyyy out and think that Daddy (Rory) will take her place! .... ok i know it is a stretch. but, would Rory or The Dr. want River to have to live with that? Don't you think as much as she loves the DR. she would remember that? wouldn't it be in her diary(well i guess it was but, no notes of what the occasion was?)

could it be something that Rory and the Dr. worked out?

The Silence will fall when the questions is asked? Question - why do I have to die? then the silence will fall. does the Dr. have to die to fulfill some squashing of the Silence? He has spoken an awful lot about how much he invested into saving the earth from the Silence.

dunno ... but, agree ... can't see Moffitt being so obvious. Yet, could see him changing original intentions if he thinks it would be a twist and too much chatter of it not being River.

*headdesk*

will wait patiently to find out ... will wait patiently to find out ... will wait patiently to find out.

one more point .... seemed person by the beach hut in UTAH ... second Silence guy "they are your handlers"?

patience ... patience ....

teehee!!
                          sigpic
                          SCORE!!
                          The Babe's Fave Song Tourney ~ Super Sonic Sixties 66/67 ~ Clickie!!

Comment

He likes being called "Alfie" now. [ATTACH=CONFIG]32041[/ATTACH]
                            But The Doctor did call him Stormageddon a lot... more often than seemed necessary.. *thinks Stormageddon, Dark Lord of All might be coming back at some point*

Comment

Originally posted by aintright View Post
                              "they are your handlers"?
                              I thought Kovarian said, "They are your owners!"

Comment

Originally posted by Archaeis View Post
                                Apart from logic/maths, was there anything in the episode to confirm that he's just been away for two hundred years - almost a fifth of his life, "off screen" - adventuring without the audience, just to fill the gap before coming back to Craig's house?

Comment

Working...
                                X